Total players: 2
Gallery

Links Menu

Inventory Management

General discussion about Avlis

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Dungeon Masters

Inventory Management

PostAuthor: Sephira » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:56 am

One of the fun things I get to do as a DM is snoop on PCs. Sometimes when I don't have anything in particular planned or I'm waiting for something to happen, I peek inside other players inventories. I don't tend to look too closely if I don't have reason to, so most of what I end up seeing is how players organize their inventories.

So I'm throwing this out to the wider community, because I'm really curious what everybody else thinks about it. How do you organize your characters inventories, and why?
Sephira
Major DM
Major DM

Timezone: US Eastern, -5/-4
DM Avatar: Yeraiah

Re: Inventory Management

PostAuthor: pallizard » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:07 am

Haha!
Usually, token and other item that cannot goes in bags goes to the last page. First page be for healing bags, potion bag and the like. The second page is full of bags for the gathering. All that if i did not died (again) or i was not too lazy to reorg after a naked run...
Last edited by pallizard on Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
pallizard
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: Auriane » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:08 am

well... my first page has a bag for crafting stuff.. apron hood, a bag for my wands for casting, ioun stones, a bag for potions for buffing a bag with mining junk in it left over crafting things. A bag for spellcraft supplies .. empty bags for immediate inventory. Healing box for the heal stuff. (oh and a bag for more wands and detect traps and unlocks)
And second row has my bags for collecting stuff the last row has my reading glass, bartender certificate, bow and swords and offworld junk..

That about sums it up :D

Glora
Player of Glorandrea Aersinith
Abatha RubyShields
Giacona
Auriane
Scholar of Fools

Timezone: pacific

PostAuthor: Vichan Lyonsen » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:10 am

Hey this is kinda a cool question and all of a sudden I'm curious how everyone else does it. So here is a quick synopsis of how i do it:

Page 1:
a named bag for healing kits - since kits can get heavy this is usually a pretty high quality bag
a named bag for healing potions - same
several bags for misc potions
1 bag for arrows
one or more small bags for scrolls and/or wands
all ioun stones
1 bag with alternate gear (if carried)

I have some PC's where all the 1st page bags are labelled for easy finding after a deathplaning, others where i haven't done that. no rhyme or reason

Page 2:
usually loot bags (top row 5 bags)
1 small pouch for gems

Page 3:
loot bags (top row 5 bags)

all other pages empty except.....

Last page:
trinkets, magic coins etc
keychain (if carried)
planar garderobe (if carried)
I've spent most of my money on beer, fast women, and fast cars. The rest I just wasted .
Vichan Lyonsen
CCC
CCC

Timezone: pacific

PostAuthor: gutemensch » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:20 am

page 1 weapons, potions, bandages, arrow quivers, useful tokens
page 2 more useful tokens, bard songbooks, RP items (what's pinned on her top or cloak)
Page 3 overflow from page 2
Page 4 empty
Page 5 wands and RP stuff and even more quivers
Page 6 rods and labeled bags, keys and yet again more quivers
Nawen Wiki | Loash Leheven Wiki | Paradise Boutique and Emporium Wiki | FRAwen Wiki

2016 winner of The Micah Ormane Prize for Narcissism
gutemensch
Senior Assist DM
Senior Assist DM

Timezone: -6
DM Avatar: Mishlekh

PostAuthor: GrimlyAxefingler » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:41 am

I use 13 bags on the first page for keys, picks, potions, once per days , gems, crafting gear, and event tokens.
I leave the rest of the pages clear for whatever i happen to pick up except the last page, which contains all of my mining bags, plus my lockpicking bag, my planar container and a few for general storage.
GrimlyAxefingler
CCC
CCC

Timezone: EST

PostAuthor: Blizzow » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:54 am

This has been my general inventory layout across characters for some time. As a rule, I like to keep everything in named bags with modified appearances. Makes it easier to reassemble the inventory after a walk down Death Travel road to [REDACTED].

