Uploaded by: Hamlet
    Uploaded: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:40 am

Links Menu

Shards Online doing another Kickstarter

General discussion about Avlis

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Dungeon Masters

Re: Shards Online doing another Kickstarter

PostAuthor: Vian » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:11 pm

Orleron wrote:Yeah I set the water to the Geometry render order, but the advice in your links is better, i.e. set it to Transparency - 200.

The other issue that always crops up is the intersection between a stream and a lake. The tile from the stream does not match up with the tile from the lake, so I have to somehow hide that. It has to be possible to blend those tiles together though. I mean, lakes have multiple tiles and you can't see the edges between them. I dunno.

Yes it's annoying I agree: First make sure your meshes fit together nicely
Here's the basic tutorial: http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/HOWTO-Water.html (changing the shape of the mesh to fit your area better)
in particular since you are using Basic you want this... as well as applying the proper "waves" and FX should help cover the seams.
"Creating water from scratch (Advanced)

The simple water in Unity requires attaching a script to a plane-like mesh and using the water shader:

Have mesh for the water. This should be a flat mesh, oriented horizontally. UV coordinates are not required. The water GameObject should use the Water layer, which you can set in the Inspector.

Attach WaterSimple script (from Standard Assets/Water/Sources) to the object.

Use FX/Water (simple) shader in the material, or tweak one of provided water materials (Daylight Simple Water or Nighttime Simple Water)."

Some interest pieces that may help you out:
Here's a cool project on how to create dynamic waves that form to the terrain underneath it this may fix some of your problems with tiles:
http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/surfac ... ns.250330/

Here's another cool project on how to create procedural seamless terrain... not sure if works with water but it's cool nonetheless and can speed up your map generation time.
http://scrawkblog.com/2013/03/21/creati ... -in-unity/

I'll ask around for you on to see if anyone has done it.

V~
Vian
Team Member; Retired with Honors

PostAuthor: Gorgon » Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:43 am

A bit late for the Kickstart, but here's a YouTube video about how things should work in SO with PWs (shards) and other stuff. A bit less geek speek (beyond term we should know), and easy to follow. Sounds very similar to the way we do things here now with CoPaP. Spooky!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLithI0Xr0A

One thing I liked about 6 and a half minutes in was about how any changed custom content used on your shard would be downloaded selectively on login (like A2 worldgate did). Change one texture, and no need to grab a huge file. No more hak updates everyone fears to do. :P
"God not only plays dice, he throws them in the corner where you can't see them."
-- Stephen William Hawking (b. 1942) --

Sprucing up ye olde NWN | Modifying nwn.ini and nwnplayer.ini | ~Rare Items Wanted~ | Stealth Modifiers
Gorgon
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster

Timezone: PST -8

PostAuthor: Orleron » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:15 pm

Posted some more updates over on the new game forum.

http://www.worldofavlis.com/forums/
"Truth has no form."
--Idries Shah

World of Avlis Page

Avlis Project FAQ
Orleron
World Advisor, Co-founder

Timezone: GMT-5

PostAuthor: PrinceOfCrossbreeds » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:56 pm

Quick suggestion. Change the font color of the forums. It's kinda hard to read a light grey font on a white background.
PrinceOfCrossbreeds
Apprentice Scholar

Timezone: GTM-5

PostAuthor: Orleron » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:42 am

Still trying. The WordPress interface on that thing is not so easy as this one, unfortunately.
"Truth has no form."
--Idries Shah

World of Avlis Page

Avlis Project FAQ
Orleron

PostAuthor: Gorgon » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:01 am

I still can't get a confirmation email sent to Gmail when registering my nick. I've tried the "lost password" thing to reset it for both my username and email, but no luck (yeah, I check the spam folder).
Nick is the same as here: Gorgon
Email (don't laugh): Gorgon.the.rothe.lover@gmail.com

I can try another email besides Gmail, if you want to delete the user Gorgon (should have some sort of pending confirmation on it, but I don't know wordpress), and then change it back after logging in.

*edits* Pretty sure no one else took that nick yet, since it is the only one I've used there, and it doesn't reject the email for resetting the password... but if someone has, how many cases of scotch for their address, so I can do some stabbity? :mrgreen:
"God not only plays dice, he throws them in the corner where you can't see them."

Sprucing up ye olde NWN | Modifying nwn.ini and nwnplayer.ini | ~Rare Items Wanted~ | Stealth Modifiers
Gorgon
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster

PostAuthor: Orleron » Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:49 am

Fixed!
"Truth has no form."
--Idries Shah

World of Avlis Page

Avlis Project FAQ
Orleron

PostAuthor: Gorgon » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:39 am

I know Orl and Silk have been working more on solo stuff, rather than Shards Online these days (you can search their material for reasons), but I wanted to post the link for the latest SO newsletter here. It has been a while since anyone here talked about SO, and mostly because it has been restricted by their NDA (NDA == "Ju can't talk/post about our stuff agreement", until we say so).

Well the latest newsletter sorta changes that, since they are now letting basic Alpha pledges from their Kickstarter, and any new ones now with $40, get access to full Pre-Alpha 3 testing (uh, so they let you keep paying them for it long after the Kickstarter? NVM... :P ).

Anyways, that is a big deal, since you get to do server hosting and stuff, while it is being tested (very limited, but hey, Pre-Alpha is like gene re-coding your unborn kid while learning how to do it online, and no legal issues after!).

Just click the link.
Shards Online Newsletter: Major Pre-alpha Announcement and Much More.

Gorgon
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster

PostAuthor: Rocinante » Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:12 am

Hey there,
Rocinante from the Shards community here thought I'd update this since its been awhile; Shards is still in development and is aiming for STEAM release by the end of the year. I'm currently in touch with a pre alpha admin who is working on writing a D20 ruleset in anticipation for D&D themed worlds. Aside from that here is the latest community newsletter; http://shardsonline.com/march-newsletter/ and the latest roundtable with a lot of good footage. The Catacombs map is going to be amazing and hopefully someone will create a script which will make it fully randomized in the future. https://www.twitch.tv/shardsonline/v/54007465

Rocinante

Previous

Return to The Avlis Project: General Discussion