Underdark - (0)
Mikona - (0)
Total players: 8
Gallery

Links Menu

Character Vault Wipe

General discussion about Avlis

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Dungeon Masters

Do you like the idea of wiping out the entire vault?

Yes
28%
No
68%
Maybe (Specify below)
4%

Total votes : 156

Re: Character Vault Wipe

PostAuthor: Jazz » Sun May 18, 2008 5:59 am

Cushman wrote:What about an alternative set of servers, A1#2, an not linked to the other CoPaP worlds? No need to wipe anything that way.

That's a most interesting idea. Anyone have 5 computers where we can host these servers? Also, we could use a few more Team Members to update them. We could use a couple of new DM's as well, DMing on twice as many servers is not that easy.

Let's start a few guilds. I'm best with Lawfull types. Anyone want to set up some Guards type of guild? Doesn't have to be city based. Could be fun. Unless Rickus the Second will command it. If we get more then 6 PC's, I'll Sponsor it.

Reminder to self: change lowbie monster spawn to once every 5 minutes.
Jazz
Team Member; Retired with Honors

Timezone: GMT +1/+2

PostAuthor: Jazz » Sun May 18, 2008 6:04 am

Crunk wrote:I saw this and really wanted to vote, but you forgot the "BLOW ME" option

So I chose to abstain

I bet somewhere below all these sarcastic remarks is a Crunky just waiting to be cuddled!
Jazz

Timezone: GMT +1/+2

PostAuthor: KinX » Sun May 18, 2008 7:20 am

Would that mean all existing player social structures would disappear and we'd have to start them all over again?

I dunno about that.

If the primary reason to do a vault wipe is to get everyone on the same page then I don't think that's a good enough reason to do it.
Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

This statement is false
KinX
Elder Sage

Timezone: GMT +1

PostAuthor: Zebranky » Sun May 18, 2008 7:33 am

Jazz wrote:That's a most interesting idea. Anyone have 5 computers where we can host these servers? Also, we could use a few more Team Members to update them. We could use a couple of new DM's as well, DMing on twice as many servers is not that easy.

Let's start a few guilds. I'm best with Lawfull types. Anyone want to set up some Guards type of guild? Doesn't have to be city based. Could be fun. Unless Rickus the Second will command it. If we get more then 6 PC's, I'll Sponsor it.

Reminder to self: change lowbie monster spawn to once every 5 minutes.

Sure, I'm up for the hosting. We can just pull the mods in from the main A1 whenever they get updated, and DMs can run simultaneous events on both versions to maintain continuity (every DM has two computers and enough multitasking ability to handle that, right?). I'll even join your guild.
Code: Select all
<Zebranky> (Also, that would piss SO many people off. ;)
<Nob> That's why it's such a great idea, Zeb.
Zebranky
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: Albion » Sun May 18, 2008 7:51 am

PlasmaJohn wrote:The total NWN population is in decline. The only thing a Vault wipe would accomplish would be to kill what's left of Avlis' population. People who wish to start over can currently do so by rolling a new character or attempt to start their own server, so I really don't see the purpose.

Emphatically no.

My feelings too. Most players of epic characters have been playing them for 2 or 3 years to get to that level. If their characters were wiped they would just not bother going through the grind of leveling another character over again they would just leave and never come back.

Probably all of the guild leaders would be gone as well as almost all of the other active characters in those guilds. And many of the other characters that make Avlis what it is would also leave.

It would be easier to post a sign on the forum saying will the last one to leave please switch off the lights.
Only two things in the world are infinite, the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not quite sure about the former." -Albert Einstein
Albion
Sage

PostAuthor: theP » Sun May 18, 2008 11:27 am

To be honest, I like the idea.
The arguments Nob gave for example (DM'd sessions for lowbies, the fix for the economy "problem", new social situations, etc.) are exactly my thoughts.

Another grand idea, I think, would be if everyone's Epic (or Main Character) would need to be remorted, that the newly started Characters had some, like three items, chosen from the Mains/Epic's inventory, as heritage.

