Uploaded: Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:41 pm

Links Menu

Where did everyone go???

General discussion about Avlis

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Dungeon Masters

Re: Where did everyone go???

PostAuthor: Ashan » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:30 pm

Pathos Street wrote:
Ashan wrote:That sounds like a cool idea maybe make it like the rage system where you get slightly lower xp then your character does when you kill something with said weapon?

Well, yeah, if you want to restrict it to weapons. I was thinking an heirloom item could be a necklace or pair of boots or gem or anything.

Same idea if you kill something Waring /wielding said item no idea if that can be done tho(is not a scripter!)
Player of,
Gurkz
Ashan
Apprentice Scholar

Timezone: gmt

PostAuthor: GunnJ » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:20 pm

bidocks wrote:Also, wanted to say something. I just went to the Bioware NWN forums, and like Spool32 said, there were a bunch of people looking for PW's. Well guess what? I posted an invitation to Avlis and replied with Avlis-centric answers and links to at least three others looking for PW's. Who knows how much this will help? But.... if EVERYONE started doing this? Ummmm.... can you say BANDWAGON EFFECT? I think we'd have some new players which could help a lot.

Wait, wait, the Bioware forums are back up?? Since when?
“If you can’t take the heat, don’t tickle the dragon.”
GunnJ
CCC
CCC

PostAuthor: Pathos Street » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:21 pm

Not back up, per se. But there are Neverwinter Nights forums
Fergus Goodmane
White Order of the Light
-----
Xiaou wrote:Being the big bad wolf is a responsibility.
Pathos Street
King of Avlis Charades

Timezone: CDT (GMT -5)

PostAuthor: loki70 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:59 pm

Ashan wrote:
Pathos Street wrote:
Ashan wrote:That sounds like a cool idea maybe make it like the rage system where you get slightly lower xp then your character does when you kill something with said weapon?

Well, yeah, if you want to restrict it to weapons. I was thinking an heirloom item could be a necklace or pair of boots or gem or anything.

Same idea if you kill something Waring /wielding said item no idea if that can be done tho(is not a scripter!)

It would give the level 40s something to kill for again...other than the joy of listening to them scream...
Anomandari: You're the perfect needle for our balloons.
loki70
QA Resource

Timezone: gmt -7

PostAuthor: nihprodne » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:38 am

Aramithran wrote:Oh, and please someone either try to stop me or help me. That would be greatly appreciated.

This can be arranged...MUAHAHAHAHA

Fereal it's simple...make it worth logging into play...

I'm sorry but following ten people on a terribly linear point A to point B quest seems the norm. Why not use the client to try to mug someone, present them with a moral dilemna, test their will power/faith/alignment, or just possess an NPC and have a meaningful conversation to explore what really makes a PC tic.

Just make players react instead of making them watch!

Look you don't need huge groups and epic plotz to make this shit interesting, you just need to be engaging...this whole chicken or egg thing i'm reading is steaming bag of poo, and a total cop out statement...DM's can't log onto a server (omg So and SO is on wilds!) without causing a mass influx of players logging in, so spare me...

sorry, honesty...

kthnx
-Nihp

P.S. yeah i've moved on, but it doesn't mean I can't be wishful in thinking that maybe such a unique and awesome experience as Avlis (and nwn PW's in general) sometimes was might possibly not be dead. A fella can dream...
Last edited by nihprodne on Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
NO!!!
nihprodne
Apprentice Scholar

Timezone: MT

PostAuthor: GimpGenius » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:43 am

Between working overtime, applying to med school, and gearing up for a possible deployment, I don't get a whole lot of time to play. I still read/troll the boards though... and I did have a small idea for some quick player-driven RP sessions. Hell, maybe I'll just post about that in another thread.

I do like seeing people around after 5+ years of playing though... game on. :D

GimpGenius
Apprentice Scholar

PostAuthor: Manuel the White » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:09 am

I'm back and happy about it.

Cool. I can unpack the car. Don't make me come down there!

