Visimontium - (0)
Underdark - (0)
Total players: 4
Gallery

Links Menu

Character Vault Wipe

General discussion about Avlis

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Dungeon Masters

Do you like the idea of wiping out the entire vault?

Yes
28%
No
68%
Maybe (Specify below)
4%

Total votes : 156

Re: Character Vault Wipe

PostAuthor: othotbail » Wed May 28, 2008 2:45 pm

I would say no, but it is a very novel idea.

To accomplish what it would be like, you don't really need to wipe the vault, why not have the DM's hijack a server and ask everyone to leave above level 5. If you wanted to participate you could roll up a new player and have at it. I have a feeling the novelty would wear off very quickly for most.
Banana's, they are the force for my colon. They surround and bind everything so even Darth Vader can take a proper dump.
othotbail
Bronze Contributor

Timezone: central -5

PostAuthor: Sable the White » Sat May 31, 2008 2:31 pm

Fifty wrote:As for how that relates to this debate, a vault wipe would have little to no effect on preventing the negative favouritism I refer to above, whilst possibly undoing the favourable work some DMs have done in the past identifying good RPers.

Actually thinking on this a bit more, I realize that the good RPers would still shine through even when all are on even ground. The fact that new players and characters still rise anew is testament to this.

I think the only way to eliminate the talk of any favoritism would be to also wipe the board names and make third party chat programs bannable. While this sounds cruel, and IS unreasonable, it would really be the only what to institute a "control" measure into the "Fresh Avlis" hypothetical.

Think about it. We all know Gurky's player is awesome at RP. Knowing the login name, we automatically expect good RP and even when it is plan or everyday RP, we tend to see it in a more favorable light because the player is well known to be a master RPer. The only way to eliminate this expectation is to eliminate the association to the known player's expectations. The only real way to even the field would be to have the vault, board accounts, GS logins all wiped and elimination of 3rd party chat. Then institute generic logins. Hypothetically speaking, of course! This making sense to anyone?

I personally have fun days and dull days on Avlis. I've gone weeks without a single cookie, and have had days when I think everyone notices me at once. I take it in stride and play the game that I enjoy. Whether I get attention or not is irrelevant to the play times I have, though I have noticed it effects how much I either RP or PG, though, not on purpose.
Sable the White
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: maxinion » Sat May 31, 2008 3:00 pm

I think what you're demonstrating, Sable, is the excesses which "fairness" requires. In the name of fairness and a clean slate, everything you're saying is absolutely correct. But... I mean, read what you're saying, heh. Force everyone to make generic gamespys, prevent tells, ban IRC... you're suggesting we throw the baby out with the bath water, so to speak. I'm not trying to flame you, but just point out (as I believe spool did earlier) the inherent problem with trying to concentrate on "fairness:" you have to do ridiculously unfun things.
maxinion
Team Member; Retired with Honors

DM Avatar: Andrinor

PostAuthor: Nob » Sat May 31, 2008 3:33 pm

IN SOVIET AVLIS...

VAULT WIPES YOU!
"Andrinor grant me the patience not to kill those who screw things up through stupidity, the power to incinerate those who screw things up on purpose, and the wisdom to distinguish between one and the other." -The War Mage's Serenity Prayer
Nob
Elder DM
Elder DM

DM Avatar: Dead but still a Dreamer

PostAuthor: Pathos Street » Sat May 31, 2008 3:36 pm

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3675/the_pursuit_of_games_designing_.php

A lot of stuff relevant to Avlis. I think Avlis has struck a great balance between maintaining a world vision and being fun.

The article concludes that 5 things are necessary for game related happiness

Trust (between player and designer/system)
Agency
Acknowledgment
Importance (of player, within "social" context)
Fairness

A lot of talk in this thread about "fairness." Fairness does NOT mean equality. Fairness is equality of opportunity. Anyone has the opportunity to play every day, advance socially and mechanically, and make a name for their character in this world. However, not everyone is willing or able to seize upon the opportunities presented them, and that would not change with a vault wipe. If you are envious of another character's gear or levels, and you hold that as a barometer of your own happiness (for whatever reason), then the opportunity exists to gain those things. Characters started within the past year have advanced socially, economically, and/or mechanically far beyond characters that have been here for 3 or 4 years. That's because they spent the time and did the work needed to achieve such, and were justly rewarded for it.

About the only patently unfair thing in Avlis is that there aren't enough DM's to go around, so you have to really stand out to get consistent attention. Especially if you're in a weird time zone. And sometimes (though not always), RP and XP gain are mutually exclusive. :)

The thing to remember is, this is a game, unlike most other games. It is not competitive, but, conversely, collaborative. If the only way you can be happy is to compare yourself to others and find yourself "more advanced," then that kind of goes against the spirit of the game as designed. What you need to ask yourself is not "do have better lewt/moar XP/etc. than character x, y, and z?" but rather "have I been able to collaborate with others for our mutual enjoyment, and have I been rewarded fairly for activities I have chosen to participate in?" If you look at your experience here honestly, I highly, highly doubt that you would be able to answer no.

Vault wipe is a horrible idea, and I would not advocate it at all, for whatever reason. Simply, it would not be fun in and of itself, and would invalidate a lot of hard work that people have put into their own fun.
Pathos Street
King of Avlis Charades

Timezone: CDT (GMT -5)

PostAuthor: theP » Sat May 31, 2008 4:57 pm

Great post Pathos. You changed my mind.
And yeah, Avlis needs more DM's! (in weird TZ's)
~≈Bavou B. Faost≈~ "The Alpha Cockroach."

|COLORS|||Sza Sza Szabot Fanboi!|De eF eL Fanboi! ²

loki70 wrote:boobs are all unique.Why do you think guys want to see them all??
theP
Scholar

Location: Reflection of the looking-glass. Nowhere in Neverland.

