Uploaded: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:04 am

Links Menu

Lots of trouble!

General discussion about Avlis

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Dungeon Masters

Lots of trouble!

PostAuthor: Amjoco » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:48 pm

Hello!
I know it's easy for many people out there, but it's a pain trying to figure out how to play here for me at least.
First, there is no actual link for the Alpha Registration form. So I had to search for it and there is no clear way for me to do that (it led me to a confusing forum page)
Then, I read you need an msid. I had to google that and am not sure if you need my phone number or what. What is an MSID?
OK, so if I do finally find the form and complete it does the form have a location to mail it to?

There would probably be more players here if the process of getting to play was simpler. I understand the security thing, but if it's really difficult folks will just go on to the next server and play.
Thanks for the help.
Amjoco
Squire of Babble

Re: Lots of trouble!

PostAuthor: Lady_Ashling » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:12 pm

Theres a Link on the side panel of the forums called "how to log in"
Its rather clear in the instructions too( well to me) it says send a pm to( see below for the text" As for MSID thats your Master server ID older players would have had one to log into nwn if your brand new Its the name you use in the multiplayer log in , in the game.
"Applying to Avlis

Please fill out the following form. The form must be sent as a single PM in the To: field:

Alpha Registration

(when in "Compose message" you will see an option to selct on the right hand side)

Please put Alpha request in the subject line.

Hi,

I am applying for an Alpha registration. I am a (new/returning) player and my MSID is ___________

Thanks,
Lady_Ashling
Scholar of Fools

Timezone: Gmt

PostAuthor: silverfields2 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:14 pm

Also, if you get in the chatroom. More often then not there is someone who can help you through the process.
Comrades Fill No Glass For Me - Stephen Foster
Oh! comrades, fill no glass for me
To drown my soul in liquid flame
For if I drank, the toast should be
To blighted fortune health and fame.
silverfields2
QA Tester
QA Tester

Timezone: GMT -5

PostAuthor: Grunt » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:15 pm

One note: if you picked up the game from GOG.com make sure they send you a unique set of CD keys. They were (and may still be) in the habit of sending the game with a generic key, which will not work on our servers. I figured I'd mention that and save you an surprise headache further along in the process :)
FletcherWiki

*Stepping out of a portal*
Nawen Amakiir: there he is.. *smirks* someone had to make an entrance
Fletcher Millstone: MILLSTONE! *arms held high*
Lilliana Be'letane: You're the worst, Fletcher.
Grunt
CCC
CCC

Timezone: I AM A TIME LORD

PostAuthor: Tangleroot » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:15 pm

It really needs a new documentation, since the actual process is very easy when you understand it, but the process is very abstract and hard to understand before you do it.

The principle is simple: MSID is the 'player name' in NWN multiplayer menu. You need to create a new password (or reuse an old password) for that player name, that's the process and why you're doing it.

I think someone should volunteer to make new documentation with helpful pictures. Maybe even me if someone else won't.
Tangleroot
Silver Member

PostAuthor: Amjoco » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:17 pm

TY for the reply. Yes, I read that link just fine when I started my adventure of trying to register to play here. Have you clicked the link and tried to follow the instructions? Once you click "How to Log In" it takes you to the page your pasted, but it gives no more information on a form or where to send it to.
Amjoco
Squire of Babble

PostAuthor: silverfields2 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:18 pm

Tangleroot wrote:It really needs a new documentation, since the actual process is very easy when you understand it, but the process is very abstract and hard to understand before you do it.

The principle is simple: MSID is the 'player name' in NWN multiplayer menu. You need to create a new password (or reuse an old password) for that player name, that's the process and why you're doing it.

I think someone should volunteer to make new documentation with helpful pictures. Maybe even me if someone else won't.

I think I heard a volunteer....
silverfields2
QA Tester
QA Tester

PostAuthor: Lady_Ashling » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:23 pm

Amjoco wrote:TY for the reply. Yes, I read that link just fine when I started my adventure of trying to register to play here. Have you clicked the link and tried to follow the instructions? Once you click "How to Log In" it takes you to the page your pasted, but it gives no more information on a form or where to send it to.

You need to send a pm on this forums to Alpha Registration ( thats the name of the forum account) with Alpha Registration as the subject of the message.
The form is just this
Hi,

I am applying for an Alpha registration. I am a (new/returning) player and my MSID is ___________

Thanks,
Lady_Ashling
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: Amjoco » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:27 pm

Grunt wrote:One note: if you picked up the game from GOG.com make sure they send you a unique set of CD keys. They were (and may still be) in the habit of sending the game with a generic key, which will not work on our servers. I figured I'd mention that and save you an surprise headache further along in the process :)

TY,
I did get this on GoG a couple days ago. So the keys listed under my account on GoG account are probably generic? I need to get with GoG support now?
Amjoco
Squire of Babble

PostAuthor: Tangleroot » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:30 pm

silverfields2 wrote:
Tangleroot wrote:It really needs a new documentation, since the actual process is very easy when you understand it, but the process is very abstract and hard to understand before you do it.

Was taught to never volunteer for anything, but why not... Results not guaranteed. There's some aspects here I don't know about, since I've only activated old accounts for myself and not made new ones, but I'll ask around in IRC
Last edited by Tangleroot on Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tangleroot
Silver Member

PostAuthor: Amjoco » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:42 pm

Lady_Ashling wrote:
Amjoco wrote:TY for the reply. Yes, I read that link just fine when I started my adventure of trying to register to play here. Have you clicked the link and tried to follow the instructions? Once you click "How to Log In" it takes you to the page your pasted, but it gives no more information on a form or where to send it to.

