Total players: 1
Gallery

Links Menu

How To Check For Corrupt Avlis Files Without Re-Downloading

General discussion about Avlis

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Dungeon Masters

How To Check For Corrupt Avlis Files Without Re-Downloading

PostAuthor: Gorgon » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:05 am

*Disclaimer* I am not a team member, and this is not something done by them (though I did redo all the tileset haks, so I know a few things about the subject). Also, this information is current to the last edited time of this post. If any files used by Avlis are updated after that date, then this post will also need to be updated by myself (or someone who can edit it, or a new one added by someone else below it).

So why would you need to check for corrupt Avlis files? If people have problems with crashing while playing here, there are a few things suggested for what to check or do. First is usually to turn down your game settings for graphic stuff (especially disabling shiny water), and to make sure your video drivers are updated. If you overclock stuff or use custom overrides, don't. After that, the next best guess for the cause is a corrupt file in one of your haks (or your install of NWN itself). Until now, the only suggested fix for that was to re-download the haks, and if that still didn't fix it, to reinstall the game.

This won't help if it gets to the point of reinstalling NWN, but I always hated telling folks to grab all the haks again. Usually it is caused by one tiny glitch in a hak file, and can be caused at any point starting with a download error, to corruption extracting the files, or a physical disc error on your end (the wiki link below has lots of info on all of that), and it sucks having to download everything again. You don't have to.

Checking the integrity of files is not a new thing, but we've never used it before with haks. Mainly because if we included checksum files with the haks, it would confuse the hell out of many players, and they would wonder where to put them. Below is a .sfv (Simple File Verification) file for all of the CoPaP and Avlis files players are required to download to play here, with the CRC-32 checksums to compare, and some simple instructions to check them if you think you have a problem (Windows only, though it should be similar on a Mac if the app supports multiple entry .sfv files. Linux users will have to decide the best way on their own).

I'll start with the checking stuff first, then some (hopefully) easy instructions with visual aids after, and a wiki link on how it works at the end.

The following link is for the .sfv file with all the CRC-32 checksums for every hak we use, the tlk, and the compressed container files you download them in, that are available from the needed files page of the Avlis Wiki (not including the ext# haks - since they are empty): Avlis_Needed_Files_Checksums.sfv

This link is a more readable text version of the same file, that you can save and use to copy the numbers from if you don't have a text editor that supports Unix end of line format (If it is one long line of text): Avlis_Needed_Files_Checksums.txt

I also converted that text file to html, since text files aren't very good reading online: Avlis_Needed_Files_Checksums.html

The CRCs are for the files originally hosted on Javaforge, that are now hosted on the Neverwinter Vault - The World of Avlis page (the individual ones listed here on the Needed Files page of the Avlis wiki), not the mirror sites or torrents. Hopefully those should also match (I haven't tested them), but the Avlis server uses the Neverwinter Vault ones. If they don't match, they aren't proper mirrors, and you should use the Neverwinter Vault ones.

*Update* All of the files linked at the Avlis page on the new Neverwinter Vault have been tested and match, including the avlis_allinone.rar combined download (Feb 24th, 2016). It is a proper mirror for when Javaforge shuts down at the end of March 2016, or if it is too slow for you.

If you don't know how to check CRCs, or how to use a .sfv file, then read on. There are literally hundreds of programs (if not more) to do checksum comparisons (see below if you really want to read wiki stuff about that), but I'm only going to suggest a few easy ones. For Windows (any version you can play NWN on? - *Verified all the way to Win 10 Creator on my own machines*), HashCheck is very simple. Download, install, and then copy the .sfv file above to your hak directory. Double click it and it should check all your Avlis haks (and look for the tlk and zip/rar files they came in, so ignore the missing yellow stuff... unless you are checking that instead). If you copy/move the .sfv to your tlk folder, you can check the tlk the same way, and the same goes for all the original compressed files if you have them in a folder with it. If a hak shows up red, then it isn't what the Avlis server is using, and you should grab a new one from the Neverwinter Vault. Simple as that.
*Note* Remember that if you have edited stuff in a hak (like the appearance.2da edits for dynamic race stuff in the copap2da.hak that were posted on the forum long ago) it will fail, so up to you what to do after that.

