Wilderness - (0)
Ferrell - (0)
Le'Or - (0)
Visimontium - (0)
Deglos - (0)
Total players: 6
Gallery

Links Menu

Character Refs for Artists and Surprise Fanart (maybe NSFW?)

General discussion about Avlis

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Dungeon Masters

Character Refs for Artists and Surprise Fanart (maybe NSFW?)

PostAuthor: The Dasair » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:25 pm

I was curious if there was a place where one could post their characters description to potentially get some fanart from any willing artist, and apparently there wasn't!

So there is now. :>

Post your character's name, and then give any reference you'd see fit for an artist to know if you'd like some possible art of them. I figure anyone artsy would just pop by here at their leisure to see what's available. And likewise, the descriptions can be as detailed or vague as you want, granted anything left unsaid is likely to be left up to interpretation. So this is a very laid back thread. I don't expect, if there are a lot of people, that everyone will get something right away, but it is a nice place to have to direct to. Plus, surprise art can be fun!

References can be anything, from typed out descriptions, to links to wiki pages, to images. I know from being on the more artsy side, the more info the better, if you want accuracy. I figure certain things can be mentioned, like 'my character is a pyromancer' or 'my character loves dancing' and that sort of thing might get incoorperated too. :>

Artists can just pick up characters they're inspired by and drop off the image here or by PM or something. But it'd be nice if it could be posted here, so everyone can see the art as well.

I know I'll be grabbing a few of these, as I want an excuse to draw different characters more often.

So, all that said, have fun and post!
Character: Xsaiav'lairnn Mystrif
The Grass is Greener, Avlis Irreverence Awards 2012

Schedule: Here
The Dasair
Prince of Bloated Discourse

Timezone: PST or EST

Re: Character Refs for Artists and Surprise Fanart (maybe NSFW?)

PostAuthor: Xaila » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:28 pm

I've written up some stuff on Solveig's general appearance before. Her wiki page is pretty active, and I added some stuff here too.

For those unfamiliar with Tyeduans, they're yer far-northern "barbarian"-esque people. A lot of people take Viking/Nordic influence with them. Solveig's backstory/clan is a little more Iniut inspired but in appearance she's probably pretty nordic looking. She's been living in the south for some years now though as a pyro-sorc so probably reflects that. :D

Things not mentioned before are that she now has these items. The necklace she wears basically always and the axe comes out when she feels like it ;)

ETA: For some reason I've never been able to find good ref pictures for Solveig but GoT Brienne is so totally her mother Anyu if she had her hair short. :shock:

We're all burning out, fading away
Like the passing light of day...

Player of:
Solveig Tcharov - Friendly Fire Award '11, Skywalker Award '11
Ambrose Longstreet
Maliha
Xaila
Team Member; Retired with Honors

Timezone: EST (-5/-4 summer)

PostAuthor: The Dasair » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:31 pm

Eee, Solveig! I am definitely going to be looking at all those. <u<

I'll also do a TLDR description and stuff for Myst, because I can.

Name: Xsaiav'lairnn Mystrif, aka 'Myst'

Description

General

Race: Moon Elf
Height: around 6 feet tall, give or take an inch.
Build: Quite slim, but fit-ish sort of like a decent runner. ... So 'lean' I guess.
Hair: Messy but mostly straight and fine. Chinlength in front, a little longer and flips out in back.
Class: Wizard

Skin color: Pale grey / white
Hair color: Slightly darker grey / silver
Eye color: Teal with little golden flecks in them.
Clothing color: Always wears black / really dark colors and gold. 8|

Clothing style: 20 billion layers that cover pretty much everything multiple times. He doesn't like his body showing. Hands and head are the only things. His clothing is usually pretty fancy and elaborate, and tends to be covered with a number of symbols and foreign runes and stuff. (I tend to just scribble these or omit them, because they are a pain. rofl)

Tattoos / Markings: Myst has a lot of 'tattoos' all over his body that look suspiciously like a bunch of foreign spell circles barfed all over him. The marks are red, gold, and black, and usually the only ones visible are red under his eyes, down his neck, and along the bones on the top of his hands. I don't think anyone is actually going to draw much more than that, but if they do, feel free to just make stuff up. 8|

Facial structure: He has a super bridgey, Romanesque like nose. His eyes are pretty tired looking, and his face is generally relaxed. He has an oval / egg shaped head; his chin is round, but his face is semi-longish. He has long pointed ears, and two earrings in the right one.

