Uploaded by: Ronan
    Uploaded: Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:41 pm

Links Menu

the average guys walking around

General discussion about Avlis

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Dungeon Masters

the average guys walking around

PostAuthor: X-factor » Mon Aug 19, 2002 2:11 am

hello my character is jozan....I recently bought a greataxe +3 .....sold my +2 one...and was walking around outside the gates....and when i went to zone to another area a friendly guy was near me but i zoned out I thought well upon entering the new area.it said you notice someone going through your stuff and i lost a greataxe +3....Now I kind of figuerd this guy was a theif,but I zoned out I thought and upon going back to the other zone I killed to average guys there thinking one would have my axe no luck..and then everybody became hostle..this i think needs work on..and I am mighty pissed about the axe..like it would be that easy to swipe a greataxe off a person anyway,i could see smaller items or gold..but that sucked..

X-factor
Knight of Useless Drivel

PostAuthor: eNTrOpY » Mon Aug 19, 2002 2:22 am

ummm, maybe another PC? where were you when this happened?

eNTrOpY
Sage

PostAuthor: X-factor » Mon Aug 19, 2002 2:43 am

they arent other pcs.... they are outside and I have seen one in the market area......they will chase you down also unless you attack them

X-factor
Knight of Useless Drivel

PostAuthor: eNTrOpY » Mon Aug 19, 2002 3:05 am

orl: if these guys do pick pocket you if you kill them, will you get your stuff back from them? you should in spirit of persistance.

also if this is scripted, is it actually doing a pick pocket check. if not, it should, doesn't really work if it's not-we're trying to make this as close to PnP as possible.
Also, a pick pocket should NOT cause other NPC's to go hostile, seperate faction. if +3 items just start going poof, the owners will get mad about it, especially if they don't get them back by exacting justice on the offender

eNTrOpY
Sage

PostAuthor: Orleron » Mon Aug 19, 2002 3:12 am

depends on its value, expensive items get passed off and taken to the fence for sale on the black market.... makes them killer hard to find on the original guy who stole them.
"Truth has no form."
--Idries Shah

World of Avlis Page

Avlis Project FAQ
Orleron
World Advisor, Co-founder

Timezone: GMT-5

PostAuthor: eNTrOpY » Mon Aug 19, 2002 3:16 am

instantaneous or actually they walk to the balck market?

eNTrOpY
Sage

PostAuthor: BlackHeart » Mon Aug 19, 2002 3:19 am

--
They made me get it and the number is 173130234....yet I am never there
BlackHeart
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: X-factor » Mon Aug 19, 2002 3:37 am

wonder where the black market is?

X-factor
Knight of Useless Drivel

PostAuthor: Silk » Mon Aug 19, 2002 4:10 pm

A little bit of info regarding the thieves.

If they steal something that is very valuable (like worth of 10k in gold) they immediately stash it somewhere to sell at a alter time. These "thief stashes" are extremely hard to find... otherwise they'd be useless.

All other items the thief carries on his person and you you should find it on him should you counter pickpocket or kill him.

As for everything going hostile... What is going hostile? Other thieves should go hostile (their all in the thief faction)... other factions should not... and on death the thief faction should reset to non-hostile.

Also, yes their is a pickpocket vs. spot skill check involved.
Silk

Member of the MadK@t lover's group.
Silk
Co-Founder

PostAuthor: eNTrOpY » Mon Aug 19, 2002 7:27 pm

I've spotted the commoner faction (farmers outside Mikona) going hostile when you attack the thieves

eNTrOpY
Sage

PostAuthor: Orleron » Mon Aug 19, 2002 7:29 pm

That's just a matter of checking over the relationship between commoner faction and thief faction. If Commoner faction is friendly to Thief, they'll go hostile. Easily changed, and we always see stuff like this when we add new factions... remember animals?
"Truth has no form."
--Idries Shah

World of Avlis Page

Avlis Project FAQ
Orleron

PostAuthor: eNTrOpY » Mon Aug 19, 2002 7:42 pm

yeah, we all remember the animals :)
just letting you guys know which factions they are setting off :)

eNTrOpY
Sage

PostAuthor: MacLeod » Thu Aug 22, 2002 1:06 am

Originally posted by Orleron
That's just a matter of checking over the relationship between commoner faction and thief faction. If Commoner faction is friendly to Thief, they'll go hostile. Easily changed, and we always see stuff like this when we add new factions... remember animals?

Ya, I remember animals. The ravens still do it.

As much as I hate to be critical of people who I know are really working hard, I think the thief idea is way overboard. How many modern street thugs would chase after a kevlar armored guy with a gas mask and an AK-47? Well, then again you do see videos of peasants throwing rocks at tanks now and then.

Personally I think thieves would most likely chase down whoever's easy prey, real big well armed and armored warriors wouldn't be a #1 choice. They're not doing this for their health, they're doing it because it's their way of keeping fed.

There are exceptions of course, some creatures, like dopplegangers would be more interested in the fun and challenge of it.

Secondly, they're too persistant, once they realize their 'mark' is well aware of their intent, they'll more than likely move on to a less alert target.

Example, if you're a pickpocket in a crowded mall, would you chase the woman that just screamed and started running from you because you want her purse? Personally, I'd lay low a bit and find another mark.

Finally, where are the guards? Cities depend on their commerce, they offer incentives to trade guilds to settle in and start competitive businesses, and after that, they'll damn sure protect their investment. Failing all that, the merchants would more than likely piece together cash to hire their own guards, or just leave the city.
Duncan MacLeod,
Chessie Mage

"Alright now you sunsofbitches, you know how I feel"
~Jackyl, Open Invitation

MacLeod
Apprentice Scholar

PostAuthor: Orleron » Thu Aug 22, 2002 1:33 am

Give it time to develop. We're still working on it.
"Truth has no form."
--Idries Shah

World of Avlis Page

Avlis Project FAQ
Orleron

Return to The Avlis Project: General Discussion