Le'Or - (0)
Deglos - (0)
Visimontium - (0)
Underdark - (0)
Mikona - (0)
Total players: 5
Gallery

Links Menu

What is your favorite Sci-Fi Movie/MovieSeries?

Polls for Avlis homepage.

What is your favorite Sci-Fi Movie/MovieSeries?

Star Wars
36%
Star Trek
22%
The Matrix
2%
Alien
1%
Terminator
1%
2001: A Space Odyssey
1%
Blade Runner
14%
FireFly/Serenity
18%
Fifth Element
4%

Total votes : 92

PostAuthor: Silk » Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:08 pm

BSG did not have a movie, iirc.
Silk

Member of the MadK@t lover's group.
Silk
Co-Founder

PostAuthor: KaiRal Windspar » Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:13 pm

Technically, BSG did start with a mini-series movie, THEN the launched the series production.

Also not on the list, and my pick, is Stargate.
~ Yantri
The most futile thing in this world is any attempt, perhaps, at exact definition of character. All individuals are a bundle of contradictions -- none more so than the most capable. -Theodore Dreiser, author (1871-1945)

PostAuthor: Dark_EK » Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:28 pm

Nighthawk4 wrote:I doubt Harrison can run all that fast now

He still can! After all, he is doing a new Indiana Jones :p
"...and if I don't pay up, I'll go to jail for tax evasion. I'm crazy enough to take on Batman. But the IRS? No, thank you." - The Joker
Dark_EK
Apprentice Scholar

PostAuthor: Nighthawk4 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:39 pm

I didn't think that much of the Stargate film. They are making another one now, which will be straight to DVD. Looking forward to that. :wink:
Life is never as bad as you think it is, although that doesn't help at the time.

Orleron wrote:I think it's a fun idea if you can idiot-proof it. Problem is God always builds a better idiot. :P

Please visit:
Avlis UK, ACE Forum and SATF Forum

Nighthawk4
Eldest DM
Eldest DM

Timezone: GMT
DM Avatar: DruEl

PostAuthor: Cerridwyn » Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:26 pm

Star Trek, although some of the films were really lame, the original started me off into sci-fi wonderland. i liked all of the series to a degree, except for DS9 which was incredibly boring.

what about Farscape?

for TV miniseries....(just ignore the attempt at a series) does anyone remember "V" ? i loved that!
Cerridwyn
Gold Contributor

Timezone: GMT-5

PostAuthor: Nighthawk4 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:29 pm

V was great - the shock when the first lizard had its face ripped off and when they swallowed a guinea pig whole. :shock:
Life is never as bad as you think it is, although that doesn't help at the time.

Orleron wrote:I think it's a fun idea if you can idiot-proof it. Problem is God always builds a better idiot. :P

Please visit:
Avlis UK, ACE Forum and SATF Forum

Nighthawk4
Eldest DM
Eldest DM

Timezone: GMT
DM Avatar: DruEl

PostAuthor: gwydion2 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:43 pm

Some of the later Trek films were pretty weak, but for all the enjoyment I've had from the various series over the years, I had to vote for Trek.

DS9 was my favourite of the various series, after it got over a pretty slow first season or so.
The original series was low budget and would be laughable if made today, but was so out on it's own ground-breaking at the time that it was really uncontested untill Star Wars came along.
It succeeded in making a whole universe to immerse yourself in. It's remarkable it was still being repeated regularly even when Next Gen appeared so many years later. The first series of that was fairly wooden and only made it to season2 because of the fans who desperately wanted to like it, but after that I loved it.

I would have voted for Babylon5 though if that had been on the list. Nothing I've seen in Scifi has come close to rivaling the depth of plot, until the recent BSG
Last edited by gwydion2 on Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gwydion2
Silver Contributor

Timezone: Gmt+1

PostAuthor: gwydion2 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:43 pm

Nighthawk4 wrote:V was great - the shock when the first lizard had its face ripped off and when they swallowed a guinea pig whole. :shock:

Great mini-series. Awful follow on series.
gwydion2
Silver Contributor

PostAuthor: bolo » Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:52 pm

gwydion2 wrote:
Nighthawk4 wrote:V was great - the shock when the first lizard had its face ripped off and when they swallowed a guinea pig whole. :shock:

Great mini-series. Awful follow on series.

Agreed.Let's not forget one of the stars was Freddie Krueger ( Robert Englund)as a "nice" alien.
God that series was shit though. Those were the dark days of tv sci-fi, the days of "Buck Rogers in the 25th Century!"
"Bedebedebede- Hello Buck!"
But at the same time it was strangely compelling. I blame it all on raging teen hormones and Erin Gray.

bolo
Team Member; Retired with Honors

Timezone: est -5 gmt

PostAuthor: Mabus » Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:36 pm

Well I was only going by what was on the poll. Otherwise I'd have to have chosen Red Dwarf.
"In the end all things betray you. Honor. Ideals. Heroism. Allies. Comrades. Lovers. Your eyes. Your limbs. Your heart. And in the end, you betray yourself. And that is the greatest betrayal of all."

