Total players: 1
Gallery
  • Helbyssia Final Battle
    Album name: DM Events
    Uploaded by: krackq
    Uploaded: Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:59 am

Links Menu

MANDATORY READING: CvC Rules

Forum for posing direct questions to the Avlis Team. Purpose is to facilitate Team/Player communication.

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Dungeon Masters

MANDATORY READING: CvC Rules

PostAuthor: Micah » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:29 pm

IF YOU DO NOT SET HOSTILES BEFORE INITIATING CVC WITH AN OPPONENT YOU WILL BE TAKEN TO TASK BY THE TEAM, WITH PUNISHMENTS RANGING FROM STERN WARNINGS, TO VAULT JAILS, TO BANNING. THIS RULE IS NON-NEGOTIABLE. PERIOD.

For you to get in trouble for this, there is no grief report required. The player who doesn't get hostiled might not even care. That is not the point. The combat engine is only fully functional when hostiles are active, and not setting hostiles indicates that you are either ignorant of the rules or disrespectful of other players. You don't want to get the team thinking any of these things about you, regardless of whether you have been here for 6 months or 6 years. So learn the rules, and learn them now. The incidence of veteran community members breaking this rule is appalling.

Your first warning came with your application. This is your second, or for some of you, third or fourth. I think that's plenty lenient enough, so now the responsibility for clean CvC is on you. CvC can be extremely fun, win or lose, but only if all players adhere to and accept the non-negotiable standard set by the DMs. Setting hostiles is the first step towards achieving that.
Micah
Lead Producer

Timezone: GMT-5
DM Avatar: Pelar

Re: MANDATORY READING: CvC Rules

PostAuthor: Korennya » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:18 pm

Just a little tip for those engaged or starting to get engaged in this sorta thing. I keep our new fancy hostile "feat" quicksloted on the bottom bar, right on top so it's always there reminding me to take approprate action before actually engageing. Unless of course I'm playing my alt and I simply hostile the whole server when I log in :) THe lovely part about this new tool is you don't have to actually hit the guy with it, simply hitting the ground next to him will hostile a small radius around the target as well. Great for 1v1 or if you happen across a small army of leezard , you can generally hostile them all in one shot.
Korennya
CCC
CCC

Timezone: EST

PostAuthor: spool32 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:49 pm

I mean, seriously folks. The Gentleman's Agreement has several stipulations, but there are only two CvC rules.

Just two! That's it!

1: No PvP... characters fight for IC reasons only.
2: Set Hostile before you attack.

People, please stop failing.

-spool32
Success will be lovely, but you will have to go out and get it! Failure will invite itself in.

Your donation makes this sig possible!
Monthly donations help you Lose Weight Fast!
DM 101
spool32
Team Member; Retired with Honors

Timezone: GMT -6

PostAuthor: StormShadows » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:19 pm

Retracted
Last edited by StormShadows on Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StormShadows
Prince of Bloated Discourse

PostAuthor: Ambrosia » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:24 pm

rules wrote:Set your enemies to dislike: This is always the responsibility of the attacker and can be done as soon as right after logging in or as late as a split second before the actual attack but the bottom line is that it must be done.
Ambrosia
QA Resource

PostAuthor: darthmullet » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:33 pm

StormShadows wrote:I guess my one question would be what if (for whatever reason) you decided to stab a party member in the back. Setting hostile is kind of a give away that you are about to pull something...

Not that I plan (or even expect) to ever do this, I am terrible at playing evil characters. I played a LN druid in OC once, moved up to good and almost did not make it back to neutral because of my trouble performing evil acts (even in a game. I am just too much of a nice guy.) It just occurred to me that for any sort of preexisting conflict the nice little formalities work fine, but in betrayal, ambush, or surprise situations (where the point is that the other guy has no clue it is coming) I am not sure how it would work.

editIf this is answered somewhere else that is fine. I have never really looked into all the PvP stuff because I don't like doing it. I just thought I would bring this up because it might be something that someone could need clarified.

The Radial option of hostiles does not alert the target that you have hostiled them. Dropping party and hostiles are OOC acts, and should not be used in an IC fashion. ie. buffing when someone sets you hostile. This is metagaming, do not do it.

It does detract form the surprise in an ambush situation, but there is nothing we can do about it, and setting hostiles is STILL MANDATORY, period.
Member of the Ghostie fan club
(Double Member)
darthmullet

Timezone: CST -6

PostAuthor: StormShadows » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:54 pm

That came across as a rather more snappish response than I think the question merited, I certainly did not think it was that stupid of a question. My apologies for miss-estimating its value, question retracted.

Note to self: Do not ask questions. Period.
Last edited by StormShadows on Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StormShadows

PostAuthor: darthmullet » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:55 pm

Questions are fine. I was just reiterating the seriousness of making sure you do it.

