Total players: 2
Gallery

Links Menu

Help with embedding google sheet

General discussion about Avlis

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Dungeon Masters

Help with embedding google sheet

PostAuthor: GrimlyAxefingler » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:35 am

I'm trying to embed my spreadsheet into the forum and I'm following the directions in the stickied guide but i can't get it work.

Original URL
/////https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vSLBsMTKF72W57_0E-QDETd49vXyA8cUG3C73qDtK3efkGzMltYkeGVA42q2hMjtCmd-WfKdWIgOJvV/pubhtml/////

which according to the guide should be converted to (quotes on gs added to stop from showing link)
["gs"]2PACX-1vSLBsMTKF72W57_0E-QDETd49vXyA8cUG3C73qDtK3efkGzMltYkeGVA42q2hMjtCmd-WfKdWIgOJvV["/gs"]

I noticed that my original link has a /d/e/ as opposed to only a /d/ on the example.
When i do a preview it shows the google page but says that the URL cannot be found or the file does not exist, I have published it to the internet as instructed. Any ideas?

GrimlyAxefingler
CCC
CCC

Timezone: EST

Re: Help with embedding google sheet

PostAuthor: Gorgon » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:12 am

The "/e" in the url is from using publish to the web to create the url link you copied. The guide shouldn't say that, and needs updating.

Use the "share" button up top right, then click "get sharable link" to get the proper one without the "/e". That's where you set permissions for anyone with link can view, or more.

Note: Technically the guide is correct, and the BBCode should be using the publish to the web version instead, but this is how it works for now. Also the document still needs to be published for it to work it seems, so maybe Google has been changing things a bit? I'll test something and see if I can figure it out.

*edits* Yup, you need to publish it to the web and then get the share link I described to use for the bbcode. So the guide was half right. :)
Maybe Google added the "/e" to tell the difference between share links and published ones a while ago?

Maybe the BBCode can be updated to use the publish to the web links again, but then all the current pages using it would need to be redone, so a fix will have nasty side effects. :(
Share links are fine in most cases as "view only" ones, but the problem comes when you also want to share the sheet for others to edit, but not with the ones viewing it on the forum (though the sheet can also be set to invited/specific users as a workaround). :wink:
"God not only plays dice, he throws them in the corner where you can't see them."
-- Stephen William Hawking (b. 1942) --

Sprucing up ye olde NWN | Modifying nwn.ini and nwnplayer.ini | ~Rare Items Wanted~ | Stealth Modifiers
Gorgon
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster

Timezone: PST -8

Re: Help with embedding google sheet

PostAuthor: GrimlyAxefingler » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:54 am

Awesome thanks Gorgon I got it working. :D
Not sure how often this is getting used but updating the sticky to include hitting the share button to access the link seems like far less work than changing any settings.
GrimlyAxefingler
CCC
CCC

Timezone: EST

Return to The Avlis Project: General Discussion