Mikona - (0)
Visimontium - (0)
Underdark - (0)
Total players: 6
Gallery

Links Menu

Would you trade in your Epic PC for a chance to start over w

Polls for Avlis homepage.

Would you trade in your Epic PC for a chance to start over with constant DM attention?

Yes
32%
No
68%

Total votes : 102

PostAuthor: Brayon » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:19 pm

I don't have any Epic PC on Avlis, but I would be interested in the propect of this style of game. Would be willing to trade in a 6th level character though.

Pleth is the Best!
AJ is Arcadia's Brother

Dear whoever is reading this.
You're beautiful, and someone out there is crazy about you.
So smile.
Life is too short to be unhappy.
Brayon
Team Member; Retired with Honors

Timezone: GMT -5

PostAuthor: Pathos Street » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:26 pm

loki70 wrote:I'm hearing a lot of "better use of resources" stuff. The point is that the DM would be focused on a group of individuals for a short time every week, plus some behind the scenes planning.

That in itself is more than some guilds get.
Pathos Street
King of Avlis Charades

Timezone: CDT (GMT -5)

PostAuthor: GimpGenius » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:33 pm

Provided there's a commitment from both the DM and the players--which is highly suspect due to RL and the instability of Internet gaming--I think a once-a-week session would be beneficial for some types of players:

1) Casual gamers that can only play a few hours/one or two days per week. A once-a-week, 3-4 hour DM moderated session like Choral's suggesting would allow players who don't have gobs of time on their hands to still feel like a part of the game world; indeed, the presence of a DM would likely immerse them more. With low-level PC's and CoPaP's relatively slow rate of advancement, these kinds of sessions seem to cater to casual gamers who want to RP rather than be WoWed.

2) Players who want DM interaction. No offense to the playerbase or the DMs, but there simply are certain PCs and certain guilds that have more sway over the game world than others; and even within guilds, PCs are not subject to the same level or quality of DMing across the board. I'm sure that's a function of a lot of variables--DM/Player playtimes, proven RP ability by the players, whether the PC is a guild leader or an initiate, etc.--and it's more of an observation than a complaint. There are some PCs out there, regardless of guild, that just "fall through the cracks" with DMing, like it or not; they may get in on a one-off plot, but a DM one-shotter at Elf Gate is a far cry from defeating Drahnul or the Pyrite Dragons. Having a once-a-week session would give players who, for whatever reason, either cannot or do not get the level of interaction that influenced many of you veteran players' RP... and maybe even taught you how to RP yourself when you were wee newbies. :wink:

Personally, I wouldn't have much problem dropping my own PC, since I fall into both of the above catagories for the most part; a once-a-week session would give some excellent interaction and give me a scheduled gaming time to plan around. I may never slay a dragon or save the world, but sometimes it's cooler to save a tree in the woods as a level 1 PC, you know? [/i]

GimpGenius
Apprentice Scholar

PostAuthor: loki70 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:40 pm

Pathos Street wrote:
loki70 wrote:I'm hearing a lot of "better use of resources" stuff. The point is that the DM would be focused on a group of individuals for a short time every week, plus some behind the scenes planning.

That in itself is more than some guilds get.
Yes, but one DM spending a few hours on a few individuals a week doesn't change that, really. There are a whole slough of n00b DMs just creeping out of the woodwork. Trust me, my guild has been gutted of older players because of it. You can always ask them, or the next one that comes along, to sponsor your guild. I've done it, and generally gotten favorable responses.
loki70
QA Resource

Timezone: gmt -7

PostAuthor: spool32 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:12 pm

GimpGenius wrote:Provided there's a commitment from both the DM and the players--which is highly suspect due to RL and the instability of Internet gaming--I think a once-a-week session would be beneficial for some types of players:

1) Casual gamers that can only play a few hours/one or two days per week. A once-a-week, 3-4 hour DM moderated session like Choral's suggesting would allow players who don't have gobs of time on their hands to still feel like a part of the game world; indeed, the presence of a DM would likely immerse them more. With low-level PC's and CoPaP's relatively slow rate of advancement, these kinds of sessions seem to cater to casual gamers who want to RP rather than be WoWed.

2) Players who want DM interaction. No offense to the playerbase or the DMs, but there simply are certain PCs and certain guilds that have more sway over the game world than others; and even within guilds, PCs are not subject to the same level or quality of DMing across the board. I'm sure that's a function of a lot of variables--DM/Player playtimes, proven RP ability by the players, whether the PC is a guild leader or an initiate, etc.--and it's more of an observation than a complaint. There are some PCs out there, regardless of guild, that just "fall through the cracks" with DMing, like it or not; they may get in on a one-off plot, but a DM one-shotter at Elf Gate is a far cry from defeating Drahnul or the Pyrite Dragons. Having a once-a-week session would give players who, for whatever reason, either cannot or do not get the level of interaction that influenced many of you veteran players' RP... and maybe even taught you how to RP yourself when you were wee newbies. :wink:

Personally, I wouldn't have much problem dropping my own PC, since I fall into both of the above catagories for the most part; a once-a-week session would give some excellent interaction and give me a scheduled gaming time to plan around. I may never slay a dragon or save the world, but sometimes it's cooler to save a tree in the woods as a level 1 PC, you know? [/i]

I think it'd be a mistake to drop your own PC, frankly. I run plots for that guild semi-regularly, the last one including the entire guild as much as possible. Over 14 months, they saved:

Some druids from giant attacks
Karak Zvidurat from bugbears
Fourtree from hag occupation
Grovehaven from same
Zvidureth from a series of assaults, and total destruction
Quithranos from total destruction (though not partial)
Nireth from total destruction

Also, they:
cleared out a bandit hideout
rescued scores of Nanshi
exposed a traitor
broke up a smuggling ring
solved puzzles
snuck around
researched
worked with lots of other guilds
negotiated with enemies new and old
got xpz and lewt
suffered dramatic losses
made hard choices
kicked a lot of ass, and
defeated a huge menace to all of T'Nanshi.

