Visimontium - (0)
Underdark - (0)
Mikona - (0)
Total players: 7
Gallery

Links Menu

Would you trade in your Epic PC for a chance to start over w

Polls for Avlis homepage.

Would you trade in your Epic PC for a chance to start over with constant DM attention?

Yes
32%
No
68%

Total votes : 102

Would you trade in your Epic PC for a chance to start over w

PostAuthor: Silk » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:41 am

I would like to clarify that this is just a poll.

This poll is in now way, shape, or form any indication of anything other than players talking about a topic.

And, quite honestly, this topic hasn't even been talked about by the team.

So please take it in this conext.

Thank you,
Last edited by Silk on Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Silk

Member of the MadK@t lover's group.
Silk
Co-Founder

PostAuthor: Jazz » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:43 am

Maybe if you were to state the chance in a percentage I would have to think about not pressing NO.
Jazz
Team Member; Retired with Honors

Timezone: GMT +1/+2

PostAuthor: choraldances » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:44 am

The explanation of this question:

Many of us I know are part of a PNP group. Many of us I know are a fan of Avlis. Many of us I know can't wait until Orl's source book comes out so we can start a little PNP group in our own little crib.

What if...

There was a sort of a PNP group in THIS Avlis in which the world is dynamic because of the everyday PC action that happens in here where a weekly session is played in this setting? Like a PnP group?

Would you trade your Epic PC for a chance to be in this group? That is the question...
"We're not seeing [things] as they are, we are seeing as we are." Talmut

"Science, in its arrogance, may reject faith, yet it should use spirituality to illumine its way. Faith, in its ignorance, may reject science, yet it should use science to inform its way." W.D.
choraldances
Uber Posting Whor3

PostAuthor: choraldances » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:45 am

Jazz wrote:Maybe if you were to state the chance in a percentage I would have to think about not pressing NO.

If you trade it in, you will get it ;)

If accepted... Or else you don't lose your PC.

"Science, in its arrogance, may reject faith, yet it should use spirituality to illumine its way. Faith, in its ignorance, may reject science, yet it should use science to inform its way." W.D.
choraldances
Uber Posting Whor3

PostAuthor: Katroine » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:46 am

I voted No.

I have enjoyed most of the DM plots I have been a part of, many of which shaped my SupraEpix to what she is now. I will play her until I leave Avlis, even after she hits 40.

I play alts so it is not so boring being super high level. They haven't had as much DM attention but too much of a good thing can be a scary prospect, as well.
"However friendly they may seem, they must be corrupt to the core, and I must never forget that."
Katroine

Timezone: Mountain

PostAuthor: Jazz » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:48 am

Then I would still say no, because I am too attached to my PC. Would you have asked me when I were playing my first PC, I would have said yes.
Jazz

Timezone: GMT +1/+2

PostAuthor: KaiRal Windspar » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:50 am

I said yes, but only because I am heavily considering a remort anyway.
~ Yantri
The most futile thing in this world is any attempt, perhaps, at exact definition of character. All individuals are a bundle of contradictions -- none more so than the most capable. -Theodore Dreiser, author (1871-1945)

PostAuthor: choraldances » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:53 am

Someone asked me this question over chat, would this group be "part" of Avlis? In a sense, yes. It would be in that their actions will be part of Avlissian everyday life. Their actions will have real live reprecussions. However, it will be moderated as a PNP session is moderated by the DM.

choraldances
Uber Posting Whor3

PostAuthor: szabot » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:54 am

choraldances wrote:The explanation of this question:

Many of us I know are part of a PNP group. Many of us I know are a fan of Avlis. Many of us I know can't wait until Orl's source book comes out so we can start a little PNP group in our own little crib.

What if...

There was a sort of a PNP group in THIS Avlis in which the world is dynamic because of the everyday PC action that happens in here where a weekly session is played in this setting? Like a PnP group?

Would you trade your Epic PC for a chance to be in this group? That is the question...

Do you mean something like this: http://www.blackdagger.com/viewtopic.php?t=98168

:?:
szabot

Timezone: Central (GMT-5)
DM Avatar: Wilsash

PostAuthor: choraldances » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:58 am

I'm wondering how that turned out. It is similar, but I am seeing some differences already. Like the ability to influence the world, and the growth of these PC's?

Questions I have in regards to that because I wasn't around.

1) What did these PC's do and achieve while it was running?
2) How many levels did they gain? How powerful did they get?
3) How did they impact the world?

choraldances
Uber Posting Whor3

PostAuthor: szabot » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:59 am

Sign-up for Chas'nor's group just ended this Monday, I think. :P
szabot

Timezone: Central (GMT-5)
DM Avatar: Wilsash

PostAuthor: choraldances » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:01 am

szabot wrote:Sign-up for Chas'nor's group just ended this Monday, I think. :P

I understand that Jazz also ran one, same questions for that group.

choraldances
Uber Posting Whor3

PostAuthor: Katroine » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:04 am

choraldances wrote:I'm wondering how that turned out. It is similar, but I am seeing some differences already. Like the ability to influence the world, and the growth of these PC's?

Questions I have in regards to that because I wasn't around.

1) What did these PC's do and achieve while it was running?
2) How many levels did they gain? How powerful did they get?
3) How did they impact the world?

As an outsider watching Jazz's group of PCs...

1. They had several missions, various lengths of meeting times, all related and tied to the prior mission/event.

2. I don't think many of them went more than 1-4 levels during the events, heavy on roleplay and team play.

3. From the bits I know, they were involved with one of the large Avlis plots that has sort of quieted down so the impact is not likely known and may not be, as a few of the PCs in that group have been scarce.

