Gallery

Links Menu

Where did everyone go???

General discussion about Avlis

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Dungeon Masters

Where did everyone go???

PostAuthor: Derica » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:17 pm

Hello fellow Avlissians,

It has come to my attention that the servers are barren. Right now there are only two people on all of Avlis.
That is right... all the servers, only two people. It is Saturday folks! Don't tell me you have something else to do! :twisted:
Anyway... I was wondering if Avlis has a season? I have witnessed a flux due to school, so perhaps that is it.
But it seems due to our international following that would not be such an issue (I think that the schools run different schedules?)

So... if our server base is really dropping off to such extremes, perhaps we could be more... aggressive in attaining new membership?
Marketing perhaps? Some SEO for the forum? Dare I suggest Facebook????
Just a suggestion. I really like it here and would hate to see it go... away.
I throw this stuff out here not just to give the team more work to do. I actually have a degree in Graphic Design and own my own business so I know a thing or two about marketing.
If given the ok I would be more than willing to direct the masses to join Avlis already!

I come here to play... and if there is no one to play with... well... not so much fun for me. :(
I await input.

An Avlis fan,
Derica
Tessa Tangletoe: just a little farm girl from a farm in Ferrell
Melisanna: of Dre'Ana
Nad'Ja: you don't want to know...

Derica
Lord of Blithering Idiots

Timezone: EST

Re: Where did everyone go???

PostAuthor: Xaila » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:32 pm

Derica wrote: It is Saturday folks! Don't tell me you have something else to do! :twisted:

I'm one of those poor schlubs who works on Saturday a lot of the time, so I do :(

My level of busy and interest in Avlis wanes and waxes. I think it's the same for a lot of others. It's quite possible that a lot of people are on vacation or doing outside stuff right now.

I think I've noticed that Septemberish is when a lot of people start playing again actually. For some odd reason I always play more when I realistically have the least time to do so.
We're all burning out, fading away
Like the passing light of day...

Player of:
Solveig Tcharov - Friendly Fire Award '11, Skywalker Award '11
Ambrose Longstreet
Maliha
Xaila
Team Member; Retired with Honors

Timezone: EST (-5/-4 summer)

PostAuthor: loki70 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:11 pm

Xaila wrote:
Derica wrote: It is Saturday folks! Don't tell me you have something else to do! :twisted:

I'm one of those poor schlubs who works on Saturday a lot of the time, so I do :(

My level of busy and interest in Avlis wanes and waxes. I think it's the same for a lot of others. It's quite possible that a lot of people are on vacation or doing outside stuff right now.

I think I've noticed that Septemberish is when a lot of people start playing again actually. For some odd reason I always play more when I realistically have the least time to do so.

Yeah, work, family, etc...they really start eating into my goofing off time. Here in a couple months I will be done with my Master's, and have tons of free time, most of which my wife will take up. But I should get a minute or two here and there. When the sun is shining on the weekend, it's time for garden activities.
Anomandari: You're the perfect needle for our balloons.
loki70
QA Resource

Timezone: gmt -7

PostAuthor: Zar'roc » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:27 pm

same here...im up at my warden's house getting ready to leave to go home and get ready for work...4pm to midnight...whoopie. then i have to get up sunday and be into work at 6am, and most of my free time is spent playing Blackops, because I never have the urge to log on, cause I never see many people on and I get bored real easily if I'm the only one on
Player of Shosin Llevan
Also plays as persuasive Mero and Monk Maiden, Shana

Blondy wrote:DP'd is when you character is killed repeatedly for no good reason by 2 DM's. Some of the more lone wolf DM's prefer just to P on you.
Zar'roc
Goober

Timezone: Central

PostAuthor: Ghostie » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:40 pm

Unless I have someone to play with, I don't usually log in. It's boring alone, and there's only so much walking across empty servers you can do. It does seem pretty quiet, but it'll liven up again soon, it usually does.
Your password must contain at least 8 letters, a capital, a plot, a protagonist with good character development, a twist, and a happy ending.
Ghostie

PostAuthor: SaraEF » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:57 pm

It's summer.
SaraEF
RPotY 2014

PostAuthor: Geris » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:23 pm

Things do slow down over the [northern hemisphere] summer months. Down here, Summer = Indoor season, so I'm around a lot. And I love wandering empty servers, but I draw from the holy book of kkns and enjoy emoting at trees, rocks, and NPCs. Never get sick of it!

