Gallery
  • Winter Ball 2015
    Album name: DM Events
    Uploaded by: Ronan
    Uploaded: Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:38 pm

Links Menu

Aging of NWN

Polls for Avlis homepage.

Since NWN has been getting older, have you been playing Avlis more or less?

More
23%
Less
27%
No change
46%
I don't play Avlis
5%

Total votes : 199

PostAuthor: Melakin Skywieder » Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:10 pm

A lot less than from the first year I played NWN/Avlis, more than say 6-8 months ago.

Reasons, RL and long hours of work. A lot of the people that I knew are no longer playing and I cannot put in the time to forge new relationships (which is the main reason I love Avlis).

Also I've been playing some CoH and LOTRO. CoH is a blast to get your total destructive nature out. LOTRO has some wonderful things about it but like was mentioned about guild wars, is soulless and all about doing various quests. Fun initially but I can see where it would lose out to Avlis.

I still have high hopes for A2 though I have not done any more of the SP game since as others have mentioned I found it frustratingly buggy.
If money it the root of all evil, I want to be a bad man!

Melakin Skywieder
Team Member; Retired with Honors

PostAuthor: IceThorn » Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:04 pm

I voted playing Less, but that's because I've been doing much more behind-the-curtain stuff. :)
IceThorn

PostAuthor: Fuzz » Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:36 pm

Way, way less... in fact not at all.

The reasons, however, are completely unrelated to the age of NWN, nor are they really related to RL busy-ness. Make your own opinions of what that means.

Preemptive: Ho ho! You are quite humorous with whatever silly reason you thought up and decided to post below, with a quote of the above line. Bravo.
Fuzz
Elder Sage

PostAuthor: Darkfire » Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:40 pm

Fuzz wrote:Way, way less... in fact not at all.

The reasons, however, are completely unrelated to the age of NWN, nor are they really related to RL busy-ness. Make your own opinions of what that means.

Preemptive: Ho ho! You are quite humorous with whatever silly reason you thought up and decided to post below, with a quote of the above line. Bravo.

*picks some fuzz out of his belly button and tosses it in the trash*
CoEMF :devil: :feuer:
WrathOG777: This is a roleplaying game. There is no such thing as winning or losing. Only playing.
Player of Dameon Nepirtas
Darkfire
Major DM
Major DM

Timezone: CST (-5 GMT)

PostAuthor: Lady Talia » Sun May 27, 2007 2:23 pm

Had to take a break because of RL...but now I'M BACK :lol:
Player of...
Sher'Cha-Warrior Maiden of Dre'Ana and Student of the Academy of Bardic Arts
Bliss-The Eternal Question and Student of Life
Lady Talia
Scholar

PostAuthor: bolo » Sun May 27, 2007 9:37 pm

Have started playing again recently. I trashed my main quite awhile back and the game wasn't the same since. It's the people that make you stay and sometimes it can be the people ( or lack of familiar faces) that make you leave too though..

Been playing some single play mods ( omg Dances With Rogues kicks ass!), and have actually dm'ed a couple mods for some online buddies, which has me actually wanting to get involved in playing with actual people at an actual table.If only I had time for that.

Finally said screw it and started a new character on a totally different server, totally different alignment/class, and am kind of rediscovering Avlis rather than try the umpteenth variation on my former main.
Is fun so far, played all day yesterday, and actually started things I'd never done before, like crafting. Kind of amazing how playing a different server makes it feel like a whole new game.

DMing was actually fun here, but on a PW it feels too much like a job to me, along with some of the politics that go with that.
Wish I had some free time, I'd like to learn enough to make my own campaigns/stories and run them over at NeverwinterConnections .

bolo

Timezone: est -5 gmt

PostAuthor: thetamlyone » Sun May 27, 2007 9:52 pm

Nitro18 wrote:If anything, I'd guess that the age of NWN would only have an impact on the number of new applicant submissions. IMO, I continue playing a game as long as it continues to entertain.

It might do that, but some of my kids that I teach have talked about buying NWN1 so they can play that game I talk about all the time! :D
Thralia Dy'nesh
Warrior Maiden
Le'Megan Officer
Senior HEAL partner

(Also, Unien Tir'ende'dwa)
thetamlyone
Apprentice Scholar

Timezone: Central

PostAuthor: wyrmslayer77 » Sun May 27, 2007 10:15 pm

Moonyju wrote:
tizmo wrote:I don't care how old the game is. I play because of Avlis. And so long as I have the time and Avlis is still fun, I'll continue to play NWN1.