I will note the first part of my statement was aimed at anyone who would take such an encounter, being hostiled by a party member, as an IC act.
(Double Member)
darthmullet

PostAuthor: darthmullet » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:22 pm

StormShadows wrote:That came across as a rather more snappish response than I think the question merited, I certainly did not think it was that stupid of a question. My apologies for miss-estimating its value, question retracted.

Note to self: Do not ask questions. Period.

My point in answering your question, was that any number of situations that need clarifying could arise, and so to squelch people asking about every situation I made it a point to say that no matter what, Hostiles had to be set.
(Double Member)
darthmullet

PostAuthor: Trigger » Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:20 am

Storm,

I've done that succesfully, you have to set hostiles yes, but it doesn't say when.. it can be set the very second before you hit attack, it's not to give the victim fair warning, just to make sure that all the little systems in place in our wonderful little game here work properly and that there is no confusion about your intent.

Oh, and your avatar is too big :P
Eleanor.

Vanguard Valkyrie of Dre'ana
~Strength . Faith . Sisterhood~
Trigger

PostAuthor: Jo' d » Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:32 am

SS sez:
Note to self: Do not ask questions. Period

Not sure what vein this was presented in (shortcoming of print expression), my hope is that it was sarcasm. If it were not, I am saddened, for this community deserves better.

Jody
PEACE PLEASE!

Jo' d
Silver Member

PostAuthor: Nighthawk4 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:34 am

People:

1. Calm down
2. The setting of Hostile before CVC is due to a limitation of the Game Engine - there is nothing we can do about that.
3. Doing so is a Rule which must be followed - otherwise there will be repercussions from the Team.
4. People are welcome to discuss such matters publicly, but please do so in a civil manner - the other person is also allowed their opinion, even if it disagrees with yours.

Play on :wink:
Life is never as bad as you think it is, although that doesn't help at the time.

Orleron wrote:I think it's a fun idea if you can idiot-proof it. Problem is God always builds a better idiot. :P

Please visit:
Avlis UK, ACE Forum and SATF Forum

Nighthawk4
Eldest DM
Eldest DM

Timezone: GMT
DM Avatar: DruEl

PostAuthor: Gorgon » Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:00 am

StormShadows wrote:I guess my one question would be what if (for whatever reason) you decided to stab a party member in the back. Setting hostile is kind of a give away that you are about to pull something...

You may also want to look into the rule about pickpocketing people and setting hostile first. Again, it is due to the same limitations in the game engine, so plan accordingly.

The rules section something all new players should read through while waiting for their acceptance email. Most of it is policy stuff for if/then cases that don't happen often, but it really doesn't take long to read through them all.

And since it was mentioned...
Trigger wrote:Oh, and your avatar is too big :P

http://www.avlis.org/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=87140

Agreed, but yours is also up there. Mine too at 70x100, but I do try. The forum doesn't have the 80x80 warning now, but does say an 8k cap (that obviously isn't enforced). The policy and common sense should do though. When you get up near the 150-200 pixel mark for width, it messes up some browsers with all the blank space. If you see that your avatar is taking up a good chunk of other posts, think about going smaller. :good:

*notes that big avatars aren't as destructive these days to other posts thankfully, but are still annoying*
"God not only plays dice, he throws them in the corner where you can't see them."
-- Stephen William Hawking (b. 1942) --

Sprucing up ye olde NWN | Modifying nwn.ini and nwnplayer.ini | ~Rare Items Wanted~ | Stealth Modifiers
Gorgon
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster

Timezone: PST -8

PostAuthor: StormShadows » Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:35 am

Trigger wrote:Storm,

I figured it was a bit on the wide side. Been planning to replace it, just because I did not like that, but never found any inspiration for a new one. Did not realize there was a kb limit on avatars.That, like questions, is easily fixed.

At this rate it will probably be all of 2 weeks before I go back to WoW...

StormShadows

PostAuthor: Darkfire » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:22 am

The question asked is one that has been repeated many, many times about a rule that we attempt to make as clear as possible. That in itself is fine. However, it needed to be made clear again that under no circumstances is hostile not to be set before engaging in CvC. This does not mean under any circumstance except one cleverly developed situation that we may not have thought of, but every single one. All of them.

Darthmullet's response was not malicious or snappy. It was an attempt to make it as clear as possible. Caps is not yelling or bitching, it is emphasizing the importance of what is being capitalized.

If you are going to quit over something like this, all I can say is sorry and hope you have fun playing WoW.
CoEMF :devil: :feuer:
WrathOG777: This is a roleplaying game. There is no such thing as winning or losing. Only playing.
Player of Dameon Nepirtas
Darkfire
Major DM
Major DM

Timezone: CST (-5 GMT)

PostAuthor: Cushman » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:03 pm

StormShadows wrote:
Trigger wrote:Storm,

I figured it was a bit on the wide side. Been planning to replace it, just because I did not like that, but never found any inspiration for a new one. Did not realize there was a kb limit on avatars.That, like questions, is easily fixed.

