M'Chek - (0)
Mikona - (0)
Wilderness - (0)
Visimontium - (0)
Underdark - (0)
Total players: 2
Gallery

Links Menu

XP Code Changes III: Chuck Norris Returns!

General discussion about Avlis

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Dungeon Masters

PostAuthor: loki70 » Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:32 pm

Okay, still missing why my level 13 is not getting experience from CR 4 baddies. I thought he would get some for any creature from 3-23, even if only 1 or 2. I hope this isn't bugging you. Just trying to understand.
loki70
QA Resource

Timezone: gmt -7

PostAuthor: Khaelindra » Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:24 pm

loki70 wrote:Okay, still missing why my level 13 is not getting experience from CR 4 baddies. I thought he would get some for any creature from 3-23, even if only 1 or 2. I hope this isn't bugging you. Just trying to understand.

As far as i know: if it's more than 7 CR lower then you get no xp for it UNLESS it's still CR10+. So a lvl 23 would get 1-2 for a CR 14, but a lvl 13 gets nil for a CR 4 because it's not up to the minimum to warrant the token 1d2 xp.

I hope. :?
Lady Divinia Cecil, Combat Medic; Frederique Moriana, Dragon Avalanche; Amber, redhead Bandit Mascotte; Khaelindra, Mystic Archer

AbominationFascination: "Powergaming without RP is masturbatory and RP without combat and growth is fluffy poseurism."

Gary Gygax wrote:
A Master role player is one who is willing and able to bend their character concept to make the game more enjoyable for all involved.

Everybody Loves Paula (tm)
Khaelindra
Contributor

Timezone: GMT+1

PostAuthor: Krator » Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:28 pm

13 - 7 = 6
Playing as: Sir Douglas Hope of Gorethar, old school paladin | Krator Blackfist, gold mage | Warren, half nymph barbarian
Krator
Elder Sage

Timezone: GMT

PostAuthor: Khaelindra » Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:35 pm

As Deider told me, with the return to a bit of the old code, the threshold was again tightened from -10 to +10 CR back to -7 to +7 CR to give good xp...i think...
Lady Divinia Cecil, Combat Medic; Frederique Moriana, Dragon Avalanche; Amber, redhead Bandit Mascotte; Khaelindra, Mystic Archer

AbominationFascination: "Powergaming without RP is masturbatory and RP without combat and growth is fluffy poseurism."

Gary Gygax wrote:
A Master role player is one who is willing and able to bend their character concept to make the game more enjoyable for all involved.

Everybody Loves Paula (tm)
Khaelindra
Contributor

Timezone: GMT+1

PostAuthor: loki70 » Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:17 pm

Khaelindra wrote:As Deider told me, with the return to a bit of the old code, the threshold was again tightened from -10 to +10 CR back to -7 to +7 CR to give good xp...i think...
See, that would be the part that people keep forgetting to tell me. I know it's somewhere in the 20+ pages of comments on the changes, but after the first 10, honestly, I just stopped reading
loki70
QA Resource

Timezone: gmt -7

PostAuthor: Aeveras » Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:26 pm

Actually, it's on page one.

- Aeveras
Aeveras
Team Member; Retired with Honors

PostAuthor: spokeydonkey » Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:13 pm

<Person 1> with XXXX our average level is 22
<Person 1> which is hot
<Person 1> but there's anti tow
<Person 2> jesus christ
<Person 1> and with YYYY we have 27
<Person 3> 27 is uncool
<Person 1> and the deep elementals are CR 21
<Person 1> so that's not so hot
<Person 3> deep elementals spawn in 4s
<Person 2> if anyone in my party ever starts number crunching like that I'm going to quit.
<Person 3> so the first one is cr24
<Person 1> that should be some sexy xp?

Calculations > RP.
spokeydonkey
Sage

PostAuthor: deltak » Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:47 pm

:koa: :wallbash:

deltak
Lord of Blithering Idiots

PostAuthor: Arandil » Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:03 pm

What level was this epic you partied with Deider? Theres a huge difference between epics of lvl25-27 and lvls 28+, in terms of the ability to get xp as far as I can tell. So saying "I partied with an epic and we got tons of xp" doesn't mean that much. Somewhere around the upper 20s there is an xp wall you hit, where there are very, very few critters within 7 lvls of you.
Starslayers example may also be flawed, if a DM was spawning in all sorts of CR levels..thats not a normal example of a dungeon crawl. Be interested to hear some feedback from the epics nearer 30 as to how they're getting on.

Arandil
Elder Sage

PostAuthor: Deider » Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:05 pm

spokeydonkey wrote:Calculations > RP.

Simple solution: don't calculate.