Expression: Tends to look fairly sleepy almost all the time. Also a slight grin is his default expression.
Posture: ... Likes to lean on things or sit. He can stand upright and formal, but he doesn't do it unless the situation calls for it.
Demeanor: Intellectual, respectful, secretive, vague, verbose, modest about himself, outwardly pleasant, secretly creepy as crap, logical, mischievous, subtle, almost always amused, demisexual, ~fancy~, tildes.

Likes: The unknown, books, death, death spells, the Arcane, a Lafiat, experiments, science, secrets, power, logic, reason, all the information, explosions, riddles, violence, learning, being fancy, etc.
Dislikes: Stupidity, irrationality, wasting time, people seeing his body, destruction of knowledge, when people appeal to emotions, when people do 'what they think is best for him', failure to see reason, being around a bunch of people for too long, when he gets too emotional, etc.

Links and Refs

Avlis wiki page. - Better description maybe, and some (more) pictures eventually.
A group of pictures on the forums.
Arkaz wiki page. - Sort of outdated, but there's some stuff laying around.
Tegaki - There are some sketchy images here, but there are also a lot of other things.
Markings - Good gods, this is just an arm, but here's an idea of how ridiculous they are. rofl
Clothing layers - Sketch of typical layers he wears. 8| Spoilers: there's more than that.
Hood - Icky sketch, and also Myst feeling like a woman, roflmao that pose.
Expressions - Quick expression sketches.

The Dasair

PostAuthor: Jazz » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:47 pm

Great idea, The Dasair! I'd gladly receive a work of art for my PC, from anyone willing. It's time I made wikipage for him, perhaps it could be put up there (as well as here).

PC = Marcus

I thought him up when I was watching Babylon 5 about 2,5 years ago. He was originally modeled after the Marcus of that series, who was a fighter of the good cause.

Description: same build, face, hair and facial hair as the pic above, but (facial)hair is blond. He walks around in his Champion's full plate (silver/tan), red cloak. Two shortswords on his belt. Friendly expression, open face. Can often be found in the company of others. Likes to laugh, joke.

Cheers!
Jazz

Timezone: GMT +1/+2

PostAuthor: Brayon » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:22 pm

Alright, :-)

I got 2, first here is Ni'arthin

http://wiki.avlis.org/PCs:Ni%27arthin

Vital Statistics
Name: Ni'arthin
Race: Avariel
Height: 5ft. 6in.
Weight: 125 lbs.
Hair Color: Black
Eye Color: Emerald Green
Build: Sleek, toned, and gracful
Skin tone: Fair complection
Feather Color: Natrual Black Feathers

Appearance:
Ni'arthin appears to be in the prime of his life. As one of the longer lived races of Avlis, his age is hard to determine, but he freely admits to being in his 200's. His youthful appearance is seen in his choice of wardrobe, with is "modern" and conservative. He prefers loose fitting clothes, than anything that bunches up or billowy, which is a stark contrast to him being in a Trust Order, and his robes marking him a member of the Blue Order of the Sky.

And then AJ
http://wiki.avlis.org/PCs:AJ

Vital Statistics as Human:
Height: 6ft. 6in.
Weight: 225 lbs.
Hair Color: Black
Eye Color: Brown
Build: Has a Runners, Athletic Build
Skin tone: Slight Tan

Appearance as Human:
Being a Changeling, AJ takes on different Facial features, hair styles, and even beard styles, when it suits his purposes. He usually can be recognized by wearing his prized cloak, a cloak from the Flame Prince. The otherworldly material has a soft feeling to him, and the slight brimstone odor it has, conjures visions of adventure in fair away realms. Unlike others of his Race, he is open about being a Changeling, though he doesn't advertise it to others.

