Underdark - (0)
Total players: 0
Gallery
  • Pure, Spiritkin
    Album name: DM Events
    Uploaded by: Ronan
    Uploaded: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:07 am

Links Menu

Stupid question (i.e., How Do I streamline server log-on)?

General discussion about Avlis

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Dungeon Masters

Stupid question (i.e., How Do I streamline server log-on)?

PostAuthor: strickp » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:29 pm

Hi peeps!

I'm hoping someone can answer a (probably) stupid question from a returning player.

Back in the day before the loss of the master server and the advent of clicking "LAN game" I had a little add-on program (for the life of me I don't recall its name, but pretty sure bigbadnaugly designed it) where - if I crashed or logged out on my own - I could rejoin the same server I was on. I just clicked the name of the server I wanted and it went.

Now I find I must remember each server's address (i.e., Ferrell is world.avlis.org:5126) and insert that into the direct connect box if I happen to cross servers during an adventure and crash on the second server I moved to.

Example (since I'm sure I'm not being entirely clear):

A few nights ago I logged into Ferrell with the (world.avlis.org:5126) address and grabbed a few things before I hurried to Zvid via the transition from Elysia and then to the Wilderness. I joined the party to take on the pirate skeletons and during the course of the event I froze up and crashed. I was in a hurry and didn't pay attention to the direct connect address thing (assuming the address had changed with my transistions) and logged in to rejoin the group -- and found myself dominated in the start tent in Ferrell! Whaa? Used to, I could just fire up NWN, click log in, and it would take me back to the server I'd most recently transitioned to.

So is there a way for the new LAN/direct connect thing to do that, or will I need to have a list of all the (world.avlis.org:????) server addresses and insert them into the direct connect line before logging in if i crash on a server I transitioned to but didn't initially join?

--

I hope this makes sense. :oops:
Player of Arania 'Raney' Moonshadow, FEATer and Bard
Acting Master, Luminous Order Of The Mind

Xzar Nefzen: I don't care, the badgers can eat me!
Arania: Okay guys, we really need to try not to leave a path of bloody destruction behind us.
strickp
Can't Unhear Things

Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Stupid question (i.e., How Do I streamline server log-on

PostAuthor: the_dragonspeaker » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:58 pm

Play asEdge Dravenmore High Paladin of the Order of Gorethar
the_dragonspeaker
Team Member; Retired with Honors

Timezone: -5

PostAuthor: burmashave » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:00 pm

We were just discussing the Avlis Side Kick program recently - I think that might be what you're referring to. Seems like a lot of people have trouble getting it to work now.

I find using the History screen the fastest and easiest way to log in:

Click "Multiplayer" (user/pass), wait for "Could not connect to Master Server...", hit "Okay," and then "Join Internet Game." You'll get "Connect Failed, try another Nick" - just cancel out of it. At that point you see the "History" tab, which shows every server you've connected to recently. Highlight the one you want and click "Connect."

There are ways to speed up this procedure if you find yourself waiting a long time for the "could not connect" replies from the (nonexistent) Master Server. I could list them but Gorgon will do such a better job of this and I don't want to deprive him of the opportunity. ;)
Last edited by burmashave on Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.”
- Homer Simpson
burmashave
Knight of Useless Drivel

Timezone: EST (GMT -5)

PostAuthor: silverfields2 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:02 pm

My solution was to follow the instructions to have shortcuts on my desktop. I don't remember where they are though and my husband helped me figure out how to do it. I'm sure Gorgon knows though.
Just hear those sleigh bells jingle-ing, ring-ting tingle-ing, too
Come on, it's lovely weather for a sleigh ride together with you
Outside the snow is falling and friends are calling "yoo hoo"
silverfields2
QA Tester
QA Tester

Timezone: GMT -5

PostAuthor: strickp » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:16 am

burmashave wrote:We were just discussing the Avlis Side Kick program recently - I think that might be what you're referring to. Seems like a lot of people have trouble getting it to work now.

It wasn't the Side Kick program, that I'm sure of. It was a little independent log-in applet that bigbadnaugly (Bell Arren in game) had designed for his own use and let me use it too. It was wonderful, but it was also designed for the game prior to losing the Master Server.

burmashave wrote:Click "Multiplayer" (user/pass), wait for "Could not connect to Master Server...", hit "Okay," and then "Join Internet Game." You'll get "Connect Failed, try another Nick" - just cancel out of it. At that point you see the "History" tab, which shows every server you've connected to recently. Highlight the one you want and click "Connect."

Now this is more like it. Thanks! It's not as fast and dirty as the old way, but it will get me in and give me peace from the panic of my old-age "oh my god i don't remember the number of the server I need!" :prost: It'll work!

