Total players: 6
Gallery

Links Menu

#Avlis mIRC!

General discussion about Avlis

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Dungeon Masters

Re: #Avlis mIRC!

PostAuthor: Grunt » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:50 pm

Beary666 wrote:Wow, I used to chat more in #avlis than Grunt back in the day!

Add in grunt_work too...

also I took a load of time off from IRC for a while there. :P

IRC is fun. Just don't take it serious.
FletcherWiki

*Stepping out of a portal*
Nawen Amakiir: there he is.. *smirks* someone had to make an entrance
Fletcher Millstone: MILLSTONE! *arms held high*
Lilliana Be'letane: You're the worst, Fletcher.
Grunt
CCC
CCC

Timezone: I AM A TIME LORD

PostAuthor: PsiOmega » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:54 pm

Sounds like most of the Internet then :P
PsiOmega
CCC
CCC

Timezone: GMT+1/+2 (DST)

PostAuthor: Lycanthropy » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:03 pm

I just got a very weird and unpleasant flood of spam in #avlis. Some sort of advertising thing, I think. Was this just on my end? I'm using Trillian, which I've suspected of being a piece of shit for a while.

Lycanthropy
Team Member; Retired with Honors

Timezone: GMT-6
DM Avatar: Senath

PostAuthor: Grunt » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:08 pm

Lycanthropy wrote:I just got a very weird and unpleasant flood of spam in #avlis. Some sort of advertising thing, I think. Was this just on my end? I'm using Trillian, which I've suspected of being a piece of shit for a while.

It was probably spool32, feel free to ignore him. We all do :P
FletcherWiki

*Stepping out of a portal*
Nawen Amakiir: there he is.. *smirks* someone had to make an entrance
Fletcher Millstone: MILLSTONE! *arms held high*
Lilliana Be'letane: You're the worst, Fletcher.
Grunt
CCC
CCC

Timezone: I AM A TIME LORD

PostAuthor: PsiOmega » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:09 pm

Yes, Stratics was just hit by a major bot/Spam attack. I manually and automatically (through scripting) banned users though there may have been innocent victims.
If anyone was accidentally banned just PM me the IRC names you use in #Avlis and I'll try to sort it.
PsiOmega
CCC
CCC

Timezone: GMT+1/+2 (DST)

PostAuthor: Lycanthropy » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:13 pm

Thanks PODster.

Lycanthropy
Team Member; Retired with Honors

Timezone: GMT-6
DM Avatar: Senath

PostAuthor: amusedapathy » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:46 pm

Just a random bump on this topic.........

PC+1
amusedapathy
Sage

Timezone: GMT -8

PostAuthor: Angel of Death » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:15 pm

Should have bumped it yesterday when i was looking for this info! :roll:
Duhmash - Head Priest of the Bloodkin Tribe.
Raar - Big bad ogre
Fitz - Red Order Magus
Angel of Death
Minor DM
Minor DM

Timezone: +1 GMT
DM Avatar: Maleki

PostAuthor: amusedapathy » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:14 pm

I saw that you had problems finding it, and sorry! Better late than never, right?

Hey Admins.... maybe sticky this one please??

Thanks!
AA
amusedapathy
Sage

PostAuthor: Gorgon » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:27 pm

amusedapathy wrote:you can download a number of IRC clients... the most popular are mIRC, xChat, and IceChat, though the Trillian IM program will also let you connect to IRC servers.

When you get the IRC software, connect to:
stratics.frws.com
or
irc.glowfish.de
on port 6667

after you connect, type /j #avlis in the chatbar and you'll be in the main Avlis IRC room. In there you can ask around for a DM. :)

((Shameless PC+))

More bumpage because the room is quiet with only 30 or so in it now, plus the AvlisAlpha bot giving player stats direct from the beast by request with a simple laugh (err, type !haa and get it. Stands for hawt ablus action!, or something like that). It really is a good place to hook up with folks if you are new, or even shuffling around with a +5 cane. :sauf:

*I'd recommend port 6668 for irc.glowfish.de and 7000 for stratics.frws.com, since port 6667 can conflict with the nwn login screen chat thing, and cause the odd random disconnection once in a while.
"God not only plays dice, he throws them in the corner where you can't see them."
-- Stephen William Hawking (b. 1942) --

Sprucing up ye olde NWN | Modifying nwn.ini and nwnplayer.ini | ~Rare Items Wanted~ | Stealth Modifiers
Gorgon
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster

Timezone: PDT -7

PostAuthor: amusedapathy » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:30 am

*walks by whistling quietly*

((Just a random because it's been a while bump))
amusedapathy
Sage

PostAuthor: Orleron » Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:23 am

Hey folks.... maybe an alternative to IRC?

