Total players: 10
Gallery

Links Menu

quickslotted items in bags

General discussion about Avlis

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Dungeon Masters

quickslotted items in bags

PostAuthor: Seka » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:13 am

I remember a time when the recommendation was to never quickslot items in bags because they would occasionally get destroyed (viewtopic.php?f=4&t=108373) for reasons unknown.

Was this due to an issue that has since been fixed? Is it still the general recommendation?
Seka
CCC
CCC

Timezone: EDT (GMT -4)

Re: quickslotted items in bags

PostAuthor: Gorgon » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:53 am

Quick-slotting items in bags is fine, and I do it all the time. Someone in that topic mentioned potions and other stacks having issues, but I haven't heard that in many years, and don't remember it ever happening. Quick-slotting items in bags that you equip is the problem, or can be anyway. I haven't heard of any fix for it, but that doesn't mean much. I miss stuff all the time.

While doing some experiments with quick-slots and trying to fix a problem badjabadjabadja was having here, I learned just how messed up quick-slots can be. Single-player is far worse (you can do some nifty magic tricks with equipping things in bags from anywhere in the mod), but online servers still have issues with how they track slotted items in bags, and also how they are equipped. If a bag, or even just your inventory, is full when you unequip something, it drops and can get stuck on the ground (not directly related to slots, but swapping equipment via slots can run into this), and there are other problems with transitions and equipping from inside a bag as the area changes. Probably more I can't even remember.

If you quick-slot items to be equipped from inside a bag, it is just a matter of time until something bad happens. You may get lucky and never have a problem, but it isn't worth the risk in my opinion.
"God not only plays dice, he throws them in the corner where you can't see them."
-- Stephen William Hawking (b. 1942) --

Sprucing up ye olde NWN | Modifying nwn.ini and nwnplayer.ini | ~Rare Items Wanted~ | Stealth Modifiers
Gorgon
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster

Timezone: PST -8

Re: quickslotted items in bags

PostAuthor: Seka » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:19 am

Gorgon wrote:If you quick-slot items to be equipped from inside a bag, it is just a matter of time until something bad happens. You may get lucky and never have a problem, but it isn't worth the risk in my opinion.

Got it. Thanks for the explanation!
Seka
CCC
CCC

Timezone: EDT (GMT -4)

Return to The Avlis Project: General Discussion