Visual aids FTW!
(Sorry for the lack of fluff in my old Windows XP GUI. I like simple)

1) After installing HashCheck, I download the "Avlis_Needed_Files_Checksums.sfv" to my \NeverwinterNights\NWN\hak directory, and then double-click it. I have many other haks there, but it only checks the ones that matter, and skips the .rar/.zip and .tlk files because they aren't in there (says they are unreadable). All hak files are green, so I'm using the same files the Avlis server does.

2) Same a above, but one of my haks isn't the same, so it shows as red. The same will happen if even the tiniest difference is found in any file, so you'll know if you have a hak problem when crashing. Also, you'll know if you don't, and shouldn't waste time downloading them again.

3-4) Next I move the .sfv to my tlk folder and run it again to check that, and then check the original compressed files I downloaded in their folder with the same .sfv file (if you need to know where they got corrupted).

and

*Update* For Mac, I previously suggested "HashTab", but it now costs a bit to buy it for Mac use ($1.99 from the Mac App Store?). Another alternative may be checkSum+, which is freeware and can handle checking all files at the same time, similar to HashCheck above. Instructions are on the linked page. I don't use a Mac, so someone else will have to confirm if this works as well as it appears to, or suggest another option.

Linux users will have to find an sfv/crc checking program they like on their own. Several are listed in the wiki stuff below, and you can google a bunch more. Feel free to add better suggestions here, since I'd like to add this as a wiki page link from the needed files stuff eventually (you can do that as well if you want).

Simple File Verification on Wikipedia with links to many (older?) programs, and more info on CRC stuff than you'll ever need: Wikipedia.org: Simple file verification

*Edit to fix Dropbox public folder link changes*
Last edited by Gorgon on Sat May 06, 2017 7:25 am, edited 5 times in total.
"God not only plays dice, he throws them in the corner where you can't see them."
-- Stephen William Hawking (b. 1942) --

Sprucing up ye olde NWN | Modifying nwn.ini and nwnplayer.ini | ~Rare Items Wanted~ | Stealth Modifiers
Gorgon
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster

Timezone: PDT -7

Re: How To Check For Corrupt Avlis Files Without Re-Downloading

PostAuthor: Plethora » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:30 am

is Olafs birthday.. pay tribute!!!
Well, i've heard about the fella you've been dancing with, all over the neighborhood..
...why didn't you ask me baby? Or didn't you think I could..
Plethora
Head DM
Head DM

Timezone: +11 (DST)
DM Avatar: Verossa

Re: How To Check For Corrupt Avlis Files Without Re-Downloading

PostAuthor: Gorgon » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:52 am

Lol. Random, but done! :prost:
"God not only plays dice, he throws them in the corner where you can't see them."

Sprucing up ye olde NWN | Modifying nwn.ini and nwnplayer.ini | ~Rare Items Wanted~ | Stealth Modifiers
Gorgon
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster

Re: How To Check For Corrupt Avlis Files Without Re-Download

PostAuthor: Gorgon » Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:53 pm

The top post has been updated to fix a few links, and to mention that all of the files linked at the Avlis page on the new Neverwinter Vault have been tested and match as of this post date. It is a proper mirror in case the Javaforge one is down or too slow for you.

Also, I've suggested another alternative to "HashTab" for Mac users, since it now costs money. checkSum+ is freeware and says it can handle checking all files at the same time, similar to HashCheck for Windows. Instructions are on the linked page. I don't use a Mac, so someone else will have to confirm if this works as well as it appears to, or suggest another option. Also, I have no idea if HashCheck works on Windows 10, so you may have to find another alternative there too.

*Edit* The .sfv, .txt and .html files for Avlis_Needed_Files_Checksums in the top post have also been updated to include the checkSum+ info for Mac users in the comments.

Gorgon
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster

PostAuthor: Gorgon » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:18 pm

Another update to mention that the haks and tlk inside the avlis_allinone.rar combined download on the Avlis page on the new Neverwinter Vault have also been tested, and they are a proper match for the haks/tlk the servers use. This is an easier option that grabbing the haks and tlk individually.