+1

RL is gnawing at my leg so that I have less time to play. But otherwise, no change here. :)

+2
wyrmslayer77
Apprentice Scholar

PostAuthor: killraven666 » Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:55 pm

I voted less, but not because of NWN1 but due to RL issues. I've been playing less all around because of work and wife. I have NWN2 but do not find it as good as NWN1 due to the availability of downloadable add-ons and the community. The only MMORPG I like is City of Heroes/Villains but I have had no time in it even though I pay my monthly fee.

killraven666

PostAuthor: medea » Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:57 pm

It may be aging but it's still a damn fine game. I muchly prefer NWN1 over NWN2 (which I bought upon release and is just taking up space on my computer and shelf).

Oh, and I prefer the persistent worlds to the one-player game! :P
Medea

Playing:
Molly FeatherFingers, Angelica Ebon., & Delirium Le'te'te'fer

"What is done out of love always takes place beyond good and evil."
Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 153

medea
Prince of Bloated Discourse

PostAuthor: yorlik » Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:44 pm

The amount of time I play here depends on the time I have at my hands and if I have fun here.
The age of NWN is no factor there, at least not yet.
But I don’t want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
yorlik
Bronze Contributor

Timezone: CE(S)T

PostAuthor: Isengrim » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:39 am

As in most cases, I don't play that much not because there are newer shiny games around, but because of the RL stuff. If Avlis turned to a text-based MUD game, I would play it anyways.
As I could never refuse a woman... ;)
More or less proud player of:

Ialath Fentellon,
V'sher Shal'ess,
Vittoria Boreas

DanishPastry wrote: Wtf, "Damar Ogdem's Corpse"! That can only mean... HE HAS ASCENDED TO GODHOOD!!11

I killed a PC and all I got was this lousy T-shirt... http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0455.html
Isengrim
Silver Contributor

PostAuthor: whirlin_merlin » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:06 am

The age of NWN has little relevance for me in how much I play, but I am thinking about it when considering creating new PCs. I have three active CoPaP PCs already and there are at least three more I would like to play but I hesitate because I don't know if I would have the time to play them all. As it is one in particular is not advancing as quickly as I would like. I like high level PCs... sue me. :P The other thing is I don't know when Avlis 2 will take over for Avlis and I wouldn't want to have to abandon a PC I put a lot of time into but isn't fully developed. Part of me thinks that if there's something I want to do on Avlis I should just do it, because once it's gone, it's gone and there are some things unique to Avlis that I would want to be part of my PC's life, like guilds and stuff. On the other hand, it doesn't look like Avlis 1 is going anywhere any time soon. I can get on and have people to play with almost any time I want still, which is a lot more than I can say for the last server I spent a significant amount of time on that I can only assume is now dead.

*crosses fingers for certain things in Avlis 1 being present in Avlis 2*
Soriel Amakiir, Warrior Maiden of Dre'Ana (deceased)
Kria Webber, sociopath visitor from Hades

whirlin_merlin
Apprentice Scholar

Timezone: GMT -8

PostAuthor: Eef » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:57 am

It's nothing to do with the age of the game, for me, but more with RL. Now it looks like RL will be easier in a month or so, and I'm really looking forward to that!
Eef

Timezone: GMT +1

PostAuthor: Raen » Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:33 pm

Eef wrote:It's nothing to do with the age of the game, for me, but more with RL. Now it looks like RL will be easier in a month or so, and I'm really looking forward to that!

Ditto. The crowd here, or lack thereof, holds a depth that game engine do not have a part of. But that is from someone who played MMORPG in the DOS days. Go figure.

I wonder, if some enterprising person made the majority of the downloads and haks available on CD . . . Or maybe get the permission for blackdagger.com to sell the game CD.

Had to re-buy the CD's last week to reload the game on a new hard drive and it cost $20. Moved all the haks, tlk, etc over and the game was ready to roll (except it was not the hard drive, it was a motherboard issue) and now life is good again. :lol:
Raen
Silver Lifer

Timezone: Central Time

PostAuthor: Significant Owl » Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:11 am

Less.. Much less. But that's not because NWN is old. Avlis got stale for me. I sold my soul to satan and started on WoW. Right up until I found WoW, though, NWN was the only game I played. The age doesn't really have much of an impact on it when you're having fun, and you are when you're playing Avlis. I realize that much more now that I'm in the shallow WoW waters, RP-wise.
Jesus promised the end of all wicked people.
Thor promised the end of all Ice Giants.
                I don't see many Ice Giants around.
Significant Owl

Timezone: CET

PostAuthor: darthmullet » Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:56 am

Significant Owl wrote:Less.. Much less. But that's not because NWN is old. Avlis got stale for me. I sold my soul to satan and started on WoW. Right up until I found WoW, though, NWN was the only game I played. The age doesn't really have much of an impact on it when you're having fun, and you are when you're playing Avlis. I realize that much more now that I'm in the shallow WoW waters, RP-wise.

*lures Owl back*
Member of the Ghostie fan club
Member of the Ghostie fan club
(Double Member)
darthmullet

Timezone: CST -6

Previous

Return to Avlis Polls