More advertisement would be an absolutely awesome thing! If you can think of masses to lure into our grasp, you have my vote! Let me know if I can help.
Geris
Roleplayer of the Year 2012

PostAuthor: Sarmanos » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:30 pm

MS going kaput also really lowers the number of people that check out the server lists. If you take a look at PW Story server vault servers it went from being rather full of worlds to pretty much only being CoPaP. Not sure if there's been any advertising on NWVault yet about this fact but there you have it.
Vetinari: I have noted before that you have a definite anti-authoritarian streak, Commander.
Vimes: Sir?
Vetinari: You seem to have retained this even though you are Authority.
Vimes: Sir?
Vetinari: That's practically Zen.
Sarmanos

Timezone: GMT -5

PostAuthor: Pathos Street » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:55 pm

People are around, but there's kind of a critical mass that needs to exist for people to log in sometimes.

You can usually drum up a few people for adventures and excitement in IRC, if all else fails
Fergus Goodmane
White Order of the Light
-----
Xiaou wrote:Being the big bad wolf is a responsibility.
Pathos Street
King of Avlis Charades

Timezone: CDT (GMT -5)

PostAuthor: Xaila » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:45 pm

Pathos Street wrote:People are around, but there's kind of a critical mass that needs to exist for people to log in sometimes.

This is a good point. People on the servers seems to encourage others to log on. Activity attracts activity, and vice versa. IRC is a good venue for rallying the masses to log in and play. I had ideas for using twitter for this too but I don't think many people here use it.

Player of:
Ambrose Longstreet
Maliha
Xaila

PostAuthor: StormShadows » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:40 pm

Well, my computer crashed on Thursday morning, and it still has a ways to go before it is ready to do much.

Beyond that, I do not get on much anymore as it is, since multi-player online RPGs are about RP with other players, and I can never find anyone unless I wait for people to pass through ZVid. Only so much crafting I can do, and I cant stand to just RP to the trees... ;)

And I, also, would like to see Avlis go on Twitter. I keep up with stuff on twitter better than I do on the boards.

StormShadows
Prince of Bloated Discourse

PostAuthor: Gorgon » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:05 am

Xaila wrote:
Pathos Street wrote:People are around, but there's kind of a critical mass that needs to exist for people to log in sometimes.

This is a good point. People on the servers seems to encourage others to log on. Activity attracts activity, and vice versa. IRC is a good venue for rallying the masses to log in and play. I had ideas for using twitter for this too but I don't think many people here use it.

We do see some busy times, but often it is plot related. By that I mean the events aren't publicly advertised. I think the "it's summer, so no one wants to play" thing is crap btw, though the MS bit is hurting us for getting new players who drop by for a peek and get hooked.

What we need are more notices about public events. DM advertised ones with no limit to how many can come along turn into huge mobs that are rarely satisfying... ok, they are, but we all know how rarely a 30+ event is anything more than a point and click "see if you can hit it before someone else kills it" romp, though RP is never lacking. The player organized ones often are much more fun, or the DM ones you sign up for (with limited PCs and often level ranges).

The weekly scheduled ones like the underdark thing are good, but people get used to seeing the notices all the time too. I'm as guilty as anyone for not getting events happening. My "Feeling Lucky" stuff was never disappointing, even the times we got lost and never got where we planned :oops: . FEATing or one shot stuff thought up by anyone else for whatever purpose is always a hoot. Lectures on learning a different language, MMM, crafting lessons for the public (Yay for AKN posts my alt wants to attend, boo for 7:30 am Sunday :P ). Anything goes. Make a post with at least a few days of advance notice, then bump it religiously for whatever IC reason you can think of (Especially in the few hours before the event). People just need an excuse to log in, then the "I see a busy server" factor kicks in and gets more.

