Gallery

Links Menu

MacGuffins!

General discussion about Avlis

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Dungeon Masters

MacGuffins!

PostAuthor: Plethora » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:57 am

Hi folks,

As you may have noticed, DMs are starting to make IC posts asking adventurers to investigate locations where rumor has it, bad things are happening. We'd like to give you a brief rundown of how these "DM Dungeons" work.

DMs will post a job request on the forums. On these requests they'll make clear what level range the job is intended for. For the most part the encounters will be scaled for that level range, so please respect a DM's desire to keep things in that range.

Assemble a party of PCs of around that level (how you do this we'll leave up to you) and go investigate the incident! Note that because these are meant for parties, they may be hard to do if you are trying to solo them.

Some of these will be self-contained, others will lead you to further adventure. Either way at the end of the adventure the DM will leave you a clear clue that the adventure is over. This will usually be in the form of an item.

Once you've finished the encounter, follow the DM's instructions on how to collect your reward! Some DMs will want a public write-up, others proof of completion in the form of the item. Either way, the DM will then give you the reward they prepared for the event. If they are unable to give you your reward due to scheduling conflicts, the DM will send a different staff member to deal with your needs.

If you have further questions post them below and we'll answer them.

Feedback is always appreciated. Now go out there and have some fun!
Well, i've heard about the fella you've been dancing with, all over the neighborhood..
...why didn't you ask me baby? Or didn't you think I could..
Plethora
Head DM
Head DM

Timezone: +11 (DST)
DM Avatar: Verossa

Re: MacGuffins!

PostAuthor: Ashan » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:12 am

I'd just like to say so far these have been awesome and i'd recommend people who haven't tried to go out and do it!
Player of,
Gurkz
Ashan
Apprentice Scholar

Timezone: gmt

PostAuthor: Kandi_Nulein » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:23 am

Are these purely combat things or are there investigative ones as well, like a murder mystery say?
Member of The Plethora Fanclub!

Currently playing: Roxxy (Kandi's ward), Flutterbye, a half sylph psion with a doll named Norman and Mungo Buggins, a rotund Hin with a pie eating problem.
Kandi_Nulein
Scholar

Timezone: GMT

PostAuthor: Plethora » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:03 am

Kandi_Nulein wrote:Are these purely combat things or are there investigative ones as well, like a murder mystery say?

Each one is unique depending on the DM
Well, i've heard about the fella you've been dancing with, all over the neighborhood..
Plethora
Head DM
Head DM

PostAuthor: ShadowViper » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:13 am

other question are this run once events or repeat events? Meaning if group A does this event can group B repeat this event 2 hours later.
It's good to be evil.
ShadowViper
QA Tester
QA Tester

PostAuthor: Katroine » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:21 pm

For those starting an adventure, it might be nice to post a little IC "so and so sets out with their band to investigate" sort of post so others do not try later finding it already finished or maybe that one solo player who really wants to play but could not find anyone can log in and join you.
"However friendly they may seem, they must be corrupt to the core, and I must never forget that."
Katroine
Team Member; Retired with Honors

Timezone: Mountain

PostAuthor: RCon » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:11 pm

ShadowViper wrote:other question are this run once events or repeat events? Meaning if group A does this event can group B repeat this event 2 hours later.

The idea sounds great! The above was my only question. I'm guessing they are run once events, since the DM would have had to set up the encounters manually?
RCon
Legacy DM
Legacy DM

PostAuthor: Zonr_0 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:16 pm

The events are one-shots, meaning once a monster is killed, it's dead. The monsters do not respawn so you can chip away at one for as long as you like, or leave and come back later with more firepower. As a team, we will avoid restarting the server while there are still uncompleted adventures, so they should remain up for a few days as long as nobody comes in and beats them while you're gone.

With that in mind, some of us design these adventurers to be considerably more difficult then your typical DM event or static dungeon of similar level. That's certainly not the case for all of them though of course, but if you get stuck, feel free to come back later after resting with more friends.
Zonr_0
CCC
CCC

Timezone: PST GMT -8
DM Avatar: Mikon

PostAuthor: krackq » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:19 pm

This idea rocks. Great way to encourage parties, do a dm'ed style event even without a dm around, and encourage ic writeups. This is win all around!
[Celedor Dedwend: [Talk] *turns around and shakes ass before giving it a sharp slap*
Celedor Dedwend: [Party] ((this is my finest RP beyond a shadow of a doubt.. my zenith if you will))
Fydonya Ivythorn: [Party] that's sad celedor..
krackq
Jugglebutt Jones

Timezone: GMT-5

PostAuthor: navink » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:34 pm

I've noticed these and wanted to try one, cause it seems like a great idea.
But as far as I can tell they are all announced morning to midday gmt, which means when one is working euro daytime (or in the case of the US people sleeping to get ready for a workday) they already solved when one gets home late afternoon/early evening.
Would it be possible to spread these announcements a bit around the timezones so more people would get a chance of trying it?
navink
Scholar of Fools

Timezone: GMT+2

PostAuthor: rshampshire » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:58 pm

navink wrote:I've noticed these and wanted to try one, cause it seems like a great idea.
But as far as I can tell they are all announced morning to midday gmt, which means when one is working euro daytime (or in the case of the US people sleeping to get ready for a workday) they already solved when one gets home late afternoon/early evening.
Would it be possible to spread these announcements a bit around the timezones so more people would get a chance of trying it?

