Links Menu

parselog.lua : A NWN Log to HTML Convertor

General discussion about Avlis

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Dungeon Masters

PostAuthor: JollyOrc » Mon Mar 01, 2004 3:13 pm

Code: Select all
lua parselog.lua
start nwmain.exe +connect avlis.blackdagger.net:5121 +password MIKONAPASS

This is my mikona.bat. A simple textile with these two lines in it.

Have fun :)
JollyOrc
QA Resource

Timezone: GMT+1

PostAuthor: Dirk Cutlass » Mon Mar 01, 2004 3:19 pm

Create a plain text file with something like "Notepad" type in the lines like JollyOrc did above, and then save the file. Rename the text file's extension to ".bat", and there you have a "bat file", just double-click on it to kick it off.
Dirk Cutlass
Elder Sage

PostAuthor: Diamond » Mon Mar 01, 2004 4:07 pm

Cool, this is neat stuff.

Diamond
Contributor

PostAuthor: Furin » Mon Mar 01, 2004 7:46 pm

JollyOrc wrote:
lua parselog.lua

This is my mikona.bat. A simple textile with these two lines in it.

Have fun :)

A little more detail for tech-averse folks:

As Dirk says, a BAT file is really just a plain ol' text file with a different file extension--that file extension tells the operating system to interpret the text in the file as a little set of instructions for your operating system. In this case, the first line of the BAT says:
"run the executable file (i.e., program) called lua, and when you run it tell it to process the lua input file called parselog.lua"
And the second line says:
"run the executable file (i.e., program) called nwmain.exe, and when you run it give it the following keywords: +connect avlis.blackdagger.net:5121 +password <the Mikona password>"

The OS then does these things, and the two programs it tells to run do their bit, and you get the nifty results you want.

A catch: when you put into the BAT file the names of the programs and files it should process (in this case lua, parselog.lua, and nwmain.exe), it needs to know where to find them. If the BAT file is in the same directory (i.e., folder) as those files, then everything's cool. If not, however, the BAT file will complain that it can't find the files you mention. This is why it's important to put both the lua files and your BAT in the same directory as the rest of your NWN stuff.
If you want, you can then put a shortcut to your BAT onto your desktop.

I personally have a BAT for connecting to each server, and then I've got a shortcut to each on my desktop.

Furin
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: Dralix » Mon Mar 01, 2004 8:12 pm

Furin wrote:I personally have a BAT for connecting to each server, and then I've got a shortcut to each on my desktop.

Then get yourself a wireless keyboard that allows you to define 5 favourite commands, and you have 5 servers at your fingertips while you lean back and relax. :D

Dralix
Silver Contributor

PostAuthor: FunkOdyssey » Mon Mar 01, 2004 8:16 pm

Thats pretty sick idea... I have a keyboard with programmable keys, I'm going to try it.
FunkOdyssey
Sage

PostAuthor: Dralix » Mon Mar 01, 2004 8:18 pm

Programmable in this sense refers to buttons for up to five favorites. They are labelled 1-5. Hit the "show favorites" button and it brings up a dialogue where you can assign them. Simple smimple as my Physics teacher used to say ...

Dralix
Silver Contributor

PostAuthor: -v-v-FANG-v-v- » Tue Jul 27, 2004 12:10 am

Scurvy_Platypus wrote:For anyone that wants to be able to do this the easy way, first follow the basic instructions provided on where to put the files, and how to acitvate the logging in NWN.

Next, create a blank Notepad (or any other simple .txt file) and put the path to the parser in it. For example, mine is:

c:\Games\NWN\lua parselog.lua

Save and close. Now, rename this something clever (mine is called "parse") and change the file extension on this to .bat

Move this .bat file (should have a sprocket sort of thing as part of the icon) to your main NWN folder, and leave it there. By "main" is mean, when you take a screenshot, and it writes it to the game folder? That's the same place to leave the .bat file.

Now, create a shortcut to the .bat file, and place on your desktop for easy use.

Hope it helps, and isn't insulting your intelligence.

Hi there.

I've just been trying to follow your guidelines here, but it seems I am somewhat confused over this. :?

After creating my blank notepad, and placing the route to the parseLog.lua in it, (yes, I have downloaded those files, all of which are in my NWN Directory) saving it with a name, and close....
what confuses me is this.