Instead of being in that IRC room, one possibility is to log onto AvlisMUD and sit in the Bleeding Hearth Tavern instead!

You can do it ICly. Just download a telnet client from here and telnet to mud.worldofavlis.com port 4000.

Give it a try?

Some basic commands:

to look around: type "look" without the quotes... or just a letter "l"

to say something: type a single quote and a space and then whatever you want to say, example: ' hello world

to smile: type "smile"
Last edited by Orleron on Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Truth has no form."
--Idries Shah

World of Avlis Page

Avlis Project FAQ
Orleron
World Advisor, Co-founder

Timezone: GMT-5

PostAuthor: Plethora » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:34 am

Orleron wrote:Hey folks.... maybe an alternative to IRC?

Instead of being in that IRC room, one possibility is to log onto AvlisMUD and sit in the Bleeding Hearth Tavern instead!

You can do it ICly. Just download a telnet client from here and telnet to 98.114.66.187 port 4000.

Give it a try?

Some basic commands:

to look around: type "look" without the quotes... or just a letter "l"

to say something: type a single quote and a space and then whatever you want to say, example: ' hello world

to smile: type "smile"

if not an alternative, but maybe as as well as!?

Good work in setting this up Orl! xxx
Well, i've heard about the fella you've been dancing with, all over the neighborhood..
...why didn't you ask me baby? Or didn't you think I could..
Plethora
Head DM
Head DM

Timezone: +11 (DST)
DM Avatar: Verossa

PostAuthor: Orleron » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:36 pm

Note the address is now:

mud.worldofavlis.com 4000
"Truth has no form."
--Idries Shah

World of Avlis Page

Avlis Project FAQ
Orleron

PostAuthor: Orleron » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:14 am

You should try a MUD then.... very entertaining and addictive, and can be done in concert with IRC.... it's just another text window you have open. :)
"Truth has no form."
--Idries Shah

World of Avlis Page

Avlis Project FAQ
Orleron

PostAuthor: Gorgon » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:54 am

Been der, dun dat. :pal:

I have enough trouble in my (almost) old age trying to keep track of different IRC windows, let alone those new fangled facebook and other social things at the same time (and I lied. I still play Avlis all the time too :mrgreen: ). Sounds like fun though.
"God not only plays dice, he throws them in the corner where you can't see them."

Sprucing up ye olde NWN | Modifying nwn.ini and nwnplayer.ini | ~Rare Items Wanted~ | Stealth Modifiers
Gorgon
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster

PostAuthor: Snarestep » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:20 pm

Somehow I'm finding that my connection is being refused on every IRC client I try - icechat, Firefox chat, and mIRC. They all try to connect, get refused, and try to reconnect at longer intervals. Is there something I need to disable? I'm currently running Windows Vista. Thanks for any help.
Snarestep
Knight of Useless Drivel

Timezone: EST

PostAuthor: Micah » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:11 am

Micah
Lead Producer

DM Avatar: Pelar

PostAuthor: Gorgon » Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:14 am

Some of you have been having difficulty getting connected lately. The reason is here: http://www.gamers-irc.org/ and you can also find all of the irc info that used to be on stratics.com there as well. Short version is that what we knew as Stratics IRC is now Gamers-IRC, and Stratics is no longer a part of the irc stuff.

Since they have posted the news in a blog with no links directly to each article (or even id reference X:| ), I'll quote the relevant ones below. They will eventually be replaced with others on that page, and the link above will not show the ones I intended. They do say the new site is a work in progress, so if they fix up some proper linkage, I'll try to remember to add it here later (or someone else can).

Before that, I'll post the new servers to connect to, so you don't have any more problems. Note that a few of them are the same as before (and a few old stratics address still connect to it. No clue for how long). Krackq may want to update the mibbit address used for the forum chat as well, since I noticed it was using stratics.frws.com the last time I tried it. irc.frws.com is probably the same with a new dns name.

If you aren't sure which one to use, just use irc.gamers-irc.org and it will connect to a random one (same as irc.stratics.com used to). This is also useful if the one you are using goes down, and you need to find one that is still up (rather than manually trying each one).

IRC Servers (and ports)
NOTE: General connections to irc.gamers-irc.org will be connected to a random server from the list below.

United States - Colorado

> irc.frws.com 6667,6668,7000
> irc.gamers-irc.org 6667,6668,7000

United States - Missouri

> irc.us.glowfish.de 6667,6668

Europe - France

> irc.glowfish.de 6667,6668

Stratics IRC ends its run after almost 20 years!
Oct 15, 2014 by Zephenia

It is with a heavy heart and a sigh that we have to announce that Stratics IRC, as it was for almost 20 years, is no more. After many UO HOCs, developer visits and a stable chat system we will move on without the domain we have used for a very long time.
We would like to thank all the previous Stratics IRC staff and Server Admins for all their hard work and dedication for keeping this a safe and reliable place for people to come to gather and chat about their favorite online games. Den Dragon, the longtime original owner of Stratics.com, Taylor and now the new owners - good luck and godspeed. This is a wonderful community and they deserve the best that you can offer them - please do not disappoint.
We have been here since 1998! A long run for any service, and we will stay here and let chatters come and share their tales, experiences and woes (as we all have them!).

