Total players: 1
Gallery

Links Menu

Good noobie influx

General discussion about Avlis

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Dungeon Masters

Good noobie influx

PostAuthor: Orleron » Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:21 pm

Recently I started advertising Avlis on Google Ads. It seems to have roughly doubled the number of applications we get. We were getting about 5 or 6 per day and are now getting 10 to 15 per day. Not bad.

The noobies are the lifeblood of the game! You were all noobs once, and here you are being part of the community and keeping it alive. Remember that!

:)

So if you happen to see some of these Googler noobies, please be nice to them and make them want to stay. :) The BioWeder generation is now an old pro, and hopefully they can pass the torch.

(Did anyone ever put stuff about the generations on the wiki?)
"Truth has no form."
--Idries Shah

World of Avlis Page

Avlis Project FAQ
Orleron
World Advisor, Co-founder

Timezone: GMT-5

PostAuthor: Micah » Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:47 pm

Welcome to Avlis, Googlen00bs!
Micah
Lead Producer

DM Avatar: Pelar

Re: Good noobie influx

PostAuthor: Krator » Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:48 pm

Orleron wrote:(Did anyone ever put stuff about the generations on the wiki?)

Not.. yet.

On it.

What's the general thing?
1. 1%
2. Other people
3. Biowedders
4. Underpants.
5. Profits!

I'm not sure on this subject, so someone with more knowledge please post.
Playing as: Sir Douglas Hope of Gorethar, old school paladin | Krator Blackfist, gold mage | Warren, half nymph barbarian
Krator
Elder Sage

Timezone: GMT

Re: Good noobie influx

PostAuthor: Significant Owl » Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:55 pm

Krator wrote:What's the general thing?

1. 1%
2. Other people
3. Biowedders
4. Underpants.
5. Profits!

Just to add a bit.. Think it was something like:

1: 1%'ers
2: Random people (From advertising on the official bioware boards, and other places?)
3: Biowedders
4: Random people again
5: Poll/Google people?

And yeah..

Micah Ormane wrote:Welcome to Avlis, Googlen00bs!
Jesus promised the end of all wicked people.
Thor promised the end of all Ice Giants.
                I don't see many Ice Giants around.
Significant Owl
Team Member; Retired with Honors

Timezone: CET

PostAuthor: Nob » Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:58 pm

There's something like 12 generations. (or maybe it's 14)? But Biowedders are closer to 6th or 7th.
"Andrinor grant me the patience not to kill those who screw things up through stupidity, the power to incinerate those who screw things up on purpose, and the wisdom to distinguish between one and the other." -The War Mage's Serenity Prayer
Nob
Elder DM
Elder DM

DM Avatar: Dead but still a Dreamer

PostAuthor: Significant Owl » Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:00 pm

Share, or put up on the wiki, Nob? :o
Jesus promised the end of all wicked people.
Thor promised the end of all Ice Giants.
                I don't see many Ice Giants around.
Significant Owl

Timezone: CET

PostAuthor: girlysprite » Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:39 pm

Im from before bioware. Came here in Febr/march 2 years ago...wait, isnt that an anniversary? :) so Im like...5th generation?
Gaming doesn't make people voilent, lag does

<Dimotane> I think deep down, when we're honest with ourselves... we're all a pregnant male elf.
girlysprite
Silver Contributor

PostAuthor: Hi Mate » Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:46 pm

Thats aweomse! Go Noobs! *whistles and claps*
Hi Mate
Apprentice Scholar

PostAuthor: Orleron » Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:16 pm

I don't think there's 12 generations, but there are at least 5 or 6.

I know we've talked about it on the boards, so someone can try searching.

1. 1%'ers are definitely first
2. Second Generation - these were the guys who could still get uber gear
3. Third Generation - This was after the first magic item trade in was done

6 or 7. BioWeder's
8. In-between BioWed and Googlers
9. Googlenoobers
"Truth has no form."
--Idries Shah

World of Avlis Page

Avlis Project FAQ
Orleron

PostAuthor: Khaelindra » Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:24 pm

I'm generation 4...that's spring 2003...

I think the first few generations were:

1: 1%-ers
2: from after the first trade-in but before the big second trade-in, end 2002 very early 2003 (people like Amonien, Green Raven, Alladorn, Sir Kaelyn)
3: from early 2003, when some really good stuff was still being sold in shops, but after the second trade-in (+3 elven chainmail, mythril splint) (people like Mowghina, Ayren Milen, Jade, ?Vroshnak?)
4: after the big items but when there was still a load of goodies to be found (every orc and lizardman dropped magical weapons, +5 items COULD still be found in random drops), (people like Kered, Divinia, ?Tangleroot?)

