Total players: 1
Gallery

Links Menu

Avlis Side Kick - looking for comments and testers

General discussion about Avlis

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Dungeon Masters

Avlis Side Kick - looking for comments and testers

PostAuthor: epiktetus » Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:21 pm

Well, I got sick of all the icons to servers and web sites on my desktop. As well as trying to walk my friends through editing batch files over the phone or email. So, I made what I call ASK or the Avlis Side Kick. I have big plans for the future, but for now my main goal was an easy-to-use program that would replace the icons on my desktop and eliminate the need for a CS degree just to log conversations.

They say a picture is worth 1024 words, this one is 11k:

So, now I need comments and people willing to test. I'll take a half-dozen or so testers for now. PM me if you're interested. As for comments, click the reply button :)
Σpiktetus
Healer of the Order of O'ma
Proprietor of H.E.A.L.

"Sacrificing minions: is there any problem it CAN'T solve?"
http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantIT ... ipt?SK=192
epiktetus
Prince of Bloated Discourse

PostAuthor: epiktetus » Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:24 pm

Doh, I already noticed a bug. At the time I took that screen shot it was 19:5 GMT. :oops: Hmmm, that doesn't sound quite right. Oh well, next version.
Σpiktetus
Proprietor of H.E.A.L.

epiktetus

PostAuthor: WrathOG777 » Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:30 pm

Make the log filenames in this format... or configureable.

YYYY-MM-DD HHmm-ss.html
2005-01-27 1429-31.html

Why? Because that way it sorts itself by name instead of be a huge directory of out of order stuff with month names spelled out, etc.

That is my opinion, not nessasarily anyone else's opinon, might just be, but that would be a coincodence, and damnit, sometimes the crap I write is not even my opinion either.
WrathOG777
Master Sage

PostAuthor: fyrmin » Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:30 pm

YOU FORGOT HTE WILDERNESSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111
Kumar: How were Katie Holmes' tits?
Goldstein: You know the Holocaust?
Kumar: Yeah?
Goldstein: Picture the opposite of that!
Kumar: Nice!
fyrmin
Scholar

PostAuthor: WrathOG777 » Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:31 pm

The wilderness is all mine!

That is my opinion, not nessasarily anyone else's opinon, might just be, but that would be a coincodence, and damnit, sometimes the crap I write is not even my opinion either.
WrathOG777
Master Sage

PostAuthor: epiktetus » Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:54 pm

fyrmin wrote:YOU FORGOT HTE WILDERNESSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111

Doh... That's easy enough to add. By the way, any new servers that are added can be easily inserted into the list with a right-click menu option.

Also, there's nothing that stops this program from being used for other servers as well (like Hala).

WrathOG777 wrote:Make the log filenames in this format... or configureable.

The logs are currently stored in a single file delimeted by date and time. I will soon be adding a log-viewer that includes the ability to search, colorize and filter. Then later I will include an export feature.

If you don't like my system, there's another option to run an external program after the game closes, then you can turn off my logger and just use your own. :) I thought of everything.
Σpiktetus
Proprietor of H.E.A.L.

epiktetus

PostAuthor: WrathOG777 » Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:59 pm

epiktetus wrote:...The logs are currently stored in a single file delimeted by date and time. I will soon be adding a log-viewer that includes the ability to search, colorize and filter. Then later I will include an export feature.

If you don't like my system, there's another option to run an external program after the game closes, then you can turn off my logger and just use your own. :) I thought of everything.

Would an oooh and aaahh do?

WrathOG777
Master Sage

PostAuthor: Psyco » Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:31 pm

One suggestion, add in a check box that will add "-dmc" to the connection string.
Player Housing info - This answers most questions people have. Read this before asking.
Psyco
Elder Sage

PostAuthor: Malathyre » Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:41 pm

Um...it looks neat, but um, I guess I'm a bit slow. What does it do?
"The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep!"--Your Horoscope for Today, Weird Al Yankovic
Malathyre
Sage

PostAuthor: epiktetus » Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:16 pm

Psyco wrote:One suggestion, add in a check box that will add "-dmc" to the connection string.

