Total players: 3
Gallery

Links Menu

Lots of trouble!

General discussion about Avlis

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Dungeon Masters

Re: Lots of trouble!

PostAuthor: Amjoco » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:51 pm

I need help I guess. Maybe I'm over thinking this. The Master Server ID (MSID) is used to login to multiplayer sessions of NWN2. Since there is no longer a Master Server for the ID to be compared to, there is no need for it. So, why is it necessary to have unique serial keys? I mean, can't I just make up any community name and give it to the admin here and it would be good to go?
Amjoco
Squire of Babble

PostAuthor: Tangleroot » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:54 pm

Basically the whole point of the process is to duplicate the master server. If that's not done, anyone can log onto your characters by just typing in the account name. This process binds a working password to the player name so you're secure.
Tangleroot
Silver Member

PostAuthor: Amjoco » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:01 pm

Tangleroot wrote:Basically the whole point of the process is to duplicate the master server. If that's not done, anyone can log onto your characters by just typing in the account name. This process binds a working password to the player name so you're secure.

Ah now I see. I will give the admin my name and they will give me a pw? Thank you once again Tangleroot!
Like I said I bought the game on GoG a few days ago, and got to thinking I must have the original one I played with years ago. I dug around in my old games in my closet, found it, and it's still sealed!! I have no idea how I played before without opening the box even!
Anyway, that is my excitement for the day and thought I would share it with others!
Amjoco
Squire of Babble

PostAuthor: Seka » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:35 pm

Amjoco wrote:Like I said I bought the game on GoG a few days ago, and got to thinking I must have the original one I played with years ago. I dug around in my old games in my closet, found it, and it's still sealed!! I have no idea how I played before without opening the box even!
Anyway, that is my excitement for the day and thought I would share it with others!

Amjoco, just curious: how did you learn about Avlis? We're hoping to increase awareness and it really helps to know how people discover it.
Seka
CCC
CCC

Timezone: EDT (GMT -4)

PostAuthor: Amjoco » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:41 pm

Seka wrote:
Amjoco wrote:Like I said I bought the game on GoG a few days ago, and got to thinking I must have the original one I played with years ago. I dug around in my old games in my closet, found it, and it's still sealed!! I have no idea how I played before without opening the box even!

Amjoco, just curious: how did you learn about Avlis? We're hoping to increase awareness and it really helps to know how people discover it.

I googled NWN2 persistent servers or worlds (can't remember now), found this site http://forum.bioware.com/forum/174-persistent-worlds-multiplayer/, and a few entries down I found some chatter about you guys.
Amjoco
Squire of Babble

PostAuthor: galen_macbyrne » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:47 am

Welcome to the old farts club here, Amjoco. But I notice you said NWN2 - we're NWN1 here aren't we???
Um...What to do while you wait for Alpha to be set up?
1) maybe play the single-player game a bit and learn to deal with the interface if you've never played it. The multi-player interface is a bit different, with a lot more functionality.
2) read up on the Avlis wiki, there's a whole lot of info there. New races, classes, Prestige classes, custom spells and spellhooking, custom familiars, custom content for almost every class and race. Pay special attention to the area of the wiki that lists systems and tools (http://wiki.avlis.org/Category:Systems) since it's all good stuff that will help you RP in the world.
Galen
PC's:
Garthond Foehammer - Most Stereotyped PC, 2011 Irreverence Awards
Mirkduil Ellerentar - Guild Leader, ACE
Arglebargle Dinklehoffer - Red Order of the Flame
Slide Toefungus

galen_macbyrne
QA Tester
QA Tester

Timezone: US - Eastern

PostAuthor: Amjoco » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:40 am

Nevermind everyone. I'm a complete idiot. I thought this was a NWN2 server. No matter what, it was nice chatting with the few of you today. I hope you all have fun in your world! Happy gaming to you all.
Amjoco
Squire of Babble