It'd be cool.
~≈Bavou B. Faost≈~ "The Alpha Cockroach."

|COLORS|||Sza Sza Szabot Fanboi!|De eF eL Fanboi! ²

loki70 wrote:boobs are all unique.Why do you think guys want to see them all??
theP
Scholar

Location: Reflection of the looking-glass. Nowhere in Neverland.

PostAuthor: PlasmaJohn » Sun May 18, 2008 1:59 pm

... it would fix the economy...

Not even close. While some of the worst abuses have been plugged, there are still issues. The only thing that biomerchants have going for them is the graphical view of what they have for sale. The latest series of changes to choke what they buy have gone too far. Best not to have them buy at all and code up one that does that has better control over what they buy and how much they pay.

The loot table is in dire need of a rethink. High end potions should not drop at all or very rarely (epic boss fights).

.... 2nd set of servers...

If you were to stand up new servers you may as well just cherry pick some of the subsystems and build new areas from scratch, redesign the crafting system and recipes. That's a lot of work.

theP wrote:Another grand idea, I think, would be if everyone's Epic (or Main Character) would need to be remorted...

There's a good reason why the remort system is optional. There has been a lot of regret there. The only one of my characters that I'd consider doing this to is mostly retired and not epic, so doesn't qualify.

I like my other characters as they are. I would miss them terribly if forced to give them up. While one is somewhat gear dependent, transferring those items would not make me miss that character any less. Many of the relationships she has now are with people that used to play constantly but now come in occasionally. When they are around, we have a grand old time. Reforming those relationships post-wipe would be just about impossible.
Calvin: This is so cool!
Hobbes: This is so stupid.
PlasmaJohn
Team Member; Retired with Honors; Has a Tom Selleck Stache

Timezone: US/Eastern

PostAuthor: wolfwielder » Sun May 18, 2008 2:30 pm

Not only no, but hell no.

I dont disagree that having everyone on a level playing field would be interesting, it would only be a matter of time till that field got skewed again.

Besides I busted my personal ass, spent countless hours online, and was sleep griefed on a number of occasions to get my PC's where they are in the world. Vault wipe and I would find another world or just move on to A2 or another NWN2 world.
wolfwielder

Timezone: GMT -5/-4
DM Avatar: Balgar

PostAuthor: DeadEyeDave » Sun May 18, 2008 2:45 pm

i would advocate a vault wipe for every character on avlis except for ummm.....perigrin jangathorn.

and i would also advocate that anyone who started their characters post wipe would totally treat peri like a god or something.

(i didn't vote because this was not an option for some absurd reason)
Bad poetry?
Oh noetry!
DeadEyeDave
Scholar

PostAuthor: CPU » Sun May 18, 2008 4:26 pm

For the record, the Team does have a solid stance on this topic. While it's interesting to discuss, it's a pretty core value that the vault will not be wiped. Even if the character vault or it's hard drive had an accident and died, I'm sitting on gigabytes and gigabytes of daily back-ups, archived on DVDs. Worse case scenrio, everyone's characters would revert back a few hours (up to a day) in time/XP/Gold/Inventory.

However, with A2 starting up, their vault is already at ground zero, being empty. Everyone can experience the "were all equal," just-starting-out, noob sensation. So this is possible right now.
Avlis Housing Director
PM: Avlis Player Housing
Player Housing Information - This answers most questions people have. Please read this before asking.
CPU

PostAuthor: Cushman » Sun May 18, 2008 4:54 pm

CPU wrote:However, with A2 starting up, their vault is already at ground zero, being empty. Everyone can experience the "were all equal," just-starting-out, noob sensation. So this is possible right now.

Possible yes. Expensive for many, yes.

And FWIW, the 2 sets of servers idea was as devil's advocate for how to start over without a wipe, not a serious suggestion. Even ignoring the other issues, diminishing the player base is just a bad idea (via vault wipe, 2 set of servers, or whatever).