Page 1: First Aid Kit (potions, balms, bandages, rod o’ res), main weapons, quivers, casual outfit/murderin’ suit.
Page 2: Potions! Depending on how reliant the character is on wizard-juice, I might have a bunch of different bags or just one. Usually sorted by long term, short term, and misc. buffs.
Page 3: Magic Stuff: scrolls, wands, rods, and other random magic items.
Page 4: Empty. This page is used for scrap collection. Once this bad boy fills up, it’s time to visit the recycler.
Page 5: The Loot: I try to keep at least 3 decent bags here, or more if the character can handle the weight. And can afford decent bags.
Page 6: Misc. Stuff. This is where all that random crap goes. Coil of rope, various outfits, booze, lantern, Kalor’s Soul, lock picks, etc.
Blizzow
Scholar of Fools

Timezone: -7 GMT (PST)

PostAuthor: Sephira » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:13 am

Blizzow wrote:murderin’ suit

Blizzow wrote:wizard-juice

I love these. That is all.

Blizzow wrote:Kalor’s Soul

omg, deets please
Sephira
Major DM
Major DM

Timezone: US Eastern, -5/-4
DM Avatar: Yeraiah

PostAuthor: galen_macbyrne » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:31 am

Named bags for all the situational stuff, like Healing kits, Trap gear, Lock gear, Crafting gear, Spare outfits, Arrows or Bolts, Spying/Assassination Gear, whatever.
Wands sorted by level for casters, wands sorted by usage for UMD'ers (Buffing for regular, individual or party, buffing for maxed-out situations, etc.)
Stuff that I need for emergencies or daily casters I tend to leave out in inventory, since it cuts down on clicking and such for every combat prep (I have carpal tunnel in my mouse hand) and speeds reaction time in combat. This is the worst when you actually die, tho, since then it's murder re-sorting it all.
When I have lots of money, alter bags on a particular page to look alike; Color code bag names so everything is easy to re-sort and find after a death run (all bags from page one are Red, page 2 Orange, etc. through the spectrum). For extra fun, name the bags as the character would. ("Missal-Anus Crap" for Garthond, "Neato Potions!" for Argle, etc.)
Try to make sure I have at least 100 spaces clear for any crafter character, so you don't have to stop mining or chopping or gathering so often to bag it all up.
Galen
PC's:
Garthond Foehammer - Most Stereotyped PC, 2011 Irreverence Awards
Mirkduil Ellerentar - Guild Leader, ACE
Arglebargle Dinklehoffer - Red Order of the Flame
Slide Toefungus

galen_macbyrne
QA Tester
QA Tester

Timezone: US - Eastern

PostAuthor: Elradra » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:41 am

On all of my characters I keep my plot stuff on the first page to kind of force an imprint of where my bags go. Everything beyond the bags I let the script sort out every time I come back from death. Most of the loose stuff is "just in case" junk anyway that I should really sell.

Rade, always the loner, travels lightly with about seven bags. The main bags are simply labelled R1, R2, R3, and so on to make it easier to reorganize the important bags after she dies. While the contents of each can change depending on the needs of her encumbrance, there's usually wands in one or two bags, clothes in one or two more, and the rest left for heavy or bulky items. Healing kits are in a healing kit bag, a mess of unorganized scrolls in a scroll case, gems for delivery to her mages are in one gem pouch while another holds various unsorted rings. The magic pouches are almost always kept as empty as possible for collecting things and loot. There's a magic pouch with the initials of an alias that she uses for disguise. Otherwise she sells what items she doesn't use frequently.

Elra's inventory is always a nightmare. Her first page and a half are all devoted to bags and a few plot items, only half of them with labels and none of them really organized. Healing kits are in a modified bag. Sentimental items are in some odd bag somewhere, including a balor soul/essence that's sometimes replaced by Kalor's soul depending on her mood. Her inventory needs a total overhaul, yet I somehow have at least -some- idea of where everything is. I suppose it's not that different from my bedroom as a teenager that way.