You need to send a pm on this forums to Alpha Registration ( thats the name of the forum account) with Alpha Registration as the subject of the message.
The form is just this
Hi,

Thanks,

Ok, this is good help, but it takes me back to the confusion of being new here. How do I PM on this board?
The site needs a link that takes you directly to a page that allows you to enter your name and this msid (with a description of what an MSID is and where it can be found.) and you just send it. Sorry to sound like a big whiner.
Amjoco
Squire of Babble

PostAuthor: Lady_Ashling » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:33 pm

Click user control panel at the top of the forum under the avlis banner. go to private messages in there and then the compose tab :)
Lady_Ashling
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: Micah » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:49 pm

Amjoco,

Thank you for the feedback. Its easy for us to take the process for granted, so by all means, keep it coming. We'll make it better. Some of these guys are talking right now on IRC about ways to make this easier.

Welcome!
Micah
Lead Producer

Timezone: GMT-5
DM Avatar: Pelar

PostAuthor: Amjoco » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:19 pm

Micah wrote:Amjoco,

Thank you for the feedback. Its easy for us to take the process for granted, so by all means, keep it coming. We'll make it better. Some of these guys are talking right now on IRC about ways to make this easier.

Welcome!

Thank you for your help and patience you guys. I'm glad to see my "whining" is really called "feedback" here!
I tried a couple other persistent worlds from this site http://www.nwnlist.com/, but delved a bit deeper to see if anything else was available and found you all. I'm excited to see what you guys have built, and look forward to playing!
Cheers to everyone here. It seems like a good group of mature members.
Amjoco
Squire of Babble

PostAuthor: Katroine » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:28 pm

You picked a great time to start! This weekend is "Lowbie Weekend" with events aimed at new adventurers!

Here's a link to the scheduled events.
Katroine
Team Member; Retired with Honors

Timezone: Mountain

PostAuthor: Tangleroot » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:30 pm

Gorgon gave me a techie viewpoint and helped out so I'm now trying ot make new versions of these different alpha steps, including the place you click first, the reply pm, and the web form. I'll send them over if they start to look like they make any sense.
Tangleroot
Silver Member

PostAuthor: Amjoco » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:52 pm

Tangleroot wrote:Gorgon gave me a techie viewpoint and helped out so I'm now trying ot make new versions of these different alpha steps, including the place you click first, the reply pm, and the web form. I'll send them over if they start to look like they make any sense.

Thank you! I sent a PM for the registration, but haven't gotten a response back. I probably did something wrong, so if you would like me to beta test anything let me know! :)
Amjoco
Squire of Babble

PostAuthor: Tangleroot » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:01 pm

I'm not officially part of the team, just volunteering for this, so take it with a pinch of salt.

Now if you've sent the PM and haven't gotten a reply yet there's 2 scenarios:
- People in charge of the system haven't read it yet or a busy with things to process it
- It went to wrong address you can check this by seeing if your message is in outbox (not yet there) or sent (already there) part of the system when you go see your messages. The address field should read Alpha Registration if it went to the right place.

At this point I suggest patience :)
Tangleroot
Silver Member

PostAuthor: Amjoco » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:13 pm

Tangleroot wrote:I'm not officially part of the team, just volunteering for this, so take it with a pinch of salt.

Now if you've sent the PM and haven't gotten a reply yet there's 2 scenarios:
- People in charge of the system haven't read it yet or a busy with things to process it
- It went to wrong address you can check this by seeing if your message is in outbox (not yet there) or sent (already there) part of the system when you go see your messages. The address field should read Alpha Registration if it went to the right place.

At this point I suggest patience :)

Ok, ty again! I did PM it to Alpha Registration and it's sitting in my outbox... waiting gives me time to decide what I want to play too!! No hurry from anyone though. I'm an old fart with nothing else going on anyway. :lol:

edit: shouldn't the registration gone to my "sent" box?
Amjoco
Squire of Babble

PostAuthor: Tangleroot » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:19 pm

Sent means it's read, outbox means it's still waiting to be read. These things take time.
Tangleroot
Silver Member

PostAuthor: Amjoco » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:22 pm

Tangleroot wrote:Sent means it's read, outbox means it's still waiting to be read. These things take time.

Gotcha! TY again for all your help. /salute
Amjoco
Squire of Babble

PostAuthor: silverfields2 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:32 pm

Tangleroot wrote:
silverfields2 wrote:

Was taught to never volunteer for anything, but why not... Results not guaranteed. There's some aspects here I don't know about, since I've only activated old accounts for myself and not made new ones, but I'll ask around in IRC

What a good sport Tangleroot, thanks for stepping up to the plate for this.
silverfields2
QA Tester
QA Tester

PostAuthor: Seka » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:41 pm

Believe it or not, the team was just discussing (as of yesterday) that the documentation really needs updating and simplifying. We're on it and it will be changed very soon. Thanks to Amjoco for for pointing out the parts of the process that can be mystifying for new players.
Seka
CCC
CCC

Timezone: EDT (GMT -4)

PostAuthor: Amjoco » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:16 pm

Seka wrote:

Believe it or not, the team was just discussing (as of yesterday) that the documentation really needs updating and simplifying. We're on it and it will be changed very soon. Thanks to Amjoco for for pointing out the parts of the process that can be mystifying for new players.

I'm glad my stupidity has helped.
Amjoco
Squire of Babble

PostAuthor: Tangleroot » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:19 pm

Sent some possible revision stuff for Staff in PM. If it helps, good. If not, can be revised more (that was a fast job) or thrown away. But it's something.
Tangleroot
Silver Member

Next

Return to The Avlis Project: General Discussion