Yeah, the game is old. There are a finite number of players in the world. It would be best to position ourselves to make Avlis attractive to each type.

There is the "recruitment group" consisting of:
New players
Returning players
Relocating players - those looking for a different PW; transitioning

For Recruitment Group:

* A fixed section on the main website and wiki that says exactly how to start playing would be helpful.
* Three links to the most affordable ways to buy NWN Platinum for potential players. Especially if we can get sale referral kickbacks.
* I've always needed the NWN critical rebuild executable to play. Grab this and add it to the download list.
* A single downloadable hakpak/tlk/music installer would be helpful. Yes, it's big but broadband is now and MadK@ did some consolidations. I did this originally in .Net but can do it in Java as well. It's harder to do a delta update (just missing or update files) and that's not very beneficial for new, re-locating and returning players (if the returning players need a fresh install).

the easiest way to turn them away is to tell them that 15-30 minutes after creating your character, you will have to wait a week

Within reason, remove any obstacle that diminishes the number of new players coming into Avlis. This is one of them. The issue can be handled in multiple ways. It sounds like the Team already has something in mind. Even so, engaging the player community with meaningful discussion useful.

my little level one charged in and attacked the god

A LOT of players on Avlis *coughs * had no clue when they started playing. I'd rather they get some hack-n-slash in and grow to love the RP than get frustrated early and bail. I made the mistake once of RP'ing with a newbie *too much* using Manuel. He wanted to go hunting with his lowbie and Manuel wanted to have some lengthy religious discussion. The player, a RL friend of another player, said NWN was "slow" and decided to try something else. Ooops.

Within reason, remove any obstacle that diminishes the number of RETURNING players to Avlis. The "welcome back" XP is a nice lure/feature/whatchamacallit .. but it's not advertised. Put it out there for folks to see. I quick level is very appealing to former Avlis addicts. Let's help them off the wagon and forgo the sobriety.

Existing players - the retention group:

Adore the idea of more systems. More everything, really. Races, classes, specialties (ala AMS, Barbarian Rage), quests, and what have you. Whatever adds depth and variety is fabulous. The heirloom idea seems really neat. I'd be happy to help with these type efforts.

Weekly, scheduled events have been very nice. It keeps people connected and ensures some DM interaction which all players enjoy.
ACTIVE CHARACTERS: Casey Landry, Jessie Morrice
SOMETIMES CHARACTERS: Silinde, Luthias
INACTIVE CHARACTERS: Manuel (the White) Thay't Le'Megen, Zven Reaplenoose, Drashter Volterz
Manuel the White
Team Member; Retired with Honors

PostAuthor: Micah » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:48 pm

Awesome ideas, Manuel. Fine insights.
voidHamlet sneaks up to Micah's skirt, minding the penguin

One does not simply walk into Texas.
Micah
Lead Producer

Timezone: GMT-5
DM Avatar: Pelar

PostAuthor: Tony Wazz » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:47 am

Okay. This is the way I see things and how I feel. This may be skewed by personal experiences here, but that is part of the interaction of the player and DM base. This isn’t to ruffle feathers and maybe some insight can be gained or seen, from someone else’s perspective.

The last four or five times I have been on, it’s been dull. As several other players have noted, the lack of interaction of other players being around has had a HUGE influence on why I have not been playing too often anymore. I sat on Elysia and Ferrell for several hours without anyone to talk to. I am more the type to enjoy other people controlling the conversation, than I am when I have to be the center of attention. With nobody to direct conversation, I’ve sat alone with 0-2 other characters someplace on the server(s).

I don’t normally initiate ‘tells’ to find out where the action is. When I started here…a number of years back, I didn’t have to. The place was full of all sorts of people and finding interaction was almost impossible NOT to run into. Now I have to search for it. This, again, relates to player population. So…I end up logging off and playing another game or watching TV. The purpose of the game is entertainment. When there isn’t any, I go elsewhere to find it, and I imagine others do too.
The XP system has been fine. I like how it is and the two characters which I play regularly are old in terms of years on the player world. One, Unen, was my very first character I made when I first logged into Avlis. Over the years these characters have gained some nice experiences, background, history, and even some nice items. None of that is nice with nobody to play with.

