Uploaded by: Ronan
    Uploaded: Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:41 pm

Links Menu

Death and Dying

General discussion about Avlis

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Dungeon Masters

Death and Dying

PostAuthor: Dupree » Mon Jul 08, 2002 1:55 am

So I play on Avlis tonight... Myself and a female Elven monk party up and head off to find some adventure... we finally decide to try out the death thing, so I kill her with her permission. She dies, I grab her death token from her body. All her items were still on her body. The death token thingy was HEAVY. I guess that's a good thing. She gets off her plane and rezzes at the city gates. I get PK'd on my way to meet her and I die...

Now, clarify these things for me if you can... When you die, you will be allowed to use your items on the plane correct? When you escape from the plane, you are naked, and about dead. There were all kinds of bodies at the gate. I ran back to my origianl point of death and it appeared as though my body had been looted. So I rez with nothing? And anyone in my party has to carry my body and all my gear?

Mad pking at the city gates too :)
Dupree
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: Orleron » Mon Jul 08, 2002 4:23 am

This is the next phase in the death implementation.

When you die, your items go onto your corpse and you are wisked away to the plane that matches your alignment.

Now once on this plane, you SEEM to still have your items, but in fact you don't. They are illusory. You can use them while you are on that plane..... Because when the game is fully implemented you will not be able to just walk off the plane, you will have to do some sort of small task (that takes 1 or 2 minutes) to get off the plane.

But once you do that task, (or take the temporary trigger exit), you are brought back to the world of the living, and all those illusory items go away. Yes, you are nekkid.

You must go find your corpse and loot it before someone else does. Now I can change the looting rights on the corpse, but I'm not going to deal with that until we see what goes on in the real game.

If someone looks inside your corpse, they will find a corpse token. Effectively, this is your body, and if they want to drag your carcas to a healer to raise you, they can. But bodies are heavy. 100 lbs to be exact. (Evidently your soul weighs about 50 to 100 lbs.... hehe)

The advantage of Raise Dead or Ressurrection, though they are not implemented yet (I'm trying), is that they can get you back from your death plane very FAST. So if your buddy ressurects you while you are in the middle of your quest to leave Elysium, ZIP BANG. You are ripped out of Elysium and brought back to your buddy.

So yes, if you die, your party should grab all your stuff and wait for you to come back from your planar quest. OR they should grab your stuff AND your death token and go raise you somehow so you can bypass your planar quest.

Dying sucks... as it should. Silk and I talked about a range of possibilities going from infinite respawn to permanent death, and we figured this one would be a nice medium. It takes some time out of your day to die.... but it doesn't totally kill you forever.
"Truth has no form."
--Idries Shah

World of Avlis Page

Avlis Project FAQ
Orleron
World Advisor, Co-founder

Timezone: GMT-5

PostAuthor: Orleron » Mon Jul 08, 2002 4:26 am

Here's a secret hint... I put a debug line of code in one of my scripts to test something out, and I haven't set it back yet.

The debug line lets you resurrect somebody by casting cure light wounds on their death corpse.

Go try it and see if it works.
"Truth has no form."
--Idries Shah

World of Avlis Page

Avlis Project FAQ
Orleron

Timezone: GMT-5

PostAuthor: Dupree » Mon Jul 08, 2002 12:46 pm

Secret hints rule! Course, I'll have to try that later tonight...

It all sounds very, very good.... Death should hurt! Hehehe... I was just a tad unclear about what happens to all your items and such.
Dupree
Scholar of Fools

Return to The Avlis Project: General Discussion