Game Recommends

umm.. huh? (Stale threads removed after 30 days)

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Dungeon Masters

Sarmanos
Team Member; Retired with Honors
Timezone: GMT -5

Game Recommends

Post by Sarmanos » Sat May 11, 2019 4:49 pm

One may not always be able to survive off of NWN alone for gaming needs so here's some personal recommends from me in no particular order of quality.

I really like...the more abstract-based plots like the spirit-kin Hel'byssia plot or the dreamscape stuff:

Planescape Torment: Enhanced Edition: If you somehow have slept on this one or haven't heard of it, it's a DnD 2nd edition rules with some heavier than usual changes to gameplay that takes place in the planescape setting, mostly in Sigil. I personally recommend setting the difficulty slider to as easy as possible for this one as while it has one of the strongest narratives and writing of the Infinity Engine games, the combat difficulty can tend to swing wildly from being braindead easy to you getting stomped with not much in between.

Persona and Shin Megami Tensei series: These can be severe time investments if you get into them. You'll need a PS3 and/or PS4 for the Personas and a 3DS for Shin Megami Tensei. Typically you're dealing with different types of stories depending on the game, with the SMT games being far darker in tone. They both involve recruiting or creating demons, mythological figures, etc to help you in battle.

Basic non-combat underlying gameplay in Persona is managing social connections with individuals loosely based on the tarot major arcanas(Persona 3 uses the tarot aspect the most if that matters) with strict time management and deadlines as a high school student. Shin Megami Tensei lacks the time aspect and instead has different endings and paths on a Law/Neutral/Chaos(sorry, no Good or Evil here) axis based on your decision (you also aren't a high school student if that matters).

I'm honestly underselling it because it is hard to accurately describe these. May want to avoid if you are sensitive to certain depictions of religious and mythological figures as these games draw from EVERYTHING and are unapologetic about it.

Alundra: If you like Legend of Zelda and have a PS3 (have to buy this one digitally on the PSN store), this one is for you. You're a silent protagonist with the ability to enter people's dreams in a land beset by a vengeful god bent on maintaining faith in himself by besetting people with deadly nightmares. It can be a challenging game in the puzzles and the platforming is a bit janky at times, but I still recommend it.

I want...a good more conventional RPG:

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen: A third-person RPG with small parts of Monster Hunter added in, it's a sleeper hit that's available on about every console and PC. It also has, and I say this with confidence, the best depiction of a major dragon fight I've ever seen in any game anywhere to the point that I think they just made the rest of the game as an excuse to just have this dragon fight capstone. I recommend a guide though because the sidequests are super easy to miss and it is a bit janky about doing main story progression lockouts with them.

All the Dark Souls games/Bloodborne: If you like difficult games, then you want Dark Souls or Bloodborne. Dark Souls is available on about all platforms but Bloodborne is PS4 exclusive. If it is your first time to the games be ready to die a lot as you acclimate to them. Don't worry though, this is normal.

The Ys series: Most of these are on PC and I would describe them like "Legend of Zelda with leveling up, but they threw out almost all the puzzle bits and went full action instead." Do some research on the gameplay of them ahead of time because the systems change up entirely every three games or so.

Dragon Quest series: Platform availability varies depending on which you want. This series has been going on since the 1980s. It is a traditional turn-based RPG very firmly rooted in ye olde fantasy settings with some anime bent to it in the stories (this only really becomes apparent in the later games). Do some research and pick the one that you think fits what you want most. There are 10 games (excluding a Japan-only MMO) and spinoffs into different genres.

How about some other games Sarm? Maybe I don't want to just play RPGs or full medieval fantasy games!

Monster Hunter: World On Xbox One, PS4, and PC the premise here is simple. You hunt giant monsters, get their parts, make better gear so you can hunt even stronger giant monsters and repeat. There is a story but it is mostly just an excuse for you to hunt monsters. It is kind of a fantasy setting, but the main focus is around action-based combat so it doesn't matter too much.

Devil May Cry 5: A recent release. If you like pure action games you'll want to check this one out. It also includes a story summary of the first four games built into it in case you missed out on them initially or don't have time to play the other games leading up to this. You'll love this one if you like goofy over the top styling on your opponents.

Catherine (Catherine Classic on PC): There's a remaster with extra content coming out soon but you can play the current version now. This is by the guys who made Persona and Shin Megami Tensei, so there's a bit of DNA from there in this game. It is a block-based puzzle game with a story revolving around the nature of romantic relationships and commitment.