Another group was Nob's group, awhile before. It had more PCs and I think they are still around.
"However friendly they may seem, they must be corrupt to the core, and I must never forget that."
Katroine

Timezone: Mountain

PostAuthor: DanishPastry » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:05 am

Whatever happened to Orl's group?

Did they win Ablis or what?
WrathOG777: This is a roleplaying game. There is no such thing as winning or losing. Only playing.
DanishPastry

Timezone: GMT+1

PostAuthor: choraldances » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:10 am

DanishPastry wrote:Whatever happened to Orl's group?

Did they win Ablis or what?

I don't know about that group.

I have heard some replies in regards to the last question over chat as well.

Main differences:

1) This will not be related to any plot that is going on currently. It will be a plot that they do.

2) Interactions between PC's of this group and PC's of other group WILL BE moderated. More details to come in that area, however, you can count on that ;)

3) The goal of this group is not to assimilate into the Avlis world as we know it. The goal of this group is solely like a PNP group that we know. Imagine that the Avlis world that we know is the campaign setting, the players are the group that will be played in this setting. More details to come. ;)

choraldances
Uber Posting Whor3

PostAuthor: Tigg » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:46 am

So, just to clarify, the question is more, would you trade in your Epic PC for a once-a-week session from a particular DM, right?
Ua mau ke ea o ka ina i ka pono.
Tigg
Elder Sage

PostAuthor: choraldances » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:53 am

Tigg wrote:So, just to clarify, the question is more, would you trade in your Epic PC for a once-a-week session from a particular DM, right?

Once a week, online session, yes. But I would like to add that these once a week session is just the frosting on the cake. The main cake is the impact of this group will start on day one. Of course, if you're low level, your impact may not be killing a god, but the impact will be noticed.

choraldances
Uber Posting Whor3

PostAuthor: Cougar » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:56 am

No, but I only have two chars that barely qualify as Epic. I would start a new alt for a chance to be more apart of something new though.
I will survive - drunken style
Member of the MadKat / Ghostie / Plethora / Olaf fan club
Cougar
Sage

Timezone: CST

PostAuthor: loki70 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:56 am

Oddly intriguing. I think I would give it a go, just cause my normal PnP flubs on me a lot...
loki70
QA Resource

Timezone: gmt -7

PostAuthor: Vergilius » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:11 am

Not that I'm playing anymore but this is exactly the kind of thing that I would jump on. I am extremely intrigued with any idea that tries to blend the feel of PNP gaming with the online environment.

Vergilius

Timezone: US Central

PostAuthor: TiVO25 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:13 am

What if my main (also my highest level) is only level 7, could I trade him in?
TiVO25
Sage

PostAuthor: Nob » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:13 am

Voted no.

Mostly because a self-contained issue seems to me in general to go against the whole purpose of a PW in the first place. The general idea is to interact with as many people as possible, in a general living campaign environment rather than just a weekly PnP sessions, so I guess I'd kind of find it a little self-defeating to do it any other way.
"Andrinor grant me the patience not to kill those who screw things up through stupidity, the power to incinerate those who screw things up on purpose, and the wisdom to distinguish between one and the other." -The War Mage's Serenity Prayer
Nob
Elder DM
Elder DM

DM Avatar: Dead but still a Dreamer

PostAuthor: Chasnor » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:14 am

choraldances,
This is almost exactly what I plan to do, but without the epic PC turn in.
Chasnor
Knight of the Ol' Wiki

Timezone: US EST

PostAuthor: Deider » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:24 am

No. It's not worth trading in a epic PC for. Because eventually RL is going to come up for either the DM, most of the players, or both. Meaning the DM will shank, leaving the players with a lowbie PC and just as much DM attention as everyone else on Avlis, minus an epic PC. Look at how many plots are stalled in Avlis because some poor DM got hit by the RL virus.

Or the party will end up with like two people in it, which is not as fun as it may sound.

I don't think it's a terrible idea, I just think the price of an epic PC is way too high. Indeed, I know of another PW which has already implemented something similar (without the "lose your years' worth of effort PC you love" concept). :wink:

(#1 rated NWN2 PW on the Vault! I'm rich, beeyatch!!)
I like gnomes.
Deider
Uber Posting Whor3

Timezone: GMT -8

PostAuthor: choraldances » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:54 am

What Deider said is my number one question too. However, in order for this to work, the DM has to be committed to it. And I can only say that I will use my previous history as a DM to counter that ;) I dropped out for 2 years, with exception to a few loose ends that were very minor, I finished my major plots ;)

As far as players are concern, if they drop out, then what does a PNP DM do? They incorporate new playesr into the group and then continue ;) I've belonged to PnP campaigns that started with a set of players and ended up with another set.

I don't think it's a terrible idea, I just think the price of an epic PC is way too high.

That price is ... subject to the people who is trading it. It is intrigued enough for some people to say yes :) Which is all I'm looking for.

Indeed, I know of another PW which has already implemented something similar (without the "lose your years' worth of effort PC you love" concept). :wink:

(#1 rated NWN2 PW on the Vault! I'm rich, beeyatch!!)

I saw that! and if I had NWN2, i'd check it out ;)

Chas'nor wrote:choraldances,
This is almost exactly what I plan to do, but without the epic PC turn in.

I know that :) I think that's great. So go for it, and I will serve another group who wish to go with this idea.

choraldances
Uber Posting Whor3

Next

Return to Avlis Polls