Total players: 4
Gallery

Links Menu

Characters

General discussion about Avlis

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Dungeon Masters

Characters

PostAuthor: Shadow Vulture » Fri Jul 26, 2002 3:13 pm

I was bored at work so i thought i would try to find out a little about the player characters i will no doubt be seeing within the world of Avlis.

My character is a Drow Rogue called Jeula Teylan, and she specializes in her two rapiers.

She is not evil but she is definitely chaotic.

You will mostly see her when it is dark, and she will keep to the shadows during the day if she must venture out. She respects all life but will not think twice about killing someone who has wronged her or her beliefs.

Jeula is quite friendly, so say hello "if" you see her.

what characters does everyone else use in Avlis?

Shadow Vulture

PostAuthor: Orleron » Fri Jul 26, 2002 3:28 pm

What world does Jeula come from?

Drow are unknown on Avlis, but you can make her a transplant from another world if you like. She will be even more of a novelty because people won't even know that Drow are supposed to be evil.

Also, you can make up the story that brought her here through the dimensions.
"Truth has no form."
--Idries Shah

World of Avlis Page

Avlis Project FAQ
Orleron
World Advisor, Co-founder

Timezone: GMT-5

PostAuthor: eNTrOpY » Fri Jul 26, 2002 6:20 pm

I play the elven ranger Tri'as (fighter thrown in now for some extra feats, oh and to give myself a 20% xp penalty to slow down my growth a bit - hope that helps you guys a bit Orl and Silk :) )

He is a servant of all that is good and will do whatever is in his power to forward that goal, regardless of whether or not the law says he can.

He walks openly even though he has made many enemies amoung the bandit chiefs from the slums of Mikona. His blades (not to mention bow and maces) are always at his sides, ready to be drawn in defense of good.

Tri'as is not the most open and friendly of people, unless you get to know him and prove that you serve good.

His history is a sad one indeed. When he was young, only 45 years of age (hey, he's an elf, that's young as hell!) his small village was overrun by lycanthropes. Everyone he held dear was eventually turned into one of them. He fled his village. After a fortnight of blind flight, he came upon a little known ranger. Tri'as learned the ways of the ranger under him. Seven years later he left his mentor and began searching the world for evil, so he could destroy it.
(You want the one i typed up on character creation? EXAMINE me in game - that shows you the persons bio)

He hates lycanthropes (set to shapechangers for NWN purposes) for obvious reasons, and knows their weak spots. During his journeys with Vian the paladin, he has come to learn the weaknesses of the undead. On his frequent encounters in the slums he has learned the weak spots of half-orcs. And from his mentor, he learned the weaknesses of the feared dragon race.

You will see him a lot of the time with the members of his party - Vian, Sammy, Vrok, Harth and Delith

eNTrOpY
Sage

PostAuthor: Vorvodoss » Fri Jul 26, 2002 7:08 pm

When I get the chance and a break from other responsibilities, I play Fizzywiggle: Gnome Sorcerer Extraordinaire!

He's a bit mischevious and is known, from time to time, to play tricks on others. Though he is a Sorcerer, he's an Illusionist (I actually have to remake him because I slipped and he got created as an Evoker).

Keep an eye out for him.

Ok, back to writing stuff.

Vorvodoss

PostAuthor: Sekhmet » Fri Jul 26, 2002 7:27 pm

The character I'm currently playing, Sekhmet, I'd kind of always pictured as half-drow. But seeing as there are no drow in Avlis I guess I better be coming up with a story too.

But yeah, Half-Elf (Half-Drow) Rogue/Ranger. Don't get in her way and mind your own business!!! Though perhaps her and Jeula could work out some business arrangements that would be mutually beneficial.

Sekhmet
Squire of Babble

PostAuthor: Dupree » Fri Jul 26, 2002 8:34 pm

I forgot my human fighter's name....
Dupree
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: Melancthe » Sat Jul 27, 2002 12:56 am

A young cleric of Dagath -- who, alas, believed that she was a half-nymph but whose player did not understand how to select this subrace option in terms of actual game mechanics and so is human.

Her innocent face, limpid green eyes and graceful form obscure a sometimes petulant nature, although she is basically sound-hearted and unfailingly polite to those who are themselves civil.

Currently concerned by the discovery that Acheron rather than Mechanus is now her home-from-home in the planes. (Cause: her shadow avatar's slaying of a couple of inexplicably hostile Romini in the camp near the cemetary!) She is hopeful that Sir Vian's spiritual guidance will see her through . . .

Melancthe

PostAuthor: Vian » Sat Jul 27, 2002 4:52 am

I can guide you back to the light side my dear.

*smile* righteousness will show you the way to the side of good. And ye shall be saved.

Find me and I will guide you back to the light.

Vian
Vian
Team Member; Retired with Honors

PostAuthor: Shadow Vulture » Mon Jul 29, 2002 10:24 am

Originally posted by Orleron
What world does Jeula come from?