*edits to add* You may be surprised how easily a PC event can attract DMs. They are the same as players, and are often just looking for something to do.
"God not only plays dice, he throws them in the corner where you can't see them."
-- Stephen William Hawking (b. 1942) --

Sprucing up ye olde NWN | Modifying nwn.ini and nwnplayer.ini | ~Rare Items Wanted~ | Stealth Modifiers
Gorgon
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster

Timezone: PST -8

PostAuthor: silverfields2 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:52 am

I'm just too busy to play this time of year. I've caught a few events now and again but usually I've got too much stuff to do until it gets cold and dark.
Just hear those sleigh bells jingle-ing, ring-ting tingle-ing, too
Come on, it's lovely weather for a sleigh ride together with you
Outside the snow is falling and friends are calling "yoo hoo"
silverfields2
QA Tester
QA Tester

Timezone: GMT -5

PostAuthor: Manuel the White » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:39 am

Moving folks this weekend and next. Very time consuming. 8 (
ACTIVE CHARACTERS: Casey Landry, Jessie Morrice
SOMETIMES CHARACTERS: Silinde, Luthias
INACTIVE CHARACTERS: Manuel (the White) Thay't Le'Megen, Zven Reaplenoose, Drashter Volterz
Manuel the White

PostAuthor: Darkfire » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:59 am

Darias' computer went out.

<Darkfire> x3 bad hard drives, one windows wouldn't install... then video card drivers caused bsod loop on the next one
<Darkfire> Then got one working finally
<Darkfire> But couldn't find drivers for the mobo
<Darkfire> So no LAN
<Darkfire> So hooked up a USB wireless to it
<Darkfire> Then that randomly stopped working
* Darkfire ended up finally getting the drivers installed, then had to put in a switch in his room because he now has 3 wired computers in it

Still need to reinstall NWN on it as well, or at least try to salvage it from his original hard drive. He's living with me again at the moment, so we usually play the same video games... so I haven't got around to installing NWN yet, thus haven't played as much. Still need to do the Alpha Server stuff as well.

Added more hours at work, trying to buy some property, taking girlfriend to hospital for multiple tests throughout the past couple months and all the stress that goes along with it, and trying to promote my business...

I still check the forums every day though. :)
CoEMF :devil: :feuer:
WrathOG777: This is a roleplaying game. There is no such thing as winning or losing. Only playing.
Player of Dameon Nepirtas
Darkfire
Legacy DM
Legacy DM

Timezone: CST (-5 GMT)

PostAuthor: Ghostie » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:42 am

Gorgon wrote:You may be surprised how easily a PC event can attract DMs. They are the same as players, and are often just looking for something to do.

I agree with this, and the fact that "It's summer" is not the reason enough. Sure, it may be summer, but the weather here is just bloody awful. Besides, you can't be out in the sun all day, or partying, or whatever - even on the rare days the weather is nice.

As for player events, even though I planned that mage tourny a few weeks back, only 1 other mage turned up to duel. One! And this was a week after the MS work around was put in. It was disappointing, to say the least. We did have DMs for a while, and the area was decorated all nice. Other times, events that are player run just start too late for me, I often come on the forums to find PMs in my inbox inviting me to events that happened when I was already in bed asleep.

Marketing sounds good, but the question is, how many people have the NWN CD's, and want to play an old game? I doubt there'd be that many out there to market to.

Another option would be to get a few groups together of people who play in the same timezone and get player events started for those. Trips out to new dungeons, epic places, or just hang around to RP. I'd be up for something like that, most like.
Your password must contain at least 8 letters, a capital, a plot, a protagonist with good character development, a twist, and a happy ending.
Ghostie

PostAuthor: Kip Durrin » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:09 pm

As for player events, even though I planned that mage tourny a few weeks back, only 1 other mage turned up to duel. One! And this was a week after the MS work around was put in. It was disappointing, to say the least. We did have DMs for a while, and the area was decorated all nice. Other times, events that are player run just start too late for me, I often come on the forums to find PMs in my inbox inviting me to events that happened when I was already in bed asleep.

I don't usually bother to post outside of ic anymore, but this is important to me. So here's my 5 cents on doing player events. :) (None of this is directed at anyone in particular, these are just general observations)

Organizing player events can be the greatest experience you've ever had on Avlis, but I think it's more than a bit dishonest to say "just do a player event and everything's going to be awesome" or even suggesting player events are the solution to a dying playerbase.

