Mikona - (0)
Total players: 2
Gallery

Links Menu

Avlis Side Kick - looking for comments and testers

General discussion about Avlis

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Dungeon Masters

PostAuthor: epiktetus » Mon Jan 31, 2005 1:08 am

The first version has gone out to the testers. If they all give the thumbs up, then I'll do a public beta and post it here. I'm loving all of the ideas, most of them will have to wait for the next version, but that's ok... right?

Let me try to address some of the questions before-hand though:

1. No, I stripped the passwords out before I posted it. The first time you launch a server connection, it asks you to store a password.

2. The server status page now points to the CoPaP server status, it use to point to the one here.

3. The GS name/ INI edit thing is a good idea, and I think I could implement that fairly easily, but not until next version... sorry. I also have some beyond that for easy login...

4. I tried to have a check for the server being up, but I couldn't figure it out. The NWN server connection isn't like a normal server connection, it just doesn't respond on that port with an "I'm here" so it always looks like it's down. Any help on that front would be appreciated.
Σpiktetus
Healer of the Order of O'ma
Proprietor of H.E.A.L.

"Sacrificing minions: is there any problem it CAN'T solve?"
http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantIT ... ipt?SK=192
epiktetus
Prince of Bloated Discourse

PostAuthor: Jo' d » Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:01 am

Always wanted a sidekick....what class/level is he?
Seriously, as a complete dummy when it comes to programs and such, my hat is off to you for all the work it must have taken....! I have always wanted a conversation log, but feared the opening, moving, deleting and even touching of files....ok, I'll go back to my cave now...c'mon Mabel, *bonks her on the head with his club and drags her by her hair to the cave*

J

Jo' d
Silver Member

PostAuthor: epiktetus » Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:05 am

Jo' d wrote:I have always wanted a conversation log, but feared the opening, moving, deleting and even touching of files....

That was my main concern, you're not the only one. I'm a geek that does this stuff for fun, but I've helped a few others enter the realm, and they aren't all geeks.

If I hadn't mentioned it before, there is one feature I'm particularly proud of. Let me see if I can dig up a screen shot for those not testing.... *shuffles papers around, digs through drawers* Ah, here's one:

Those options up there... they actually change the NWNPlayer.ini file for you. :twisted: So much for digging around where you don't belong... forget trying to spell out "ClientChatLogging" correctly. Not to mention that not everyone knows about the "ClientEntireChatWindowLogging" option.
Σpiktetus
Proprietor of H.E.A.L.

epiktetus

PostAuthor: JollyOrc » Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:23 am

*me wants*
JollyOrc
QA Resource

Timezone: GMT+1

PostAuthor: thewaka » Mon Jan 31, 2005 1:24 pm

Marleh wrote:One tiny problem. If the server goes down, there is no way to check to see if the server has come back up yet.

This problem exists with the desktop shortcuts/ batch file logins currently available, so this program doesn't create a new problem.

Second, I second what Themicles said. I currently have my desktop icons in a row and move the one logged off of up one so I can see which I was on last. I don't have any alts so this works for now. Themicles idea would be ideal.

Third, I really want this, too. :) Thanks for the work.

thewaka
Squire of Babble

PostAuthor: epiktetus » Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:51 pm

JollyOrc wrote:*me wants*

Patience my friends, a couple more bugs to work out, then I'll post v1 and start work on v2 (which should include the log analyser portion). I'm hoping to have v1 out by the end of the week, but no guarantees.

thewaka wrote:I currently have my desktop icons in a row and move the one logged off of up one so I can see which I was on last. I don't have any alts so this works for now.

The current app remembers the last server you logged in to, but not out of. I'm hoping to find an easy way to figure out where you logged out of. It's not stored in any file that I can find, but I might be able to figure it out by watching the NWNclient's connections. Needless to say, this isn't likely to be easy, especially since I have a goal of keeping the memory usage and CPU cycles to a min while the game is running.

I would welcome any suggestions people have out there, by the way.
Σpiktetus
Proprietor of H.E.A.L.

epiktetus

PostAuthor: thewaka » Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:32 pm

epiktetus wrote:The current app remembers the last server you logged in to, but not out of. I'm hoping to find an easy way to figure out where you logged out of.

If this proves too difficult or too taxing on the system, how about radio buttons or the server order can be changed up/down by the user? Then after logging out, we could select the last server we were on, or move it to the top of the list. Would something like one of these be easier? Of course, only good for one character.

thewaka
Squire of Babble

PostAuthor: Arkonswrath » Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:09 pm

After testing this for a bit, the initial useage of it is excellent, including the addition of the -dmc command. Works like a charm. So far I have come across no adverse issues with this device. Great work.
Life is what you make of it... So remember, if it sucks, it's your own damn fault!!! Stop whining and deal with it.
Arkonswrath
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: epiktetus » Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:14 pm

Arkonswrath wrote:Great work.

thewaka wrote:
epiktetus wrote:The current app remembers the last server you logged in to, but not out of. I'm hoping to find an easy way to figure out where you logged out of.

If this proves too difficult or too taxing on the system, how about radio buttons or the server order can be changed up/down by the user? Then after logging out, we could select the last server we were on, or move it to the top of the list. Would something like one of these be easier? Of course, only good for one character.

Yeah, I can do that. Of course it would require human intervention, but I guess it's better than not remembering where you were. And it would always default to the last server that you logged into. Then afterward you could choose which one you logged out of.

Hmmm
*scratches chin forgetting that Epiktetus is the one with a beard to scratch*
Σpiktetus
Proprietor of H.E.A.L.

epiktetus

PostAuthor: epiktetus » Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:31 pm

Σpiktetus
Proprietor of H.E.A.L.

epiktetus

PostAuthor: Georex » Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:25 pm

Excellent idea! Are you planning on porting this to Linux?
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
-David St. Hubbins-

Georex
Lord of Blithering Idiots

PostAuthor: epiktetus » Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:57 pm

Georex wrote:Excellent idea! Are you planning on porting this to Linux?