PostAuthor: Amjoco » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:07 pm

So, I went ahead and purchased NWN 1 from GoG today and tried to play here again. This site is like getting into fort knox to play on! I loaded nuclear weapons on B-52 bombers that had less security steps. :) Why is it so hard to play here? Every other server I have tried playing NWN on, you just login.
I received my information for my Alpha Registration, but when I click on the "Clerk" she says I'm already registered. According to the steps I received I'm suppose to enter my activation PW in the chatbar, but don't get that far.
Thanks for any help. /bow
Amjoco
Squire of Babble

PostAuthor: tizmo » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:13 pm

Amjoco wrote:So, I went ahead and purchased NWN 1 from GoG today and tried to play here again. This site is like getting into fort knox to play on! I loaded nuclear weapons on B-52 bombers that had less security steps. :) Why is it so hard to play here? Every other server I have tried playing NWN on, you just login.
I received my information for my Alpha Registration, but when I click on the "Clerk" she says I'm already registered. According to the steps I received I'm suppose to enter my activation PW in the chatbar, but don't get that far.

The reason for the slightly more advanced registration process is due to problems we've had in the past with malicious players. While the language of our processes may be confusing to new players, we are working to revise it to make it more clear. But the process itself is for the protection of the Avlis servers and the characters our players create/use, and I think that's a good thing. I've been playing here for ~10 years and I truly appreciate that the team is doing what it takes to keep everything running smoothly.

tizmo
CCC
CCC

Timezone: GMT-4

PostAuthor: Seka » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:38 pm

Amjoco wrote:Why is it so hard to play here?

By erecting our walls as high as possible, we ensure that only the best and brightest manage to get through. :P

On a more serious note: we are, as tizmo said, reviewing all this. And we will manage to get you logged in - promise. Welcome back!
Seka
CCC
CCC

Timezone: EDT (GMT -4)

PostAuthor: the_dragonspeaker » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:57 pm

Welcome,

You'll see its worth the effort, you'll notice that a lots of the player base are playing here since years and years ( I myself started in 2005 If I remember well...

Once you are here you will be hooked!!

Welcome, dont be shy to ask for help, when you'll finally be inside the walls.
Play asEdge Dravenmore High Paladin of the Order of Gorethar
the_dragonspeaker
Team Member; Retired with Honors

Timezone: -5

PostAuthor: Gorgon » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:05 pm

Amjoco wrote:So, I went ahead and purchased NWN 1 from GoG today and tried to play here again. This site is like getting into fort knox to play on! I loaded nuclear weapons on B-52 bombers that had less security steps. :) Why is it so hard to play here? Every other server I have tried playing NWN on, you just login.

If you are already logging in to talk to the clerk, you should ask the Alpha Registration folks for help, by replying to the PM they sent you (or clicking the link).

We players like to think we know everything, but they are the ones who really do, and can fix stuff. :mrgreen:
"God not only plays dice, he throws them in the corner where you can't see them."
-- Stephen William Hawking (b. 1942) --

Sprucing up ye olde NWN | Modifying nwn.ini and nwnplayer.ini | ~Rare Items Wanted~ | Stealth Modifiers
Gorgon
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster

Timezone: PDT -7

PostAuthor: Amjoco » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:35 pm

Gorgon wrote:

If you are already logging in to talk to the clerk, you should ask the Alpha Registration folks for help, by replying to the PM they sent you (or clicking the link).

We players like to think we know everything, but they are the ones who really do, and can fix stuff. :mrgreen:

Thank you Gorgon. I did reply to Plethora that I was having issues. I'm just waiting for a reply back.
No hurry, I'm reading up on the wiki of the world. There is a lot to it! :)
Amjoco
Squire of Babble

PostAuthor: Jazz » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:53 pm

Welcome Amjoco! I hope you'll like this at least as much as the NWN2 servers you were looking for.

Most interesting thread :D Be sure to know The Team is watching this, for it is a great source of information.
Jazz
Team Member; Retired with Honors

Timezone: GMT +1/+2

PostAuthor: Amjoco » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:18 pm

Jazz wrote:Welcome Amjoco! I hope you'll like this at least as much as the NWN2 servers you were looking for.