Player events are tough. I've organized a fair few of them over the year and a half I've been here, and I still haven't figured out what makes people turn up and what doesn't. I've had MMMs with 25+ people and I've had MMMs with 3 people. My poetry workshop on Avlis drew 4 people (2 were still there at the end), the same workshop on Hala drew ~15 and we were never fewer than 10, one of the 3 best events I ever had online. I could go on, but you get the point. You'll pretty much always get a DM, wether you asked for one or not (which is a good thing, don't get me wrong :D), so DM attention is not the problem. In my experience DMs are very supportive with these events, they'll probably do more than you thought they would. Having a DM in the event doesn't get you more people in my experience, but depending on what you do, they can make the event thrice as awesome. I have only positive things to say about the DMs who were involved with my events, so I'll move on before I start gushing. ;)

Be prepared to be disappointed by the turnout. Especially if you put a lot of work into your event up front, people not turning up can hurt. I've worked about two weeks on that poetry workshop to make sure it's accessible to everyone, fun, ~and~ educational, and while the people who were there still made it fun, I sure would have liked to see more than 4. That's the downside of organizing player events. If you can't stand that disappointment and the prospect of seemingly working for nothing, don't do it! It can destroy the fun of playing, and I'll admit the first time this happened to me I was sorely disappointed for a day or two and didn't feel like playing. It's just not a good experience, and I think you have to be aware that that might happen.

Have the event even if it's just 2 or 3 players, it can still work if you can put the disappointment aside. If it's fun you may get more people next time. If you have a recurring event in mind, regularity helps. If you can get a core group of players who will always turn up you're golden. Having the event too often can hurt it.

On the other hand if people do turn up you'll be guaranteed a great night. I can honestly say that the MMMs have generally been the most rewarding events for me, it's just a great feeling when it works. So how do you get people to attend? The thing is, people forget easily. That's just natural, it's only a game. I usully bump the relevant thread a few times the week before the event, mention the event ig icly whenever it seems appropriate, get other people involved who in turn can draw players/characters they know, I try to get some attention by mentioning the event during the few hours before the event on IRC, and so on. The short version of this is talk to people. You may still only get 3 people, see above regarding disappointment. Getting people to come is also part of the workload, if you want to call it that.

Of course none of this is intended to keep you from doing player events, I've never stopped and I've been planning another one for a while. Just be aware of the difficulties you might encounter and don't give up if it doesn't work out right away.

This kind of turned into a how-to, which I didn't intend...but maybe it'll help someone, too lazy to rewrite ;)

Kip Durrin
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: Nighthawk4 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:34 pm

So how about if we have a Trade Fair, or maybe an MMM?

I am on holiday this coming week, so happy to login and DM if people want to turn up for either of these :wink:
Life is never as bad as you think it is, although that doesn't help at the time.

Orleron wrote:I think it's a fun idea if you can idiot-proof it. Problem is God always builds a better idiot. :P

Please visit:
Avlis UK, ACE Forum and SATF Forum

Nighthawk4
Eldest DM
Eldest DM

Timezone: GMT
DM Avatar: DruEl

PostAuthor: Xaila » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:45 pm

I didn't really mean to imply that it being summer is The Reason. I'm sure every season takes out people for various RL things that crop up then (school, the winter holidays, etc). It's just one of the reasons *for me*. For some people summer is the season they keep inside because it's brutally hot out or the weather is abysmal ;) And of course it's not summer for our southern hemisphere friends. I tend to get seasonal depression in the colder months so I lap up the good weather when I can. If I play it tends to be later EST.

Something I've seen used to good effect for event scheduling by people here is doodle. It's better for things with a limited group rather than an open drop-in event.

Player of:
Ambrose Longstreet
Maliha
Xaila

PostAuthor: Xaila » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:46 pm

Nighthawk4 wrote:So how about if we have a Trade Fair, or maybe an MMM?

I am on holiday this coming week, so happy to login and DM if people want to turn up for either of these :wink:

I thought there were IC reasons that neither of those things are happening right now? The last Trade Fair got nixed. Not sure about Trade Fair but a MMM can easily be held outside of Ferrell.

Player of:
Ambrose Longstreet
Maliha
Xaila

PostAuthor: Nighthawk4 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:48 pm

Xaila wrote:

I thought there were IC reasons that neither of those things are happening right now? The last Trade Fair got nixed. Not sure about Trade Fair but a MMM can easily be held outside of Ferrell.

