Total players: 2
Gallery

Links Menu

Psychic Clone and Shifting

General discussion about Avlis

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Dungeon Masters

Psychic Clone and Shifting

PostAuthor: ScottG » Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:23 am

Any reason why Psychic Clone doesn't work when shifted? Will it ever? Did it ever?

ScottG
Scholar of Fools

Timezone: -8

Re: Psychic Clone and Shifting

PostAuthor: SaraEF » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:51 pm

Can't comment if it ever worked, but I can confirm that this is working as intended.
SaraEF
RPotY 2014

PostAuthor: Gorgon » Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:35 pm

The answer to your previous question in 2010 about it sounded like a good reason, especially when another psion was the one stating it. :P
Subject: Druid/Shifter/Psion?

Dreamangel wrote:
ScottG wrote:Another question about the rogue build. Is UMD useful (more specifically on Avlis)?
That would be fun, though I can't use items in shifted forms...

Also anyone who's shifter and psion (if there are any) try and use Psychic Clone? How does that work? Does it clone you with the shape you are in? Can you ask it to change into a different shape? Strange...

Psychic Clone will not function while shapeshifted. There's no roll, no PSP are lost, the power does nothing. I suspect this is intentional.

While in a normal form, AI is such that it will spam shapeshift powers at high priority, rendering a druid clone pretty much useless on all fronts. Except for out of combat buffing, I guess.

When asking a clone to use its powers, you will have your choice of spell buffs. The list is incomplete; it will not cast all spells on demand. Some it will only cast on itself in combat (ex. Heroism), and some it will not cast at all (ex. Improved Mage Armor). There's an option to toggle psion powers, but I've never seen a clone actually use them. I'm told they were turned off a long time ago and the dialogue was simply never removed.

Having said all that, as someone who has done some gratuitously obscene things with a Psi-Mage, Shifter/Psion is beyond the pale even for me. About the only thing worse would be Wizard/Psion with the Transmutant AMS, though attempting something like that would take a lot of nerve.
"God not only plays dice, he throws them in the corner where you can't see them."
-- Stephen William Hawking (b. 1942) --

Sprucing up ye olde NWN | Modifying nwn.ini and nwnplayer.ini | ~Rare Items Wanted~ | Stealth Modifiers
Gorgon
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster

Timezone: PDT -7

PostAuthor: ScottG » Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:31 pm

Gorgon wrote:The answer to your previous question in 2010 about it sounded like a good reason, especially when another psion was the one stating it. :P
Subject: Druid/Shifter/Psion?

Yeah, that only partially answered the question. After using it...
I understand the spell issues, but this is an issue where I only really see it being specific shapes. The AI is so broken on this ability that it's fairly unusable, and the idea of having the clone just be the shape you currently are and only being able to do melee attacks, seems like an acceptable balance of the ability.

So seems like it could be set-up to turn off the AI to use attack spells but allow buffing and only have it do the basic melee attacks. That said, I don't know how its all scripted and if that would have been possible.

ScottG
Scholar of Fools

Timezone: -8

Return to The Avlis Project: General Discussion