Ferrell - (0)
Visimontium - (0)
Underdark - (0)
Total players: 6
Gallery

Links Menu

Would you trade in your Epic PC for a chance to start over w

Polls for Avlis homepage.

Would you trade in your Epic PC for a chance to start over with constant DM attention?

Yes
32%
No
68%

Total votes : 102

PostAuthor: Deider » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:10 am

Question: discounting the epic PC trade-in, what would be the difference between this and say, sponsoring an Avlis guild and running a weekly event for them?

There have been guilds involved in epic plots - indeed, most epic plots have been guild-driven. And those plots often ended with major changes to Avlis - wars ending, gods being created, changes to the way magic is done, etc.

Though those plots often ended up involving multiple guilds, where here it seems you are saying that the 'PnP-style' group will be somewhat contained, perhaps preventing other PCs from horning in on the plot.

I guess I'm just fuzzy on what the differences and benefits would be to doing this versus simply becoming a guild sponsor and providing weekly DM love, PnP-style, to that guild. Seems the infrastructure for this 'new-fangled' concept is already in place.
I like gnomes.
Deider
Uber Posting Whor3

Timezone: GMT -8

PostAuthor: Jazz » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:15 am

I wish Renedq would have made his Evil lowbie weekly group to battle my Good guys 8-)
Jazz
Team Member; Retired with Honors

Timezone: GMT +1/+2

PostAuthor: Sears610 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:52 am

Voted no, I have invested three years into my character and been apart of many different plots that have changed avlis. I have loved every minute of it. From sitting at the rock complaining about the rain and those silly elysians, to killing an evil pyrite dragon that destroyed my Lords keep. Starting all over and giving up everything I have earned is just something I am not willing to do. The cost of giving up my epic pc to start over is just too high even for weekly DM attention. Also, Dieder made a great point about what happens if rl hits and dm's or players have to leave for a while. I know I have had to leave avlis for a time due to rl. The cost is too high for me.
Sears610
Apprentice Scholar

Timezone: +3

PostAuthor: Disciple Of Ra » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:22 am

I don't understand what the reasoning behind trading in an Epic PC to play a 1st lvl character once a week have to do with each other?

If the pnp is moderated and sounds to be pretty self contained why not just start with lowbie characters for your weekly idea and let the players play their mains when your pnp isn't continuing.

Unless the idea is just to clear avlis of its epics I don't really see where the trade in ties into the PNP format.

Now if it was daily attention...

Disciple Of Ra
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: Tigg » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:53 am

Well, with this and the remort thing there's clearly a wish to see more low-level characters around which is understandable. It's just so hard to give those characters you've been through so much with though, you know? The idea with this thread is one that some people might be interested in, if so then that is great!

If I could suggest another way to help get more low-levels, it would be to run more of the weekly lowbie things like Chas'nor is doing. I think for some people they're just not willing to 'risk it all', it can be a gradual process before you really get into a different character, and such ongoing events encourage people at least to make one and then see if the new character grows on them or not.
Ua mau ke ea o ka ina i ka pono.
Tigg
Elder Sage

PostAuthor: bolo » Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:23 am

Well coming from someone who's started over with a lowbie character I'd love to see other low levels about.
It sucks to end up "soloing" most of the time because the few people who are friendly to my character are afraid of getting in trouble for towing a lvl 3 ( lvl 3 for almost a damn month now) character about.

If my main had ever made "epic" ( Sunder came up short a couple levels, so just like the remort thing, I feel like I've missed out because I never powergamed him to epic) I'd consider it.But at the same time, all these "special" little groups, IMO, splinter Avlis even more, and make it feel more like a game and less like a world to me.

bolo

Timezone: est -5 gmt

PostAuthor: DeadEyeDave » Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:26 am

choraldances wrote:
Chas'nor wrote:choraldances,
This is almost exactly what I plan to do, but without the epic PC turn in.