Pleth is the Best!
AJ is Arcadia's Brother

Dear whoever is reading this.
You're beautiful, and someone out there is crazy about you.
So smile.
Life is too short to be unhappy.
Brayon

Timezone: GMT -5

PostAuthor: GunnJ » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:55 pm

There is this thread which is somewhat similar, if you want to learn about other PC's.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=116825&
“If you can’t take the heat, don’t tickle the dragon.”
GunnJ
CCC
CCC

PostAuthor: The Dasair » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:28 pm

Ooh. That is fun and useful, thanks GunnJ. :>

Also, here is a doodle I did for a Solveig. It was pretty quick, and no idea if it looks like her or not but I tried!

The Dasair

PostAuthor: Xaila » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:22 pm

FIIIIIRE. :hot: She's cute, she actually kinda looks like my mental image of Younger!Solveig.
We're all burning out, fading away
Like the passing light of day...

Player of:
Solveig Tcharov - Friendly Fire Award '11, Skywalker Award '11
Ambrose Longstreet
Maliha
Xaila

Timezone: EST (-5/-4 summer)

PostAuthor: silverfields2 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:23 pm

Heh, my husband gave me a drawing of MJ through AvatarArt last Christmas. My wiki page, journal and the first drAft of MJ are in my signature links. I should see the last rendering in full color any day now.
Comrades Fill No Glass For Me - Stephen Foster
Oh! comrades, fill no glass for me
To drown my soul in liquid flame
For if I drank, the toast should be
To blighted fortune health and fame.
silverfields2
QA Tester
QA Tester

Timezone: GMT -5

PostAuthor: maxinion » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:45 pm

silverfields2 wrote:Heh, my husband gave me a drawing of MJ through AvatarArt last Christmas. My wiki page, journal and the first drAft of MJ are in my signature links. I should see the last rendering in full color any day now.

beautiful!
maxinion

DM Avatar: Andrinor

PostAuthor: Jazz » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:51 pm

That's really nice, MJ.
Jazz

Timezone: GMT +1/+2

PostAuthor: luminance » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:29 am

Oh god, um. I think about this stuff a lot because I draw them, too. I can tell you all about Andy's nose and it would be incredibly boring.

Miranda:
Sort of a short and heavy build. She used to be very underweight but gained a lot through like, you know, eating regularly and sitting around in libraries all the time. She has a nice "hourglass" figure though, so she carries the weight fairly well and still has got a small(ish) waist even though there's no way she could fit into her old clothing. :p Her hands and feet are pretty small, but her fingers are sort of child-like rather than delicate or "feminine." Left is skeletal of course, but still as tiny as her right.

She is not a pretty girl by any means and is kind of plain, freckled, and frumpy. She does not wear any makeup and has naturally light eyelashes and eyebrows. Combined with the amount of sleep she gets and all the reading she does, I see her as having kind of dark circles under her eyes all the time, but then she has very light grey sort of "sharp"-looking eyes which creates sort of a weird contrast. SHE IS FUNNY-LOOKING.

She has a little upturned sort of nose, a round face, thick (almost bushy) eyebrows, and then an almost out of place, very pretty mouth. She has ears, haha. I don't see them as anything notable, they are not pierced and usually covered in hair, which is ginger red, fine, and a little bit dry and dull. I always draw her hair too nice because I love drawing hair. Her hair used to be long long long but I think she cut it at some point? It probably hits just under her chin but is a very plain style, she probably did it herself with a knife so it's a bit rough.

Andy is not very comfortable in her own body and tends to dress relatively modestly, more now than when she was younger. She's usually covered neck to toe and likes simple, practical clothing. She has kind of a THING for ruffles though and really likes pretty dresses when she gets to wear them, but always feels self-conscious. If she does show skin, it's usually on her legs, which are sort of disproportionately spectacular compared to the rest of her body. She NEVER shows skin on her torso or midriff.

She is introverted and awkward and tends to slouch and shy away from eye contact like 90% of the time. Playing her lately, she always feels like she just wants to go curl up in a corner and read alone somewhere.

LUEALI:
Because apparently I love polar opposites, Lue! In capslock!