Most interesting thread :D Be sure to know The Team is watching this, for it is a great source of information.

Thanks for the welcome. Like I said before, I'm happy my stupidity may be doing some good.
I am normally very good at figuring things out (I hate asking for help), but this activation system has me stumped! I'm going back into the Registration Clerks Office, and see if I need to take her to dinner first. A glass of wine or two may help my effort! lol
Amjoco
Squire of Babble

PostAuthor: Amjoco » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:53 pm

Yayz! I got in...sorta.
From what I gather I should go to the first server on the list Mikona to get started? So when I do, I get there and I can't move and then get booted. I have installed the download files (avlis_allinone.rar) and installed them according to the installation directions. Can anyone else help me?
I'm need lots of help! Next, I will be needing someone to play my PC for me. :O
Thanx
Amjoco
Squire of Babble

PostAuthor: Grunt » Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:02 pm

Amjoco wrote:Yayz! I got in...sorta.
From what I gather I should go to the first server on the list Mikona to get started? So when I do, I get there and I can't move and then get booted. I have installed the download files (avlis_allinone.rar) and installed them according to the installation directions. Can anyone else help me?
Thanx

Your CD Keys are one of the generic sets from GOG.com. GOG should be able to provide you with a valid multiplayer key. That's the thing I mentioned before :) To confirm that's the case, when you try logging in, see what the yellow text in the bottom of the screen says (where the combat/chat log is) It will likely say something about it being an invalid key.

https://www.gog.com/support/neverwinter_nights_diamond_edition/online_play_in_neverwinter_nights_diamond That link goes to GOG's support and they have a contact form linked there to request the keys.

YOU'RE SO CLOSE! YOU CAN DO IT! :D
FletcherWiki

*Stepping out of a portal*
Nawen Amakiir: there he is.. *smirks* someone had to make an entrance
Fletcher Millstone: MILLSTONE! *arms held high*
Lilliana Be'letane: You're the worst, Fletcher.
Grunt
CCC
CCC

Timezone: I AM A TIME LORD

PostAuthor: Amjoco » Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:56 pm

Grunt wrote:
Amjoco wrote:Yayz! I got in...sorta.
Thanx

Your CD Keys are one of the generic sets from GOG.com. GOG should be able to provide you with a valid multiplayer key. That's the thing I mentioned before :) To confirm that's the case, when you try logging in, see what the yellow text in the bottom of the screen says (where the combat/chat log is) It will likely say something about it being an invalid key.

https://www.gog.com/support/neverwinter_nights_diamond_edition/online_play_in_neverwinter_nights_diamond That link goes to GOG's support and they have a contact form linked there to request the keys.

YOU'RE SO CLOSE! YOU CAN DO IT! :D

This my friends has been an epic adventure in itself. If I find any quests in Avlis as challenging as logging in I will not be disappointing. Once again thanks to all who have helped.
Amjoco
Squire of Babble

PostAuthor: Etzie » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:38 pm

Hey Amjoco,

I'm sorry you had a bit of trouble joining us! I think you've managed to find your way through it, and provided the team with some valuable user experience on the way! We met in Mikona this evening (in the temple district)! If you do need any help with NWN though, just ping anyone online, our community is very friendly and willing to help, glad to have a new player with us. :)

- Etz's puppeteer.
Etzie
Prince of Bloated Discourse

PostAuthor: Amjoco » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:52 am

Etzie wrote:Hey Amjoco,

I'm sorry you had a bit of trouble joining us! I think you've managed to find your way through it, and provided the team with some valuable user experience on the way! We met in Mikona this evening (in the temple district)! If you do need any help with NWN though, just ping anyone online, our community is very friendly and willing to help, glad to have a new player with us. :)

- Etz's puppeteer.