Secret of Monkey Island series: A very old series of point and click adventure games with pirates and comedy from Lucas Arts. I won't judge you if you use a guide for the puzzles because there are some weird ones in these that make no logical sense. I feel obligated to rep them though so more people can try them since they do have great writing.

That's just a quick list from me. It by no means sums up my full tastes in games, so don't read too much into that aspect.
Vetinari: I have noted before that you have a definite anti-authoritarian streak, Commander.
Vimes: Sir?
Vetinari: You seem to have retained this even though you are Authority.
Vetinari: That's practically Zen.

Plethora
Head DM
Head DM
Timezone: +10
DM Avatar: Verossa

Re: Game Recommends

Post by Plethora » Sun May 12, 2019 8:54 am

I love the Monkey Island games, on whatever platforms.

I also love the old Myst Series.. these are just hard core silence looking for clue to go ahead, I also have the new one on my Oculus (VR).. Is call Obduction
its bad ass

Also on Oculus (VR), I love Mages Tale. It a fun adventure game, mixing spells and battling goblins.
I also love Serious Sam for VR.. you need to duel wield to kill everything.. DIE ALIEN SCUM !!!
wave after wave of totally kill zones. Super fun, and better then going to the gym!

Umm.. as far as other mmorpg goes, I really love Guild Wars 2, wvw is superb, and the story is excellent. Also.. outfit.. seriously, this game banks!

For playing house groups Im very into Civilization 6. Got a fantasist Game of Thrones mod for it, and me and my friends play this to death
You can stand under my umbrella..

Sathsarrion
Sage
Timezone: GMT+10

Post by Sathsarrion » Sun May 12, 2019 11:20 am

Plethora wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 8:54 am
Umm.. as far as other mmorpg goes, I really love Guild Wars 2, wvw is superb, and the story is excellent. Also.. outfit.. seriously, this game banks!
Seriously. If you haven't tried it, go and take a look. The core game without the expansions is free.

Sarmanos
Timezone: GMT -5

Post by Sarmanos » Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:36 am

Since MMOs were mentioned, my other online RPG is Final Fantasy 14. If you ever happen to end up playing or do play and land in the Primal data center or more specifically the Ultros server let me know.
Vetinari: I have noted before that you have a definite anti-authoritarian streak, Commander.
Vetinari: You seem to have retained this even though you are Authority.
Vetinari: That's practically Zen.

Sephira
Assist DM
Assist DM
Timezone: US Eastern, -5/-4
DM Avatar: Yeraiah

Post by Sephira » Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:43 am

I've kind of checked out of MMOs, but I tell you what, if I were to ever pick one up again it would definitely be FF14.
All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality.

LadyAwesome
Major DM, RPotY 2014
Major DM, RPotY 2014
Timezone: GMT +13
DM Avatar: Qinoxitl

Post by LadyAwesome » Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:46 am

My most favourite game to play at the moment is For the King (it has issues with crashing but is mostly fun) and Overcooked. I play them with my partner and kiddo a lot.
Pia - The Miette Hartley Ribbon for Exceptional Disregard of Allies 2014

Xeo
Master Sage
Timezone: UK

Post by Xeo » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:08 am

Total War Games...

Warhammer was epic and this Three Kingdoms release has been exceptional. The campaign mechanics are awesome. Great historical title...
Silk wrote: I don't know, I think flinging poo in a catapult could be pretty damn effective.
I know if I was on the battlefield and I got hit by a pile of shit... I'd probably go home.

Trigger
Major DM
Major DM
DM Avatar: Harpinger

Post by Trigger » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:40 am

Warframe - Totally awesome space-ninja shenanigans, grindy as all hell, but totally free and fun for a 5 minute (or 5 hours) blast of jumping around like a madman. Also, completely free, but more free for ninjas.

Tom Clancy's The Division 2 - Really excellent game, third person shooter, decent amount of tactics-lite gameplay, a fairly gripping storyline, which I would 100% recommend playing through solo before you start playing with others, otherwise it's easy to get lost in all the different missions you can do which do not have anything to do with the main story. Most definitely not free.