I can't even remember how everyone else's inventory is, but the only thing that keeps all of my alts from drowning in clutter is the fact that they have very little.
Elradra
Scholar of Fools

Timezone: Central US

PostAuthor: Blizzow » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:39 am

Sephira wrote:
Blizzow wrote:Kalor’s Soul

omg, deets please

I mean, I was going to return it, but it slipped my mind. Totally going to get around to it, you know?
The jar is on my desk ready to go the next time I visit Old Man Kal.
His grove is just sooo far out of the way…but I haven’t forgotten about him.
Great conversation piece though. Probably some research value in it as well.
I’m keeping it safe for him, as a favor.
He’d just lose it again anyway.
Blizzow
Scholar of Fools

Timezone: -7 GMT (PST)

PostAuthor: tizmo » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:54 pm

Ewnin's First page is entirely full of bags, some large size, some small size. All bags are labeled with their purpose: "Potions 1" through "Potions 3", Crafting, Hiding, Sneaking, Traps, Combat, Outfits, Disguises, Magical Trinkets, several quivers for arrows, Wands, Rods, Maps, etc.

The second page is half full of small sized bags that are normally empty, and are used for gathering/mining. These bags are sorted by amount of weight reduction. It also has his keychains, PrC items, and some quick handy trinkets and jewelry that he often switches in/out.

The rest of the pages are kept empty to hold gathered/mined items.

I used to split bags across pages, but it got too annoying to re-arrange them after DP. So I now just use the first 2 pages.

tizmo
CCC Lead
CCC Lead

Timezone: GMT-4

PostAuthor: FireFly » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:48 pm

Ays's first page is all her stuff for fighting, her cloak, helmet, swords, her armor..a total of 8 bags including wands and meta magic wands. Her two bags for keys at on the first page too.
Second page is full of healing supplies, tokens, scrolls and a couple of empty bags.
Third page is her crafting bags, picks, items to help improve what she is making, artificing supplies and gems. A bag full of daisies and red blossom seeds.
Fourth page is 11 bags of clothes. The clothes change for the Avlis seasons. She keeps accesories in them too..umbrellas, fans, candles. And a bag that just has sentimental things in it.
Fifth page is full of basically empty bags. These are for crafting so she has a place to put whatever she is gathering.
Sixth page is for food and whatever other miscellaneous stuff she comes across.
Ayslynne Varson
FireFly
Apprentice Scholar

Timezone: central

PostAuthor: Hamlet » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:24 pm

I grew into the habit of a trim inventory after becoming conscious of the impact of item count on the old servers (not a concern nowadays). But then, it's up to the character. First or last page, half a dozen regular bag compartments or a dozen small belt pouches. Inside, a change of clothes or armor; a handful of tools or small weapons (or one large weapon); some potions or wands; snacks; a read or two for those who do; the odd personal item. May add crafting / loot bags, when appropriate. Sister Clemence keeps a dedicated shopping basket. Other characters may carry a fish sack, or a bone bag. Overall I keep very few items in a character's inventory, unless they are out to get something. X:| Those who are attached to material goods have a chest to store them. The rest go where the wind blows, and do not like to be weighed down.
Hamlet
QA/Module Lead/PH
QA/Module Lead/PH

PostAuthor: rk57957 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:05 pm

One word to describe kassha's inventory ... Beautiful and like 20lbs. Last page is plot items and keys that don't drop lined up in 3 columns. First page is 3 bags of holdings, one for wands, the second for rods and potions and the 3rd for hauling around what ever. It's so pretty.
rk57957
Scholar

Timezone: CST

PostAuthor: Hamlet » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:45 am

Belatedly, I would love to see "The Pickpocket's Guide to Inventory" arise from similar observations (made IG). oo8)
Hamlet
QA/Module Lead/PH
QA/Module Lead/PH

PostAuthor: Plethora » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:11 am

Hamlet wrote:Belatedly, I would love to see "The Pickpocket's Guide to Inventory" arise from similar observations (made IG). oo8)

That.. is a wonderful idea. Send in your entries. Winner entry get a free book publish <[8)
With your feet in the air and your head on the ground
Try this trick and spin it, yeah, Your head will collapse
But there's nothing in it
And you'll ask yourself
Where is my mind
Plethora
Head DM
Head DM

Timezone: +10
DM Avatar: Verossa

Return to The Avlis Project: General Discussion