Thank you Etz for your warm greeting and all your help, and thank you to everyone else that has helped. After playing for a while I found out that I don't know or remember enough about the game to jump right back in (especially multiplayer). I'm going to play a few official campaigns and possibly some player mods and try here later.
Also, I should sharpen up my roleplay knowledge. I felt a little awkward and a bit uncomfortable playing....I guess I thought the server would be more questing on my own with occasional roleplaying.
Thank you all again.
Amjoco
Squire of Babble

PostAuthor: Tangleroot » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:37 am

You shouldn't stress out too much. We all entered here with zero experience of Avlis (and in my case, zero experience of NWN roleplaying too.) New people are really valued in the community, and people are really always willing to help. Plus single player campaigns in NWN really suck in comparison :)
Tangleroot
Silver Member

PostAuthor: Amjoco » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:47 pm

Tangleroot wrote:You shouldn't stress out too much. We all entered here with zero experience of Avlis (and in my case, zero experience of NWN roleplaying too.) New people are really valued in the community, and people are really always willing to help. Plus single player campaigns in NWN really suck in comparison :)

Well thanks for the vote of confidence. The campaigns may suck, but they do give a lot of knowledge and general fun.
My problem with role playing is I am busy and/or can't sit in my chair for long periods of times chatting. I'm kind of a nervous, anxious person, and if I want to get up and go outside and do yard work, I just go.
I admire you guys and your skills at transferring your alternate personality into online chat, but I have troubles with it. I wish there was a slightly less involved form of it where me and others could play and be part of the world, but not so involve with heavy rp. It's to bad there isn't a flag or something that would allow playing as like a dynamic npc where we are part of the world in trade, economy, and minor social actions, but don't have to become involved in heavy rp banter.
Anyway, thanks again you guys! You seem like an awesome group. /salute
Amjoco
Squire of Babble

PostAuthor: Baron Rosencheckl » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:17 pm

The beauty of Avlis is that you dont have to get caught up in heavy RP banter, there are plenty of dungeons you can solo or hook up with others to visit and to be honest there are a fair number of characters who rarely say anything but rather just sit and listen. But if you arent even into the sitting and listening, thats groovy I can relate sometimes.

All you need to learn is where there are things to do and where you can meet up with people for DMed events, you will then find over time that the RP will come, you will find a personality for your character and that PC will make in game allies or friends.

Dont worry about jumping into the deep end of RP it really isnt necessary on Avlis, though most will tell you its the route to the greatest enjoyment of Avlis, but I firmly believe it will come to you in time as you get accustomed to the servers.
player of Saman Tane
Fatespinner
Steelcaster of Dra'nar
Baron Rosencheckl
Prince of Bloated Discourse

PostAuthor: Plethora » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:33 am

Baron Rosencheckl wrote:The beauty of Avlis is that you dont have to get caught up in heavy RP banter, there are plenty of dungeons you can solo or hook up with others to visit and to be honest there are a fair number of characters who rarely say anything but rather just sit and listen. But if you arent even into the sitting and listening, thats groovy I can relate sometimes.

All you need to learn is where there are things to do and where you can meet up with people for DMed events, you will then find over time that the RP will come, you will find a personality for your character and that PC will make in game allies or friends.

Dont worry about jumping into the deep end of RP it really isnt necessary on Avlis, though most will tell you its the route to the greatest enjoyment of Avlis, but I firmly believe it will come to you in time as you get accustomed to the servers.

This
Well, i've heard about the fella you've been dancing with, all over the neighborhood..
...why didn't you ask me baby? Or didn't you think I could..
Plethora
Head DM
Head DM

Timezone: +11 (DST)
DM Avatar: Verossa

PostAuthor: Amjoco » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:47 am

Baron Rosencheckl wrote:The beauty of Avlis is that you dont have to get caught up in heavy RP banter, there are plenty of dungeons you can solo or hook up with others to visit and to be honest there are a fair number of characters who rarely say anything but rather just sit and listen. But if you arent even into the sitting and listening, thats groovy I can relate sometimes.

Thanx! Right now I'm playing a player made mod (Tortured Hearts 2) and really liking it. There is so much about this game I totally forgot about, it is awesome, and I'm not sure why I quit playing. :) I will jump into Avlis now and again testing the waters a bit more!
Amjoco
Squire of Babble

Previous

Return to The Avlis Project: General Discussion