Interesting to think about though.
Cushman
Scholar

Timezone: US Eastern

PostAuthor: Sephira » Sun May 18, 2008 5:06 pm

CPU wrote:For the record, the Team does have a solid stance on this topic. While it's interesting to discuss, it's a pretty core value that the vault will not be wiped. Even if the character vault or it's hard drive had an accident and died, I'm sitting on gigabytes and gigabytes of daily back-ups, archived on DVDs. Worse case scenrio, everyone's characters would revert back a few hours (up to a day) in time/XP/Gold/Inventory.

....You know...

This actually makes me feel a bit better.
GSID Sephira Everliss: The Prophetess [Floaty: "Lily"], Serena Rook
GSID MusicOfLight: Rosaline Lightforger, Mountain Cedar [Floaty: "Hurini Cedar"]
Sephira
Apprentice DM
Apprentice DM

Timezone: US Eastern, -5/-4
DM Avatar: Yeraiah

PostAuthor: loki70 » Sun May 18, 2008 5:28 pm

Jazz wrote:Let's start a few guilds. I'm best with Lawfull types. Anyone want to set up some Guards type of guild? Doesn't have to be city based. Could be fun. Unless Rickus the Second will command it. If we get more then 6 PC's, I'll Sponsor it.

Heh, Always diggin on Rickus. I think Rickus the second will be a Malekite loving Toranite with a penchant for mellowsmoke and strong alcohol. Toss in a few hookers, and he'll be the life of the party...

Umm, would he still get to be a Justicar?
loki70
QA Resource

Timezone: gmt -7

PostAuthor: Lycanthropy » Sun May 18, 2008 6:12 pm

As with many things in life it seems, Deider said it best a while ago:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=70221&p=717624#p717624

8-)
Silver Fox - "it's like Friedrich Nietzche started doing steroids and drag."

Lycanthropy

Timezone: GMT-6
DM Avatar: Senath

PostAuthor: chamalscuro » Sun May 18, 2008 7:24 pm

Talking about a vault wipe is as silly and fanciful as discussing the re-introduction the full suite of Bioware equipment to Avlis. It'll never happen.

No responsible PW is going to destroy its reputation and scatter its player base, and essentially commit suicide by wiping its server vault.
chamalscuro
Platinum Contributor

Timezone: GMT -7

PostAuthor: Fifty » Sun May 18, 2008 8:01 pm

And no-one on Avlis talks about anythign fanciful or silly?

Personally, I'd like to see it, and might even start playing again, but that comes from someone who has killed his two main characters stone-dead and will 100% certainly be leaving them that way, and was going to remort even before deciding to quit, so maybe I don't represent the majority here. 8-)
Hovering around the edges of polite society
Fifty
Uber Posting Whor3

PostAuthor: Pathos Street » Sun May 18, 2008 8:19 pm

I wouldn't mind cleaning out the 30-some characters I never play.
Fergus Goodmane
White Order of the Light
-----
Xiaou wrote:Being the big bad wolf is a responsibility.
Pathos Street
King of Avlis Charades

Timezone: CDT (GMT -5)

PostAuthor: Trole » Sun May 18, 2008 9:38 pm

CPU wrote:
However, with A2 starting up, their vault is already at ground zero, being empty. Everyone can experience the "were all equal," just-starting-out, noob sensation. So this is possible right now.

When your a newb your a newb, there's always those around that built/codded/tested and started the server beta pre live. Most of them even though start a character from scratch post beta, know more than the newb who just found out the server exists, there is no equality of newb lvl when already known knowledge of the server exists by team and or testers who play the normal game. To truly get an equality of newbs..there can't be beta testing by any of the players and none of the team can play a normal character post live.. So even though a vault wipe / new empty vault may seam like your starting everyone off equally your not..beause... some already FOIG'ED nearly everything about the server/servers, other's Still have to FOIG.