How do I change the file extension to .bat?
I did a right click, scrolled down to 'Rename' and then tried to add .bat on the end, but it didn't seem to work, and it's still just an ordinary text/notepad file, even after pressing the --ENTER Key-- on my keyboard.

Did I change the extention correctly, or wrong?
It would be nice if someone could help me out a bit here please.

My regards......
:) :cool:
-v-v-FANG-v-v-
Prince of Bloated Discourse

PostAuthor: -v-v-FANG-v-v- » Tue Jul 27, 2004 12:21 am

Oh..... just another thing........

In this -:

JollyOrc wrote:
lua parselog.lua

On the end, it refers to Mikona.
I'm not really sure why it has to be Mikona. Does this mean that everytime a player enters the server, they will always start from Mikona's server?

Sorry, it's probably a daft question to ask..... but it's bit late here this evening, and I'm somewhat tired, so I'm not reallly with it at the moment. (if you see what I mean)
:cool:
-v-v-FANG-v-v-

PostAuthor: JollyOrc » Tue Jul 27, 2004 5:04 am

-v-v-FANG-v-v- wrote:I'm not really sure why it has to be Mikona. Does this mean that everytime a player enters the server, they will always start from Mikona's server?

no worry, things are easier than they look:

you notice the portnumber at the end ? 5121 ?

That's the port for Mikona.

5122 is the wilderness
5123 is Elysia
5124 is Le'Or'T'Nanshi
5125 is Deglos
5126 is Ferrell

Thus you can create several batch files that each connect to one of the Avlis servers. If you want to go overboard, you can even create some for the other CoPaP servers too !
JollyOrc
QA Resource

Timezone: GMT+1

PostAuthor: Aradan Kir » Tue Jul 27, 2004 12:19 pm

-v-v-FANG-v-v- wrote:How do I change the file extension to .bat?
I did a right click, scrolled down to 'Rename' and then tried to add .bat on the end, but it didn't seem to work, and it's still just an ordinary text/notepad file, even after pressing the --ENTER Key-- on my keyboard.

Ensure that you have not got file extentions hidden :

~ Open Windows Explorer
~ Select Tools
~ Select Folder Options
~ Select View
~ Ensure that "Hide file extensions for known file types" is unchecked

Now have a look at your file - you may find it is now called xxx.bat.txt so the system still thinks it's a text file. Rename and delete the .txt bit off the end, click OK to the system message you get, and all should now work.
Aradan Kir
Elder Sage

PostAuthor: -v-v-FANG-v-v- » Tue Jul 27, 2004 3:53 pm

JollyOrc wrote:
-v-v-FANG-v-v- wrote:I'm not really sure why it has to be Mikona. Does this mean that everytime a player enters the server, they will always start from Mikona's server?

no worry, things are easier than they look:

you notice the portnumber at the end ? 5121 ?

That's the port for Mikona.

5122 is the wilderness
5123 is Elysia
5124 is Le'Or'T'Nanshi
5125 is Deglos
5126 is Ferrell

Thus you can create several batch files that each connect to one of the Avlis servers. If you want to go overboard, you can even create some for the other CoPaP servers too !

Ahh yes, now I understand. That was of GREAT help, and I understood every word (and erm.... server number too 'heh heh') of that.
Tahnks.
-v-v-FANG-v-v-

PostAuthor: -v-v-FANG-v-v- » Tue Jul 27, 2004 4:01 pm

Aradan Kir wrote:

~ Open Windows Explorer
~ Select Tools
~ Select Folder Options
~ Select View

Now have a look at your file - you may find it is now called xxx.bat.txt so the system still thinks it's a text file. Rename and delete the .txt bit off the end, click OK to the system message you get, and all should now work.

Hi again.

Windows Explorer? Well that's a bit difficult, because I'm a --Mozilla-- user these days. (I had a big accident with IE 3-4 years back, causing a crash, so I can't use it anymore) So it will probably just take a bit of time to work out where in my browser all this refers to.
This leads me to a bit of confusion here I think.

Sorry about that. You weren't to know. (my change of browser)
-v-v-FANG-v-v-

PostAuthor: -v-v-FANG-v-v- » Tue Jul 27, 2004 4:12 pm

-v-v-FANG-v-v- wrote:
Aradan Kir wrote:

~ Open Windows Explorer
~ Select Tools
~ Select Folder Options
~ Select View

Hi again.