He is tall for an elf (though not as tall as Myst) and otherwise a very typical-looking sun elf/high elf/whatever. He's deeply tanned and has golden-blonde hair and deep green eyes. He has the sort of metabolism that makes it hard for him to put on a healthy amount of weight so he's very, very thin. Despite that he's pretty much a healthy dude who just happens to be scrawny as hell. He has nice clear almond-shaped elfy eyes and thick, healthy, curly hair, which is shorter than his model suggests but honestly, it's been a while since he has cut it so it's probably getting long again. He has elfy ears that point mostly UP and stay close to his head. He has two piercings in each lobe and wears small silver hoops.

He has more of an "oval" face but his features are all a bit narrow and "sharp." He has thin eyebrows which are blonde like his hair, but then long dark eyelashes, probably dark brown but not black. He has a REALLY long straight nose which I can never draw properly, and his lips are a bit thin and plain. He has awesome clear skin, no visible scars, and large hands with long, thin fingers. It sounds pretty when I describe it but I honestly think he would look a little bit gangly if he didn't dress so well.

Lue is SUPER comfortable with himself and I SWEAR I didn't design him to be opposite world Andy here. He likes having fancy nice clothing and likes it when his clothes make him look good, but he knows literally nothing about fashion and tends to wear whatever tailors or friends put him in. He likes dressing up with fancy robes and embroidery and whatnot, but on a day to day basis, tends more towards basic, simple, and flattering things that he can move in easily. He doesn't really like long robes for adventuring because they get in his way, and he won't wear boots with heels because he doesn't want to risk tripping. He wears a lot of black because he thinks it makes him look clean and formal. Despite his ridiculous amount of confidence, Lue doesn't really go seeking attention and sort of likes conservative fashions and plain colors. He won't wear anything he thinks is garish and DEFINITELY won't go near anything he thinks is feminine.

He is the type who always walks around with a slight smile and he likes to make eye contact with people, especially when engaged in a conversation with them. I think he can be unintentionally "threatening" to some introverts due to this tendency to like, stare them down while they talk. He also likes to try and solve problems by just throwing himself at them and using CHA BEAM and hoping that works so I can see him coming off as annoying or clingy in the right scenario.

Spider:
Haven't really played her here. Dark dark skin, yellow eyes, orange hair with twigs in it, ball for a head, pig nose, pouty lips, chains.

Also thanks for writing these. I totally always want to draw people and I'm terrified to mess it up.
Characters: Miranda Rose, Lueali Myihel, Spider (floaty: Liante), Nymdaer d'Elghinyrr

Kris: Andy is the epitome of compassion and love.
Das: Myst respects Miranda for her knowledge and her rage.

blog
luminance
Lord of Blithering Idiots

PostAuthor: solitude_peace2 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:28 pm

You certainly opened a can of worms.
~~~~~~~-------------~~~~~~~ K@ fan
solitude_peace2
Apprentice Scholar

Timezone: East Coast, USA

PostAuthor: solitude_peace2 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:58 pm

Name: Batali

Race: Likely a half elf
Height: 5'5"
Build: Fit for endurance, stocky for elvish blood (see Mia Hamm)
Hair: Anything but combed. She has an odd light auburn hair that some might call "pink". She wears her hair shorter than shoulder length, for the most part.

Class: Guide (Rogue)

Skin color: Seems like she has the suntan of an outdoor denzien, but a good bath might change your mind.

Eye color: Hazel

Clothing color: She favors "dusty rose" and the rust color helps her to blend into most surroundings.

Clothing style: Batali is dressed for travel. She's bound to be walking the trails and paths, so look for her to be wearing a jerkin and tight trousers. There is something that looks like chainmail under her jerkin and various belts and straps hold her kit in place. She has a matching daggers strapped onto each thigh, they might be made of root or horn. A plain short bow might be in her hand. Her cloak is the same color as her outfit but is definitely plaid, though subdued by a quick dye job.

Tattoos / Markings: Batali shows no marks.

Facial structure: See Mia Hamm.

Expression: Placid. When she's moving from here to there her eyes are taking the world in in huge gulps. When she settles into a chair she is unruffled and somewhat distant. In the most difficult situations she maintains a calm, controlled confidence.Very few things can bring her to a boil

Posture: Relaxed. Always relaxed.

Demeanor:Batali is rather neutral. As a Guide, she will get you to your place and let you take care of your business. Your business is your own. She will likely dive in to help you after you've botched it, but she's not going to get herself killed for your mistakes. If you're one of her few friends its a different story.

Dislikes: Restriction.Color this as Slavery, Banning, Exile, "No Trespassing"... she does not like being told she can't do something.
~~~~~~~-------------~~~~~~~ K@ fan
solitude_peace2
Apprentice Scholar

