Total players: 5
Gallery

Links Menu

How does one become a Lycanthrop

General discussion about Avlis

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Dungeon Masters

How does one become a Lycanthrop

PostAuthor: Goreignak » Fri Aug 16, 2002 5:29 pm

First off, couple of Qs: Is it possible to become a lycanthrop in game? If so, does it change anything about your character? Do you get the ability to shapeshift? Thanks in advance.

Goreignak

PostAuthor: Silk » Fri Aug 16, 2002 6:21 pm

yes. yes. and, involuntarily, yes.
Silk

Member of the MadK@t lover's group.
Silk
Co-Founder

PostAuthor: Orleron » Fri Aug 16, 2002 7:31 pm

You can't equip or use any items while in lycanthrope form... but then again, you get damage reduction and a whole lot of stat increases.
"Truth has no form."
--Idries Shah

World of Avlis Page

Avlis Project FAQ
Orleron
World Advisor, Co-founder

Timezone: GMT-5

PostAuthor: Vrok » Sat Aug 17, 2002 6:24 pm

Actually this is a good place for these thoughts:

1. Why is the CR on wererats so low? They have killed more 1-5 level characters I think than anything else in the game yet are rated easier than anything except a skeleton?

2. Why isn't there a fortitude saving throw against lycanthropy? It seems to be an entirely random event as to once you get hit whether or not you get it. This becomes an important question as the massive amounts of wererats on the way down to the underdark means you are 99% certain to get infected unless you have an area effect spell even if its merely 1 hp of damage you take.

Just some thoughts.

Vrok
Knight of Useless Drivel

PostAuthor: Strangg » Sat Aug 17, 2002 7:12 pm

There ~is~ a saving throw. You just dont' see it. You can tell if you get infected tho, there is a message that appears when they land a touch attack and you fail your save that only appears when you fail the save. You just need to watch carefully or scroll back thru the fight to see it. Lycanthropy isnt' transmitted by just them slappin gyou about. They actually have to land a touch attack first and you have to fail the save. Next time you run into a were creature watch the fight info you will see some text in purple when they try to infect you. A normal attack be it 1 point or 10 points of damage form a were creature does not transmit lycanthropy
Strangg
Team Member; Retired with Honors

PostAuthor: Vrok » Sun Aug 18, 2002 11:56 pm

Oh, I believe you that there is a saving throw - but it looks given the relative ease of getting lycanthropy that the DC is ridiculous - and is it against fortitude, reflex, or will? Lets put it this way - a buffed up 12th level monk should just shrug off a lycanthrope attack. He isn't. If he can't ain't no one that can.

Also, the other factor is that the touch attacks for this are probably the wrong way to go about it. Takes away all sorts of armor protections per the manual - yet the script says "uh-oh that cut looks deep". That would imply a melee attack. Hmmm....

Vrok
Knight of Useless Drivel

PostAuthor: Strangg » Mon Aug 19, 2002 1:52 am

I think the way it is done is that they have to make a phsyical attack ~then~ land a touch attack. I'd have to check. As for the save it is a fortitude check against a DC of 15 or 18. Which is pretty high. But to be honest it is pretty easy to cure. If nothign else go buy some cure disease scrolls and carry them with you. If not then you can always go see the priest of O'Ma, he heals it for free. I used to be amazed at how many times my warrior caught lycanthropy, and he is a dwarf as well. He has a high con and has items that increase his saves. And before i got an immune to fear belt for him i couldn't believe the times he would fail that save, and he only needed to roll a 4 or better to save. Sometimes you just have bad luck, and my warrior seems to be good at failing saving throws.

~
Strangg

PostAuthor: Orleron » Mon Aug 19, 2002 2:00 am

Actually there was no saving throw, until today. Thanks for the advice. (I haven't found out what the DC is, but I'm sure it's not ridiculous.) Let me know how the functionality goes.
"Truth has no form."
--Idries Shah

World of Avlis Page

Avlis Project FAQ
Orleron

PostAuthor: eNTrOpY » Mon Aug 19, 2002 2:10 am

oh, orl stated the possible pros of becoming infected...be warned however b4 going out and becoming a wererat/cat/wolf or anything of the sort to get these pros - Read Tri'as's bio in the biography thread, you might want to think twice about it cuz Tri won't be a happy camper if you do :P

eNTrOpY
Sage

PostAuthor: timo » Mon Aug 19, 2002 12:20 pm

Also I've noticed that I receive the "Uh-oh that cut looks deep" message even when I take 0 damage due to damage resistance and damage reduction (I used to have Belt of Inertial Barrier and Robes of the Old Order or something like that.)

timo
Prince of Bloated Discourse

PostAuthor: Orleron » Mon Aug 19, 2002 1:25 pm

That is because right now it's a touch attack that does no damage.
"Truth has no form."
--Idries Shah

World of Avlis Page

Avlis Project FAQ
Orleron

PostAuthor: Vian » Mon Aug 19, 2002 3:02 pm

Now here is an interesting twist to this...