Get involved! Okay, I have some normal issues with keeping up o things. 1). I work a 12 hour night shift. 2). Have a family that desired my interaction. 3). Have school part time. 4). Have a household to run… grass to cut, dishes to wash, all sorts of stuff to fix, and so on. I imagine others also fall into this category. I can’t play every day for hours.

Why is that important to Avlis? Repeatedly, over the years I have had players either post on the boards, chat in irc or even in party conversation, explain that those who do have the freedom to play for hours all the time, deserve the rewards for being involved. That does sound reasonable. It is hard to argue with that and they are very correct in many ways. Sooo….where does that leave the rest of us who cannot be here all the time? What happens when the plot lasts for months and we are disconnected within a week or two because we have the unfortunate reality of … real life?

My experience has been that I lose track of what is going on, it becomes actual work to keep up and I find myself not enjoying playing the game because it’s yet another thing I have to work on…not enjoy.

This also means the ingame bonds that are maintained by people who can be here all the time, are not maintained by those who never really get to establish them within those same groups.

Start adding this all together. It’s not one thing that breaks the fun bank. It’s a cumulative effect.

Okay on to another subject that was touched on here. Public events, all are welcome! Well after years of fighting the lag of big events, I just don’t find them so fun. That’s not to say the content is faulty, but rather the hardware don’t take it so well. It’s a great idea and I have had fun in them, but the fun in diminished by the lag, graphics chop. I don’t think there is much that can be fixed here, but it’s worth mentioning only because it is a contributing factor. Now-a-days I steer clear of those, in part for that reason. What’s the other part? Well, often, not always, there are 2-3 people who know everything of what is going on or how to handle the research, plot advancement, and have a large history of this type of interaction. Great for them! That leaves the rest of us , who are trying to acclimate, as monster fodder or errand doers. That makes people feel unimportant and when people feel unimportant, they move on to things they feel they can be useful with.

Crafting! I have very much enjoyed the crafting systems that are in place! I had my main get into alchemy because the static drops years back had been very broken and survival type stuff like healing kits and good healing potions had to be bought. This means coin was going toward survival items and not cool gear! It made a demand for people who can make that stuff. With the tables dropping things more realistically, the need for someone who can make potions (all types) and kits has dwindled. Why craft or buy crafted stuff when I can run through a dungeon and collect it all up for free AND get XP while I restock my supplies?

I have run with Sable of Ra-Gul with many fighter/Barb types that have so many potions and charged items that they switch out between battles that even mages and clerics are not needed. I watch some of these folks hit for over 100 points of damage per swing because they tweaked their character build to put out massive damage…with that 1-8 damage sword with one or two layers of elemental damage, plus other magic enhancements. Even a monk can do 1-20 per hit base, which is WAY better then 1-8 per hit base….so why is my monk character only doing 20-40 damage as I follow a guy with that 1-8 base damage sword doing over 100 points on almost every hit? They built their character for doing damage, perfectly fun and legit! I’ve had that 1-20 damage base tossed at me in irc, how amazingly good that is. I’m just not seeing it. So, this is discouraging. This is also correct, it is awesome. I am also too foolish to attempt to build my character to take advantage of those available game mechanics. So I and up thinking that, “yeah, it’s my fault. It’s not fun.” Player base -1.

Well maybe I can get a better item. Maybe that will give me some renewed interest. So I tossed it out there. I was informed that there are awesome items out there. Somebody make x number of awesome items for specific people. Okay, apparently the rest of us were not part of that x number. I must not be as welcomed or important as those x characters. So, I lose interest. Anyone suppose that others have felt the same?

Start adding this all together. It’s not one thing that breaks the fun bank. It’s a cumulative effect.

