Links Menu

Art of the Week II - Possibly Not Safe For Work

General discussion about Avlis

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Dungeon Masters

Art of the Week II - Possibly Not Safe For Work

PostAuthor: TwiBel » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:19 pm

This week's topic is:

Dinner With The Enemy

Prompt runs till Sunday August 8th. Have fun!
Last edited by TwiBel on Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:05 pm, edited 13 times in total.
ni dieu, ni maître.
TwiBel
Prince of Bloated Discourse

Re: Art of the Week II - Possibly Not Safe For Work

PostAuthor: TwiBel » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:20 pm

Art of the Week II

How it works:

Once a week (Sunday), the next person on the list will post an art prompt, and everyone who wants to will post their related drawings/paintings/photo manipulations/collage/needlepoint in the thread for us to praise and enjoy. I'll keep a copy of the current prompt on the first page of the thread. Every who participates will be added to the list, and those who participate often will be moved up it faster.

Rules:

1. Not everybody's Rembrandt, but we're all here to have a good time. No hassling anybody about their drawing skill.

2. Everybody's prompt turn is theirs to spend as they like. More general prompts where people can draw whomever they like tend to work better, but if they want to ask for nothing but smutty pictures of the farmer at elf gate, they get to. Don't hassle them about that either.

Requests:

1. While Google-fu is an art all its own, please do not just post found images (Alterations are fine). The point here is to make something new and something Avlis. Obviously, I can't enforce this, but I think I speak for us all when I say I'd rather see imperfect art that's your own than a professional work that's someone else's.

2. Not everyone is reading this in the privacy of their own homes. The thread is marked not safe for work, but if you're posting something that might raise eyebrows in an office, please consider putting it up as a link rather than an image, just for courtesy.
Last edited by TwiBel on Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ni dieu, ni maître.
TwiBel

PostAuthor: TwiBel » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:21 pm

Current queue:

Ladyawesome
Ronan
S?retur
Dirigible
Silverfields
Hamlet
Twibel
Zombie
Zonr_0
Katroine

Previous Prompts:

Avlis vs. The Real World
What does X DM look like in your head?
Your Favorite character, doing what makes them your favorite
Minions!
Mage-vlis
Undead
Dragons
Avlis Dancing
Young Characters
Tools of the Trade
Disappoiting Loot
Villains and Monsters
Heroes
Your Favorite Noun
Alternative Avlis
Dinner with the Enemy

Art of the Week I prompts and queue

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=106503#p1089743
Last edited by TwiBel on Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:55 pm, edited 23 times in total.
ni dieu, ni maître.
TwiBel

PostAuthor: TwiBel » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:28 pm

Art of the Week II PAQ (Potentially Askable Questions)

1. Can I get on the list without participating?

No.

2. I can't draw.

That's fine. Some of the best arts the old thread got weren't well drawn, but they were hilarious. One of my personal favorites was just blackness, eyes, and speech bubbles. There have been some absolutely fantastic photo manipulations. Just have fun and don't worry. Nobody's assigning grades

3. How do I post my prompt?

If you know you're next, just post it Sunday in the thread (or early, if you know you won't be able to Sunday, or PM me). I'll try to keep in touch to make sure people know). I'll also keep the current topic posted in the first post on the thread, so that people don't have to scroll through to find it.

4. I was in the queue for Art of the Week I, can you put me in the queue for this one?

Sure, just PM me and I'll add you

5. Crap, I missed my turn to put up a prompt!

It's cool. I'll keep a list of people who should have had a turn already but didn't. PM me and you'll get the next one.

6. I want to do a prompt that's already been done.

That's fine. It's been years since the last Art of the Week, and some of those prompts would be great with new characters that have come up since.

7. No one drew for my prompt! I didn't get what I wanted!

People get busy sometimes. Also, very narrow prompts don't tend to do as well because people might not be familiar with the subject, or might not be able to think of a good idea. If you want something very specific, the best way to get it is to do it for yourself. If you want a lot of art with a wide range, leave people room to be creative. The more freedom you give people, the more they will surprise you.

8. Hey, I moved up or down in the queue! What gives?

To reward frequent participation, every three weeks someone enters an art, they move up one in the queue. No one is ever bumped for non-participation, but the more you play, the faster your prompt comes up.

9. I don't have a scanner.

Most libraries and copy shops do. Additionally, smart phones do a pretty good job from the right angle. You could also draw straight onto the computer.

