Total players: 5
Gallery

Links Menu

D&D and Powergaming/PowerLeveling

General discussion about Avlis

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Dungeon Masters

D&D and Powergaming/PowerLeveling

PostAuthor: Silk » Tue Jul 23, 2002 2:08 am

I've heard that there are people in Avlis using PowerLeveling techniques to twink characters.

I'd like to ask you guys pleasantly, please don't powerlevel or powergame.

Avlis is a world using D&D, D&D is about Being your character and living/reacting to the world and it's challenges. It's not about being the highest level as fast as you can.

If you have an opinion about this, please discuss it here. I just felt somewhat dissapointed when I heard people were powerleveling.
Silk

Member of the MadK@t lover's group.
Silk
Co-Founder

PostAuthor: winksman » Tue Jul 23, 2002 2:23 am

I've got a question about this.......
I try not to powerlevel.... but when I get to the server and I'm the only one around...... I wonder around the world searching for a quest and there is none that I can find.... maybe I'm missing something but the only encounter I have been able to find is in the slums....... if there was more automated quests to find I don't think people would be power leveling... don't mean to criticize because I realize how hard you guys are working, but I just wanted to express my point of view on the issue.....

winksman
Whiney Peasant

PostAuthor: Silk » Tue Jul 23, 2002 3:20 am

Which is exactly why I'd like to quit my job and code fulltime for avlis.

:P
Silk

Silk
Co-Founder

PostAuthor: winksman » Tue Jul 23, 2002 4:00 am

the world allready have the potential to be great. I think if you want players you need some DMs to use what you have built and making some fun for the players. I'm sure there are willing people.... I think we need to get them started ASAP so we can retain players because I was very impressed at first but after two straight days of cleansing the slums and delivering flowers I have become quite bored........I think there is allready the world base for a few DMS to cook up some interesting quests......

winksman
Whiney Peasant

PostAuthor: tindertwiggy » Tue Jul 23, 2002 4:20 am

"Hiya" -Sammy

I've had fun gettign to know the character personalities so far, and there are a few people on the server that I banter with for quite a while when we re on together, but at some point the conversation dies and inevitably comes out "uhhh, lets go look at the slums." After a half hour or more of slummin' we end up talking again, adn teh cycle repeats.

I have to admit to power leveling at times, when I find myself close to the next level you better believe I want to get there asap. I haven't really played single player NWN beyond about 15 minutes, so I am still learning the game. I want to see the new spells I get "next level and such."

There are some good rp'ers on teh server, as I have expressed, and I can't wait to learn more about Vrok's past, or see Vian get further in his quest to purify the city, so be there when tri'as gets to the bottom of his search for what went wrong with the clerics of daggeth..

All these people have racked up quite a bit of exp. and are level 10+. What can you say, they like the game and consequently are on quite a bit. Considering there are not many quests yet (this is not a complaint at all), the people I know well on the server are doing a great job of playign D&D and not necessarily powerleveling.

I know you and orleron are working your brains (and probably eyeballs) out. Keep it up :D, with more content will come more roll playing opportunities. I have started firing up the world creation tools and I am trying ot learn it well enough to start creating content, the faster it is out there the better.

All in all thank you and Orl so much for the amazing amount of work and thought you have put in so far. thank you. thank you. I am happy to call avlis home, I know so many cool people here, and I have no desire to play anywhere else.

And besides, who wants to have fun IRL? :P

-twiggy

tindertwiggy
Legacy DM
Legacy DM

PostAuthor: tindertwiggy » Tue Jul 23, 2002 4:30 am

another thought I had as i hit the post button.

I am starting to see more people. With more people will come more and more Rp'ing. people will add a versatility the computer controlled npc never will, forming friendships, enemies, guilds, and factions. You should see the Rp'ing increase exponentially then.

Avlis is young, give it a little time. When I started PnP I played for the hack n slash, adn i crunched the numbers. As I played I came to appreciate teh rp'ing more and more. the last PnP character I played was a child rogue (hence Sammy), being a child he had horrible negatives to abilities accross the board, and *rarely* entered combat. Most of it was getign the job done through Rp'ing at that point. Give it time, people will settle in, it took me a while :).

twiggy

tindertwiggy
Legacy DM
Legacy DM

PostAuthor: Vian » Tue Jul 23, 2002 3:30 pm

Well I have to say thank-you for your nice words Sammy! :)

I feel much like Sammy does... I enjoy playing and as such I am on constantly... Sammy, Tri'as, Delith, and the bunch are great, super fun to play with! :)

I may be one who would be accused of such powerleveling... however, I do it in context... I play a paladin, and made it my mission to cleanse the city of evil... a very paladinish undertaking if you ask me... (and have been actively recruiting people to help me with my cause. :))

Anyways, as a result I help clean the city streets... it doesn't matter what it is either.. I usually attack anything that is threatening the city.. (even when I get 0 experience for it!)

When there aren't many places to hunt down evil and no places for socialization such as taverns... then yes some people will look like powergamers... hence the camping, and resetting the spawn etc., rinse repeat.

This isn't a complaint I love Avlis, I am just saying that if there are only 2 places in which to encounter adventure ... and the sewers only respawn when the server is reset people will be concentrated in the slums for adventure. (which is really what we all play for)

I have explored the entire city, done the fire beatle, Daggath life quest (can't do the others.. I'm a paladin) and flower quests, not to mention all the other adventures I have had as stated in the tavern, but I always end up in the slums for one reason or another.