I tried for a bit over a real life year to gain an AMS ability. I had a well known player/character trying to help. That player had plots and interaction for their own entertainment. This is very understandable. We all play to be entertained. I don’t blame that player and I still very much like and respect that player/character. I also finally gave up on it, though. I have seen several characters gain their desired ability within weeks. I can’t get it within years. I must not be important enough to spend the time on as are those others.

As in real life, within the game there are people that we don’t want to be around. People have personalities that often translate through their characters. As the player base shrinks, the options of who to play with shrink. I’m not interested in playing with someone who constantly regards themselves as better. Who caters to their own every whim (which is okay) but expects everyone else to regard them highly, too. Okay. I’m glad your characters lover is a God, or you are the child of the first dragon or you are the only living mortal to have been taken back to the beginning of time. The rest of us want to enjoy the game, too. Having history rewritten to fit your character takes from the rest of the characters that are not aware that history changed to fit your ego. You are having fun, which is good! I’m going to go elsewhere to find a way to have fun.

Last subject. Yes, Drotid invaded and took a major player gathering place. While this had some more immediate not-so-great effects, I figured it’s good to adapt. After all, a major numbers of good players have gone on and on about adapting their characters to add to the game or situation. This enhances the game world. So….I tried to adapt one character and decided to make a new character to be a part of the new atmosphere. Evolve with the game, right? So many people , that previously went on about adapting…didn’t. A handful players/characters on both sides did a good job of making the best of a new situation. Some of them are still here, too. This is great, But so many are not, so many didn’t adapt at all. They are gone. I sit on the server alone. I’ve never had my groups (I’m a part of several guilds) enjoy a dedicated DM who grew to know each member over time- apart from the DM I had for the short period of the Drotid side of things. That DM did a great job. I can’t say I liked that DM’s regular characters….but I was shown the difference between the player/DM and that player’s characters. That was VERY important and even inspiring. Glory! Unfortunately, time and the greater resistance to the world change took it’s toll on the new environment and that situation didn’t last.
So, back to the usual expected host of situations and frustrations mentioned above, aand a host of others that just seem unimportant individually. But start adding them together and it’s not any one thing that breaks the fun bank…

I do hope not one person will find offence in any of this. We are all people and imperfect. We are all self-centered and self-serving to some degree. We are all good natured in our own perception and individual intent. We all do things that have repercussions that are not intended. I guess the question is: How does it become better?

I have some reluctance to post this, as it never seems to go well. I have written post like this several times over the years....and not hit the submit button. I don't want to be hurt NOR do I wish to hurt others. Maybe someone will look through the individual situations and find some wisdom or solution from it. I’m sure many others have been in situations that reflect the same. We don’t always know the best way to say it, though, and choose to quietly move on, instead of adding voice to the turbulence we feel. Doing that helps nothing. I have finally learned this.
Tony Wazz
Sage

Timezone: GMT -6

PostAuthor: loki70 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:41 am

You write too much...make brain hurt...
Anomandari: You're the perfect needle for our balloons.
loki70
QA Resource

Timezone: gmt -7

PostAuthor: GunnJ » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:48 am

Tony, I realize it took a lot to write all that out, and I can see where those are legitimate problems, but now that you've thought through each of these problems, what solutions do you suggest?
GunnJ
CCC
CCC

PostAuthor: Gumble Tinkertumble » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:19 am

Speaking about inclusion and not knowing about what is going on in game, I think there should be a strictly OOC forum that relates events for all the servers. We are all big enough to accept that it is OOC and will not use it to our advantage in game. Call it the Avlis Timeline of Events forum or something.

At the moment I suspect there is still a lot of stuff that happens behind closed doors which only a select few get to hear about.
Gumble Tinkertumble
Sage

Timezone: GMT

PostAuthor: Cerridwyn » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:37 am

One thing too about City of Aribeth and some of the other PWs that have more players playing that we have to remember: They have a LOWER age limit than we do. Younger players generally have more time to play in the summertime--so not sure how realistic it is to compare ourselves with their almost full servers. I know for a fact that City is two years lower than us. How can I, who works full time night shift, goes to school part time and has a home to take care of compete with a 14 year old with nothing much to do in hours to play? I can't. I might get to play once every couple of weeks now if I'm lucky. More often if I just decide that sleep is over rated.