10. With what programs?

Paint on your computer
Inkscape https://inkscape.org/en/
Gimp http://www.gimp.org/
Hero Machine http://www.heromachine.com/
Make Human http://www.makehuman.org/
(Send me more if you've got them)

11. I don't have one of your fancy photobucket image hosting accounts.

They're free, but you can also upload stuff directly onto the site now, which will help with the dead links issue.

Try it here: gallery/album.php?album_id=2

12. Someone posted a picture of my character that makes me really uncomfortable. Can you take it down?

I don't have that power, but the person who posted it does. Please consider PMing them and letting them know. I've drawn something before that I thought someone would think was funny, only to find out they really didn't. I apologized and took it down immediately. Communication can often clear things right up. Additionally, if you're not sure how someone might take a joke picture you've drawn, consider running it by them before posting it publicly. Let's keep this fun for everybody.
Last edited by TwiBel on Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ni dieu, ni maître.
TwiBel

PostAuthor: TwiBel » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:29 pm

Aaaaaand I think that's all the administrative business. Go forth and create.
ni dieu, ni maître.
TwiBel

PostAuthor: silverfields2 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:51 am

Tweaks the meaning of the word 'art'.....

Avlis Meets Real World

A rip and a tear - the vortex flashes,
Smashes, and crashes into space ship Earth.

Central Park bursts into flames and yellow
Taxies pile up on the Expressway.

Over Tokyo, real dragons twine through
The atmosphere belching acid; melting
Skyscrapers; roaring at the scream of jets.

Police lines scatter from mages flinging
Lighting from fingertips - unused to magic.

Behind the chaos comes the real healers -
Not standing and shouting at church pulpits -
Quietly invoking divine powers.

The rest of the mess left to the druids.
Comrades Fill No Glass For Me - Stephen Foster
Oh! comrades, fill no glass for me
To drown my soul in liquid flame
For if I drank, the toast should be
To blighted fortune health and fame.
silverfields2
QA Tester
QA Tester

Timezone: GMT -5

PostAuthor: Katroine » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:24 pm

tindertwiggy wrote:
Katroine wrote:*hellballs*
*becomes the ruler of all*

This is Channel 6 News with *DUN DUN DUN* Breaking News: We are receiving reports of an explosion in Times Square, it has not been confirmed if this a terrorist act, some have suggested a gas explosion. *holds finger over earpiece* What's that? *a brief pause* Ladies and gentlemen we have the helicopter feed in... yes going to helicopter footage now where you can see... oh my god. What we are seeing now is a scene of utter devastation. Viewers are advised to *pause* It looks like there is one survivor, there walking, a woman with red hair..."

(she only did it because Turais got kicked out of a cat cafe)
"However friendly they may seem, they must be corrupt to the core, and I must never forget that."
Katroine
Team Member; Retired with Honors

Timezone: Mountain

PostAuthor: Ghostie » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:15 pm

So it looks like I initially misread the prompt with real world stuff vs Avlis.

Which resulted in modern communication vs. Kassha's way of communicating (I hope you don't mind, rk!):

So instead this is my submission:

In 2021, when an unexplained phenomenon resulted in several strange hyenoid creatures appear in the middle of London, the nation’s security forces went on full alert. The capital city saw the Royal Air Force and British Army mobilized. Curfews were put in place whilst the creatures were hunted down and slaughtered.

These aggressive "Gnolls" - as they referred to themselves - attacked and killed many civilians during this time, attempting to enslave children to further their own interests. It was only when the last few stragglers were surrounded and outgunned, that the leader of their pack surrendered.

Rumours persist that the remaining creatures are still alive, locked away in a highly secured area, subjects of research and of more nefarious activities...
Your password must contain at least 8 letters, a capital, a plot, a protagonist with good character development, a twist, and a happy ending.
Ghostie

PostAuthor: TwiBel » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:06 am

I fucking love these so far, by the way.

Last edited by TwiBel on Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ni dieu, ni maître.
TwiBel

PostAuthor: SaraEF » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:58 am

SaraEF
RPotY 2014

PostAuthor: Tarken » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:20 pm

Thaylis gets a new weapon to use for the Hunt.