My suspicion is that the DM's are setting these up as and when they get chance to log in themselves and the announcements are made soon after they've finished setting the scene. While the announcements in theory could be staggered, our hard working DM's would run the risk of an Epic accidentally walking into their nicely set up scenario and either getting pwned or soloing an adventure designed for lowbies.
Belkar says "If in doubt, set something on fire"
http://www.youtube.com/rshampshire
http://www.myspace.com/richhampshire
rshampshire

DM Avatar: O Ma

PostAuthor: Zonr_0 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:01 pm

Right now, more than one of us on the DM staff seem to be suffering from cases of insomnia, and they're a nice thing to set up in the middle of the night when we can't sleep. :P

So, I'll try to post some more at sane timezones as soon as my body stops hating me.
Zonr_0
CCC
CCC

Timezone: PST GMT -8
DM Avatar: Mikon

PostAuthor: solitude_peace2 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:31 pm

Perhaps an OOC note in the trans?
~~~~~~~-------------~~~~~~~ K@ fan
solitude_peace2
Apprentice Scholar

Timezone: East Coast, USA

PostAuthor: Plethora » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:25 pm

solitude_peace2 wrote:Perhaps an OOC note in the trans?

I think you with find, most of these have something unusual at the start, and are tucked out of the way. So if you do find something odd, best to check thats server IC forum, to see if its oneshot.
Plethora
Head DM
Head DM

PostAuthor: Plethora » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:25 am

I just wanted to add as well, when we do these we set out a reward notice DM side, so if you complete one, you can ping any DM to claim the etxra reward !

Don't be shy <[8)
Plethora
Head DM
Head DM

PostAuthor: Plethora » Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:38 am

A few of these up at the moment, a quick bump for those that arent sure what these are about!
Plethora
Head DM
Head DM

PostAuthor: Sunscream » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:54 pm

At the time of this writing there should still be two of Pleth's up.
Sunscream
Master Sage

Timezone: GMT-4

PostAuthor: Plethora » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:52 am

*bumps thread for new folks and old, who may be wondering about the mcguffin posting*
Plethora
Head DM
Head DM

PostAuthor: Plethora » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:19 am

*bumpbump*

Just a reminder also, all mcguffins have EXTRA rewards to collect!

Names of the people who went, are posted teamside, and the rewards are also listed there, so ANY dm can reward you!

Many go unclaimed, but do not hesitate to ping DMs to get them for you, they usually consist of extra XPz and/or Extra gold
Plethora
Head DM
Head DM

PostAuthor: Plethora » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:41 am

Ok, so I have had quite a few queries on the mcguffin rules, well, my mcguffin rules, so I thought i would clarify a few things !

Standard pleth rules, you see them all the time.

//this is a mcgruffin event for <insert level> PCs.
Please do not attempt with less then four party members.
Feel free to run and get backup if needed!
You must do a write-up of what is found, and send a PM with the McGuffin item and party members names for extra XP/reward
No soloing
No crying
<[8)

This is a mcguffin event for <insert level here> PCs

This one comes up a bit, "What is the numbers and what are the level breaks?"
The truth is, its not really about what level PCs go, but kinda stating the difficulty of the adventure. I dont want to make any hard and fast rules about level requirements and who can go and not go. For me, the mcguffin is about people people grouping up, inspiring forum stories, and offering "something fun to do" at different levels of difficulties.
Usually when I DM i can judge the partys strenght, and add or remove monsters to cater to the party, depending who goes, but the mcguffin, like a new mini dugeon, I cant control.
A party of five low level dwarven defenders, is not the same as a party of low level mages..

So the level requirements are not hard and fast rules. Just a gauge of how hard it will be. Low level never means level 1-5, Avlis has heaps for the mini peeps to do. and if I add the next level up, it means it might be hard, depending on the party. Its more important to me that people get a group together and do something interesting then coming down on level requirements.
Builds, gear, a million factors overide actual level.

Please do not attempt with less then four party members.

As stated, the point of the mcguffin is groups of people getting a chance to adventure and RP with each other.

Feel free to run and get backup if needed!

This one is important! It means you may go and get whatever back-up you need to finish it, if you try with your party and fail. Go get Geris if you want too, I dont mind.

You must do a write-up of what is found, and send a PM with the McGuffin item and party members names for extra XP/reward

As stated

No soloing

As stated

No crying

As stated

<[8) <------ Thats my Princess emote!
Plethora
Head DM
Head DM

PostAuthor: Soshus Eblum » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:43 pm

I do so love me my McMuffins *coughs* McGuffins! :D
God give you the grace to purge this place
And peace all around may be your fortune

Oh oh children of the land
Love is still the answer, take my hand
The vision fades, a voice I hear
"Listen to the madman!"
Earth = Rock

Min Våte Drøm
Soshus Eblum
Sage

PostAuthor: Plethora » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:45 pm

Katroine wrote:For those starting an adventure, it might be nice to post a little IC "so and so sets out with their band to investigate" sort of post so others do not try later finding it already finished or maybe that one solo player who really wants to play but could not find anyone can log in and join you.

Bumping this yeah.

If you do form a party and seek out a mcguffin, it is nice to post that you are doing so, others may want to join, or have plans to go, so first in, first served!
Plethora
Head DM
Head DM

PostAuthor: Plethora » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:32 am

Just letting you guys know as well, Mcguffins do not last forever, they are usually not up for more then 3 days or so, as we need to refresh the servers every three days.
DMs will usually refresh a server before setup, so to get max server time, but you need to get at them quickly!

Pleth
x
Plethora
Head DM
Head DM

PostAuthor: maxinion » Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:16 am

*bump!* There's one that lives!
maxinion

DM Avatar: Andrinor

PostAuthor: Olaf » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:29 am

*Bump* A mcguffin has been placed on the underdark server. Look here --> CLICK
Always be yourself... unless you can be a Unicorn. Then always be a Unicorn.
Olaf

DM Avatar: Titania

Next

Return to The Avlis Project: General Discussion