Trole
Prince of Bloated Discourse

PostAuthor: Pathos Street » Sun May 18, 2008 9:54 pm

Yeah, but then you'd have a shitty, buggy game with a team that would quickly get bored not being able to play.
Pathos Street
King of Avlis Charades

Timezone: CDT (GMT -5)

PostAuthor: Ninjar » Sun May 18, 2008 9:59 pm

Pathos Street wrote:Yeah, but then you'd have a shitty, buggy game with a team that would quickly get bored not being able to play.

Yeah, without the Closed and Open Betas, A2 would have been hurting in several places. I don't really see the need for a total level of equality among players starting. Everyone at the same level, and likely players more than happy to bring those with little knowledge of the server along would lead to shared knowledge between all parties.

Also, KEEL ALL THE VAULTS! :winkiss:
Ninjar
Major DM
Major DM

Timezone: GMT +2

PostAuthor: spool32 » Sun May 18, 2008 10:15 pm

Making it a discussion about equality exposes a mindset that's more geared toward winning and losing, instead of playing. Going too far down that road is probably a poor idea for the community, and letting yourself fall into that trap almost certainly will ruin your Avlis experience.
Success will be lovely, but you will have to go out and get it! Failure will invite itself in.

Your donation makes this sig possible!
Monthly donations help you Lose Weight Fast!
DM 101
spool32

Timezone: GMT -6

PostAuthor: KinX » Sun May 18, 2008 11:34 pm

you'd also be wiping everyone's social status, which has absolutely nothing to do with exp or gear and is 100% RP. Becoming famous or infamous in the world is a reward in itself.
Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

This statement is false
KinX
Elder Sage

Timezone: GMT +1

PostAuthor: Sephira » Mon May 19, 2008 4:14 am

KinX wrote:you'd also be wiping everyone's social status, which has absolutely nothing to do with exp or gear and is 100% RP. Becoming famous or infamous in the world is a reward in itself.

And THAT ladies and gentlemen is why I voted no.
GSID Sephira Everliss: The Prophetess [Floaty: "Lily"], Serena Rook
GSID MusicOfLight: Rosaline Lightforger, Mountain Cedar [Floaty: "Hurini Cedar"]
Sephira
Apprentice DM
Apprentice DM

Timezone: US Eastern, -5/-4
DM Avatar: Yeraiah

PostAuthor: Adm.Venge » Mon May 19, 2008 9:21 am

spool32 wrote:Making it a discussion about equality exposes a mindset that's more geared toward winning and losing, instead of playing. Going too far down that road is probably a poor idea for the community, and letting yourself fall into that trap almost certainly will ruin your Avlis experience.

[derail thread]
Not certain I understand your point, spool.

The dungeons on Avlis are designed to challenge a party of adventurers. This challenge is based on the "median" expected power of a party. This includes level, ability and gear.

If you play a gear-oriented class, GEAR IS IMPORTANT. Period. While you can enjoy Avlis without ever fighting (although, it is virtually impossible to avoid confrontation), some of the most interesting areas on Avlis are filled with hostile NPCs.

Having a goal of getting better gear and equipment is certainly valid. That is what Trade Fairs are for. Many people have said Guilds are an excellent way of obtaining better gear.

On the other hand, whining that so-and-so has been around since Avlis had one server and thus has a trunkful of CoPaP banned crap that will never see the light of day is not productive either. You dont need a glowstick or a Golden Circlet to survive most dungeons in Avlis if you are in a party.

Bottom line: nothing is wrong with wanting better gear and working for it. Whining for it and trying to take it from someone else is crap.
[/derail thread]
Player; Retired
Grunt wrote:The fact that you are not even a barbarian disqualifies you from topics of Furiousness. Poseur!
Adm.Venge
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: gwydion2 » Mon May 19, 2008 11:55 am

If that were to happen then it would remove anything still motivating me to play Avlis.
I'd quit and probably spend my time on A2 instead
War does not determine who is right, only who is left.
gwydion2
Silver Contributor

Timezone: Gmt+1

PreviousNext

Return to The Avlis Project: General Discussion