Forgive me, but...

:lol: LOL :lol: ROFL :lol:

*wipes away a tear while regaining composure*

Um, no. But I'd be happy to hand the source to anyone that would like to try.

Seriously, don't take me wrong, Linux is great and all. I've got a SUSE install around here somewhere that I play with now and then, but it's not exactly mainstream. I'd rather spend the time on new features for the Windows version. Sorry.
Σpiktetus
Proprietor of H.E.A.L.

epiktetus

PostAuthor: Eponine » Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:32 am

Looks very cool, is there a way to package it that does not require the .net stuff? Maybe just a zip file and some instructions on where to put stff?

Or is it more complicated than that?
Eponine
Scholar of Fools

Timezone: Pacific

PostAuthor: epiktetus » Sun Feb 06, 2005 8:20 pm

Eponine wrote:Looks very cool, is there a way to package it that does not require the .net stuff? Maybe just a zip file and some instructions on where to put stff?

Or is it more complicated than that?

Sorry it's a .Net thing. It's the program itself that needs the .Net framework. It's a trade-off for being able to write this thing in only a few hours (I think I'm somewhere around 20). It also keeps the actual program small.
Σpiktetus
Proprietor of H.E.A.L.

epiktetus

ASK

PostAuthor: phranque » Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:17 pm

Looks great, I just downloaded the beta and will give it a try later tonight. Thanks for putting this together!

phranque
Team Member; Retired with Honors

PostAuthor: Arcsylver » Sat Feb 12, 2005 12:25 am

I noticed that the Hala address is incorrect in the version of the program that I got from you.
Arcsylver
Scholar

PostAuthor: epiktetus » Sat Feb 12, 2005 1:53 am

Arcsylver wrote:I noticed that the Hala address is incorrect in the version of the program that I got from you.

Yes, the new version has that fixed, but will not overwrite the file from the old version, so you need to fix it on your own. Anyone new to the program will have the correct address.
Σpiktetus
Proprietor of H.E.A.L.

epiktetus

PostAuthor: ReallyStupidGuy » Sat Feb 12, 2005 8:18 am

I have but one sentence to say.....

YOU PEOPLE ARE DORKS!!

But, hey, so am I so I guess we are all one big happy family. Right? :twisted:
Bashthraka
Durub of the Zu'tah Shak Brotherhood
Advocate of the holy order of Valok
Soldier in the alpha corps
Journeyman of the 4A
ReallyStupidGuy
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: Nightface » Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:18 am

A suggestion of admittedly low importance: Can ASK check to see if the NWN CD is in the drive when ASK is started, and warn you if it's not? I tend to bounce between NWN and one or two other games, and always hate finding out I left the other CD in there when I try to log in.

Hey, I warned you it wasn't very important. :P
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own."
-Adam Savage of Mythbusters

"You can hear what's on my lips,
But you don't know what's on my mind"
-Nellie McKay, from the song, Sari
Nightface
Sage

PostAuthor: Nimlet » Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:38 pm

Why not just make use of the "favorites" list in the NWN game? That seems to work fine for me. Also, if I want to talk to my friends while I play without using the telephone, I usually get them on my TeamSpeak server (http://www.teamspeak.org).

Other than that, the program looks like an interesting idea. I like the instant "server status" option.
I am an Avlisite, not an Avlisian.
Nimlet
Whiney Peasant

PostAuthor: Zebranky » Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:54 pm

Just had an idea to keep track of the last server logged out of, but it requires a little action on the Team's part... add "This is Mikona/Elysia/Ferrell..." to the messages sent on login ("Welcome to Avlis", "You are now registered.", etc.) Then have ASK watch the client logs for such a line, and update the current server info when it occurs.
Code: Select all
<Zebranky> (Also, that would piss SO many people off. ;)
<Nob> That's why it's such a great idea, Zeb.
Zebranky
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: epiktetus » Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:37 pm

Zebranky wrote:Just had an idea to keep track of the last server logged out of, but it requires a little action on the Team's part... add "This is Mikona/Elysia/Ferrell..." to the messages sent on login ("Welcome to Avlis", "You are now registered.", etc.) Then have ASK watch the client logs for such a line, and update the current server info when it occurs.

I thought of this as well, but not only do I not want to ask the admins to do this, it wouldn't work for other worlds unless they also added such a line. I have another solution in mind, but it is going to take some time. If it works, then it will rock. I'll be able to add all sorts of cool features.
Σpiktetus
Proprietor of H.E.A.L.

epiktetus

PostAuthor: chiefsheep » Tue May 10, 2005 12:44 pm

*bump*

I use this great little tool each and every time I log in - as it has been a couple of months I thought I'd just ask how the development was going.
chiefsheep
Silver Lifer

PostAuthor: Talwin Hawkins » Tue May 10, 2005 12:47 pm

yeah seconded. great little proggy. i use it all the time.
Woodsmaster Talon Blade
Battle Sergeant of Le'Nofaythen'T'Nanshi
Former Hero of of Lonovanen'Hirefya

http://twitter.com/AJDSullivan
Talwin Hawkins
Team Member; Retired with Honors

Timezone: GMT+1

PostAuthor: girlysprite » Tue May 10, 2005 12:53 pm

oh Im so going to dl this. I already use a connection prog, looking much the same as yours, but doesnt have the times on it and no logger. :)
Gaming doesn't make people voilent, lag does

<Dimotane> I think deep down, when we're honest with ourselves... we're all a pregnant male elf.
girlysprite
Silver Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to The Avlis Project: General Discussion