Underdark - (0)
Total players: 4
Gallery
  • gilbert
    Album name: DM Events
    Uploaded by: Ronan
    Uploaded: Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:55 am

Links Menu

Remorts : Retire your Epic and Start Fresh!

Forum for customization options such as player housing, server reset requests, and getting help if you're stuck.

Moderators: Ronan, Dungeon Masters

Remorts : Retire your Epic and Start Fresh!

PostAuthor: spool32 » Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:28 am

The team offers what's known as a "remort" for players of Epic PCs in the world. If you've retired your main and just can't find the drive to come back, or if you've grown bored with the RP from your old PC and want to try something new, have a look at the incentives we're offering:

Option 1: New Heir PC

The current Epic will be permanently retired, with no possibility of playing it ever again. The player will create and submit a backstory to the Team for approval, and then be allowed to create the epic's Sole Heir. Players choosing this will have the following options available to them for inheritance:

A. Limited items transfered to Guilds, maximum of 5 items and 25% of gold up to 2,000,000 gp.

B. 1 of the following:
- Primary Property transfer Only. Merchant and secondary property is sold / auctioned off by the PC, and gold or items are added to their total. Alternatively, non-merchant property can become NPC housing.
- Trade Skill - New PC gains up to 3,000 xp in up to two crafting skills the original character had.
- Training - New PC gains 10,000 xp.

C. 2 of the following:
- Gold transfer to heir PC; 25% up to 2,000,000 gp, whichever is less.
- Item transfer to heir PC; Up to 3 items.
- Gold is reduced to max 500,000 gp and Epic becomes NPC

Option 2: Completely unrelated New PC

The current Epic will be permanently retired, with no possibility of playing it ever again. The player will create and submit a backstory to the Team for approval, and then create a completely new PC. Players choosing this will have the following options available to them:

A. Significant Item/Gold transfer to Guilds. No Item limit and up to 25% or 2 million gold, whichever is less.

B. No Property transfer to new PC. All property is auctioned off by the Epic, and added to their gold or item total, or becomes an NPC home.

C. 1 of the following:

- New PC starts with 25% or 2 million gold, whichever is less.
- New PC starts with 3 nice items, which can be Custom Items with background describing how they got it. Power of items is limited to the strength of the 3 best items not given away by the Epic PC.

D. 1 of the following:

- Retired Epic becomes NPC.
- New PC has appearance changed to model of a nonstandard custom race, subject to approval from the Team.
- New PC gains 10,000 xp.
- New PC gains 3,000 xp in a crafting skill of their choice.

Terms and Conditions:

1. No gear with Banned properties can be transfered to anyone.

2. No standard items that are undroppable may be transfered. Custom items that have been marked NoDrop can be.

3. For Option #1, no items can be sold, traded or given before or during the application process. Once the 5 item "give" list is approved, only those items are allowed to transfer hands.

4. No items given away to guilds must ever knowingly make it into the hands of the new PC. It is the responsibility of the PC and the entire Guild to ensure this. If this ever occurs the All of the Gold and items donated will be taken away from the guild. Just for example, each item donated can be kept on a post from the PC that donated it, with a warning of what Player may never use them. Alternatively, the item name can be changed to include the donating Player's name: "Flaming Short Sword (donated by Jazz)".

5. Property jointly owned will become the sole property of the remaining PCs. A heir character not choosing property transfer is ineligible to live in or own their old property.

6. All items will be deleted from containers after the Epic is retired, and before an heir is allowed in game.

7. Do not create the character before the remort has been approved.

WARNING:

If there is any evidence that a PC has traded, given, or sold items prior to or during submitting the application outside of the rules and knowledge of the team, the PC will be deleted and all property, items, gold will be turned over to the team. Obviously, don't do this. We will compare .bics over time during the approval process, so you won't get away with it.

Disclaimer:
At Any Time, for any reason, the team may deny individual requests. While this will (hopefully) be done rarely, it may occur, but it would be for the betterment of Avlis, as a whole. This new rule does not supersede any previous rules put into place.