"Heroes never die from old age."
Mabus
Prince of Bloated Discourse

PostAuthor: Shardthepious » Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:16 am

Starwars.
Shardthepious
Sage

Timezone: GMT-5
DM Avatar: Dagath

PostAuthor: loki70 » Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:34 am

Mabus wrote:Well I was only going by what was on the poll. Otherwise I'd have to have chosen Red Dwarf.
Ugh, forgot the Dwarf and crew. No movie (yet), but man, what a show...
loki70
QA Resource

Timezone: gmt -7

PostAuthor: Penumbra » Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:51 am

My daughter would slap me silly if I didn't mention Dr. Who. She loves the new series. Its ok she's 7. Well I really like it too. Hell even Mrs. Pen watches!
CPU: I think it would be great for Janus to teach a class at the Academy of Mortal Magic:
"er... I'm Janus, yer substitute teacher. Were gonna talk bout thet bastard Andrinor taday...."
Penumbra
Silver Lifer

PostAuthor: Isengrim » Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:43 am

Star Trek. Had better and worse moments, but as whole the NINE films are far better than any other Sci-Fi series. Yes, nine. Nemesis is NOT a Star Trek. It is ... well... a sad something. :P
As I could never refuse a woman... ;)
More or less proud player of:

Ialath Fentellon,
V'sher Shal'ess,
Vittoria Boreas

DanishPastry wrote: Wtf, "Damar Ogdem's Corpse"! That can only mean... HE HAS ASCENDED TO GODHOOD!!11

I killed a PC and all I got was this lousy T-shirt... http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0455.html
Isengrim
Silver Contributor

PostAuthor: Fifty » Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:47 pm

I re-watched The 5 Doctors recently. Great stuff!

I pretended Terminator 3 never happened and voted for Arnie, but if Firefly/Serenity had been there I would have gone for that.
Hovering around the edges of polite society
Fifty
Uber Posting Whor3

you are missings the "serious" classics

PostAuthor: Stravento » Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:22 pm

1) Stalker
2) the original solaris
3) Fareheneit
4) Brazil
5) Metropolis

and a low budget almost direct transposition of one of Dick novels (second variety), I believe the title is Screamers.

then the first Matrix was nice, while Jhonny Mnemonic was probably the worst ciberpunk evermade. 12 monkeys was nice, paycheck disappointing, another ruined Dick novel, together with Total Recall.

But I think my preferite is Alphaville "I’m too old to argue, I shoot first..."

When I was a kid I probably saw 50000 times the last starfighter, I would vote best scifi for kids ever.

Among the one of the Poll I vote the second Star Wars, the even numbered Star Treck, and Serenity, while I always found 2001 a bit boring, but I am an idiot that doesn't like Kubrick.

The tv-movie of BSG both old and new are nice.

One last thing a bit derailing from the subject, the bet scifi citation ever: finding a crashed Killrathi ships in a field of Ultima 7.

I think the next poll should be which are the worst scifi movie of all times...
Stravento
Scholar

PostAuthor: Vergilius » Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:39 pm

Isengrim wrote:Nemesis is NOT a Star Trek. It is ... well... a sad something. :P

I think the word we're looking for is regurgitation. In that it tried to combine and reuse elements from the other films rather than gettting its own original idea.

Vergilius

Timezone: US Central

PostAuthor: gwydion2 » Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:57 pm

Vergilius wrote:
Isengrim wrote:Nemesis is NOT a Star Trek. It is ... well... a sad something. :P

I think the word we're looking for is regurgitation. In that it tried to combine and reuse elements from the other films rather than gettting its own original idea.

The first Star Trek movie was basicly just a rehash of an old episode on a larger scale. I'd say it was at least as bad as Nemesis.
Fortunately, Wrath of Khan was such great movie, that it kept the whole concept alive.
gwydion2
Silver Contributor

All of 'em rock but...

PostAuthor: killraven666 » Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:48 pm

All of the series rock but I remember being a kid and watching Star Wars at a drive in '77. I've seen it 40-50 times since...geeze i'm a nerd/geek!!!

killraven666

PostAuthor: ba1rd71 » Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:20 pm

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy TV series (NOT I repeat NOT the film) and a small cheer for Blake's 7 which had the best TV theme tune ever ever!
ba1rd71
Gold Lifer

PostAuthor: Mabus » Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:13 pm

I can also name a few more of my favs not mentioned:

Hercules
Xena
Babylon 5
Andromeda
Beastmaster
Kindred: The Embraced (was only on for a very short time, but was another top one for me).

...and what's that other space one with the guy who jumped into the future...can't remember, but that one.
"In the end all things betray you. Honor. Ideals. Heroism. Allies. Comrades. Lovers. Your eyes. Your limbs. Your heart. And in the end, you betray yourself. And that is the greatest betrayal of all."

Mabus

PostAuthor: Katroine » Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:32 pm

Mabus wrote:I can also name a few more of my favs not mentioned:

Hercules
Xena
Babylon 5
Andromeda
Beastmaster
Kindred: The Embraced (was only on for a very short time, but was another top one for me).

...and what's that other space one with the guy who jumped into the future...can't remember, but that one.

Quantum Leap or Sliders?
"However friendly they may seem, they must be corrupt to the core, and I must never forget that."
Katroine

Timezone: Mountain

PostAuthor: Hexminder » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:18 am

Where's CNN and CSPAN?

Hexminder
Knight of Useless Drivel

PostAuthor: gutemensch » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:23 am

Nawen Wiki | Loash Leheven Wiki | Paradise Boutique and Emporium Wiki | FRAwen Wiki

2016 winner of The Micah Ormane Prize for Narcissism
gutemensch
Minor DM
Minor DM

Timezone: -6
DM Avatar: Mishlekh

PostAuthor: Mabus » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:14 am

Katroine wrote:
Mabus wrote:I can also name a few more of my favs not mentioned:

Hercules
Xena
Babylon 5
Andromeda
Beastmaster

Quantum Leap or Sliders?

Oooh! Good mentions! Loved QL and Sliders.

Mabus

PreviousNext

Return to Avlis Polls