Total players: 16
Gallery

Links Menu

Barbarian Rage System (BRS): problems with Bloodthirster

General discussion about Avlis

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Dungeon Masters

Barbarian Rage System (BRS): problems with Bloodthirster

PostAuthor: ABC » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:23 pm

I play a Barbarian (8 levels at the moment) and am currently a Level 3 Bloodthirster. I seem to have some problems with this rage class. Whenever I rage my weapon(s) get Vampiric Regeneration on them (+2 in my case), so each hit should give me +2 HP (if not at max HP). However, most of the hits I produce don't seem to do that. About 40% of the time I hit I get the message that I gain +2 HP. I tried on about all server. Happened at level 2 & level 3 Bloodthirster. As far as I can see, when I don't get the message, I don't get +2 HP. Happens when I use only 1 weapon (& shield) and when I dual wield.

Anyone else have this problem? Am I doing something wrong here? Know a way to fix it?

Thanks.
ABC

Re: Barbarian Rage System (BRS): problems with Bloodthirster

PostAuthor: Gorgon » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:13 pm

Regeneration: vampiric (NWN Wiki)
The number of hit points (HP) restored is limited to the amount of physical damage done and the rating of the vampiric regeneration property.

Vampiric regeneration has 50% trigger chance.

Not entirely accurate, but close.
You do need to do damage (bypass DR/DI) for it to work, though I think even 1 HP of damage is enough to get full vamp healed (multiple times if you have stacking effects).
I could be wrong there too, so don't quote me on that. :mrgreen:

I don't know where that 50% is from, but it doesn't work all the time. That I can confirm. The talk page for that agrees it is not predictable.
"God not only plays dice, he throws them in the corner where you can't see them."
-- Stephen William Hawking (b. 1942) --

Sprucing up ye olde NWN | Modifying nwn.ini and nwnplayer.ini | ~Rare Items Wanted~ | Stealth Modifiers
Gorgon
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster

Timezone: PST -8

PostAuthor: Micah » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:27 pm

Yah elaborating a bit more...

Vamp regen is buggy and much to my former dual wielding +3 VR chagrin, it always has been.

The bug is deep inside the engine itself and not in the layers we exercise control over, so we think it's "possible" to fix but don't know for sure and will probably never get a shot at.

Go ahead and file a bug report anyway. It will be good to redocument it... and who knows. CCC may have ideas now that we didn't last time we talked about this, as that was several years ago.

Lastly, if you have serious buyers remorse about Bloodthirster, PM me and we can talk about options.
Micah
Lead Producer

Timezone: GMT-5
DM Avatar: Pelar

PostAuthor: ABC » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:29 pm

Thanks, guys!
ABC

Return to The Avlis Project: General Discussion