Also I think that Brian made some good points about the lowbie cap. That needs to be looked at and tweaked a little, if we could. And Tony made good points about...everything.

Because as much as we want to see new players, it's most important to keep the old players interested and hanging around. They are the meat and potatoes of this world--they ones who can pass on the knowledge of what's come before and hand out the lore. If we want people to FOIG about the next baddie that pops up...the old players are still going to have to be here to find out from. So how do we keep them from player burn out and losing them to TV or another PW or game?
Cerridwyn
Gold Contributor

PostAuthor: Merago Jert » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:28 am

Gumble Tinkertumble wrote:Speaking about inclusion and not knowing about what is going on in game, I think there should be a strictly OOC forum that relates events for all the servers. We are all big enough to accept that it is OOC and will not use it to our advantage in game. Call it the Avlis Timeline of Events forum or something.

At the moment I suspect there is still a lot of stuff that happens behind closed doors which only a select few get to hear about.

I've actually been thinking about this myself lately. I'm sure there are a ridiculous number of scripted quests out there that I (and others) haven't got a clue about. Perhaps the old FOIG phrase (bless it) has had it's day? I think it's safe to assume that the people who are still around Avlis these days are dedicated enough to roleplay that they can distinguish between IC and OOC info. Would a list of some of the scripted quests, including start points, and any relevant info to get things started, be possible (or is there such a thing already?)? Back when the servers were busy, I guess it wasn't too hard to FOIG about various bits and bobs going on in the world, but it's hard to FOIG when there's no one in game (or should that be IG? ;) ). Maybe a list of quests would kickstart people trying out a quest or dungeon they didn't know about before should they log in when the servers are empty. It might also encourage a group to organise a scheduled get together to tackle one of the dungeons.
Merago Jert
Scholar

PostAuthor: Gumble Tinkertumble » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:35 am

Merago Jert wrote:
Gumble Tinkertumble wrote:Speaking about inclusion and not knowing about what is going on in game, I think there should be a strictly OOC forum that relates events for all the servers. We are all big enough to accept that it is OOC and will not use it to our advantage in game. Call it the Avlis Timeline of Events forum or something.

I've actually been thinking about this myself lately. I'm sure there are a ridiculous number of scripted quests out there that I (and others) haven't got a clue about. Perhaps the old FOIG phrase (bless it) has had it's day? I think it's safe to assume that the people who are still around Avlis these days are dedicated enough to roleplay that they can distinguish between IC and OOC info. Would a list of some of the scripted quests, including start points, and any relevant info to get things started, be possible (or is there such a thing already?)? Back when the servers were busy, I guess it wasn't too hard to FOIG about various bits and bobs going on in the world, but it's hard to FOIG when there's no one in game (or should that be IG? ;) ). Maybe a list of quests would kickstart people trying out a quest or dungeon they didn't know about before should they log in when the servers are empty. It might also encourage a group to organise a scheduled get together to tackle one of the dungeons.

Maybe just a list of quest givers and their locations would do it. If people know where to look then that should be enough to get them started.
Gumble Tinkertumble
Sage

Timezone: GMT

PostAuthor: GunnJ » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:35 am

There is a list of dungeons on each server, so this should help.

The board discussion and a list of dungeons: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=111733&
A spreadsheet guide, but not complete: https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key ... utput=html

There used to be a posting each week or so giving a list of lots of FOIG related information. Things like "did you know that the goblins in northeastern Elysia got a HUD loan? Go find out how!" I thought they were stickied somewhere, but after a quick search I can't find them. perhaps these can be made more prominent, and also added to, its been a while since the last post?
GunnJ
CCC
CCC

PostAuthor: Brayon » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:46 pm

GunnJ wrote:There is a list of dungeons on each server, so this should help.