I guess I can add an "Additional command-line options" option... what does -dmc do?
Σpiktetus
Proprietor of H.E.A.L.

epiktetus

PostAuthor: Psyco » Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:18 pm

epiktetus wrote:
Psyco wrote:One suggestion, add in a check box that will add "-dmc" to the connection string.

I guess I can add an "Additional command-line options" option... what does -dmc do?

I will give you a clue, the c stands for client. now you have to guess the rest :-)
Player Housing info - This answers most questions people have. Read this before asking.
Psyco
Elder Sage

PostAuthor: epiktetus » Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:21 pm

Malathyre wrote:Um...it looks neat, but um, I guess I'm a bit slow. What does it do?

Excellent question:

1. Double-click a server to log straight to the character list screen. Just like the batch files that most are currently using.
2. The server list/password is much easier to edit than the batch files.
3. The options screen will update the NWNPlayer.ini file correctly to save your conversations.
4. After NWN exits, the conversation is saved to a master file that will later be able to be parsed by that "Conversation Log" button (right now it just opens notepad with the log file in it).
5. As you can see it has a converter for GMT to you local time. The local time-zone is taken from your system configuration, so no need to tell it where you are.
6. That's pertty much it for now, but I have plans for more if people are interested.
Σpiktetus
Proprietor of H.E.A.L.

epiktetus

PostAuthor: Malathyre » Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:26 pm

That sounds really neat. I don't currently use any of the features it has (except for chat logging, which I do the old fashioned and rather clunky way). However, I would use something like that if it were available. Nice work!
"The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep!"--Your Horoscope for Today, Weird Al Yankovic
Malathyre
Sage

PostAuthor: Wyrmwing » Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:37 pm

:shock:

wow..
Sadako Sasaki wrote:I will write peace on your wings, and you will fly all over the world.

Wyrmwing
Team Member; Retired with Honors

PostAuthor: chiefsheep » Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:43 pm

It looks great, simple, clean and useful, and is something I'd definitely use.

At the risk of stating the bleedin' obvious, I presume it will not come with any server passwords preinstalled. I'm sure it wouldn't, but if it did and noone had said anything I'm sure a team member would say something pretty quickly.......

ps - did I say I'd definitely use it :lol:
That bit where Theodan sees the Nazgul coming for him. It's a look that says:

"Bollocks. Orc Army. Oliphaunts...now this..it's really not my day, is it?"
chiefsheep
Silver Lifer

PostAuthor: Jskee » Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:59 pm

I am testing this program now, and I find that the chat logging is extremely helpful. I'm not familiar with any other way, but this is really simple to use.

Well done Epik! :-)

Jskee
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: Aldinvineda » Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:15 pm

It looks really convenient and easy to use, Epik.
I'd definitely use it.

Thanks for taking the time to make the program :D

Cheers,
:drink:
Aldi.
"A Master role player is one who is willing and able to bend their character concept to make the game more enjoyable for all involved." - Gary Gygax

"Good luck, Peace out and Game on." - Deider
Aldinvineda
Silver Member

PostAuthor: Nightface » Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:47 am

Sounds and looks pretty damn good. Excellent work.
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own."
-Adam Savage of Mythbusters

"You can hear what's on my lips,
But you don't know what's on my mind"
-Nellie McKay, from the song, Sari
Nightface
Sage

PostAuthor: Orleron » Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:53 am

Purty. Me like.

Like they said above... make sure it doesn't come with the passwords already installed. :)
"Truth has no form."
--Idries Shah

World of Avlis Page

Avlis Project FAQ
Orleron
World Advisor, Co-founder
World Advisor, Co-founder

Timezone: GMT-5

PostAuthor: Marleh » Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:00 am

One tiny problem. If the server goes down, there is no way to check to see if the server has come back up yet. And we all know what a problem it is when the ping is 3200 and 7 people are already trying to log in.

:cry: Otherwise, good work.
Marleh
QA Resource

PostAuthor: Nightface » Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:02 am

Oh, a few questions occurred to me:

1. Is the "www.Avlis.org" shortcut pictured going to be something that people can change, or even add other websites to? Might be a nice touch for those poor fools who have not yet sampled the glories of Avlis.