Rocket League - Football (soccer for you heathens out there) in cars, also, Basketball in cars and Ice-Hockey in cars, plus some kind of weird Tron-like experience where you score goals by smashing the ball through the floor and let's not forget Rumble, awesome mix of Mario-Kart and Rocket League, get a random power-up, use it in the most imaginative way you can to score goals! Incredible number of customisation options for your car, really a stupid, stupid amount of customisation. Not free, but not pay-to-win either... more like pay-to-look-awesome.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 - RPG set in an interesting and pretty expansive world, haven't gotten very far past the first main area, but already absolutely loving it, companion characters are well-voiced and written and the narrator (Dungeon Master) really sets this game apart for me. Has a wicked amount of tactical options, classes are free-form and turning your enemies into a chicken is always fun. Not free.

Korennya
CCC
CCC
Timezone: EST

Post by Korennya » Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:38 pm

Love Divinity: original sin 2. Played through the whole thing. It also has a multiplayer option to play through the campaign.

Lucidic
Knight of Useless Drivel

Post by Lucidic » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:22 pm

I'll add my vouches for Monster Hunter: World and Warframe. Both are outstanding co-op experiences. Play Monster Hunter if you want to be a badass because you worked smart and hard to overcome vastly stronger adversaries and play Warframe if you want to be badass because you're a space ninja and seriously it's going to take about 30 of them before you even start trying.

For gaming family couch co-op get yourself a Switch and try Guacamelee, Nine Parchments, Kirby Star Allies, Rayman Legends, Snipperclips, or New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe.

Hollow Knight is an amazing Metroidvania type game. Undertale is a great story heavily inspired by the golden age of SNES turn based RPGs with the neat twist of being able to "defeat" every single enemy by finding a way to settle things peacefully.

I'll always recommend Earthbound, too :)

HeroOfTime49
Lord of Blithering Idiots
Timezone: Pacific

Post by HeroOfTime49 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:01 pm

Sephira wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:43 am
I've kind of checked out of MMOs, but I tell you what, if I were to ever pick one up again it would definitely be FF14.
I beta tested FF14 and loved it! 10/10 would recommend. I can't imagine how it is now with all of the add ons.

I'm also here to rep the only Switch games Ive played so far.

Kirby Star Allies: Amazing successor to the series. Reminds me of playing Kirby Super Star on the SNES!

Super Mario Bros U Deluxe: Another great game with new awesome characters to help younger players to learn the mechanics of side scrolling platform games. I haven't looked into it but I have a theory that Nabbit is Bowser Jr.

Zelda: Breath of the Wild: *insert dissertation here*
Rhys'lryn Si'Vidicuss // Lokus Oradein
Siri'ana Zelledae // Berrigrin Doobduster

Korennya
CCC
CCC
Timezone: EST

Post by Korennya » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:05 pm

I really want to play breath of the wild, but ~$350 is too much for a game :cry:

Kandi_Nulein
Scholar
Timezone: GMT

Post by Kandi_Nulein » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:05 am

Just watched this and nearly wet myself...

Baldur's Gate 3
Member of The Plethora Fanclub!

Currently playing: Roxxy (Kandi's ward), Flutterbye, a half sylph psion with a doll named Norman and Mungo Buggins, a rotund Hin with a pie eating problem.

Calzier
CCC
CCC
Timezone: GMT/BST

Post by Calzier » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:15 am

Kandi_Nulein wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:05 am

Baldur's Gate 3
!!!!!!!!!!!!

bolo
Timezone: est -5 gmt

Post by bolo » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:54 am

Calzier wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:15 am
Kandi_Nulein wrote:

Baldur's Gate 3
!!!!!!!!!!!!
:shock: made by the creators of Original Sin 2 to boot! Larian is the new Bioware. Their stuff is so great!
Currently on Eastern Time - 5 GMT.
Player of :
Garyzen Shtupenpepper, Gnome Druid/Ranger of Pelar
Gloo'Ruk Bouldabringa , Half Ogre Barbarian/Bard and fan of all things scary.

Trigger
Major DM
Major DM
DM Avatar: Harpinger

Post by Trigger » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:09 am

Calzier wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:15 am
Kandi_Nulein wrote:

Baldur's Gate 3
!!!!!!!!!!!!
+1

EvilKneevil
Apprentice Scholar

Post by EvilKneevil » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:52 am

:shock: made by the creators of Original Sin 2 to boot! Larian is the new Bioware. Their stuff is so great!
absolutely!
Aggie always rocks my world but the image of her running around the Brigade HQ nekkid after too much drink during the Lefty Test will go with me to the grave!