Once you have completed filling out Option 1 or Two, Send a PM to the Dungeon Masters group

Heir Form
Original Character Full Name:
Original GSID:

New Character Name:
Character Concept:

A: Is there a guild items should go to?
B: Choose one.
C: Choose two.
------------------------------------------
If Heir is inheriting items, please list the items:

Unrelated Remort
Original Character Full Name:
Original GSID:

New Character Name:
Character Race:
Character Concept:

A: Is there a guild items should go to?
C: Choose one.
D: Choose one.
------------------------------------------
If creating new items, please list the original character's best items:

Please list what sort of new items you'd like: (please include new item types: e.g., full plate, clothing, longsword, etc.)

Last edited by spool32 on Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spool32
Team Member; Retired with Honors

Timezone: GMT -6

PostAuthor: spool32 » Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:20 pm

REMORT FAQ

Fifty wrote:One slight problem is that Kered carries about 5 million gold of guild money. He has had it earmarked for a guild hall since the word go, as documented on our forums. How would this be affected?

Also, a lot of the stuff in chests that are "his" are actually guild items.

We'll work something out. Our goal isn't to screw the guild over because they lack player housing... several guilds have a single PC who is carrying much of the Guild's wealth. We're not thinking of this like an item or goldsink... we just want to offer players an incentive to return to the world and start fresh with a new and interesting character concept, shake up the old guard a bit, and reduce the epic population some. It's something to maybe make Avlis new and interesting, or draw old players back to the world - not an excuse to suck gold nd gear from the economy.
KinX wrote:is this limited time only?

Nope.
Vett Scales 7 wrote:Is this a one shot deal per epic pc or if in a year and gaining 20 levels (or 30 as seems a small trend) and the player gets bored again, do all the new items and gold get retransferred again to another pc that they submit for approval?

We are not going to let players remort then grind away to epic and remort again.
Katroine wrote:Let me see if I got this...
I retire Grace, she becomes an NPC. I roll up cousin of the Dane family, she gets to have Grace's house, 2 million gold and 3 items? Is that right or is it one of the three?
Oh and saying they are NPCs, does that mean they all get to be in game as an NPC or just not playable anymore?
I always thought of NPCification as a huge reward.

That's correct. A, B, and 2 choices from C.
Regarding NPCs, we're offering you the opportunity to write their conversation, then NPCify the epic and work with the Team on where it will be placed as a static spawn.
loki70 wrote:Question: If you do make them NPC, can they then be guild NPCs? Like mine is a leader of a guild. If I go and retire him, would he be able to haunt and even defend the Guild Hall, or would he just be a pallet NPC that DMs can pull out to whip PCs with?

Neat idea. At first glance, I'd say "probably". We'll handle it case-by-case.

loki70 wrote:do heirloom items include no-drop plot? Three items of my epic, only one of them overly powerful, are custom from DM awards for RP and end of plots. What's the limitation for the items is what I mean to say. Are holy symbols included, for instance? Or the shard items? Or would these go away?

Custom nodrop DM items would be available to be passed down, yes. Palette items that were marked plot/nodrop in Orleron's offer a while ago would not be. Holy Symbols would be possible assuming the new PC is of the same faith. Shard items will not.
Daecon wrote:Perhaps an obvious question but just to be sure: is "epic" defined by overall character being level 21 and over, or does it require you to have 21+ levels in a single class?

At least 21 levels altogether, and other conditions as defined by the Team.
Fifty wrote:The answer is predictable, but to clarify...

Option 2 (unrelated PC), part 2, sub-option II:

would be the strength of the 3 best items of the Epic character, excluding nondrop standard items?

We can't always give out items now that compare the the plot/nodrop marked standard items. We'll get as close as we can to parity within the current rules, but new custom items will likely not be as nice as a 20/- resistance belt or a Golden Circlet.

- Further clarification: We'll consider the best items the Epic doesn't give away, period. The new custom items can't retain the same properties but if the epic has a +5 stat cloak we'll aim for something relatively comparable in a mix of other properties, or something. We'll work with the player on this, case-by-case.

Gorgon wrote:1. Do npcs [NPC'd epic characters -spool32]retain their levels and main equipment (no drop obviously), or are they just CR 1/8?

2. By merchants, do you mean the market ones, or does a primary property that has merchants also have to be sold/auctioned?