Good point. I forgot that. How about an MMM in Visimontium or somewhere like that then? X:|
Life is never as bad as you think it is, although that doesn't help at the time.

Orleron wrote:I think it's a fun idea if you can idiot-proof it. Problem is God always builds a better idiot. :P

Please visit:
Avlis UK, ACE Forum and SATF Forum

Nighthawk4
Eldest DM
Eldest DM

Timezone: GMT
DM Avatar: DruEl

PostAuthor: Derica » Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:38 pm

I am really glad to see people commenting here.
There may be hope.

I guess what I neglected to say was that I know of people who are playing NWN, but not here.
They found a server that is VERY active and they are playing there.
I am curious how that server, that experienced all the same issues we have with the MS issue and dated game material is more often than having too few players having too many players???
They max out their player base once a week it seems, and not due to DM events or weekend/ holiday times.
I know I am relatively new here, somewhere around one year now I think, and at one time I have been told this server was hopping!
I encouraged all my PNP friends to buy the game which they had NO problem locating be it EBay or whatever.
I just can't get their silly asses in game. I have to work. I will become addicted and do nothing else. Blah Blah Blah.... :?
Anyway... PJ has done an AWESOME job keeping us afloat through the crap with bioware, so that disaster has been avoided.
I just wish that people would get in game rather than in forum or IRC. Is that really fun for you? I am not being critical, just wondering the attraction.
I have been playing my badgirl Nad'Ja nearly extensively cause she can go anywhere in some form or other.
My maiden goes to maiden things but few show up. Tess is part of FEAT and part of the Se'Fassu plot though she feels like a fish out of water, she is dedicated to all things Ferrell and would do anything to save her beloved nation. She helps with MMM's and has had parties of her own at the Port Hole (thank you NH4) and when the Se'Fassu thing is over will have a HUGE bash I am sure. She also has plans of crafting classes once things settle in her homeland. So I totally get the character run events.

I know WE are here... somewhere... weather it be on the forums, IRC, in the garden *is a fellow outdoors junkie*... it is not WE that I am so curious about, it is the others.
We need bodies in game or we will die, plan and simple. If we are all checking the forums and logging to see server capacity and no one is there... no one will be there.
I serious feel like I am on a soap box here and for that I humbly apologize. :oops:

But... let me help... give me a job... I am in over my head in the QA department... so put me somewhere else where I can actually do some good.
Or... tell me to stick it. I am a big girl, I can take it. :roll:

Hope to see each and everyone of you in game soon.

*steps off her soap box and bashes it into a billion pieces so she won't do that nonsense anymore*
Tessa Tangletoe: just a little farm girl from a farm in Ferrell
Melisanna: of Dre'Ana
Nad'Ja: you don't want to know...

Derica
Lord of Blithering Idiots

Timezone: EST

PostAuthor: Kip Durrin » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:03 pm

Nighthawk4 wrote:
Xaila wrote:

Good point. I forgot that. How about an MMM in Visimontium or somewhere like that then? X:|

Visi orphanage sounds good. I'll try to get my ass moving next week when my exams are over. :)

Kip Durrin
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: GunnJ » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:37 pm

Or maybe Visimontium's Bardic Academy? It is designed for performances, not just wedding receptions. ;)

And I figured it was slow on the servers earlier yesterday because there were so many events planned later, everyone was holding off till they had to log in for those?
“If you can’t take the heat, don’t tickle the dragon.”
GunnJ
CCC
CCC

PostAuthor: Katroine » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:56 pm

Derica wrote:
I guess what I neglected to say was that I know of people who are playing NWN, but not here.
They found a server that is VERY active and they are playing there.
I am curious how that server, that experienced all the same issues we have with the MS issue and dated game material is more often than having too few players having too many players???
They max out their player base once a week it seems, and not due to DM events or weekend/ holiday times.

I am curious what server is super busy. I am not looking to switch of course but still curious.

For me, summers are just too busy and too fun to sit at my desk. I usually play more when the days get shorter and the cold weather rolls in.
"However friendly they may seem, they must be corrupt to the core, and I must never forget that."
Katroine

Timezone: Mountain

Next

Return to The Avlis Project: General Discussion