It gets blurry after that, but a few generation points are:

* magic item drops fixed (new drop-system marked the end of fighters becoming millionaires easily)
* Bio-Wednesday (these were generation 6 IIRC)
* again drops fixed ("no more" +3 items for lvls 21+)
* after the Adventurer Packs went out (damn, those were fun....and sometimes exploitable... 8)
Lady Divinia Cecil, Combat Medic; Frederique Moriana, Dragon Avalanche; Amber, redhead Bandit Mascotte; Khaelindra, Mystic Archer

AbominationFascination: "Powergaming without RP is masturbatory and RP without combat and growth is fluffy poseurism."

Gary Gygax wrote:
A Master role player is one who is willing and able to bend their character concept to make the game more enjoyable for all involved.

Everybody Loves Paula (tm)
Khaelindra
Contributor

Timezone: GMT+1

PostAuthor: Krator » Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:47 pm

Bah, makes me kinda sad how the generations are defined: by gear.

I'll make a wiki page tomorrow.
Playing as: Sir Douglas Hope of Gorethar, old school paladin | Krator Blackfist, gold mage | Warren, half nymph barbarian
Krator
Elder Sage

PostAuthor: Tangleroot » Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:54 pm

4: after the big items but when there was still a load of goodies to be found (every orc and lizardman dropped magical weapons, +5 items COULD still be found in random drops), (people like Kered, Divinia, ?Tangleroot?)

Yeah, I think I'm in that generation because I remember the talk about lizardman spears. Never got any good drops though, and I do mean until this point. Not even a +2 item ever dropped for me, so the chance was probably pretty small even then. I remember adventure packs as well... loved them :)
Tangleroot
Silver Member

PostAuthor: spokeydonkey » Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:06 am

Krator wrote:Bah, makes me kinda sad how the generations are defined: by gear.

I think they're more defined by the systems in place at the time, and the unique one is the bio-wedders who are defined by a massive influx of players due to advertising. Maybe the google influx will be a generation too. It's just been that a ton of the major system changes early on dealt with lowering the magic item level. Then there was persistence and crafting.

4. Major persistence code went in: corpses, p-locations, p-chests.
5. Early crafting (before XP nerfs and balances)
6/7. BioWeder's
9. Googlenoobers
spokeydonkey
Sage

PostAuthor: Sunscream » Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:21 am

The first generation post was by entropy here http://www.avlis.org/viewtopic.php?t=18430&start=0

It's more to do with pre or post removal of the bioloot scripts than before or after the item trade-in.

eNTrOpY wrote:"Make the monsters harder": I'd have to disagree with this. We have 4 "generations" of characters on Avlis by my estimation.

1 - Those that have been here since basically the beginning and have stashes (though now reduced) of fairly high level magic. These characters however, leave most of that magic in their stashes because they've insane custom gear from the 2 trade ins that have been run in the past. This generation is pretty small. Infact, I'd say it's members may be limited to the 1%ers. This group of about 5 players will survive anything you throw at them unless a DM mods the creature's stats to 50 each.

2 - Those that have been here since mid-august/september 2002. These characters have quite a bit of good magic, +3's and a few items that qualify as "Balor Loot" as those we are part of generation 1 were fond of calling it. Many of these have custom gear, but nowhere near the power of the gear of generation 1. These characters can survive most of the challenges of Avlis (most of the static spawns), but encounter difficulties with many of the creatures used by DMs in their plotlines (Sereg, Hugar). I'd guess this group is a bit larger then generation 1, and it includes the likes of Amonien, Peregryne, Timo Karr, Green Raven, Alladorn, and so on.

3 - Characters that started on Avlis after "Balor Loot" was cut off but before the Underdark stopped spitting out +3's like they grew on trees. These are much more abundant than generation 2, and vastly outnumber generation 1. These characters can survive many of the challenges of Avlis, but by survive I mean the bare meaning of survive. Throw some of the dual hammer wielding dwarven mercs at them and they'll be in for a good fight. Throw many of them into the Death Archers den in the Lost River, and they'll get screwed. Hugar and the Sereg will eat these fellows for lunch.