The board discussion and a list of dungeons: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=111733&
A spreadsheet guide, but not complete: https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key ... utput=html

There used to be a posting each week or so giving a list of lots of FOIG related information. Things like "did you know that the goblins in northeastern Elysia got a HUD loan? Go find out how!" I thought they were stickied somewhere, but after a quick search I can't find them. perhaps these can be made more prominent, and also added to, its been a while since the last post?

They were called "Things You Might Not Have Found Out In Game," or something like that. Spool32 was the one heading that list up, and I believe Hamlet, or someone else, wikified it. However, my search-fu is lacking today, as I can not find them.

Pleth is the Best!
AJ is Arcadia's Brother

Dear whoever is reading this.
You're beautiful, and someone out there is crazy about you.
So smile.
Life is too short to be unhappy.
Brayon

Timezone: GMT -5

PostAuthor: Brayon » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:58 pm

Don't forget Avlis is part of a greater alliance of PWs, in the CoPaP family. There are three other worlds to explore, and what affects one of them, affects all of them.

There has been a great number of good suggestions in this thread, about recruitment. Think of CoPaP as a whole, and link with players on the other worlds, and spread a recuritment drive between all of us. Use the CoPaP website for advertisement. Each world has a News section on it, and the DMs have a place where they can talk to each other. Joint Adventures that span all 4 worlds, would be great!

Pleth is the Best!
AJ is Arcadia's Brother

Dear whoever is reading this.
You're beautiful, and someone out there is crazy about you.
So smile.
Life is too short to be unhappy.
Brayon

Timezone: GMT -5

PostAuthor: solitude_peace2 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:02 pm

Very well spoken.
Tony Wazz wrote:Okay. This is the way I see things and how I feel....

I don’t normally initiate ‘tells’ to find out where the action is. When I started here…a number of years back, I didn’t have to (now you do.Toss that Tell out there).

My experience has been that I lose track of what is going on, it becomes actual work to keep up and I find myself not enjoying playing the game because it’s yet another thing I have to work on…not enjoy (Heard! Just to catch up on everythig happening in Avlis I feel like I spend my first 45 min of "play time" reading the Forum. I stopped reading "everything", figuring that Nero doesn't know what's happening in the room in Visi.) .

Okay on to another subject that was touched on here. Public events, all are welcome! Well after years of fighting the lag of big events... there are 2-3 people who know everything of what is going on ...leaves the rest of us... as monster fodder or errand doers. That makes people feel unimportant and when people feel unimportant, they move on to things they feel they can be useful with (The heavy price of MANY Events is that the same 2-3 Players step to the front of the group and gather much of the focus. Not a bad thing, unless you're the one being shoved aside constantly).

I am also too foolish to attempt to build my character to take advantage of those available game mechanics. So I and up thinking that, “yeah, it’s my fault. It’s not fun.” Player base -1.(+1)

Start adding this all together. It’s not one thing that breaks the fun bank. It’s a cumulative effect.(+1)

Okay. I’m glad your characters lover is a God, or you are the child of the first dragon or you are the only living mortal to have been taken back to the beginning of time. The rest of us want to enjoy the game, too(Some folks realize that for everyone to have fun everyone has to be involved, in some way. (This might be my fondest wish for Avlis, that more Players would be generous while playing. That does not mean giving your stuff away. That means stepping to the side and letting other Players enjoy some lovin. It means more to me, and makes my PC a bit deeper, to have to actually struggle to get that "thing", rather than to ride your coat tails and just get that thing.).

I have written post like this several times over the years....and not hit the submit button...and choose to quietly move on, instead of adding voice to the turbulence we feel.(+1)
~~~~~~~-------------~~~~~~~ K@ fan
solitude_peace2
Apprentice Scholar

Timezone: East Coast, USA

PostAuthor: solitude_peace2 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:08 pm

Gumble Tinkertumble wrote:
Merago Jert wrote:

Maybe just a list of quest givers and their locations would do it. If people know where to look then that should be enough to get them started.
...or just send that new Player's PC out on a known quest. Let them ask around. assemble a Party and get 50 Minotaur Horns... show me two keys to the Proving Grounds... one key to an Orchard... have this sword melted down by a djin.
~~~~~~~-------------~~~~~~~ K@ fan
solitude_peace2
Apprentice Scholar

Timezone: East Coast, USA

PostAuthor: Orleron » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:04 pm

I want to throw a small bone to the folks who say that we should remove any and all obstacles to new/returning players. My disclaimer is that I know nothing of current Avlis Team culture. I have been away for YEARS, and generally I know that some of those current old timers will just roll their eyes at me as usual thinking that I'm trying to make a buck. So be it. :finger: Here goes.