Thaylis Beign
Blade of Pelar
Brigadier - Blackhawk Brigade - M'Chekian Army - Resigned
Dragonrider of the Elysian Dragon Wing
Knight of Drakehall
Knight Companion of the Chivalric Order of Balance
Hero of the M'Chekian Union
Tarken
Scholar

Timezone: Eastern

PostAuthor: S?retur » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:33 pm

Narwë meeting a Star Wars fanboy. 8-)
Edit: Right click and open in a new window for larger picture...
Last edited by S?retur on Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sweet and tart, Narwë is the proverbial Granny Smith of the role-play universe. [Anonymous]
S?retur
Apprentice Scholar

Timezone: GMT +1

PostAuthor: Dirigible » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:40 pm

Avlis Vs. REAL WORLD Library.
Sing for your supper.

Characters:Gann Eider, Skrike Lastbreath & Rakuug Yug'loz

Dirigible
Scholar of Fools

Timezone: GMT

PostAuthor: Katroine » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:40 pm

Life in the real world would be rough for an 18 inch tall, overly trusting brownie.

Pay a dollar to talk to the brownie then back in the box she goes for the next town.
Katroine

Timezone: Mountain

PostAuthor: Brayon » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:53 pm

Inspired by one of several PnP sessions that AJ was in the Star Wars Galaxy.

AJ's trip to Coruscant.

AJ sits outside the Leaping Stag, as his friends gather around him. Ariana, Sapphire, Arcadia, Dav, Tor, and others all sit having drinks that Speaker Finn brought. As the night progresses, AJ speaks up about a time he had in another place, and time far from the world of Avlis, in a Galaxy Far, Far Away.

“It was different, very different. I can tell you what I saw, and will name it as best as I can, but some of the concepts you had to be there to see. It started off as a normal day. I was in Kuras, visiting my Human Family. Even though we are a strange family group, and I was adopted by them, I still visit from time to time. After having a talk with my Brother Marcus, I stepped outside and waved to them. Dad asked how I was getting home, seeing as I had missed the boat headed to Mikona. I replied that I would either pray and utter a Word of Recall spell, or use the portal the Trust Mages have in the Market. I opted to Word of Recall my way home.

“It seems that was what caused this. Forian, in his wisdom, decided I needed to see a place beyond what Avlis is, and I tell you the Truth, it was fantastic. Any of us here have been Plane Hopping before. I’ve been to Tairis, Yssgard, Arkaz, and the Multiverse central city of Sigil with many of you. Had good times. But this was defiantly different. I prayed, and the spell took effect, but it felt different, more empowered. I blacked out a bit from it, as I was flung across the cosmos, to a completely alien world. One that did not have gods that were active in someone’s life, like they are here. People still worshipped gods, but not in the same manner as we do.

“I was in a city. But it was not like Mikona, Elysia, or Even Kuras. This city was huge, and defied the mind. Buildings as tall as Mt. Smokes, were the Smallest around me, and some reached higher than the clouds themselves. Airships, moving with gnomish engines of light, flown past me, is all sorts of shapes and sizes. Almost all were enclosed. All were made of Metal, and Glass. Living constructs, they natives called Droids, moved about. Some, spoke in a weird language of beeps and chirps. Some spoke Common, others languages I’ve never heard on any world, that I had been too prior.

“I saw people of all manner, and even the Humans were different in some places. With unusal skin colorings, like Pink, Blue, and Purple. A person that helped me was called a Mira-Luka, they are born with no eyes, but have a Psionic like ability to see, and read written text. Their clothes were a lot like what you find here, and some even wore armor. But not like what most of us do. It was like being in a place devoted to Forian, with the Chaos of it all, but there was order as well. The Ships flew in single file, there was no sword fights in front of me, and the shops took currency, for goods and services,” AJ starts as he takes a long drink.

He goes on to tell of the items he encountered, a Computer, a Video System, and some of the people he met. One named Bruce, Kynn, and Sarah. Some others named, Russell, Dorsal, Cade, and a Droid named Cowboy. He tells them about the music, being played out of a Music Box called a stereo surround sound system. And a communication device, able to communicate with millions of people at the click of a button.

As he talks, his friends look dubious, as he describes what life was like on this world called Coruscant. Night comes, and people start to get sleepy. AJ bids them all a farewell, as he stands to head north to his house. He slips his hand into his pocket, and pulls out a vibrating Com-phone. “Hello? Merry Met Sarah… What are you doing? Oh, you’re here on Avlis? Where at? Ah… yes, that would be Elysia. 200 miles due east is a town called Zvidureth, that is where I’m at. Come get me!”