Timezone: East Coast, USA

PostAuthor: KrisButt » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:03 am

Name: Olyphia Greencavern
Race: Gnoll
Height: 7.5 feet
Weight: 300 lbs, give or take.
Eyes: Kind of beady but expressive, yellow irises and big, round pupils.

Build/anatomy: A brick- duh nuh nuh nuh- hooooouse. She's broad-shouldered, thick-necked, and sturdy. She has stubbier legs and longer, meaty arms that give her a gorilla-ish stance, and she's thick muscle. Think strongman. She has yellowed teeth (a few missing from the right side of her mouth), an underbite, scars that leave little patches of missing hair in some places, and her ears are tattered a bit. Olyphia stands with a hunch, bringing her height down a few inches and emphasizing a cavemanish appearance.

Fur/hair: She's patterned after a spotted hyena: yellowy-grey-brown coat with a light colored belly and dark brown and black extremities. She has spots in her mane and along her neck/shoulders/biceps/back/thighs. Her mane reaches to her mid-back, but is kept under her armor because it's not actually head-hair and is kind off attached as it goes down. She also has two thick braids and some bangs that poof out from that little helmet.

Armor/clothing: Oly thinks clothes are stupid. She only wears a loincloth because someone told her it was for her own good. Her chest plate is two sizes too big- she keeps magic bags and all her belongings in there and pads it with cloth to keep things from falling out. Her armor is usually nicked all to hell and can be rusted in places.

Weaponry: Olyphia carries a big, bloodstained greataxe that she usually shoves into the back of her armor in favor of carrying an actual holster. I'm bad at drawing weapons so I haven't designed it, but it's rather generic.

Expression: She mostly grins stupidly and giggles. Sometimes she frowns, and can even sneer if someone pisses her off, but Oly's usually dopy and good-natured. If she's frightened she tends to tuck her tail, huddle, and whine a lot.

Likes: Fighting, axes, weapons, food, children and cats(not as food), dueling, wrestling, plants, and whapping people heartily on the back.

Dislikes: Magic, mind spells, ghosts/spirits, lightning.

Ref photo: Her wiki in my signature has a pretty okay doodle of her on it. I'll scrape up some more later.
Das: Kris is a badass butt toucher who axes people and throws darkelves.

Character(s): Arik Thaedis, Olyphia Greencavern, Eusto Lisianthus, Neily
KrisButt
Knight of Useless Drivel

PostAuthor: Isadora » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:09 am

Her description is on the wiki as well as in-game.

But if I had to make it really easy for an artist, I'd say she most resembles this photo of Sinead O'Connor,
only with pale blue (almost grey) eyes, and platinum hair/eyebrows. I know it's an obvious choice for a bald celebrity but Flowera's bone and facial structure is exactly that + elf ears. Although it's a black and white photo her skin definitely is that pale.

-Her hair is often shaved but in many spots the flesh is waxy and hair won't grow there.

-She wears something like a surgical mask to cover her mouth and bottom half of her nose, but often when she smiles the smallest millimeter of her lips extend beyond it. The mask is made of silk thin enough to breathe through but dark black enough to obscure. It is attached with two filament gold chains, on either side (4) that trail up to her oval-shaped emerald earrings, of good size. Smaller earrings on either side are plain silver of random but staple shapes (hearts, moons, stars)

-Unusually tall for an elf at 5'3. This only makes her stand out more. Weight? Do I need to? She's very much an elf. Small breasts, lithe figure, curviest at the hips and nowhere else.