Arania: Okay guys, we really need to try not to leave a path of bloody destruction behind us.
strickp
Can't Unhear Things

PostAuthor: gutemensch » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:45 am

Shortcuts on the desktop?

Open notepad and put this

nwmain.exe +connect world.avlis.org:5121

then save as into your nwn folder with the name of the server and '.bat' instead of .txt
create new shortcut on your desktop and point it at the file you created.
repeat for each server.

list of the addresses to use
http://wiki.avlis.org/Servers
Nawen Wiki | Loash Leheven Wiki | Paradise Boutique and Emporium Wiki | FRAwen Wiki

2016 winner of The Micah Ormane Prize for Narcissism
gutemensch
Minor DM
Minor DM

Timezone: -6
DM Avatar: Mishlekh

PostAuthor: Gorgon » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:58 am

There's another option you might like. NWNCX is linked under optional other files with the needed files on the wiki. Download it, and follow the instructions. Basically just dump NWNCX_Loader.exe and the .dll files* into your NWN folder (not the 2da, extraplugins and patch folders, or their contents, though they won't hurt anything if you do add the folders. Read the readme.txt if you want too know what everything does).

You don't need to use the optional patch for your nwmain.exe, just run the NWNCX_Loader.exe and it will get back your old server list/history/favorites (plus a bunch of fixes for the delays with missing Gamespy and the Master Server... and more). All the CoPaP servers are still under PW Story BTW. Remember to run it like you do for regular NWN, if you need XP-SP3 compatibility mode, or as administrator.

If you like shortcuts or batch files, they work the same way with it (and the DM Client). Just use NWNCX_Loader.exe wherever you used nwmain.exe in them.

* You can remove some of the .dll files if you want, but they won't matter. nwncx_dmtest.dll only does anything with the patched version, and uses the DM client instead of the player mode when using "Test Module" (F9) in the Toolset. nwncx_connect.dll doesn't do anything without the server also supporting it, and nwncx_tweaks.dll also only works with the patched nwmain.exe as well, plus manual editing of models and other files (I use it for faceless hoods, which are rather glitchy, but cool).
Last edited by Gorgon on Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
"God not only plays dice, he throws them in the corner where you can't see them."
-- Stephen William Hawking (b. 1942) --

Sprucing up ye olde NWN | Modifying nwn.ini and nwnplayer.ini | ~Rare Items Wanted~ | Stealth Modifiers
Gorgon
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster

Timezone: PST -8

PostAuthor: burmashave » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:10 am

You lost me at "follow the instructions." :P
“To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.”
- Homer Simpson
burmashave
Knight of Useless Drivel

Timezone: EST (GMT -5)

PostAuthor: Gorgon » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:18 am

If you can extract/install ASK, you can extract these and click one file. :P

*edits* I bolded all the hard instructions in my last post. 90% of it was what you don't need to worry about or do/use, which I guess made it look complicated. My bad. :oops:
"God not only plays dice, he throws them in the corner where you can't see them."

Sprucing up ye olde NWN | Modifying nwn.ini and nwnplayer.ini | ~Rare Items Wanted~ | Stealth Modifiers
Gorgon
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster

PostAuthor: gutemensch » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:30 am

forgot to add if you want to bypass the master server wait time but don't want the hassle of editing your host file to blacklist the address

notepad

%WINDIR%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
IF %ERRORLEVEL% NEQ 0 ECHO ^0.0.0.0 nwmaster.bioware.com>>%WINDIR%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

save as whatever.cmd

then go to where you save it and run as admin
Nawen Wiki | Loash Leheven Wiki | Paradise Boutique and Emporium Wiki | FRAwen Wiki

2016 winner of The Micah Ormane Prize for Narcissism
gutemensch
Minor DM
Minor DM

Timezone: -6
DM Avatar: Mishlekh

PostAuthor: Gorgon » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:37 am

gutemensch wrote:%WINDIR%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
IF %ERRORLEVEL% NEQ 0 ECHO ^0.0.0.0 nwmaster.bioware.com>>%WINDIR%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

Don't forget peerchat.gamespy.com as well, Re: this.
NWNCX fixes all the waits without editing anything btw.

Gorgon
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster

PostAuthor: strickp » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:25 pm

Ahhh.......ok, NWNCX will be what I try. Thanks, Gorgon!

I already went into my nwn.ini and switched around some things (can't remember off the top of my head now, the instructions for what I did are at home) to stop the master server wait time and movies. Little did I know that using NWNCX would fix all those and more.

Thanks for all the help and tips, peeps. :cooler:

strickp
Can't Unhear Things

Return to The Avlis Project: General Discussion