This decision was made by the new Stratics owners, not by the IRC Staff and did catch us off guard so bear with us as we work to recreate the website. Expect no changes in servers or Services, at least for the moment.
So welcome to the Gamers-IRC IRC network, dedicated to giving you the same network, same staff and dedication as before - with a different name.
PS. More history will follow as we finish updating the site and gatherng what we have!
Thanks for being here and reading this, Happy Gaming!!

From your Gamers-IRC IRC Staff!

Gamers-IRC.org is no longer affiliated with Stratics
Oct 15m 2014 by Zephenia

Welcomed to our network - same servers, same staff!
IRC.GAMERS-IRC.ORG is still here... come chat with us!

We will be updating the website in the next couple days, please bear with us!

From your Gamers-IRC IRC Staff!

*Edits* If someone wants to update the wiki page for it here: http://wiki.avlis.org/Avlis_Chat, go for it. I'm heading to bed, and might forget to do it tomorrow.

Gorgon
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster

PostAuthor: Gorgon » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:55 am

irc.frws.com and irc.us.glowfish.de died a little while ago, for all of those wondering why they can't connect. If you can connect, then weird routing issues maybe, but ChanServ got transferred to the remaining online server irc.glowfish.de (in Europe). You can connect there and find those who are left online, until the other servers come back.

*edits* irc.gamers-irc.org will try them all until getting to a working one, so you can use that as well, though it may take a few tries.
*edit 2* After testing that random one, and it only trying to connect to the dead ones over and over, I'd stick with direct connect to irc.glowfish.de until things return to normal. http://www.gamers-irc.org/ is dead too, so I can't find any news about what happened (yet).

Gorgon
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster

PostAuthor: Gorgon » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:33 am

Everything seems to be back to normal now.
Nothing to see here.
These are not the droids you are looking for.
Move along, move along...

Gorgon
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster

PostAuthor: Gorgon » Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:18 am

The Avlis IRC channel has been a constant friend and source of entertainment for many of us for over a decade (and a half on top for some), and regular patrons of the room get very familiar with its patterns. When those familiar patterns change subtly over time, we notice. When they change drastically (like tonight), we worry... or leap to conspiracy theories (if you like that stuff). Well I do anyways.

So it is prime time Friday night, and the room has only 23 people in it (plus ChanServ). Normally we would be into the mid to high 30's, or more if some sort of event was happening IG.I could worry about who killed the rest, but instead, I point you to the Chat With Us Now! thing. If you have another IRC client besides Mibbit, great, but I think I see Kassha with a knife in the shadows, going for another victim... or is that AJ? Hard to tell with them all playing with the bots more than talking to each other.

Don't blame me if the room starts partying up to take each other out. There is safety in numbers! Just join and say hi. Everyone is real nice until they can figure out where you stash your stuff. Great place to make new allies friends.

*edits* If a bunch of you figured out how to get dates with others of whatever sex tonight, instead of doing Avlis stuff, you will be forgiven this one time... we do have a pic topic for that too. :mrgreen:

Gorgon
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster

PostAuthor: Gorgon » Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:23 am

With the Trade Fair this weekend, now is a great time to drop by our IRC room and meet the folks behind the toons! If you don't have a proper IRC client, the Chat With Us Now! mibbit link is an easy alternative.

Don't be afraid to say hi when you do. The regulars might be busy in game (and a bit slow to reply), but are always happy to meet new folks. We are great multi-taskers when we set our minds to it too. :wink:

Gorgon
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster

PostAuthor: Gorgon » Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:39 pm

Almost 40 hanging out in #Avlis IRC now, all talking about the good old days while gumming their jello.

You know you wanna click that Chat With Us Now! link. It is calling to you! :grandpa: :mrgreen:

Gorgon
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster

PostAuthor: Gorgon » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:04 am

The room still gets busy during peak hours and on weekends, but I guess everyone is off doing other things right now.

When I see only 12 people in the room, and it isn't a net-split, I know it is time to bump this, and get more of you lurking about the room with us again (we are so lonely!!! :P ).
It's not like you have real lives or anything, right? Even if you do, doesn't everyone have a bunch of hidden chat windows at work, and walk around with their mobile devices connected to dozens of things? Can't hurt to add one more, can it?
:mrgreen:

Gorgon
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster

PreviousNext

Return to The Avlis Project: General Discussion