What I DO know about is HOW and WHY most of our current culture originated.... because I played a ginormous role in that. Most of what we do today has roots in my time, and in me.

The whole FOIG thing was based on a deep premise: that Avlis should exist as a living world online.

That's IMPORTANT to know if you want to understand this place. My original intent was that we could set up an independent living universe on the computer that specialized in immersion. Hence, though I did not coin the term FOIG, it came about because of the premise. We did not want people doing "stratics" on our world and dissecting it OOC so they could "win Avlis".

The other important part of the premise is this: that there will be a LOT of people online keeping this thing going.

I won't rehash the entire thread, which covers that premise. Suffice to say, we don't have the people we used to have, and in order to get more, we may need to rethink the first premise a bit. Obviously doing away with the substance and RP would be out of the question. The community wouldn't stand for it, but it might benefit from a "feature marketing" approach that trounces the FOIG notion a bit.

Btw, marketing our features is not verboten. I did it frequently in the past and it worked. Bioware Wednesday anyone?

Game on....
"Truth has no form."
--Idries Shah

World of Avlis Page

Avlis Project FAQ
Orleron
World Advisor, Co-founder
World Advisor, Co-founder

PostAuthor: Stravento » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:41 pm

I think that:
1) tweaking xp code
2) reducing some of the foig limits
3) expand marketing efforts
4) maximize the flow of communication, create calendars of events

are all very good ideas and very useful ones and I am sure the team will figure them out.

But there is also something to do for us, and it is in my opinion the most challenging part, but as usual also the most fun part.

Solitude has summarized it well:

This might be my fondest wish for Avlis, that more Players would be generous while playing.

In particular I think that the people that have more time to play, the people that have played a long-time, people that run guilds, should make sure that the more casual players have fun. After organizing a guild I realized that having everybody feel special and have everybody giving their input is a recipe for fun for all involved. I think that should be the guiding spirit of our rp. We need to start viewing AVLIS as a big guild that we all want to thrive as much as possible. The rewards for those that get involved more are embedded in the game, we need to generate rewards for those that do not have time/energy to get involved.

We are a community, we have stuck together for years, after-all we must have something in common if we are still playing this stupid-old-rusty game and we will keep playing it till the light runs out.

As a wise friend told me recently, a community takes care of its members and goes beyond the stupid game. When we spot a player that is frustrated, and it has happened to all of us to be frustrated so it is easy to recognize the signs, we need to raise our antennas and immediately try to help him/her out to get involved and to have fun. Who cares about the 33 IC reasons why we should not involve such player, we can come up with 3333 new IC reasons to have him/her participate somehow.

And do not think that for your ebul assassin can't be generous, there are very ebul ways to be "generous", after all what counts is the interaction, the fact that at the end of the interaction I am dp, or tricked, or backstabbed, doesn't really matter, what matters is that another fellow player has interacted with me in a smart and fun way and has given importance to my presence, he has allowed me to rp.

Beyond generosity, that is one of my mantra, I think that we need to dare a bit more. Try new things. Are you a member of an old guild that is practically dead? Post a request for help, that would not restore your guild to its golden age, but it might generate a very fun event, try stuff, see what happens. Are you a member of a guild that is at the peak of its energy? Lend such energy to other guilds, NETWORK with them, find way to lend your energy to others. Are you an old player that has seen it all, post a notice that you are looking for apprentices and show avlis around to them once a month.