PostAuthor: Zebranky » Sat May 31, 2008 7:09 pm

Pathos++ is about all I can say. Way to make me feel bad for bitching about inequality. ;)
Code: Select all
<Zebranky> (Also, that would piss SO many people off. ;)
<Nob> That's why it's such a great idea, Zeb.
Zebranky
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: Pekarion » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:02 pm

*bump*
Ice-T on D&D:
"Dungeons & Dragons is some of the most crazy, deep, deep, deep nerd shit ever invented. Every word you're saying is made up. Motherfuckers talk like Yoda.".
Pekarion
Sage

Timezone: GMT+1

PostAuthor: Katroine » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:38 pm

Apparently in 2008, I voted yes.
Katroine

Timezone: Mountain

PostAuthor: Pekarion » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:00 pm

*bump*

I think it's time guys.. I know you want it.

Now that everyone is rolling up alts for the lowbie weekend it's the perfect opportunity to just flush the system!

Who's with me!?! :prost: ]8)
Ice-T on D&D:
"Dungeons & Dragons is some of the most crazy, deep, deep, deep nerd shit ever invented. Every word you're saying is made up. Motherfuckers talk like Yoda.".
Pekarion
Sage

PostAuthor: Missian » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:11 pm

I would be game but for the player housing.. perhaps wipe with the option to keep two player housing due to the use of remorting..?

Just a thought }8)

:prost:
Ripple Wanno, owner of "The Shadow Harlequin": Planar traveler, Interrests Illusions, Portals,..

I - Braq Strong Smart : Bloodkin Tribe Chieftain , Mighty Blood rager, Mage of Blood magic, Axe master,..

Missian
Apprentice Scholar

Timezone: GMT +1

PostAuthor: Katroine » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:31 pm

I heart you, Pek.
Katroine

Timezone: Mountain

PostAuthor: Cameron Klym » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:55 pm

I only have one character in my vault....so yeah....do not think my vault needs wiping. Just saying.

Cameron Klym
Roleplayer of the Year 2015

Timezone: -0700 GMT

PostAuthor: tizmo » Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:15 pm

Cameron Klym wrote:I only have one character in my vault....so yeah....do not think my vault needs wiping. Just saying.

+1

tizmo
CCC
CCC

Timezone: GMT-4

PostAuthor: PlasmaJohn » Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:45 pm

Cameron Klym wrote:I only have one character in my vault....so yeah....do not think my vault needs wiping. Just saying.

:lol: Pek isn't suggesting a clean up, he's advocating the big reset *poof* Every character gone gone except maybe in legend.
Calvin: This is so cool!
Hobbes: This is so stupid.
PlasmaJohn
Team Member; Retired with Honors; Has a Tom Selleck Stache

Timezone: US/Eastern

PostAuthor: Cameron Klym » Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:47 pm

Oohhhh

Cameron Klym
Roleplayer of the Year 2015

Timezone: -0700 GMT

PostAuthor: Pekarion » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:59 pm

That being said, a "delete" button in the vault would be ah-mazing!
Ice-T on D&D:
Pekarion
Sage

PostAuthor: PlasmaJohn » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:28 pm

Pekarion wrote:That being said, a "delete" button in the vault would be ah-mazing!

:-k This may not be impossible. I'll drop a note in CCC describing a possible way to accomplish this. That said, resources to work on projects like this are very thin. Avlis can use more coders.
Calvin: This is so cool!
Hobbes: This is so stupid.
PlasmaJohn
Team Member; Retired with Honors; Has a Tom Selleck Stache

Timezone: US/Eastern

PostAuthor: Ghostie » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:53 pm

PlasmaJohn wrote:
Pekarion wrote:That being said, a "delete" button in the vault would be ah-mazing!

:-k This may not be impossible. I'll drop a note in CCC describing a possible way to accomplish this. That said, resources to work on projects like this are very thin. Avlis can use more coders.

PJ sighting!
Your password must contain at least 8 letters, a capital, a plot, a protagonist with good character development, a twist, and a happy ending.
Ghostie

PostAuthor: Pekarion » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:14 pm

*bump*
Ice-T on D&D:
Pekarion
Sage

PostAuthor: Blizzow » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:34 am

BURN IT ALL!
Blizzow
Scholar of Fools

Timezone: -8 GMT (PST)

PostAuthor: Pekarion » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:11 am

I feel it's a natural next step now that I've gotten my first level 40 character ]8)
Ice-T on D&D:
Pekarion
Sage

PostAuthor: Ambrosia » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:49 am

But I just got started!

:P
Have a*´¨)
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ * Wonderful day! *
Ambrosia
QA Resource

PostAuthor: ArtOfLight » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:54 pm

I know it's not popular but I'd actually be in favor of a vault wipe, it would put everyone back at the beginning, allow a lot of creative low-level stories to be told and the world to essentially be "rebuilt" for the next generation of characters.
------==[K-S]==------
Khazak Silvershield, Defender of Clan Silvershield
Student of Battle Tactics
Follower of Senath

"Pound away, pound away oh evil hands;
the hammer breaks, the anvil stands!"
ArtOfLight
Knight of Useless Drivel

Timezone: GMT - 5/-4

PostAuthor: surfer69 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:23 pm

I'm 101% in favor of this idea. It's the best I've heard in a long time.
"See, want, take. What else is there, right?"
surfer69
Apprentice Scholar

Timezone: EST

PreviousNext

Return to The Avlis Project: General Discussion