Keep the same one, just resize it with your favorite app. *shrugs*
Zeron: Torori Lieutenant, 1/2 Drizzt, fateforgetter
Jessica Paragon: Ex-White Order Great Mage of Arms, HEAL Sr. Partner, Ex-AAAA Journeywoman, leafling
-------------
Member of the Dev & QA fan club (MadK@ for president!)
Cushman
Scholar

Timezone: US Eastern

PostAuthor: ScottG » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:41 pm

The hostile "feat" does not work for shifters when in a shifted form...

ScottG
Scholar of Fools

Timezone: -8

PostAuthor: Sarmanos » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:44 pm

I would like to add that if you know other PCs are in the area that MAY get involved you should Hostile them as well just to be on the safe side or even send them a tell asking if they will before you do just out of courtesy(if possible).
Vetinari: I have noted before that you have a definite anti-authoritarian streak, Commander.
Vimes: Sir?
Vetinari: You seem to have retained this even though you are Authority.
Vimes: Sir?
Vetinari: That's practically Zen.
Sarmanos

Timezone: GMT -5

PostAuthor: itsabughunt » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:45 pm

Gorgon wrote:*notes that big avatars aren't as destructive these days to other posts thankfully, but are still annoying*
I use Firefox w/ Adblock addon to kill every avatar that is even borderline annoying (in particular those obnoxious animated .gifs - I hate those). I assassinated all of the emoticons too, which is easier since I can use the smile/* to get em all at once.
itsabughunt

Timezone: GMT -8
DM Avatar: Aarilax

PostAuthor: Kandi_Nulein » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:03 pm

ScottG wrote:The hostile "feat" does not work for shifters when in a shifted form...

It's removed from the quickslot when in Lycan form...or so I'm led to believe ;)
Member of The Plethora Fanclub!

Currently playing: Roxxy (Kandi's ward), Flutterbye, a half sylph psion with a doll named Norman and Mungo Buggins, a rotund Hin with a pie eating problem.
Kandi_Nulein
Scholar

Timezone: GMT

PostAuthor: itsabughunt » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:15 pm

Kandi_Nulein wrote:
ScottG wrote:The hostile "feat" does not work for shifters when in a shifted form...

It's removed from the quickslot when in Lycan form...or so I'm led to believe ;)

Would it be possible to build this into an OOC inventory item, and then hot-key the item?
itsabughunt

Timezone: GMT -8
DM Avatar: Aarilax

PostAuthor: MadK@ » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:40 pm

This is in the works for the next hak update. Not a lot we can do about it until then sorry.
MadK@
Legacy DM
Legacy DM

Timezone: +8 GMT
DM Avatar: Xenon

PostAuthor: Brayon » Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:33 pm

*coughs and points to the Forum section* The thread was moved to AtT... please remember to post accordingly. :-)

Pleth is the Best!
AJ is Arcadia's Brother

Dear whoever is reading this.
You're beautiful, and someone out there is crazy about you.
So smile.
Life is too short to be unhappy.
Brayon

PostAuthor: Belasco » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:17 pm

Since this is now in Ask the Team, any discussion needs to move to a different forum. From here on anything that is not a question will be removed, per the normal AtT thread rules.

Thanks!

Belasco
*points to forum titles*
R. H. wrote:Why do some people blame everyone but themselves for their problems, if they don't get that they are the problem, than there is no solution!
Belasco
Silver Contributor

PostAuthor: thetamlyone » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:36 pm

Okay, I have done VERY little CvC at all, so even though I've been around here a while, I'm a noob when it comes to CvC, so I have one simple but very important question: If a DM catches me handling this incorrectly, is it going to be assumed that I'm deliberately flouting the rules? I ask because the day before this warning was posted, I was involved in some CvC (which timing spooked me all by itself), and I have been thinking about that incident. The other players had set us to hostile I am pretty sure (but not positive about all three), and they were in the middle of a cloud of hostile npc's. Frankly, they were DP'd before I had much chance to realize they were there....and we did res them and have a nice RP session afterward, so I like to think all was handled correctly. Actually, one more question....just to show you how inexperienced I am with CvC :)....if the other person sets me to "dislike," is there more to be done before Thralia attempts to put an arrow through his eye?
Thralia Dy'nesh
Warrior Maiden
Le'Megan Officer
Senior HEAL partner

(Also, Unien Tir'ende'dwa)
thetamlyone
Apprentice Scholar

Timezone: Central

Next

Return to The Avlis Project: Ask the Team