-Her clothing is comprised (mostly) of long, layered skirts, vests and suit-shirts with long highly-detailed sleeves and very feminine cuts. Her torso, chest and legs are always fully covered. She HEAVILY favors lace, black, red, silver, and long full-length black gloves. She doesn't display her bow or quiver unless she's in battle.

-She drowns herself in bracelets, necklaces, brooches, chokers, earrings, and rings. She even has numerous small quartz affixed to her wings that sparkle in moonlight and sunlight.
Last edited by Isadora on Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
~:Flowera Jooscia:~
*:Selle Galleaf:*
#:Isadora Arnemeigne:#
"Kingsley's Ho: Because my baby is going to be a wizard and portal rides to Visimontium ain't free"
Isadora
Scholar

PostAuthor: maxinion » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:46 am

~Vintrinia Carnen~

Vintrinia Carnen is a striking young woman, appearing to be in her early-to-mid 20s. Her skin is pale and soft, and generally kept free of makeup except a few accents at her eyes. Those eyes may be her most striking feature-- almond shaped and clear, their bright green color has an almost other-worldly appearance. Her hair, an almost glittering black, is generally cut short and kept loose; small wisps often fall into her eyes, and it is common to see her wiping them away when she is thinking. Her lips rarely form what would be considered a full smile, but often their corners rise into a subtle expression which still appears warm and friendly. She stands at five feet, five inches, with a thin frame that curves with a gentle hourglass shape. Vintrinia favors blacks, reds, greys, and occasionally whites in her clothing. Her fashions are rarely revealing, but instead often emphasize her form in an understated, elegant way. A holy symbol of Andrinor is constantly at her neck, though sometimes underneath her clothing; likewise, an amber ring on her right hand is never removed, and she is often seen wearing a set of small black and red bracelets and holding a magic staff featuring twin revolving lights at its tip. As one of the leading pyromancers and evokers of the Trust, she carries herself with a degree of confidence associated with a veteran battlemage of Ebony. Vintrinia generally watches the world with an expression of mild curiosity before something interesting catches her eye. She speaks in soft tones with carefully constructed sentences, using full names and never contractions; her laughter is usually quiet, though musical. She generally wears a light, fresh, perfume; when she does not, there is a faint smell of ash about her. When casting, particularly anything related to flames, her expression almost lights up with a pure enjoyment that is rarely seen outside of her magic.

Super thanks to Ette for the photoshop work on this!
maxinion

DM Avatar: Andrinor

PostAuthor: Kanos » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:08 pm

When I think of Ariana this is what I see. It is the same model as my Avatar. The only thing missing from both images are her ears which are long and elf like due to her nymph-ish heritage.

Player of Ariana|Quin|Jenai|& Elainee
"The world is hateful and Cruel, But lets save its ass anyway. It is better than being bored." Rook Bartlet Invid Invasion
Skype -- wifey5122@hotmail.com
Kanos
Minor DM
Minor DM

DM Avatar: DreAna

PostAuthor: Kanos » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:19 pm

Special thanks to Ronan for the updated Avatar. I love it!
Player of Ariana|Quin|Jenai|& Elainee
"The world is hateful and Cruel, But lets save its ass anyway. It is better than being bored." Rook Bartlet Invid Invasion
Skype -- wifey5122@hotmail.com
Kanos
Minor DM
Minor DM

DM Avatar: DreAna

PostAuthor: Cougar » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:15 am

Lesli wrote:Took Joeyo's advice and drew a red mage.

Lesli did this awhile back for Gurth. Unfortunately I no longer have the patience to work in Photoshop to color it in. If someone is willing to try I would appreciate it.
I will survive - drunken style
Member of the MadKat / Ghostie / Plethora / Olaf fan club
Cougar
Sage

Timezone: CST

PostAuthor: LadyAwesome » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:06 am

*bump for selfish reasons*
Pia - The Miette Hartley Ribbon for Exceptional Disregard of Allies 2014
LadyAwesome
Major DM, RPotY 2014
Major DM, RPotY 2014

Timezone: GMT +13
DM Avatar: Qinoxitl

Re: Character Refs for Artists and Surprise Fanart (maybe NS

PostAuthor: TwiBel » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:09 pm

*bumps* hey, look what I found!
ni dieu, ni maître.