1. They will in general become NPCs at their current level and stats, possessing all the items they didn't give away. There's some question about NPC placement in a player or guild house vs. the PH rulez, and we'll address that case-by-case.

2. Good question. My first instinct is that the public market PCs are what we're referring to, but that merchants attached to a primary PH would have to be immediately purchased by the heir, and have the funds deducted from his total. This would mean the heir might need some gold as part of his inheritance... I'll ask Team opinions on this one.

Daecon wrote:If we do want to go ahead with the retiring an epic, do we just send all the details to the Avlis email address or is there a specific member of staff that can be PM'd/handles it?

PMs to me are fine, but emails to staff@avlis.org with REMORT in the subject are better. We have a Teamside forum (thanks webninjas!) to coordinate, and we'll be doing them on a first-come, first-served basis. No idea at this point what the turnaround time is... tindertwiggy was very forceful in his belief that we shouldn't overcomplicate this for ourselves, and we all agreed.

ShadowViper wrote:Can your "new" character become a member of the same guild as your old one or does the no two character in a guild rule for this option apply?

New PCs can join the same guild as the old one. Your epic will be permanently retired so you won't have two PCs in the same guild. The guild and the player must guarantee that items belonging to the epic NEVER find their way down to the new PC's inventory. We are not offering a complicated mule-ing operation here.

horatio wrote:
1. From option 1-B: f the primary property is jointly owned by a much fatter brother, can another property be transferred?

2. From option 1-C2: any 3 items? (aside from banned property or standard marked nodrop)

3. From option 2-A: does this not run the risk of having guilds flooded with high magic items?

4: From option 2-C1: will these be designed by the team or player designed and team approved? [Is the item value] based on palette value of said items?

(paraphrased from Croton, with some additional details from me)

1. We will consider a property owned by the Epic and only the Epic as the Primary property. Our largest determining factor in this is whether other PCs hold keys to the property in question. According to the PH rules, if you hold a key you jointly own.
2. From the Terms and Conditions section:
1. No gear with Banned properties can be transfered to anyone.
2. No standard items that are undroppable may be transfered. Custom items that have been marked NoDrop can be.

This is our only restriction. If you feel you might have found a loophole, please help us close it in the spirit of the offer rather than exploiting it... ;)
3. Well, since plot/nodrop items can't be given away under any circumstance, and the Epic could do this and roll himself a new plain-vanilla PC anyway (without remorting), it's really no different. We limit for the heir because we're offering instead the ability to RP knowing your own PC and having a pre-approved relationship of some sort with him or her. Our primary goal here (see Fifty's question above) is not to create another item/gold sink. It's a bonus, but the real goal is new and interesting RP opportunities, not a net reduction in items.
4. I think we'd certainly accept player-designed items with Team approval. We'll actually make and import the items though. We'll be judging the relative item power based on our discussion Teamside, not the toolset value of the item. A sword with 1 dmg from five elemental types and Burning Hands 1/day is worth more than a Greater Swordsman's Belt, but we all know which one is better.

Katroine wrote:Are custom DM made items only passable to new heir PCs?

i.e. Grace has "Grace's Item of Pure Pwnage. She retires. She passes Grace's item of Pure Pwnage to her heir and retires. Could said item also be passed to total stranger new PC and if so, how is this explained ICly?

Also can this be done without NPCifying and just killing the main epic PC?
I wouldn't want anyone to play my PC but me, so when I retire her, she will retire or die, but just curious if the same thing could be done without having her NPC'd for DM play.

Lastly, I can still give away items and housing to other players and retire my PC, right?

If you choose Option 2 (totally new PC) you may not pass down your Epic's items to the new PC at all. The custom items in question will be totally new ones tuned to the new PC's backstory.

NPCification is an option, not a requirement. If you don't choose that option, we aren't going to force it on you. Heck, you don't even have to kill her off, just have her retire from Epic asskicking and exit stage right, never to answer mail or get pwnt by nwal'maers again.