Very little was actually changed. It's like chimpanzee and human DNA - it's what, 98, 99% similar?

You now all just happen to know what's been 'under the hood' for almost 2 years now, plus what's changed. You never used to calculate a year and a half ago, so why calculate now? The CR difference stuff hasn't changed. Why is it such a big factor now? Because you know about it.

This is precisely why I didn't want to give a lot of details, because you get bogged down in them and then you blame me for you bogging yourselves down with them. You want to sue a fast food chain for spilling coffee on yourself, you want to sue a tobacco company because you got cancer smoking cigarettes, you want to sue a restaurant because you got fat eating their food, knock yourselves out.

You want to bust my balls because you don't want to calculate shit? Here's a wacky idea - put the ballpeen hammer, the cheeseburger, and the abacus down, and STFU and game on, for gods' sake.

Further complaints about the extreme stress you get by calculating CR and XP and party size and level, as well as more ultimatums about you quitting if the xp system isn't custom-tailored to your PC's class and level, can be mailed to my newest e-mail addy, circularfile@chucknorrisroundkicksyoutothehead.org.
Deider
Uber Posting Whor3

Timezone: GMT -8

PostAuthor: Katroine » Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:08 pm

Epic, near 30, Arandil.
Not getting on all that well.

I'd post details but I sorta stopped paying attention, but I believe I am at -3000 for the last week or so. It's not been my week. :)
"However friendly they may seem, they must be corrupt to the core, and I must never forget that."
Katroine

Timezone: Mountain

PostAuthor: Deider » Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:12 pm

Arandil wrote:What level was this epic you partied with Deider? Theres a huge difference between epics of lvl25-27 and lvls 28+, in terms of the ability to get xp as far as I can tell. So saying "I partied with an epic and we got tons of xp" doesn't mean that much. Somewhere around the upper 20s there is an xp wall you hit, where there are very, very few critters within 7 lvls of you.
Starslayers example may also be flawed, if a DM was spawning in all sorts of CR levels..thats not a normal example of a dungeon crawl. Be interested to hear some feedback from the epics nearer 30 as to how they're getting on.

I partied with a lvl23, who was lvl24 by the end. I was 10th lvl, hit lvl11 by the end. AFAIC, epic means 20+.

Anything over lvl25, you hit the wall. This is known to me, the team, and our relatives, roommates, and pets. It was known before we made the changes.

Like I've told others, if you want the code reverted back to the old 'epics can camp like there's no tomorrow' version, then convince Orl to fire my cracker ass. If you really can't handle the changes, then I wish you luck and hope you have fun wherever you end up playing. Game on, if you can find the time to do so between bouts of whack-a-mole with my scrotum. :)
Deider
Uber Posting Whor3

PostAuthor: Alphonse » Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:16 pm

Deider wrote: Game on, if you can find the time to do so between bouts of whack-a-mole with my scrotum. :)

hahahahahahahahaha :D
Irreverence Awards 05 :most Ineffectual PC, honourable mention for most likely to give/recieve Spite

Islands of the Lost Head DM
Alphonse
Master Sage

PostAuthor: spokeydonkey » Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:16 pm

Deider wrote:
spokeydonkey wrote:Calculations > RP.

You now all just happen to know what's been 'under the hood' for almost 2 years now, plus what's changed. You never used to calculate a year and a half ago, so why calculate now? The CR difference stuff hasn't changed. Why is it such a big factor now? Because you know about it.

You took all the subtlety out of my point there.

The new XP system is fine as a level 28. Levelling from dungeoning has been slowed to where it no longer feels like a requirement, and role playing feels like more of a reward than something you do on the side while grinding to keep up with the Joneses. DM cookies seem to be jucier for RP and event rewards as well, and there are new non-dungeon methods of XP. And finally, since the War ended, I've yet to be involved in an event where it feels like someone's levels won the day over RP. All in all, things are heading in a much more promising direction.
Last edited by spokeydonkey on Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spokeydonkey
Sage

PostAuthor: Isengrim » Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:19 pm

Tsk, tsk, all this Chuck Norris style of discussion is unnecessary here. Unless you really want to convince the old epics to go away. Or do you? :?

Yesterday, we made a short xp run with a group of low-to-mid epic PCs (3) and non epic (2) PCs which brought us fun, decent xp and only one death, caused by my mistake in addition. I don't know if that would be the same if we brought a lvl 30 or so with us, but I do not expect much of a difference. The new code can be survived, even by the epics... just with some more effort on their side. However, the "roundkick argumentation" isn't very efficient here, I believe... :wink:
Just my 2 gp.
As I could never refuse a woman... ;)
More or less proud player of:

Ialath Fentellon,
V'sher Shal'ess,
Vittoria Boreas

DanishPastry wrote: Wtf, "Damar Ogdem's Corpse"! That can only mean... HE HAS ASCENDED TO GODHOOD!!11

I killed a PC and all I got was this lousy T-shirt... http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0455.html
Isengrim
Silver Contributor

PostAuthor: Deider » Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:20 pm

spokeydonkey wrote:You took all the subtlety out of my point there.

