Total players: 3
Gallery

Links Menu

Strange Mouse Problem in NWN

General discussion about Avlis

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Dungeon Masters

Strange Mouse Problem in NWN

PostAuthor: gutemensch » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:35 am

I had NWN running just fine in Windows 10. Upgraded to dual monitors and had to play it windowed mode as it wouldn't play full screen anymore. Now I am back to single screen and my mouse is a foot off. Yes a foot off the mark and 120 degrees to the right to click anything while running it at 1920x1080 full screen on a 55in led. All the intro stuff is shoved far right and down into the corner and only seeing 1/4 of the images. Then the main screen pops up to login and the mouse is off position big time.

Only way I can get it client usable is to enable window mode again, alt-enter on the login screen and run it in a greatly reduced size that is 800x600 windowed size. It's usable but not pretty and slightly annoying.

Any ideas?
Nawen Wiki | Loash Leheven Wiki | Paradise Boutique and Emporium Wiki | FRAwen Wiki

2016 winner of The Micah Ormane Prize for Narcissism
gutemensch
Minor DM
Minor DM

Timezone: -6
DM Avatar: Mishlekh

Re: Strange Mouse Problem in NWN

PostAuthor: Gorgon » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:47 pm

Re:The 800x600 window problem with 1920x1080
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.games.neverwinter-nights/tuydyn9ZfkA
"To get widescreen working, one needs to edit X:\NeverwinterNights\NWN\nwn.ini like this:

[Display Options]
Width=856
Height=480
BitsPerPixels=32
RefreshRate=60
SafeMovie=1

[Video Options]
Enable VSync=1

RefreshRate must be set to whatever one uses in Powerstrip, normally 60 (I'm using ATI's HDTV adapter).

The SafeMovie option is important, because without it, in-game movies
don't work (you end up with a blank screen while audio plays).

Notes: The intro movies do not play in widescreen, but the rest of the
game works fine. I recommend using 856 rather than 1920, and relying
on 4x antialiasing to improve the image quality. There is no
noticeable stretching in 16:9 widescreen."

Not everyone uses Powerstrip, so whatever RefreshRate you have in display options for your video stuff? You may need to look into some of the ways people tweaked font sizes IG on the vault or with a "nwn font size" google search, since it sounds like things get pretty small.

If that doesn't fix it, have you run nwconfig.exe in the nwn folder again? That should re-detect your hardware and update nwconfig.ini for you, though it probably will still need the manual settings above with that size monitor. Just remember to backup your nwn.ini and nwnplayer.ini files so you have a copy of all its original settings for reference, in case it changes them too, since you may have manually entered some over the years (like Client CPU Affinity, custom [Chat Colors] and [Favorites Page]). I don't think it touches them, but better to be safe, and save trying to redo them.

Also, are you running any tools like Hotkey or X-Mouse to reprogram your mouse or keyboard, or do you have window position memory enabled in your video drivers control panel or other software? That last one may still be trying to stick the NWN window where your missing monitor was.

*edits* you can probably try higher x and y ratio settings once you get the movie thing fixed too, but may need to stick to the same proportions mentioned there. Also, it looks like NWN should be able to handle 1920x1280 in the resolution settings, so maybe it really is just a matter of running nwconfig.exe again.
http://www.wsgf.org/dr/neverwinter-nights scroll down to see it under 16:9 Resolutions.
"God not only plays dice, he throws them in the corner where you can't see them."
-- Stephen William Hawking (b. 1942) --

Sprucing up ye olde NWN | Modifying nwn.ini and nwnplayer.ini | ~Rare Items Wanted~ | Stealth Modifiers
Gorgon
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster

Timezone: PDT -7

PostAuthor: gutemensch » Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:31 pm

I might have to try a reinstall to get nwconfig.exe to work cause it errors "Unable to set Version". Looked at it's inf and it is as old as my account here.

So let's see if I decide to reinstall I need to copy out the folders for
Hak
Override
portraits
tlk

That should keep me from having to redownload everything I believe.
Nawen Wiki | Loash Leheven Wiki | Paradise Boutique and Emporium Wiki | FRAwen Wiki

gutemensch
Minor DM
Minor DM

PostAuthor: Gorgon » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:42 pm

Remember all the text files in localvault if you use your journal, especially recipes. Many lose them that way.

Have you tried running the 1.69 critical rebuild first? It is linked on the needed files page. Also, nwconfig.exe may also need to be run in compatibility mode (XP-SP3), and even as admin for it to work.
"God not only plays dice, he throws them in the corner where you can't see them."
-- Stephen William Hawking (b. 1942) --

Sprucing up ye olde NWN | Modifying nwn.ini and nwnplayer.ini | ~Rare Items Wanted~ | Stealth Modifiers
Gorgon
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster

Timezone: PDT -7

PostAuthor: gutemensch » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:39 pm

Reinstalled and got a laugh from nwconfig as my system isn't good enough to play NWN when I ran it (this time it ran but I guess that is what happens when you keep copying out the same NWN folder through a dozen rebuilds) Installed it all and exp then critical rebuild and same damn problem. Then stumbled across something unrelated to the topic at hand and discovered my answered; disable display scaling in props for the program (right click then props where admin rights are too). Click to play and mouse is tracking and lighting up what is selected.

I haven't deleted the old NWN install just renamed it. So I think I'll keep the new one, copy over my folders and bat files for logging in. Then give it a test run logging into something but I'm thinking that simple change in the file props sorted out the problem.

Thanks G

gutemensch
Minor DM
Minor DM

PostAuthor: gutemensch » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:56 pm

LOL had to keep the old install and set it the same way cause someone doesn't know their password but it is already in the old install.

Works like a champ. Anyone else having screen problems might want to look at disable display scaling to see if it fixes it.

gutemensch
Minor DM
Minor DM

PostAuthor: tindertwiggy » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:01 am

You can edit ini files directly via notepad.
Happiness is baked with one part bat guano, one part sulfur.

tindertwiggy
Legacy DM
Legacy DM

Return to The Avlis Project: General Discussion