Total players: 7
Gallery

Links Menu

Lower levels and XP

General discussion about Avlis

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Dungeon Masters

Lower levels and XP

PostAuthor: Fetus » Tue Jul 16, 2002 3:52 am

Well, i told a DM in the server the other day, but i figured id post it here.

Its simple: Leveling as a lower character is hard. My idea was to make a zone or two with LOTS of low level, semi-easy to kill creatures. That give very few xp...like maybe 3-10 xp per. It wouldnt make leveling faster...just easier, in my opinion. And, you guys could also keep the 'FedEx' quests to have a variety for the different kinds of player.

Fetus

PostAuthor: Orleron » Tue Jul 16, 2002 6:02 am

Probably what I do when I get around to it is make a bunch of small furry animals that spawn and run around the city. Easy enough, and very crappy experience, but something to kill nonetheless.

Once the Abandoned Dwarven Quarters go in below the sewers, we will probably tone down the spawn in the sewers themselves.
"Truth has no form."
--Idries Shah

World of Avlis Page

Avlis Project FAQ
Orleron
World Advisor, Co-founder

Timezone: GMT-5

PostAuthor: Silk » Tue Jul 16, 2002 2:44 pm

Last night i was playing instead of coding (i was too tired), and I noticed something.

At level 1 the Ratmen in the sewers give about 10 XP, and the gangbangers in the slums give about 68 XP. The ratmen are EXTREMELY tough at level 1, alot tougher than the gangbangers.

This disparity is something we need to look at.

Most of the sewers are pretty god damned dangerous. I'm going to work on the Abandoned Dwarven Quarters tonight and then we can rework the sewer spawns (like getting rid of those high level spiders that smack you to the floor in one round).

Also, let's not spawn woodland creatures in the cities, let's expand a little bit outside and put them there. I'll work on that also.
Silk

Member of the MadK@t lover's group.
Silk
Co-Founder

PostAuthor: Fetus » Tue Jul 16, 2002 3:23 pm

Aye, those wererats are a nightmare for the level1 fresh out of adventure-school.

Fetus

PostAuthor: Silk » Tue Jul 16, 2002 3:52 pm

What really makes them so tough is there 10 damange reduction. They'd be a breeze without it.
Silk

Member of the MadK@t lover's group.
Silk
Co-Founder

PostAuthor: Orleron » Tue Jul 16, 2002 4:01 pm

The problem is that the experience is calculated by the software based on challenge rating.

Gang members have more hp and more levels and better equipment than wererats. But the rats have damage reduction.

So in practice it's really tough to kill a wererat, but in theory the gang members have a higher challenge due to equipment and levels, etc.

The one limitation of this game that I find to be a pain is that you can't set the challenge rating of a creature. It calculates it automatically. The only thing we can change is the exp slider in the module and that's already set almost all the way down.

But I agree, we can rework the spawn in the sewers when you finish the dwarf dungeon, and we can put some small furry animals outside the castle, but before you do that make sure you read some stuff that I'm gonna send you, Silk, on what's just outside the walls.
Orleron

PostAuthor: Axion » Tue Jul 16, 2002 4:48 pm

If you go under the Advance Tab under the creatures properties, you can adjust the cr of a creature. That should let you give more xp for wererats I believe.

Axion
Whiney Peasant

PostAuthor: Orleron » Tue Jul 16, 2002 6:10 pm

I will look again but I remember having problems doing this, even under the advanced tab.
"Truth has no form."
--Idries Shah

World of Avlis Page

Avlis Project FAQ
Orleron

Gangbangers versus others

PostAuthor: Vrok » Wed Jul 17, 2002 1:33 am

Agreed on both counts. The wererats are very tough, especially with the damage resistance (Vrok needs a greatsword to damage them) and the fact they can turn you into one of them easily. By the way, an interesting bug on that is that if you make level while a wererat, you get the int bonus of the wererat (12) versus whatever you might have otherwise.

On the other hand, the gang members are easy once you can smite them hard enough. I don't see a reason to fight anywhere else until level 7-8, especially since they are beating up on helpless commoners!

Vrok
Knight of Useless Drivel

Return to The Avlis Project: General Discussion