I know you guys are super busy, and trying your absolute best!! I appreciate it and won't complain. You have stuff ready when it's ready.

However, with it being so early in the stage... and really nothing much else to do in the city... what else can we do?

Vian
Vian
Team Member; Retired with Honors

PostAuthor: Orleron » Tue Jul 23, 2002 6:06 pm

I understand all of your thoughts. They are true. I have gone on the server for a few minutes at a time here and there and watched you play.

My only fear is that people will get to 20th level and then be bored because they will never get another level again. Normally, if Avlis were ready to have 20th level characters, we would roleplay you into some high position. But right now we are working on so much other stuff that going into the game and roleplaying with you gusy would take away from that other stuff.

Soon.. and I mean like in a day or two, there will be a whole new place to explore. It's got story and it's got monsters to kill... no quests yet, nor will it have any upon implementation. But we will also hire someone or a couple people to make quests. I have approved 2 people already and am just waitng for Silkie to get off his duff and give his agreement so I can assign them stuff to do.
"Truth has no form."
--Idries Shah

World of Avlis Page

Avlis Project FAQ
Orleron
World Advisor, Co-founder
World Advisor, Co-founder

Timezone: GMT-5

PostAuthor: eNTrOpY » Tue Jul 23, 2002 7:28 pm

I'm with Vian and Sammy. I know that for our little party, we roleplay our characters. Vian cleanses everything he sees as a threat to the city. Sammy, an impressionable halfing lad whose spent so much time around Vian that he has come to see that serving good is how things should be. We all dealt with the insanity of the Clerics of Daggath when they were killing citizens the way i think our characters would have. Hell i theatened another player character with decapitation, within or outside the law, when we saw him looting the corpses of the commoners killed by the clerics - much as i think a chaotic good ranger would do.

Orleron, your concerns about lvl 20 characters is extremely well founded - and we know you guys are still way to busy building the world to help roleplay us into positions of power and what not - and until Avlis is your vision of what you want it to be, we wouldn't want you too, it would be unfair to you adn to all the other players as well. But I will say this to calm your fears about 20th lvl characters running unchecked in Avlis. even my 16th lvl character is going to have one hell of a time getting to 20, the huge amount of xp needed to get even from 16 to 20 would take even the most hardcore of players to get. And since i'm not gunning for 20, i'm not powerleveling, all i want to do is have fun with a bunch of great roleplayers.

On another note, did you get any of those "Minor DMs" you were letting people apply for? If your minor dms are available to help out during the time you guys are at work or sleeping, they can help make the server more roleplay filled. They can give little quests, make some unexpected events to occur and the like - forcing them to react to the events.
example - that little trick you guys pulled on us with the elven mage. you forced us to react to those events

If you guys haven't been able to get any minor dms, post it here - i'll apply for it to try to help you guys out

eNTrOpY
Sage

PostAuthor: tindertwiggy » Wed Jul 24, 2002 2:23 am

Sammy isn't a halfling he's a HUMAN child. I needed a kid-sized model, so i went halfling, chose sub-race, and put in human..... so his character sheet actually says human. :) whoopee.

I figured a few of the halfing traits, such as improved saves fit kids well. How many times have i seen a little kid wreck on a bicycle in a way that would break everybone in my body, only to bounce back up with just a few tears....

back to the subject...

Orl, in the event of sammy hitting level 20 I will proabably start a new character, I find the early level encounters a lot less complicated, and thus more fun. I imagine other people would do the same.

tindertwiggy
Legacy DM
Legacy DM

PostAuthor: Silk » Wed Jul 24, 2002 2:12 pm

a child killing viscious werebeats? The humanity!!!
Silk

Silk
Co-Founder

PostAuthor: tindertwiggy » Wed Jul 24, 2002 6:27 pm

Yep ;)

You will rarely find him killing werebeasts without Vian or Tri'as between him n the baddies.

the tavern is great btw, love being able to sit...

tindertwiggy
Legacy DM
Legacy DM

PostAuthor: eNTrOpY » Wed Jul 24, 2002 6:36 pm

Yeah, great tavern guys! And whoever possessed that waitress, i'm looking forward to some more info.
Nice slip of the tongue too :)
And as for Sammy, that kid throws a mean curve ball with those fireballs. He can give beats to werebeasts any day :)

eNTrOpY
Sage

PostAuthor: eNTrOpY » Wed Jul 24, 2002 8:07 pm

Oh, I hope that now that the tavern is open, people will roleplay a lot more, interacting in the tavern with other players. This should hopefully put a dent into the lvling of the players. We shouldn't be seeing many other lvl 17 characters around . If you do, you'll know someone is powerlvling, it toke me about 3 days to get from 16 to 17 while roleplaying my character with everyone, This was without the tavern so it should take at least a good week now that there is a hub in which people can meet and roleplay.

eNTrOpY
Sage

PostAuthor: Vian » Wed Jul 24, 2002 8:11 pm

with out the ability to rest it should take about 2 weeks now lol! :)

Vian
Vian
Team Member; Retired with Honors

PostAuthor: Silk » Wed Jul 24, 2002 8:43 pm

*coughcharacterresetlevel1cough*
Silk

Silk
Co-Founder

PostAuthor: eNTrOpY » Wed Jul 24, 2002 9:45 pm

Ack, I hope your kidding. Meh, oh well if your not, i'll just have roleplay all over again to 17.

eNTrOpY
Sage

Return to The Avlis Project: General Discussion