Also, on a side note, use IRC to advertise IG event, the other day I had organized a stupid event and posting on the forums only I got one participant, I immediately posted on IRC and in 3 minutes we were ten. People are hanging around during the week-end and they want to play. They do not login because they do not see anybody they know in. If somebody organizes anything you immediately get a decent group going (and maybe a dm if you are like like we were last time), and it is a very good way to rp with people you never rp with.
Last edited by Stravento on Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Straccio, Sha-ek, Elil, Arrrco, Gisa, Marco Der'Cornero, Saurr Shorttail, Fasul

In the absence of a place where a genuine reinvention happens, an honest substitute will be a city that shelters a fiction of the reinvention that never occurred.
Stravento
Scholar

PostAuthor: krackq » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:48 pm

There are several outlets and sources and places that I'm certain could be capitalized on to advertise Avlis. Spool32 used to mention that and had a few listed somewhere. All that was needed was someone(s) to put the word out and be a little active and proactive on those forums/websites to regularly push Avlis as a place to check out. Maybe we could come up with the list and have several people work on that. I know there was an Avlis marketing type of group at one time with the idea of pushing Avlis and advertising it. It doesn't solve everything here that people are bringing up, but it would be a way to try to direct the flow of new people to Avlis rather than wait and hope someone will happen upon this place and check it out.

The community is generally very welcoming to new players on the forums from what I've seen. Any time someone says "hey, I'm new and ready to check it out" on the forums there are at least a dozen posts within the hour welcoming them, giving them helpful links to get started, answering questions, etc.
[Celedor Dedwend: [Talk] *turns around and shakes ass before giving it a sharp slap*
Celedor Dedwend: [Party] ((this is my finest RP beyond a shadow of a doubt.. my zenith if you will))
Fydonya Ivythorn: [Party] that's sad celedor..
krackq
Jugglebutt Jones

PostAuthor: PlasmaJohn » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:01 pm

Cerridwyn wrote:One thing too about ... some of the other PWs that have more players playing that we have to remember: They have a LOWER age limit than we do.

Lowering the age restriction means we'd need to crack down on player behavior, install language filters and add to the police burden of the DM's.
Calvin: This is so cool!
Hobbes: This is so stupid.
PlasmaJohn
Team Member; Retired with Honors; Has a Tom Selleck Stache

Timezone: US/Eastern

PostAuthor: Retsof » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:04 pm

Being a newer player (working on two years I think now) I have hit some stumbling blocks and though I know several of the things I can and will say have been said I figure I should voice a few of them.

First issue:The first thing in starting I ran into was the FOIG things, mind you I understand and even like the concept, but try as I did and talking to people I found, finding even a starting manual on basic crafting or a player with the time to devote to step by step creation rp was near impossible, so where I had hope to play out the building of my first sword and the making of my first real metal armor was ended quick, and though now I know a few of these things, I am levels away from it being what I hoped it would be.

Possible answer: The crafting is a sweet system, I love it! But I would love to see basic crafting books on each of the crafting types. Just basic level one recipes and perhaps a pointer or two where to find materials that won't get you eated by a critter you have no hope of out running. There maybe some of these out there, but in 30+ levels I have found only a few crafting books.

Second issue: When I first started I spent hours combing threw shops and always seen new things pop up and selections change all the time! It was great! But not it is only the "walmart" shops that seem to have any action to them.

Possible answer: I know that each vendor represent hours of work and play someone did to get there own shop, but it seems several have laid dormant as players have left. I don't want to say put an axe to all that work, but perhaps there is a way to know which ones are and are not active and maybe move the ones that have not been restocked/used a year or more so that space can be used by those still active. Or even if there was a way for a player to know that shop is a current ran one, maybe a sign stateing the "last shipment arived on X date"

I'm sure I have more, but those are two of the biggest ones that have been on my mind, I will think some more. Thanks for your time!
Kasandra Foundling
Sinjin Slezzo
Retsof
Knight of Useless Drivel

PreviousNext

Return to The Avlis Project: General Discussion