Drow are unknown on Avlis, but you can make her a transplant from another world if you like. She will be even more of a novelty because people won't even know that Drow are supposed to be evil.

Also, you can make up the story that brought her here through the dimensions.

Jeula was banished by her kind for falling in love with a human barbarian called Burndor. she was sent into dimensional limbo and awoke on the outskirts of Mikona.

In Elondria the dark elves are the priests and healers of the poor and unfortunate, and are worshiped for their good deeds. They brought materials and knowledge to the surface and exchanged them for a chance of peace for Elondria.

The only rule in Elondria is that there will be no cross-races, and those that are, are banished from Elondria.

Burndor, furious at the banishment of Jeula, has managed to learn the whereabouts of his lost love Jeula Tey'lan,
and now goes in search of the missing Drow.

Shadow Vulture

PostAuthor: Dupree » Tue Jul 30, 2002 5:31 pm

Hmmm, it would be my friendly suggestion that before attempting to play a Drow, you go to the local bookstore and read the latest issue of Dragon Magazine. It is all about Drow. True Drow don't banish their kin. They murder them, or if the victim is worthy, they sacrifice them. It would be a strange site indeed to find a "banished" Drow.

Dupree knows a little of the Drow. They are evil to the core. Many Drow commit murder before they even leave the womb. Benifit of the doubt is something I would never waste on a Drow.
Dupree
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: eNTrOpY » Tue Jul 30, 2002 6:13 pm

Ummm, Shadow Vulture has created their own world from which the drow comes from Dupree.
Read the post: "In Elondria the dark elves are the priests and healers of the poor and unfortunate, and are worshiped for their good deeds. They brought materials and knowledge to the surface and exchanged them for a chance of peace for Elondria."
The drow in Shadow's world are good guys

eNTrOpY
Sage

PostAuthor: Dupree » Tue Jul 30, 2002 9:27 pm

I read it....

And Drow are evil....
Dupree
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: Strangg » Tue Jul 30, 2002 9:48 pm

Originally posted by Dupree
I read it....

And Drow are evil....

In ~your~ world maybe. Different worlds have different ideas/cultures and even laws of physics if the builder/DM wishes it so. That's why the rules in D&D are so wonderful. Rule Zero is the best DM rule there is and any DM who doesn't use it is probably boring as all get out. Creativity and htinking up new ideas is what it is all about.

There are more to the race of Drow than what you think. Not all Drow are liek those in Menzo in FR. Even in FR there are good aligned drow that live on the surface that worship a good aligned god. And i'm not talking about Drizzt here either. Read up, dont' be so closed minded and let people play the character they want as long as they aren't being a problem player.

Now as far as Avlis goes if the people who run it dont' want to see drow runnign about then that's just fine, it's their world, their rules.

~
Strangg
Team Member; Retired with Honors

PostAuthor: Dupree » Tue Jul 30, 2002 9:58 pm

I'm in no position to dictate how a character should or should not be played. I simply gave a suggestion, and my opinion.
Dupree
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: Orleron » Tue Jul 30, 2002 9:59 pm

The real reason why I never incorporated Drow into Avlis is because I'm sick of every single person in the world trying to play a drow.... Drow are RARE, especially in FR. But the problem is as soon as a DM lets them into his/her world, you start seeing zillions of them running around everywhere.... It's like whenever a new trend comes out and everyone tries to be cool.
"Truth has no form."
--Idries Shah

World of Avlis Page

Avlis Project FAQ
Orleron

PostAuthor: eNTrOpY » Tue Jul 30, 2002 10:14 pm

This is why forcing a VERY good backstory on rare character types is a good idea :)
My PnP DM makes us write up back stories before he lets us play our chars.
And Orl, i agree on the drow thing, you let anyone and everyone be a drow, and you'll end up with a horde of them.

eNTrOpY
Sage

PostAuthor: Orleron » Tue Jul 30, 2002 10:49 pm

Yeah that's why I just said, "No native drow on Avlis". This way people won't really play them because it doesn't make sense, but who ever started one before they knew what the world was like can continue to play.
"Truth has no form."
--Idries Shah

World of Avlis Page

Avlis Project FAQ
Orleron

PostAuthor: Shadow Vulture » Wed Jul 31, 2002 8:05 am

hey all,

Dupree- i respect your opinion.

There are bad drow in my world but there are also bad types of every race in my world.

i find it more interesting to have diversity within every race, even some of the orc clans in my world trade with the main races.

I have used Jeula the drow for ages because she (and drow in general) always seems to get good and bad attention. It is then up to me to change peoples perception of her to my liking.

i will understand if people dont want me to play as a drow, its quite common. besides i have a lvl5 barbarian in Avlis aswel
:)

Shadow Vulture

Return to The Avlis Project: General Discussion