Windows Explorer? Well that's a bit difficult, because I'm a --Mozilla-- user these days. (I had a big accident with IE 3-4 years back, causing a crash, so I can't use it anymore) So it will probably just take a bit of time to work out where in my browser all this refers to.

Sorry about that. You weren't to know. (my change of browser)

OK.... DONE! I now have it sorted.

Thanks for all the help!
:D :cool:
-v-v-FANG-v-v-

PostAuthor: Kareth » Tue Jul 27, 2004 4:15 pm

-v-v-FANG-v-v- wrote:Hi again.

Windows Explorer is not the same thing as IE, windows explorer is the directory browsing tool (if you have the windows key then the short cut is "Windows Key + E" you can then navigate to the directory in the normal way

Edit: I see you have sorted it anyway :)

Kareth
Sage

PostAuthor: SpectralShadows » Tue Jul 27, 2004 4:18 pm

-v-v-FANG-v-v- wrote:Windows Explorer? Well that's a bit difficult, because I'm a --Mozilla-- user these days.

Just to clarify things:

Windows Explorer = A file browser. What you use to view files on your local system (or local networks).
Microsoft Internet Explorer = An Internet browser. Used to view websites and other online files.

Although the two can look very similar, and can overlap in some cases, they are different.

You said you fixed it, so you've probably figured that now, but just incase... :wink:

Blah, Kareth beat me to it too. :P
SpectralShadows

TILL SHADE IS GONE, TILL WATER IS GONE, INTO THE SHADOW WITH TEETH BARED, SCREAMING
DEFIANCE WITH THE LAST BREATH, TO SPIT IN THE SIGHTBLINDER'S EYE ON THE LAST DAY.
SpectralShadows

PostAuthor: -v-v-FANG-v-v- » Tue Jul 27, 2004 4:25 pm

Erm, hi again.

Sorry about this, there's still one thing I'm slightly confused about. :?

It regards this code again -:

JollyOrc wrote:
lua parselog.lua

Where at the end, it says "MIKONAPASS"
For each of the servers I create a .bat file for, do I put on the end for each of them :

"ELYSIAPASS"

"FERRELLPASS"

"WILDERNESSPASS"

e.t.c
or am I still a little confused here?

My regards....
:cool:
-v-v-FANG-v-v-

PostAuthor: -v-v-FANG-v-v- » Tue Jul 27, 2004 4:32 pm

SpectralShadows wrote:
-v-v-FANG-v-v- wrote:Windows Explorer? Well that's a bit difficult, because I'm a --Mozilla-- user these days.

Just to clarify things:

Windows Explorer = A file browser. What you use to view files on your local system (or local networks).
Microsoft Internet Explorer = An Internet browser. Used to view websites and other online files.

Although the two can look very similar, and can overlap in some cases, they are different.

You said you fixed it, so you've probably figured that now, but just incase... :wink:

Blah, Kareth beat me to it too. :P

Hi.

Yep, I have fixed it, like I said. :)

Although I think I was a little confused between the two.
Eventually I found --Folder Options-- in the Control Panel on my PC, and just followed on from there. (no wonder it looked a litttle different from what I was first expecting)
-v-v-FANG-v-v-

PostAuthor: SpectralShadows » Tue Jul 27, 2004 4:43 pm

-v-v-FANG-v-v- wrote:Where at the end, it says "MIKONAPASS"
For each of the servers I create a .bat file for, do I put on the end for each of them :

"ELYSIAPASS"

"FERRELLPASS"

"WILDERNESSPASS"

e.t.c

You don't put "MIKONAPASS", but you put the actual password for Mikona.
And yes, each server needs a seperate bat with the appropraite port and password.
SpectralShadows

TILL SHADE IS GONE, TILL WATER IS GONE, INTO THE SHADOW WITH TEETH BARED, SCREAMING
DEFIANCE WITH THE LAST BREATH, TO SPIT IN THE SIGHTBLINDER'S EYE ON THE LAST DAY.
SpectralShadows

PostAuthor: -v-v-FANG-v-v- » Tue Jul 27, 2004 5:25 pm

SpectralShadows wrote:
-v-v-FANG-v-v- wrote:Where at the end, it says "MIKONAPASS"

"ELYSIAPASS"

"FERRELLPASS"

"WILDERNESSPASS"

e.t.c

You don't put "MIKONAPASS", but you put the actual password for Mikona.
And yes, each server needs a seperate bat with the appropraite port and password.

