Total players: 5
Gallery

Links Menu

XP Cap oddities

General discussion about Avlis

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Dungeon Masters

XP Cap oddities

PostAuthor: Kandi_Nulein » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:07 pm

Just logged in today and it appears I have an xp cap of -6913. (minus 6913)

Timer began on day 16761

It is day 16769

Timer resets on day 16768

Most strange. Has something like this happened before?
Member of The Plethora Fanclub!

Currently playing: Roxxy (Kandi's ward), Flutterbye, a half sylph psion with a doll named Norman and Mungo Buggins, a rotund Hin with a pie eating problem.
Kandi_Nulein
Scholar

Timezone: GMT

Re: XP Cap oddities

PostAuthor: Flyinhigh » Tue May 10, 2016 1:34 am

I was doing a search for XP cap issues and this was the only thing I've found. While I have never had a negative cap, the past 2 weeks I've noticed some characters don't start their new weeks with a full cap. One character last week only started with 3500ish (should have been 7K) and another had about 7500 (should have been 10k based on level).

Is this a known issue?
Flyinhigh
Team Member; Retired with Honors

Timezone: GMT-6

PostAuthor: Tel » Tue May 10, 2016 2:13 am

I've been told in the past there are a few parts to the XP cap.

Weekly XP cap & Monthly XP cap (XP gained off world was counted against "monthly" XP gain), separate from Quest XP, DM-granted XP

With the new 2x combat XP & 50% party XP toward cap, that would mean you could be getting as much as 4x as much combat XP as before.

perhaps we're seeing people getting close to / going over Monthly XP cap which may not have been changed? (all this could be wrong and is based on what I've been told in the past)
Tel
Apprentice Scholar

Timezone: GMT-5

PostAuthor: Gorgon » Tue May 10, 2016 2:42 am

I doubt the double combat XP is at fault directly, but if you are hitting your cap fast, then making more off-world or from other (non-DM) sources, you might be seeing the effects of what Tel called the monthly cap. It is more like a governor to reduce your next week's cap if you go way over on the previous week.

Experience System: Maximum XP
Experience System: Maximum XP wrote:There is a cap adjustment based on your PC's overall XP gain the previous week (excluding XP gained from DM cookies and RPotM). This will reduce, but not eliminate, other sources of XP if you go over a certain amount. It will not however kick in until 1.5 times your cap, which gives you a great deal of leeway in how you choose to gain that XP. Effectively, this means that there is a monthly cap of 21,000 XP from level 1 - 5, 42,000 from 6 - 19, 60,000 from 20 - 29 and 84,000 from 30 - 40.

...or it could be a bug with all the new changes lately. I know, I'm a great help (no clue really). X:|

When the bug tracker gets replaced (should be soon), add it there, and you can always post it in ATT or send the staff a PM before that too. They know far more than players.
"God not only plays dice, he throws them in the corner where you can't see them."
-- Stephen William Hawking (b. 1942) --

Sprucing up ye olde NWN | Modifying nwn.ini and nwnplayer.ini | ~Rare Items Wanted~ | Stealth Modifiers
Gorgon
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster

Timezone: PST -8

PostAuthor: Seka » Tue May 10, 2016 3:08 am

I suspect this is a collision between one system that changed and another that didn't. With the party discount, 1XP gained does not necessarily = 1XP against your cap. It's possible to earn 20K XP (in an Avlis-approved way) while your cap is just 10K. However, the cap adjustment system that Gorgon's referring to did not change and is simply looking at how much XP you gained in the previous week in order to determine whether your cap needs adjusting for the current week. We'll need to review the cap adjustment system and make sure it plays nice with the recent change.

I'll have a look at it and discuss teamside.
Last edited by Seka on Tue May 10, 2016 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Seka
CCC
CCC

Timezone: EDT (GMT -4)

PostAuthor: Flyinhigh » Tue May 10, 2016 4:54 am

Thanks for the info guys, and thanks for taking a look under the hood, Seka!
Flyinhigh

PostAuthor: Seka » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:47 am

Flyinhigh wrote:I was doing a search for XP cap issues and this was the only thing I've found. While I have never had a negative cap, the past 2 weeks I've noticed some characters don't start their new weeks with a full cap. One character last week only started with 3500ish (should have been 7K) and another had about 7500 (should have been 10k based on level).

Is this a known issue?

FYI: with the latest update, Maximum XP per week has been increased to be 2X your weekly experience cap. That means you shouldn't start a new week with less than a full cap unless you earned more than twice your cap in the previous week. This should resolve the issue for most cases.

Thanks for bringing it to our attention!

S.
Seka
CCC
CCC

Timezone: EDT (GMT -4)

PostAuthor: Flyinhigh » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:51 pm

Seka wrote:
Flyinhigh wrote:I was doing a search for XP cap issues and this was the only thing I've found. While I have never had a negative cap, the past 2 weeks I've noticed some characters don't start their new weeks with a full cap. One character last week only started with 3500ish (should have been 7K) and another had about 7500 (should have been 10k based on level).

Is this a known issue?

FYI: with the latest update, Maximum XP per week has been increased to be 2X your weekly experience cap. That means you shouldn't start a new week with less than a full cap unless you earned more than twice your cap in the previous week. This should resolve the issue for most cases.

Thanks for bringing it to our attention!

S.
:prost:
Flyinhigh

PostAuthor: Tulip » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:33 am

Heya. My friend's got a -1 XP cap on his character. Last time he was online was a few days ago, and he had a lot of cap left. Should I tell him to wait until the next reset? His GSID flak_money76 and the character is Vocatur Stellarum.
TulipRural Feypriest Archervenger of Dru'El and Fey of Flappertunity
Harry Hammerwell — some dwarf
Tulip
Prince of Bloated Discourse

Timezone: Eastern (GMT-4)

PostAuthor: Toadyx » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:34 pm

Tulip wrote:Heya. My friend's got a -1 XP cap on his character. Last time he was online was a few days ago, and he had a lot of cap left. Should I tell him to wait until the next reset? His GSID flak_money76 and the character is Vocatur Stellarum.

Yep .. that just happened to me on Elysia.. and also my chests weren't loading. I ran over to the Wilderness and that seems to have solved my problem. Maybe Elysia needs a kicking?

Toadyx
Apprentice Scholar

Timezone: gmt

PostAuthor: Ronan » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:38 pm

Something was absolutely strange on Elysia. My minions of terror have invadedand reset the server for you. Let us know if there are continuing problems there.
Ronan
Head of Staff
Head of Staff

DM Avatar: Wilsash

PostAuthor: Tulip » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:21 pm

Thanks, Ronan and minions. Will check it out today =)
TulipRural Feypriest Archervenger of Dru'El and Fey of Flappertunity
Harry Hammerwell — some dwarf
Tulip
Prince of Bloated Discourse

Timezone: Eastern (GMT-4)

Return to The Avlis Project: General Discussion