As the others watch, AJ flips the music feed on the Com to on, as “Carry on My Wayward Son,” by Kansas starts bellowing out from it. He smiles to the others, as rumbling is heard in the distance, as a Corellian Corvette, Blockade Runner class comes to a hover stop above the town. Le’Nofaythen Troops scramble from the base, as the mages jump to their feet. AJ laughs, and tells them, not to worry, as it’s his friends from the other world. A speeder leaves the hanger, and comes down, with a red hair lady driving it. Floating on the road, on its repulser lifts, Sarah pulls up next to AJ, as he waves to the others. Hops in, as if it’s no issue for him. They speed off, headed back to the ship hovering above Zvidureth, and go inside the hanger.

Shortly after the ship, with the name “The Bucket,” painted on its side, and a Pirate Flag painted on the Upper Gun Turret, takes off with the Confounder, leaving his friends stunned at the sight.

((http://youtu.be/2X_2IdybTV0 - Link to song. :) ))

Pleth is the Best!
AJ is Arcadia's Brother

Dear whoever is reading this.
You're beautiful, and someone out there is crazy about you.
So smile.
Life is too short to be unhappy.
Brayon

PostAuthor: TwiBel » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:13 am

Tarken wrote:Image

:D

These are fantastic pictures, guys, keep it up :D
ni dieu, ni maître.
TwiBel

PostAuthor: Elradra » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:24 am

Thank you for the GIMP link! I'll have a ton of fun messing with my huge collection of desktop backgrounds instead of being productive now.

Now with 40+ alts to meet!
Elradra

Timezone: Central US

PostAuthor: silverfields2 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:13 pm

What does {insert a DM"s name here} look like in your head?

--- TwiBel you have to update the top post. :D
silverfields2
QA Tester
QA Tester

PostAuthor: S?retur » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:16 pm

silverfields2 wrote:--- TwiBel you have to update the top post. :D
Or bottom post. Better not to lose the history of subjects!
Sweet and tart, Narwë is the proverbial Granny Smith of the role-play universe. [Anonymous]
S?retur
Apprentice Scholar

PostAuthor: Plethora » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:21 am

silverfields2 wrote:What does {insert a DM"s name here} look like in your head?

--- TwiBel you have to update the top post. :D

Your evil :P
Well, i've heard about the fella you've been dancing with, all over the neighborhood..
...why didn't you ask me baby? Or didn't you think I could..
Plethora
Head DM
Head DM

Timezone: +11 (DST)
DM Avatar: Verossa

PostAuthor: rk57957 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:15 pm

My wife drew kassha making use of modern conveniences, like mayonnaise jars.
rk57957
Scholar

Timezone: CST

PostAuthor: Tarken » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:49 pm

I couldn't pick a DM to draw, so I went the easy route... I present to you the one tool every DM has behind their screen... The Spinner!

Disclaimer:

The author of this artwork makes no claims to the accuracy of what is depicted. Furthermore, said document was produced during the wee-hours of the morning, where sleep and caffeine deprivation severely limited his judgment and common sense.
Thaylis Beign
Blade of Pelar
Brigadier - Blackhawk Brigade - M'Chekian Army - Resigned
Dragonrider of the Elysian Dragon Wing
Knight of Drakehall
Knight Companion of the Chivalric Order of Balance
Hero of the M'Chekian Union
Tarken
Scholar

Timezone: Eastern

PostAuthor: Cerridwyn » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:06 pm

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!
Cerridwyn
Gold Contributor

Timezone: GMT-5

PostAuthor: S?retur » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:32 pm

Applies to more than one :wink:
S?retur
Apprentice Scholar

PostAuthor: silverfields2 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:40 am

Ode to Avlisian Dungeon Masters I know **

Plethora holds forth her court;
Nighthawk4 holds forth his tea;
Sunscream and Nob are plotting war, both on land and sea.
Stormhammer judiciously wields his mighty pen;
While Micah, the pack pig, runs in and out again.

**Only wrote this with great love and fondness despite the opinion of SOME person who may remain unmentioned. My apologies if you wanted in my poem and didn’t fit. I’ll try to do better next time. Your humble player, SF2
silverfields2
QA Tester
QA Tester

Next

Return to The Avlis Project: General Discussion