Hi again.

Thanks for the help. :)

Okay, I understand that now. Everything is fine from here.

Thanks again.
-v-v-FANG-v-v-

PostAuthor: Aradan Kir » Tue Jul 27, 2004 6:14 pm

Glad you got it working.

PS If your system crashed and you lost IE "3-4 years ago", perhaps it's time for a windows reinstall.
Aradan Kir
Elder Sage

PostAuthor: -v-v-FANG-v-v- » Wed Jul 28, 2004 1:01 am

Aradan Kir wrote:Glad you got it working.

PS If your system crashed and you lost IE "3-4 years ago", perhaps it's time for a windows reinstall.

Hi.

As it's a long story, I won't go over all the gory details, but yes, you are probably right.

However, the real expert on my computer, (knows all the ins and outs e.t.c) is my slightly younger brother, as I only know the basics.
If he were to open up my PC, the only thing I would recognise, is the Motherboard.

Anyway, since he already knows of this problem I have, he mentioned this to me some time back. (reinstall, or whatever the correct name is. I can't remember right now)
I save all my important stuff into a folder, (I have built up quite a lot of stuff over the years I have had this problem, so it would probably take me a couple of weeks to get it done) and since our PCs (yes, my bro owns his own PC too) are connected by LAN, he moves all my stuff to his PC through that network to keep it safe, and then sorts out my PC.

At the moment though, it is kind of low on a list of priorities.

1 - He hasn't got round to doing it, and neither me, in sorting out stuff into a folder

2 - I'm doing okay at the moment with Mozilla, and I've never had any problems since I first started using it.

It's just that IE is broken, I can't use the browser to access any websites, and I get Microsoft error boxes which pop up on my screen every so often. This causes a minor problem when logging into NWN, but it's not really something I can't cope with, or can't manage to get around.

Like I said though, I'm doing just fine with Mozillla at the moment. (which was recommended by my brother)
-v-v-FANG-v-v-

PostAuthor: Jeriel Fist » Fri Jul 30, 2004 4:02 am

Here's a different problem. I have the .bat file and it runs fine and generated the html log files. But each file is the same. It gives my player name, my character name and that's all.

Any suggestions?
I have logging on; I use plain text logs all the time, and the .bat file is in my \neverwinternights\nwn folder. The log files are being generated in \neverwinternights\nwn\logs but the are all 1 KB and only with described generated html code.
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."
--Jack Handy
Jeriel Fist

PostAuthor: Morgoth » Fri Jul 30, 2004 6:24 am

weird i also had the same problem.. I thought it had to do with transistioning to a new server in the game and then loging out.. so i deleted all the 1 K logs I had and did a simple test on and off the same server with "//testing" .... i got a 4 K Log but it was not the log i was expecting I ended up with my previous log that did infact carry over with the server transistion..

I still dont have a log for "//testing" so i would like to know when the log is created. did i do something backwards? my bat file same as I copy and paste so i dont think i could screw it up guess not... any help please..

Morgoth

Edit... it seems the last part of the conversation is missing to leads me to believe that the script needs time to run??? i dont know.. help :oops:
When the sun goes down the shadows come out to play.
Morgoth

PostAuthor: Aradan Kir » Fri Jul 30, 2004 12:08 pm

Morgoth wrote:Edit... it seems the last part of the conversation is missing to leads me to believe that the script needs time to run??? i dont know.. help :oops:

This would be my guess - NWN starting clears the logfile, so perhaps this happens before the log file is successfully written. Try modifying the batch file and adding the word pause after the text logging thing. Then it should run that, then ask you to press any key to continue, whereupon it will start NWN. I haven't tested this though - so not 100% sure it will work, but worth a try.

lua parselog.lua
pause

Alternatively, take the text logging part out completely, and run it manually as it's own batch file whenever you log out of the game.

Post here how you got on for reference to others.
Aradan Kir
Elder Sage

PreviousNext

Return to The Avlis Project: General Discussion