Total players: 11
Gallery

Links Menu

Guard Headquarters?

General discussion about Avlis

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Dungeon Masters

Guard Headquarters?

PostAuthor: Vian » Tue Aug 13, 2002 5:49 pm

Is there a lead of the guard or a guard headquarters in Mikona?

If there is I just missed it... and I should do some more exploring :D

On a side note...

Once more areas have been implemented and I mean lots more areas and Avlis takes like 30 minutes to cross :D, would it be possible to setup a wanderers path...

here's my idea: Creat a character of intrigue... kinda like Gandalf from lord of the rings... but not exactly... doesnt' have to be a wizard, nor super powerful, nor anything... or think of ... what's that wizards name you see all over the place in BG, and BGII... Gorion's friend... the wanderer...

ANYWAYS - make a character like that and have his waypoints go all over Avlis... tons of places... he could provide cool quests that could be updated... perhaps he even stops at inns, and taverns for a shortwhile?

Just a thought,

Vian
Vian
Team Member; Retired with Honors

PostAuthor: Orleron » Tue Aug 13, 2002 6:38 pm

The guard HQ is not one building, but actually 4 buildings just around the city entrance. 2 barracks, and 2 gate posts.

The wanderer wouldn't work because he wouldn't be able to cross from mod to mod. Don't forget that Avlis will actually contain one mod for each city and the wilderness.
"Truth has no form."
--Idries Shah

World of Avlis Page

Avlis Project FAQ
Orleron
World Advisor, Co-founder

Timezone: GMT-5

PostAuthor: Sekhmet » Tue Aug 13, 2002 6:54 pm

Hmm...I haven't played with the toolset but can you set up external triggers. If so, you can provide a way for modules to interact so that a wanderer could leave one module and enter another.

Sekhmet
Squire of Babble

PostAuthor: eNTrOpY » Tue Aug 13, 2002 7:02 pm

Also, if the mods are started together at the same time, you could set up triggers so that when the wanderer is supposed to enter a different area/mod (based on time maybe) he dissappears (is removed) from the mod he is in and appears (created) in the mod he is going to. For this to work well, the mods would have to start at the same time, and at a certain point - when the wanderer starts heading for his "exit point" he ignores attempts to talk to him.

Vian, the name of the wanderer was Elminster. Big 29th lvl wizard (according to the BG manual) who could prolly kick your ass :)

eNTrOpY
Sage

PostAuthor: Orleron » Tue Aug 13, 2002 7:30 pm

Those are cute ideas, but honestly the first thing I'm gonna try is a good ole ActivatePortal function on the NPC. I doubt it will work, but if it does, problem solved.... if not, well then it will have to wait. (I'm sure you'd much rather have the Kurathene Empire set up than a bunch of Elminsters.)
:D
"Truth has no form."
--Idries Shah

World of Avlis Page

Avlis Project FAQ
Orleron

PostAuthor: eNTrOpY » Tue Aug 13, 2002 7:35 pm

Actually i'd rather have the T'Nanshi set up :)

eNTrOpY
Sage

PostAuthor: Orleron » Tue Aug 13, 2002 7:44 pm

Ah well then you'll get your wish sooner than the rest because T'Nanshi is next after M'Chek. Both are part of the Wilderness mod.
"Truth has no form."
--Idries Shah

World of Avlis Page

Avlis Project FAQ
Orleron

PostAuthor: Silk » Tue Aug 13, 2002 8:55 pm

I have a possible solution for the "Gandalf" idea.

We can schedule where he is from day to day, so we can actively drop him into a mod when it loads and he'll wonder his waypoints there... then the next day we'll drop him in a different mod.

Again, this is secondary to all the other stuff... but definately something interesting.
Silk

Member of the MadK@t lover's group.
Silk
Co-Founder

PostAuthor: BlackHeart » Wed Aug 14, 2002 5:33 pm

You could also have a wanderer for each mod. That is Joe the wander in the Mikona mod, Fred in another mod, Billy Bob in another. (I'm a redneck hick can you tell? :):) ) Ok so the names would need to change to fit the areas but you get my point.

If you want only one active per real world day, you just need to know how long the NWN day is and set the character to leave after how ever many NWN days are in one real world day.

But if the mods take approximately 30 minutes or more to cross (I assume that one would have to know the path and not do anything else other than run across the path to acomplish this) then having multiple wanderers might not be a bad thing. A PC would need to try to run into more than one in more than an hour or 2 and this would be multiple days in NWN time. That might even make a nice quest Elminster request that you take this note to Gandalf. Gandalf will give you 100 GP and 100 XP when if he recieves it. Elminister tells you where Gandalf is, the city of Mikona for example, but the PC has to find him in the city.

But then again I have never been in a PNP game with you guys either so I don't know how you normally handle a wanderer.
BlackHeart
Scholar of Fools

Return to The Avlis Project: General Discussion