4 - Characters that started on Avlis after the custom loot script was put in place, stopping the distrubution of +3's from chests almost all together. This group is the only group that is "growing" as the requisites to join the other 3 groups pretty much no longer exist on Avlis. Their +3's are going to be obtained from people from the other 3 generations or from DM quests. They survive the more mundane challenges of Avlis. Show them a dual hammer dwarven merc or two, and they have to run. Hugar and the Sereg: We call this generation cannon fodder.

Looking at these 4 generations and the number distrubution between them, I'd have to saw that monster difficulty is good where it is, if not a bit higher then it should be. The higher end Sereg, IMO, were built to challenge generation 1, the 1%ers. Every other generation absolutely fears Nwal'maer. 3 or more of them can literally trash an army of PCs unless the PC's pulls off some impressive tactics.

Generation 2 also has some monsters that are a good challenge for them. Those in the Lost River are a good example.

Generations 3 and 4 however, can meet stiff resistance from the default Bioware encounters found in the Lost River, and in the mercenaries found in the Wilderness. These generations are also the most abundant among our players.

As is, many of Avlis's monsters seem to be built to challenge generations 1 and 2. Making monsters harder is only going to stave off boredom for these 2 generations, consisting of an ever decreasing percentage of the server population. Leaving the monsters as they are, except for a few areas tailored specifically for epic levels, would be my suggestion. Those few areas tailored would exist much as the Lost River seems to exist for many of the current players of Avlis, a place to avoid unless you wish certain death.

My thoughts, long winded and drawn out. Sorry you asked Orl? :D
Sunscream
Master Sage

Timezone: GMT-4

PostAuthor: Orleron » Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:41 am

Awesome find!

That post was from 2 and a half years ago.
"Truth has no form."
--Idries Shah

World of Avlis Page

Avlis Project FAQ
Orleron

PostAuthor: Alexandru Stanicu » Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:55 am

2: from after the first trade-in but before the big second trade-in, end 2002 very early 2003 (people like Amonien, Green Raven, Alladorn, Sir Kaelyn)

Nope I am second generation and We were here before the first item trade in. there was still uber loot if you hung with the 1%'ers and Alvis consisted of Mikona and about 3-4 rows of of M'Check (ie on hte Wilderness server). THe second server was ban spanking new. I am 100% sure of this becuase I built several rows of the Wilderness after I joined the team around Nov 2002.

I would think that this generation would accurately be called the 2%'ers. :)

Other members of this generation would be:

Ashlynn
Reinstag
Choral Dances
Green Raven
Chiatroll
Sixthear
Sili
et al
Alexandru Stanicu
Legacy DM
Legacy DM

Timezone: CST
DM Avatar: The Hammer

PostAuthor: Themicles » Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:41 am

Depending on the list, I'm either late second generation, early third, or mid-third.

Good find on the old on from Ent.
A wise man does not dwell on his past. He learns from it, he grows from it, and then moves ahead into his future.

And some wise words from a wise man. :P
Orleron wrote:You have to excuse Themi. Tact, diplomacy, and softness are not his best traits, but he does not mean anything by his writing. He's a nice guy. You just get used to it after a while because he doesn't seem to learn. :)
Themicles
CoPaP Ambassador

PostAuthor: fyrmin » Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:25 am

spokeydonkey wrote:
Krator wrote:Bah, makes me kinda sad how the generations are defined: by gear.

I think they're more defined by the systems in place at the time, and the unique one is the bio-wedders who are defined by a massive influx of players due to advertising. Maybe the google influx will be a generation too. It's just been that a ton of the major system changes early on dealt with lowering the magic item level. Then there was persistence and crafting.

4. Major persistence code went in: corpses, p-locations, p-chests.
6/7. BioWeder's
9. Googlenoobers

hey jewbags, what are we? you've piqued my interest! pique! 3?
Kumar: How were Katie Holmes' tits?
Goldstein: You know the Holocaust?
Kumar: Yeah?
Goldstein: Picture the opposite of that!
Kumar: Nice!
fyrmin
Scholar

PostAuthor: Khaelindra » Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:27 am

spokeydonkey wrote:4. Major persistence code went in: corpses, p-locations, p-chests.

Divinia started in April 2003, and p-chests were already active, so that is a correct mark. However, crafting was already live as well.