2. Is the "Server Status" a separate shortcut, or part of the Avlis.org shortcut? If separate, will it check any server in the list, even non-Avlis servers?

3. Will there be any functionality added to manage multiple player names? I know a few people who use different account names for various reasons, and it would be a nice feature to include in this.

I'll post more questions If anything else occurs to me.

Nightface
Sage

PostAuthor: Psyco » Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:07 am

Nightface wrote:Oh, a few questions occurred to me:

1. Is the "www.Avlis.org" shortcut pictured going to be something that people can change, or even add other websites to? Might be a nice touch for those poor fools who have not yet sampled the glories of Avlis.

Or change it to point to copap.org :-)

Nightface wrote:2. Is the "Server Status" a separate shortcut, or part of the Avlis.org shortcut?

again, server status page on copap would eb a good place.

even if it is released to the unwashed masses at some point, it would still make a good plug for copap

Nightface wrote:3. Will there be any functionality added to manage multiple player names? I know a few people who use different account names for various reasons, and it would be a nice feature to include in this.

GS name is handled by NWN after you connect, its not part of the connection string, so you would be hard pressed to have this manage it. the only way would be to edit the ini file that NWN gets its default from every time you want it to change GS name.
Psyco
Elder Sage

PostAuthor: Nightface » Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:05 am

Psyco wrote:Or change it to point to copap.org :-)

Psyco wrote:again, server status page on copap would eb a good place.

even if it is released to the unwashed masses at some point, it would still make a good plug for copap

Good ideas!

Psyco wrote:GS name is handled by NWN after you connect, its not part of the connection string, so you would be hard pressed to have this manage it. the only way would be to edit the ini file that NWN gets its default from every time you want it to change GS name.

Well, I had been thinking of writing a batch file to handle this situation. It would require a separate INI file for each name, like NWNPLAYER.DT for my duncantiv account, and NWNPLAYER.OLF for Olaf's (we sometimes share the one computer). Then, the batch file simply asks which account you want to play, and copies the approriate one over the NWNPLAYER.INI file. Surely a similar workaround would be easy for a program like ASK?

Nightface
Sage

PostAuthor: methuselah » Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:33 am

Nice and puurty. Me like. When will it be available for testing?

I would like to try it out a bit and see how it works :)
Dralix wrote:If there's one thing I've learned about you from these forums, it's that there are two sides to every issue ... and you are on both of them. ;)
Darkfire wrote:You have more balls then I do, because I'm still at my job taking it up the brown. Props to you methuselah.

methuselah
Apprentice Scholar

Timezone: EST

PostAuthor: Themicles » Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:48 pm

Nice idea, but I still prefer my shortcuts with custom Avlis icons. ;)

What I'd love to see is this idea taken a few steps further.

I'll try to explain this from the point of view of the user.

First program start, you get much what you already see in ASK. Your basic server list, and you fill in the passwords yourself. You choose the server you want to connect to, and connect. You then select your character and play. But, the program would stay open in the background, and when you log out, some how capture what character you were using, and what server you just logged out of. This would start a list of characters in another tab of the program.

Next time you start the program, you can either choose a server to log into, or choose a character from the list. If you choose a character, it connects you to the last server you logged the character out of. This would help prevent accidental server hopping. ;) It would also be nice for people like me, who don't play often, but like to stay consistent and log into the last server their character logged out of.

Of course, unless NWN has some way to choose what character to login with from the command line, choosing a character would still only log you into the character list. But at least you'd be on the right server. ;)

If you think you can do this, I'd love to see you try. If you need help, I'm sure there's someone around here who might know how to get the data you'd need.

-Themicles
A wise man does not dwell on his past. He learns from it, he grows from it, and then moves ahead into his future.

And some wise words from a wise man. :P
Orleron wrote:You have to excuse Themi. Tact, diplomacy, and softness are not his best traits, but he does not mean anything by his writing. He's a nice guy. You just get used to it after a while because he doesn't seem to learn. :)
Themicles
CoPaP Ambassador

Next

Return to The Avlis Project: General Discussion