Lycanthropy is a disease right??

Well.... Vian is a paladin and is IMMUNE to DISEASE.. as part of his abilities..

yet Vian would regularily catch it.

However, also being a paladin Vian has nutso saving throws, afterall Paladins apply their charisma bonus to their saving throws...

So, if there is a saving throw for lycanthropy I am sure Vian will save for it :D

but he shouldn't have to save... he should be immune in the first place.

Vian
Vian

PostAuthor: Silk » Mon Aug 19, 2002 4:16 pm

As of yesterday, there are Fortitude Saving throws for Lycanthropy.

The DCs are as follows:
Wererats=15
Wercats = 20
Werewolves = 25

These may be adjusted in the future.
As for disease immunity, I'll look into that.

I also changed the message for when you become infected... it's more about how you feel inside rather than what it looks like.
Silk

Member of the MadK@t lover's group.
Silk
Co-Founder

PostAuthor: Vrok » Sat Aug 24, 2002 12:38 am

Actually, I seem to recall that the immune to diseases for paladins/monks from 3rd Ed covers everything except the werestuff...

Vrok
Knight of Useless Drivel

PostAuthor: MacLeod » Sat Aug 24, 2002 2:13 am

Tyr would kill himself if he ever got infected by any of them evil shape shifters and didn't have a reasonable chance of getting it cured in a timely fashion.

Any chance of a werebear? :D

And if I remember right, Vian is correct, Paladins are immune to all diseases, natural and unnatural.
*checks*
Yup
PHB:
Divine Health: A palidin is immune to all diseases, including magical diseease such as mummy rot and lycanthropy.
Duncan MacLeod,
Chessie Mage

"Alright now you sunsofbitches, you know how I feel"
~Jackyl, Open Invitation

MacLeod
Apprentice Scholar

PostAuthor: Strangg » Sat Aug 24, 2002 2:20 am

Paladins are immuneto all disease except magical ones, ie mummy rot, lycanthropy etc.

~S
Strangg

PostAuthor: eNTrOpY » Sat Aug 24, 2002 2:45 am

...so who the hell is right? i can't get to my PHB right now :(

eNTrOpY
Sage

PostAuthor: MacLeod » Sat Aug 24, 2002 3:10 am

Originally posted by eNTrOpY
...so who the hell is right? i can't get to my PHB right now :(

Hmm, according to both the PHB and the DM guide, the DM (Orl and Silk that is) is always right. :o

But he's still contradicting the rulebook! :P
Duncan MacLeod,
Chessie Mage

"Alright now you sunsofbitches, you know how I feel"
~Jackyl, Open Invitation

MacLeod
Apprentice Scholar

PostAuthor: Strangg » Sat Aug 24, 2002 3:25 am

Seems in 3e paladins ~ARE~ immune to magical disease... I could have sworn they werent' in AD&D 2e and it stayed the same..ahh well. Seems paladin imunities are like antibiotics they stop being effective sometimes..heh.

~S
Strangg

PostAuthor: Silk » Sat Aug 24, 2002 2:54 pm

According to the 3ED PHB, Paladin's are immunt to Lycanthropy.

At the moment, in Avlis, they are not.
It's possible, in the future, that the God's may bestow devine grace on Paladin's and make them immune.
Silk
Co-Founder

PostAuthor: eNTrOpY » Sat Aug 24, 2002 5:46 pm

How bout them Monkeys? What does the PHB say about them?

eNTrOpY
Sage

PostAuthor: Vrok » Sat Aug 24, 2002 5:48 pm

Actually - just be careful not to level up while in wereform. I did so with one of the very first characters rolled up on this way back when, got an extra skill point (as the nasty wererat was smarter than a half-orc...hmmm), and then couldn't log in anymore as the server gave an invalid character error as I had too many skill points!

Vrok
Knight of Useless Drivel

Return to The Avlis Project: General Discussion