It is a proper mirror for when Javaforge shuts down at the end of March 2016.

Gorgon
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster

PostAuthor: Seka » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:22 pm

Gorgon wrote:Another update to mention that the haks and tlk inside the avlis_allinone.rar combined download on the Avlis page on the new Neverwinter Vault have also been tested, and they are a proper match for the haks/tlk the servers use. This is an easier option that grabbing the haks and tlk individually.

Is the avlis_allinone.rar version not listed anywhere on our own wiki page? I couldn't find it, and didn't even know we had one. That's a much more convenient option for new players. The links to individual haks are more useful for those times when a single hak is being updated, but that hasn't happened since '09, from the looks of it.

Also, re: the extension haksets that we link to on the wiki - the one on Javaforge contains avlis_ext_[1..4].hak, while the one hosted by tairisnadur.com contains avlis_ext_[1..9].hak. What are the other five? I'm not even sure what these extension haks do, and it's not clear from our own wiki.
Seka
CCC
CCC

Timezone: EDT (GMT -4)

PostAuthor: Gorgon » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:09 pm

I think Sarmanos did most (if not all) of the work on our vault page, which is fantastic, and the all-in-one is unique to that site. It is an excellent idea, since our previous installers and what not were hard to maintain, and one download is very straight forward. Call this my backwards way of bumping its existence. :P

I'm making my own archive copies of all the files I can find on Javaforge for when it goes down (redundancy is good), but the vault page should do just fine if another alternative isn't set up for hosting them.

The ext haks are just placeholders (empty except for a text file... that says they are meant to be empty). Basically they allow the staff to add stuff to the server copies of them that players don't need to download (2das, scripts, and other information files). They originally made 9, but at this time only the first 4 are used in the server modules, so that is probably why he didn't add the rest. If Avlis ever starts using more, that might need to be corrected, but it has been that way for a very long time.

Gorgon
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster

PostAuthor: Gorgon » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:28 pm

Since you mentioned it, the wiki will need to have all the links updated to whatever we use as our primary site when Javaforge goes away. I'm guessing that it will be the vault page, but the team may have something else in mind.

Until then, if you want to add a link to the wiki for that all-in-one download, go for it (or I can in a few hours when I get home). 1 download for new players rather than all the individual ones (before the extras) is a great idea.

Gorgon
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster

PostAuthor: Seka » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:33 pm

Gorgon wrote:Until then, if you want to add a link to the wiki for that all-in-one download, go for it (or I can in a few hours when I get home). 1 download for new players rather than all the individual ones (before the extras) is a great idea.

Done. Simplified and color-coded the page so it doesn't look so overwhelming and new players can quickly get what they need. Moved contents to a float-right div because otherwise it occupies way too much vertical space, pushing critical content down.

http://wiki.avlis.org/Needed_files
Seka
CCC
CCC

Timezone: EDT (GMT -4)

PostAuthor: Gorgon » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:31 am

I changed the url to be a direct file link, since the other crap was for the hit counter and site tracking (and check for ftp conversion). The direct link is much faster for me, but that might just be my connection too.

I should have checked before suggesting this, but I was worried direct linking wasn't allowed. Nothing in the terms or guidelines says it isn't, and this topic suggests ways of doing it, so we should be good. If they have any issues, obviously we'll change it. If anyone else sees something saying as much, do mention it (I went through the forum and didn't find anything else). If we end up using them for everything, it might be an idea to ask about that first.

Heh, I guess we should have made a new topic for this with how derailed it got. Gotta love how that happens. :P

Gorgon
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster

PostAuthor: Gorgon » Sat May 06, 2017 7:31 am

Mini-bump to mention the HashCheck tool for Windows I recommended is still quite happy with Win 10 Creator, even in its half-assed working state at this time (MS knows what beta and alpha testing is, right?).

Checksum stuff is pretty basic, so it just works.

Gorgon
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster

Return to The Avlis Project: General Discussion