I know that :) I think that's great. So go for it, and I will serve another group who wish to go with this idea.

can we volunteer people for your plan? i know a few epics i'd like to get rid of ;)

jk guys
Bad poetry?
Oh noetry!
DeadEyeDave
Scholar

PostAuthor: Adm.Venge » Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:32 am

DeadEyeDave wrote:can we volunteer people for your plan? i know a few epics i'd like to get rid of ;)

jk guys

*goes to shake down Perigrin for more lunch money*

I really DO hate chasing you down for your daily beating. Ask ace4lyyfe what happens when you make the half-ogre "grumpy".
Player; Retired
Grunt wrote:The fact that you are not even a barbarian disqualifies you from topics of Furiousness. Poseur!
Adm.Venge
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: choraldances » Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:36 am

I would like to reiterate one thing. This is not meant for everyone, as it has been mentioned. It is interesting, at least for me though, to see the result. I won't go anymore than that, but again, it is not meant for everyone.
"We're not seeing [things] as they are, we are seeing as we are." Talmut

"Science, in its arrogance, may reject faith, yet it should use spirituality to illumine its way. Faith, in its ignorance, may reject science, yet it should use science to inform its way." W.D.
choraldances
Uber Posting Whor3

PostAuthor: Marleh » Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:45 am

I have to agree with Deider, Sears, Nob, Tigg and Bolo.

There seem to be so many guilds with established PC's who are just stagnating because their DM sponsor had to leave for whatever reason. These guilds continue to function, but the added excitement and impetus to log in that a plot brings is missing.

Second, Bolo is right on the money here with what Nob had mentioned before:
But at the same time, all these "special" little groups, IMO, splinter Avlis even more, and make it feel more like a game and less like a world to me.

It's been advertised that this group would have world impact, but why? When these specific characters only log in once a week and have no real contact with the existing guilds, orders, mage orders, LEOs, what have you, it seems extremely contrived, and more than a little disheartening to players with that lvl 15 or lvl 24 character who have worked hard to prove themselves one way or another, but can't be 'in' on this special group.
Image Dame Moira Celyn (Windspar) Callindraes - Just a little bit...
Marleh
QA Resource

PostAuthor: DeadEyeDave » Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:59 am

Marleh wrote:...and more than a little disheartening to players with that lvl 15 or lvl 24 character who have worked hard to prove themselves one way or another, but can't be 'in' on this special group.

sounds like a few DM's are going to have these groups to me(chas, and choraldances)...i'm sure just about everyone who wants to get into a little group will have the chance....and you can always start your own little groups that will impact Avlis forever...go brudders go...i'd like to be in a few little groups and the oober avlis altering character as well :)

but avlis does have groups of high levelers that are pretty reclusive, no? (i might be wrong, i'm not up there with the big fellas) isn't there a pwn the noobs guild or something?

(braces for a Marleh toungelashing)
Bad poetry?
Oh noetry!
DeadEyeDave
Scholar

PostAuthor: tygermoon » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:07 am

Marleh wrote:I have to agree with Deider, Sears, Nob, Tigg and Bolo.

There seem to be so many guilds with established PC's who are just stagnating because their DM sponsor had to leave for whatever reason. These guilds continue to function, but the added excitement and impetus to log in that a plot brings is missing.

+1

And guilds are part and parcel of the whole Avlis community, too. It's part of what makes Avlis, Avlis. It would be nice to see some of these guilds get active sponsors again. I think that would help the Avlis community, IMHO.
tygermoon
Contributor

PostAuthor: Belasco » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:04 am

Absolutely not for a lot of reasons already stated to one degree or another.

I don't think I be more a "part of Avlis" than my epic already is even though there's every chance most of what she's done will never be known to the general populace *shrugs*.

Also, as for more low levels around...I have 2 that I play regularly :D and I've gotten a few friends to start playing over the last few weeks. I also know several other people who have either opted for the Remort or have rolled new PCs they're really sticking with while still keeping a hand in with their epics after having set down being various kinds of leaders in the world.

As a DM I see a lot of low level PCs around, problem is 90% of the time they're so busy running past groups of people no one ever gets to talk to them :?

Good luck with this, even though I don't really understand why you're doing it.

Oh and as a last bit I agree with:

But at the same time, all these "special" little groups, IMO, splinter Avlis even more, and make it feel more like a game and less like a world to me.

too.

-B32
R. H. wrote:Why do some people blame everyone but themselves for their problems, if they don't get that they are the problem, than there is no solution!
Belasco
Silver Contributor

Timezone: GMT -5

PostAuthor: yorlik » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:26 am

If it would really work: Yes
Because I don't trust it would work: No.

Reason: Being screwed too often.
But I don’t want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
yorlik
Bronze Contributor

Timezone: CE(S)T

PostAuthor: Sathsarrion » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:38 am

DanishPastry wrote:Whatever happened to Orl's group?

