Uploaded by: Ronan
    Uploaded: Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:38 pm

Links Menu

Oriental Adventures

General discussion about Avlis

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Dungeon Masters

Oriental Adventures

PostAuthor: Orleron » Tue Oct 30, 2001 3:16 pm

I bought the new 3rd edition of Oriental Adventures. It rocks! There's the same basic classes that there were in the 1st edition, although I must note that kensai is conspicuously absent.... hmm... gee... I wonder why??

They have some cool stuff in it, lots of prestige classes in addition to the oriental ones. There's a whole chapter on nothing but monk prestige classes.... pretty cool so far.

I was thinking that after we get most of the main continent fleshed out, we could make ourselves a slightly smaller, ok, much smaller, oriental continent.

It would actually fit into the story pretty well, I think. Look at the timeline post that I put up a while ago. There was once a time when the only thing that roamed Avlis were nature spirits.... but unfortunately, when the Negerai came in, he started gating in demons that eventually eliminated them.

Well, that was at least their *physical* forms that were eliminated. Their ethereal forms still persist today on one small continent.... and not only that, but there were actually a few that survived with their physical forms... very few. At one point in history, some humans from M'Chek migrated over to this island accidentally and encountered these spirits. Some of the humans interbred with the last remaining physical spirits, forming the races known as the hengeyokai and spirit folk in the handbook.
The humans there soon forgot their old gods, Mikon, and Ptah, and the others. Eventually they started worshiping the spirits, both physical and ethereal. Thus, clerics were now actually shamans, druids sort of became shugenja, and so on. The magic changed a bit to suit them, and their culture took on an eastern flair.

What do you think?
"Truth has no form."
--Idries Shah

World of Avlis Page

Avlis Project FAQ
Orleron
World Advisor, Co-founder

Timezone: GMT-5

PostAuthor: Vanoviel » Tue Oct 30, 2001 4:12 pm

That sounds pretty cool. Maybe you could work it into the current adventure. Something like we need an artifact from the ancient land or something like that.
Vanoviel
Apprentice Scholar

PostAuthor: ceardan » Tue Oct 30, 2001 5:18 pm

These things are good. A separate culture and ecosystem would have evolved. Include Samurai castes, Japanese/Chinese and possibly Aboriginal cultures, monsters, etc.
Gra ma chree ma cruiscan Slainte Gale mavoreen, gra ma chree ma cruiscan lan lan lan, oh gra ma chree ma cruiscan lan

ceardan
Apprentice Scholar

PostAuthor: Orleron » Tue Oct 30, 2001 5:46 pm

All that stuff is included in the book, Ray.

It's a good idea if we ever continue the Van/Ari/Andrinor/Orianna campaign after the first 15 adventures are done.
"Truth has no form."
--Idries Shah

World of Avlis Page

Avlis Project FAQ
Orleron

PostAuthor: sexertary » Fri Nov 23, 2001 4:42 am

hey josh, is this the campaign you sayed i could play?
sexertary
Apprentice Scholar

PostAuthor: Orleron » Fri Nov 23, 2001 5:30 am

yes, it is
"Truth has no form."
--Idries Shah

World of Avlis Page

Avlis Project FAQ
Orleron

PostAuthor: Orleron » Tue Mar 26, 2002 9:43 am

I have written the background information for the continent. I know know the whole context in which your next campaign will fit in.

All I need to do now is lay out the more exact structure of nations that will be on the land mass. After that I will map it, and from there I will determine your landing site for the next campaign. But I've got time, cuz you won't be getting there right on your first adventure anyways.... it will take at least 3 or 4.
Orleron

PostAuthor: Silk » Tue Mar 26, 2002 6:14 pm

I bought Oriental Adventures... nice book. I'm still reading it.
Silk

Member of the MadK@t lover's group.
Silk
Co-Founder

PostAuthor: Orleron » Tue Mar 26, 2002 9:22 pm

Remind me when I get the chance to send you what I've got so far on the oriental stuff... your char would know most of it.
"Truth has no form."
--Idries Shah

World of Avlis Page

Avlis Project FAQ
Orleron

PostAuthor: Vanoviel » Wed Mar 27, 2002 11:39 am

I'm about to get Oriental Adventures, but I want to get the Monster Manual but I couldn't find it on the wizards site. What's the name again? Em do you have it at the Wizards store?
Vanoviel
Apprentice Scholar

PostAuthor: Orleron » Wed Mar 27, 2002 6:46 pm

Creatures of Rokugan.
"Truth has no form."
--Idries Shah

World of Avlis Page

Avlis Project FAQ
Orleron

PostAuthor: Vanoviel » Wed Mar 27, 2002 10:42 pm

Yeah I finally found it. My problem was assuming it was a Wizards product. NO. AEG, bastards the cover even has the Wizards Oriental Adventures font. BASTARDS. :finger:
Vanoviel
Apprentice Scholar

Return to The Avlis Project: General Discussion