Now, there are at least two other story arcs on tap for that guild, and you are one of its more active members. Generally... it's not the proven RP, the IC guild rank, or the timezone, that gets you DM attention... it's the effort you put into it.

Yeah, I know some people have put out effort and gotten little... for that, I'm sorry... we fuck up too. :( All I can say in response is: rothe ghosts.

Its effort to RP, and what you put into the world, that determines what you'll get out of Avlis. No PnP style session is going to change that.

-spool32
Success will be lovely, but you will have to go out and get it! Failure will invite itself in.

Your donation makes this sig possible!
Monthly donations help you Lose Weight Fast!
DM 101
spool32
Team Member; Retired with Honors

Timezone: GMT -6

PostAuthor: Aramithran » Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:07 am

In all my Avlis semi Newbism and non epicness (online of course, offline I´ve DM´d for quite some time) I´d like to state some opinions...

When I first read the IC forums, both PC´s and DM´s posts, I had the notion of this very fleshed and organic world with plenty of coherence.
Low on Magic, hard advancement and filled with good storytelling.

The problem I see, is that all of this atmosphere, mood and general "look and feel" of Avlis is starting to suffer from high and constant Epic population. And this is manifesting in many levels.

Epics were a matter of time... and now the time has come that Avlis prolly has too many of them. This isnt WoW, there is no such thing as "Progression" or "level cap" or "next challenge". The challenge is simple, have fun through a story. Epic or no epic.

Let go your epics, so they can trully be epic. Let them age and be real, or NPCfy em to be the new enemies or powers, but let em go.

If the attachment to the epics continue... at some point Avlis will lose all coherence. Everyone will be Epic... and everything will just be so mundane. Moira will be shadowstepping to bring a cat down from a tree while Gakla the Stone and Blackfang starts to look more and more like Obelix and the romans. (sorry for the puns)

The world will never be in danger, there will be no lady to be rescued, no evil to be feared. And every single plot line will just have to be more absurd than the other (remember that evil guy? that evil god guy? well this one is much more evil and godly).
Not to mention the poor low lvls will just sit down and feel like real "heroes" bringing healing kits for the Sereg skirmish.

Also... think of the DM´s!!! some will thank you !
Its very frustrating to be Dming a lovely kobold or demented gnome just to see a Persuasion check = 54 that solves all.
Or to have the fearsome Illithid invulnerable to everything just so he can actually speak before the epics nail him down.
Im sure lots of DM´s are tired of hearing "oh Baalor! Squishy!".

Think about it, if the DM feels happy, progression could be more through DM RP cookies, rather than 2 years of killing the same mobs.

I say again, its about the challenge of making a good memorable story, not about lewt and xp, not about showing of...
I got World of Warcraft for that (and that character would pwn all of your epics that bully my low level alts hehe)

I´d advise you to take the DM´s offer, I wish I could

my opinion only.
Aram.
Game on.
Aramithran
Scholar of Fools

Timezone: CDT

PostAuthor: Sears610 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:54 am

I think some of Aramithran's points are right on target. I have been in many events where mean old evil dm possessed npc wants to talk and instead gets pwned by over eager pc's. Hell I think i have accidentally done it on occasion. But a great tell in that is if the npc is not hostle. Or a search roll of 85 will tell you everything you want to know.

Alright back on topic. I am of the mindset that epics are kinda like ad hoc dm's. Dm's cant be around all the time. But with us bio wednesdayers running amuck there are no shortage of epics. Someone once said that as you become epic your dm loven goes down and that you in turn should start quests for lowbies (not sure who said this). This is something I have tried to do and wish others would as well.

So is epic really that bad? No not really is what I say, sure there are those that choose to pwn everything, I sure love a good pwning myself. But I do love the rp and there are things that I still want to accomplish with my epic before i kill him off. I have always been of the mindset that I will kill my character off someday. Those that know him have noticed a progression in his age. Max dwarf years is 300, he is 200 to 250ish so he is getting close to his old age mark. From an ooc standpoint I will kill my pc off a little after he has reached level 40. Why? Because its an ooc accomplishment. I have taken the time to do something that not everyone has been able to do.

Also I think everyone is misconstruing the word epic. Sure there is the game engine epic....but then there is the Avlis Epic, or Legendary Epic...(meh does not sound right still need to find the right word)
Anyone can reach Epic game engine wise...just pwrgame your way and bam epic. But to be a true Epic in avlis you have to be everything that epic truly stands for, not just a level number. My PC is level 35, and I still dont think he is an epic pc. But I want try....

Just my 2 cents
Sears610
Apprentice Scholar

Timezone: +3

PostAuthor: Silk » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:14 am

I would like to clarify that this is just a poll.

This poll is in now way, shape, or form any indication of anything other than players talking about a topic.

And, quite honestly, this topic hasn't even been talked about by the team.

So please take it in this conext.

Thank you,
Silk

Member of the MadK@t lover's group.
Silk
Co-Founder

PostAuthor: theP » Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:53 am

maybe one day in the far future I would NPCfy my not so epic Character.
I voted Yes.
~≈Bavou B. Faost≈~ "The Alpha Cockroach."

|COLORS|||Sza Sza Szabot Fanboi!|De eF eL Fanboi! ²

loki70 wrote:boobs are all unique.Why do you think guys want to see them all??
theP
Scholar

Location: Reflection of the looking-glass. Nowhere in Neverland.

Previous

Return to Avlis Polls