Lastly, yes of course. If you want to retire your Epic, give away everything not nailed down, and roll a new PC on your own... fire ahead. :)

megamegamega wrote:I don't quite understand this rule... if you plan to remort your character for an heir PC, you can't sell anything? X:|

(Answered by CPU, was nice so I copied it in full :) )

If you plan to stop playing this character and put in for a remort, then you cannot sell every great item your character owns to other players or bioware merchants, because this affects your gold values, which affects how much your heir will get. We also don't want the high level items to be swapped around to other players. One of the benefits to new players and to the Team is the reduction of unbalancing Uber-gear some long-time players have.

As long as you do not put in for a remort, you can do what you want. But we will be checking bic files and database entries if you do put in for one, and if we see a indications that you gave gear away or sold off everything except those items you planned to give to the heir, there will be (bad) consequences. We expect everyone participating in this process to approach it in complete good faith. Rules lawyers and bad faith charlatans will be shot.

Ensoleille wrote:Will players who put their PC's through remort and become NPC's or whatever have their PC removed from their server vault?

They will be removed from the vault once the new PC is rolled.

Shannen Di'rithia wrote:Can the heir be a child of the PC? And if so, will there be a wait-time for the new PC to be old enough to play?

We'll take it case-by-case but my sense is that it's unlikely we'll break the Pregnancy Rule for this. Probably not direct children, no... but we'll go case-by-case.

NWDuneAuron wrote:From option 2:

A. Significant Item/Gold transfer to Guilds. No Item limit and up to 25% or 2 million gold, whichever is less.

Is this compulsory?

B. No Property transfer to new PC. All property is auctioned off by the Epic, and added to their gold or item total, or becomes an NPC home.

How would this be handled? Does the character have to hold a public in game auction for this?

- New PC starts with 3 nice items. 2 of which can be Custom Items with background describing how they got it. Power of items is limited to the strength of the 3 best items not given away by the Epic PC.

If you have to sell/give away all your stuff, does this mean the 3 'nice items'...

1: No, it's not compulsory. You don't have to give away anything to anyone.

2: Yes, you'd have to auction off your own property if you wanted to get rid of it... if you don't want to do that, the Team will simply take it back to be either unhooked and removed or used for an NPC or something.

3: See 1.

-spool32

Keep the questions coming...ask here.

Custom Race Remort FAQ

- New PC has appearance changed to model of a nonstandard custom race, subject to approval from the Team

Q: While there are obviously no hard and fast rules for this otherwise you wouldn't say 'subject to approval', are there any hints or pointers as to what might and might not be allowed for this, beyond 'ask'

A: No Outsiders, no non-sentient beings, no female sereg, no undead, nothing with a gigantic model. After that, it'll be "ask us".

Please note that the rules for cheesing still apply to custom races.

Q: The race I picked has immunity to mind spells and immunity to critical hits; can I have these added to my gear?
A: You're purchasing any racial abilities like this with the gear you turn in; as these are banned properties this is probably a race we won't allow.

Q: The race I picked has glitterdust 1/day and light 3/day, can I have these added to my gear?
A: You're purchasing any racial abilities like this with the gear you turn in; this one looks far more possible!

Q: Can I have some examples of races you've approved in the past?
A: Brownie, Pixie, Half-Sylph, Sirine, and other fey races are popular for remort options. Minotaur is an example of a non-fey race we've approved.
Last edited by Ronan on Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:50 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Reason: adding in link to questions thread
Success will be lovely, but you will have to go out and get it! Failure will invite itself in.

Your donation makes this sig possible!
Monthly donations help you Lose Weight Fast!
DM 101
spool32
Team Member; Retired with Honors

Timezone: GMT -6

Re: Remorts : Retire your Epic and Start Fresh!

PostAuthor: Ronan » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:01 pm

Hi there folks,

When you go to fill out the forms above to submit a remort request, please try to fill in all the options. If your character doesn't have a guild or property, it's okay to just mention that as the response. This will quicken the process since if you miss a section, we may be PM'ing you to get the information anyway.

In the case of unrelated remort items, give us some sense of what sort of items would help the character if you can't think of specifics and we'll be glad to help you out with some suggestions. Be sure to include the items you're turning in so we have a sense of power scale!

Thanks,
R-Wilsash
Ronan
CCC, Elder DM , RPotY 2014
CCC,  Elder DM , RPotY 2014

DM Avatar: Wilsash

Return to The Avlis Project: DM Assist