Sorry, but these days I'm about as subtle as a fart in a library.

Isengrim: I'd like to see how 'efficient' you are after someone's run back & forth over your twig & berries with a steamroller for about three weeks. :wink:
Last edited by Deider on Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deider
Uber Posting Whor3

PostAuthor: NecroZombie » Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:20 pm

WalkerTexasRanger wrote:You want to bust my balls because you don't want to calculate shit? Here's a wacky idea - put the ballpeen hammer, the cheeseburger, and the abacus down, and STFU and game on, for gods' sake.

^^ :good:
NecroZombie

Timezone: GMT -5

PostAuthor: szabot » Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:21 pm

Deider wrote:

You mean I'm probably not getting away with that even when I think I am?
CoEMF
:devil:
Member of the MadKat Fan Club
szabot

Timezone: Central (GMT-5)
DM Avatar: Wilsash

PostAuthor: spokeydonkey » Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:25 pm

szabot wrote:
Deider wrote:

I don't think he's referring to ol' SBD.
spokeydonkey
Sage

PostAuthor: Isengrim » Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:26 pm

Deider wrote:
Isengrim: I'd like to see how 'efficient' you are after someone's run back & forth over your twig & berries with a steamroller for about three weeks. :wink:

Yeah, I know and I can imagine... You know, that was just a hopeless rambling of me. :P
As I could never refuse a woman... ;)
More or less proud player of:

Ialath Fentellon,
V'sher Shal'ess,
Vittoria Boreas

DanishPastry wrote: Wtf, "Damar Ogdem's Corpse"! That can only mean... HE HAS ASCENDED TO GODHOOD!!11

I killed a PC and all I got was this lousy T-shirt... http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0455.html
Isengrim
Silver Contributor

PostAuthor: Grunt » Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:29 pm

spokeydonkey wrote:
szabot wrote:
Deider wrote:

Nope he's referring to the ol' "Trumpet o' Gorethar", usually heard after Thror has 5 or 6 dwarven ales...
FletcherWiki

*Stepping out of a portal*
Nawen Amakiir: there he is.. *smirks* someone had to make an entrance
Fletcher Millstone: MILLSTONE! *arms held high*
Lilliana Be'letane: You're the worst, Fletcher.
Grunt
CCC
CCC

Timezone: I AM A TIME LORD

PostAuthor: szabot » Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:50 pm

Grunt wrote:
spokeydonkey wrote:
szabot wrote:
Deider wrote:

Nope he's referring to the ol' "Trumpet o' Gorethar", usually heard after Thror has 5 or 6 dwarven ales...

At least you can blame the Trumpet o' Gorethar on the squeeky chair or the crack in the floor or something like that, but what do you blame the SBD on? Rotten eggs in your pocket? Shit on your shoes?
CoEMF
szabot

PostAuthor: Grunt » Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:00 pm

szabot wrote:
Grunt wrote:
spokeydonkey wrote:
szabot wrote:
Deider wrote:

At least you can blame the Trumpet o' Gorethar on the squeeky chair or the crack in the floor or something like that, but what do you blame the SBD on? Rotten eggs in your pocket? Shit on your shoes?

1. You must have never heard it. The Trumpet o' Gorethar can only be blamed on an Elephant falling to it's death from a 500 foot cliff.

2. In Sinomi's case the SBD can be blamed on the undead following him around. It's not like he's hanging a pine tree automobile air freshener around it's neck...
FletcherWiki

*Stepping out of a portal*
Nawen Amakiir: there he is.. *smirks* someone had to make an entrance
Fletcher Millstone: MILLSTONE! *arms held high*
Lilliana Be'letane: You're the worst, Fletcher.
Grunt
CCC
CCC

Timezone: I AM A TIME LORD

PostAuthor: szabot » Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:02 pm

*tosses the air fresheners* I thought those were working.
CoEMF
szabot

PostAuthor: TripleAught » Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:13 pm

*Tumbles off the pyramid*

Ouch
The Texas Meet 2007 wrote:Come over here and take off your pants.

The Texas Meet 2010 wrote:I can't unhear that.
TripleAught
World Leader
World Leader

PreviousNext

Return to The Avlis Project: General Discussion