I really think gen-4 was ended with the xp-code change (the 2-5 xp code for CR 3+ being introduced) and the removal of standard dropping magic items from monsters in combination with CR-related gold-drops regarding both amount and frequency. It did create a real difference as from before you had the "easy orc-/lizardman-rampage-millionaires" and afterwards you had mostly or only the "Mikona-rogue millionaires". Gen-4 was the last generation which could, no matter the class, put down a million for a Greater Belt for instance. Of course now we have the XXX-crafters-easy-millionaires, but that's another story. Later 2004- first half 2005 at least saw few new millionaires.
Lady Divinia Cecil, Combat Medic; Frederique Moriana, Dragon Avalanche; Amber, redhead Bandit Mascotte; Khaelindra, Mystic Archer

AbominationFascination: "Powergaming without RP is masturbatory and RP without combat and growth is fluffy poseurism."

Gary Gygax wrote:
A Master role player is one who is willing and able to bend their character concept to make the game more enjoyable for all involved.

Everybody Loves Paula (tm)
Khaelindra
Contributor

Timezone: GMT+1

PostAuthor: tygermoon » Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:34 am

We had a lot of brand new folks at the Visi Festival this weekend-- we handed out approximately 30 - 35 packs...

I am pretty sure the majority of them were brand new, because of the questions they asked in tells. ;)

So, looks like the influx has been a good one!

-Tyger-
Luciano de Crescenzo wrote:We are, each of us angels with only one wing; and we can only fly by embracing one another.

Stephane Mellarne wrote:Every soul is a melody which needs renewing.
tygermoon
Contributor

PostAuthor: Nob » Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:55 am

So I guess it would be like what?

1: 1%ers
2: Balor Loot
3: Post Balor Loot/Pre-Chest Nerf
4: Post Chest-Nerf, Major Persistence, Pre-Monster Nerf
5: Early Crafting, Pre-Monster Nerf (Aka Lizard/Drangonari/slaver Millionaire gen)
6: Early Crafting, Post-Monster Nerf
7: First Generation CoPaP linkers (Some got a head start and went off to "unadjusted" worlds that hadn't been properly vetted)
8: Biowedders
9: Second Generation CoPaP Linkers - Second Wave Biowedders (from the CoPaP feature)
10: Post-Link Severage Generation
11: Googlenoob?
Nob
Elder DM
Elder DM

DM Avatar: Dead but still a Dreamer

PostAuthor: Thalarian Arc'Thass » Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:01 am

A hearty welcome from me too to all new players!
There were several newbie friendly events going on this weekend, just because we saw that there were so many new players around.

It's essential for this community to get fresh blood and I'm very happy to see that we are still attracting people with this old game.
So you old timers, what the boss said, give those new guys a hearty welcome and show them the ropes! :P
Thalarian Arc'Thass

PostAuthor: kombinat » Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:20 am

There's been no mention of the Mythos link, that'd also indicate a generation I'd imagine.
Be mindful of the prayers you send
Pray hard but pray with care
For the tears that you are crying now
Are just your answered prayers

kombinat

DM Avatar: Senath

PostAuthor: Krator » Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:54 am

I think the answer is somewhere in between what Nob posted and what spokeydonkey posted, with Entropy's old post correctly defining the first few generations.

Something like this?

1. 1%'ers - Those 5? PCs
2. Second Generation - Pre trade in.
3. Third Generation - Post trade in, pre-static loot nerf. (Lizards, Drangonari, etc)
4. Fourth Generation - After the static loot nerf.
6. Avlis Bioware Wednesday - 'BioWedders' - Wednesday, Jun 02 2004
7. CoPaP Bioware Wednesday - Wednesday Sep 01 2004 and Sep 08 2004.
8. NWNX2 Bioware Wednesay - Wednesday, Jan 05 2005
8. Goobs (The official name!) - After Avlis started advertising on Google Ads.

'In between' generations don't count, and shouldn't be mentioned, nor crafting and the persistance code: Characters who were made after that aren't really that different from those before, apart from being older.
Krator
Elder Sage

PostAuthor: Alphonse » Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:59 am

Good newbie influx?

BAH!!!

BAH!! I tells ya

Wheres all the evil newbies?
Irreverence Awards 05 :most Ineffectual PC, honourable mention for most likely to give/recieve Spite

Islands of the Lost Head DM
Alphonse
Master Sage

Next

Return to The Avlis Project: General Discussion