Timezone issues
Sathsarrion
Sage

Timezone: GMT+10

PostAuthor: Pathos Street » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:52 pm

I'd second (or third or fourth or whatever) that more DM involvement with existing guilds would be a better use of resources.
Pathos Street
King of Avlis Charades

Timezone: CDT (GMT -5)

PostAuthor: PlasmaJohn » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:06 pm

Pathos Street wrote:I'd second (or third or fourth or whatever) that more DM involvement with existing guilds would be a better use of resources.

motionCount++
Calvin: This is so cool!
Hobbes: This is so stupid.
PlasmaJohn
Team Member; Retired with Honors; Has a Tom Selleck Stache

Timezone: US/Eastern

PostAuthor: robocod » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:16 pm

I'd love to join a regular "gaming time" type of session a la PnP, but as father or two and busy at work and home, I just can not make that sort of scheduled commitment. I plays when I can, and that's it.

I haven't got an epic PC to turn in anyway.
robocod
Apprentice Scholar

PostAuthor: Fifty » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:28 pm

I voted yes, but more because I am planning to kill of my Epic PC anyway than anything.
Hovering around the edges of polite society
Fifty
Uber Posting Whor3

PostAuthor: TripleAught » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:59 pm

Say it with me everyone:
NWN is not PnP

I voted no.
The Texas Meet 2007 wrote:Come over here and take off your pants.

The Texas Meet 2010 wrote:I can't unhear that.
TripleAught
World Leader
World Leader

PostAuthor: Jonezie » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:06 pm

I don't have an Epic PC. I'd trade in Fifty's, though.

*says it with TA*
Jonezie

PostAuthor: Micah » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:14 pm

I would trade in Fifty's PC also.

I think these sorts of storylines, in small bits, are great. For people who have little time to play but can schedule something 1/week... this is awesome. But we do need more support for our existing guilds, and I would prefer to see that.

No on the whole.
Micah
Lead Producer

Timezone: GMT-5
DM Avatar: Pelar

PostAuthor: Cerridwyn » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:41 pm

adding my 2c.

NO. for most of the same reasons everyone else has already stated.

what i really do not understand is the push for getting rid of epics. the 'epics' that my characters have interacted with have had huge influences in their 'lives'. while it's really fun to run around with other n00bs and lowbies--you really can't learn much IG without spending time at least listening to the really epic characters.

my main is an 'almost' epic. not really that far to go. so i play her less. mostly she's involved in her guilds and doing some crafting, research and teaching. i have one lowbie (and now) one mid-lvl character. and that is my way of dealing with that!

DM sponsorship of the poor guilds who are lacking would be a much better use of resources, IMO. there are already tons of established guilds...and a few who are getting that way. why not take care of them first?
Cerridwyn
Gold Contributor

Timezone: GMT-5

PostAuthor: Fifty » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:43 pm

Micah Ormane wrote:I would trade in Fifty's PC also.

I think these sorts of storylines, in small bits, are great. For people who have little time to play but can schedule something 1/week... this is awesome. But we do need more support for our existing guilds, and I would prefer to see that.

No on the whole.

Go ahead :)
Hovering around the edges of polite society
Fifty
Uber Posting Whor3

PostAuthor: loki70 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:52 pm

I'm hearing a lot of "better use of resources" stuff. The point is that the DM would be focused on a group of individuals for a short time every week, plus some behind the scenes planning. That's not to say that the DM in question couldn't sponsor one or two guilds, do a little legwork for the team, pwn people at EG with sereg every now and then, etc. Most DMs hang around certain players anyway, because they like their style. They interact with characters that are familiar a lot of times based on location, timezones, and how those characters interact with situations. This wouldn't be any different, just a bit more scheduling involved.

As for being Epic and those of us that are only epic, I have to say that a lot of the flavor goes out of the character after a while. I've been playing my main for 3 years, never had any intention of getting to 30th, have been involved in several really big plots, and countless little ones, and have been a guild leader for about a year now. And I don't play him much. Really very little, to be honest. Most of my game time with him is used in guild meetings, teaching initiates, getting and answering tells, and chatting at EG or the Rock. The last little plot he was in was a really really long time ago, because the non-epics deservedly get more DM attention. That's why so many are remorting, or considering remorting their characters. We just get a bit burned out on being an administrator.
loki70
QA Resource

Timezone: gmt -7

PreviousNext

Return to Avlis Polls