Total players: 2
Gallery

Links Menu

What custom races are now dynamic?

General discussion about Avlis

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Dungeon Masters

Re: What custom races are now dynamic?

PostAuthor: Yenefer » Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:51 pm

Hello, it's new year so maybe some new ideas have come.
What with Custom Races? what with poor orcs? Is there any chance to make character dynamic?
I can't stand watching my female orc running silly with nuked torso :P
Is there any hope?
Player of:
Yenefer Urgash
BANSHEE!!!

Plethora's slave
Yenefer
Apprentice Scholar

Timezone: +2 GMT (+1 winter t

PostAuthor: Sapperken » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:46 am

We've got something in the pipeline for this. We're hoping to have something new for all current static races shortly. Don't get any hopes up for dynamic (maybe), though.

Though there's also a possibility that nothing will be changed, too. Just letting you know that we're thinking of you!
Sapperken
Team Member; Retired with Honors

Timezone: GMT -4
DM Avatar: Dagath

PostAuthor: Yenefer » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:03 am

:liebhab:
Player of:
Yenefer Urgash
BANSHEE!!!

Plethora's slave
Yenefer
Apprentice Scholar

PostAuthor: Themicles » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:27 am

To reiterate some things said by others earlier in the thread, and to give the perspective of the person who prevented the dynamics from being put in until Avlis put a certain set in *for NPCs only*...

Gimlor made a stab at making dynamic models for all of the Avlis contributed custom races. Given the custom content capabilities at the time (couldn't use custom PLTs, put simply that's the texture used on the body parts), he did a decent job. He submitted them for review and inclusion in a CoPaP and Universal Hak update. In testing, we ran into a couple big problems. An ogre model seemed to have no animations, and none of the races had female parts.

Animations issue was an easy fix. But adding female parts was at the very least a ton of copying, pasting, renaming, and editing text internal to the file. Without female parts, a female character that was given the appearance number in their character file that corresponded with the appearance.2da entry for that dynamic model would have several problems. First, there is no model. Not even an invisible base. Without this, NWN's camera cannot follow where the character goes, not to mention the player can't see the character. There was no selection highlight if you managed to hover your mouse where the character should be. Unlike with your player hacks, no (proper) floaty either. Worse, if you managed to click a transition, the client would crash.

As the care taker and developer of the CoPaP Hak, Universal Hak, and CoPaP TLK at that time, I rejected it pending fixes for the problems stated. Nothing to do with the quality of Gimlor's work. Since then, I have added one more stipulation: A few patches ago, BioWare made it possible for us to use custom PLTs on custom dynamic models. This means that kobolds could now have scales on the dynamic body parts, instead of human textured skin. If all the above fixes/updates can be met, the dynamic models Gimlor did can finally be added CoPaP-wide.

Why CoPaP-wide? Because if something like a player character's model isn't properly implemented on every CoPaP world, there will immediately be problems if they try to portal. In this case, it's mostly the client that would crash, rather than the server. But it creates headaches for the admins to go about fixing that player so they can play again. This also applies to any type of item icons, weapon models, heads, armor models, cloak models, etc.

So why were players able to hack their haks (which is something I really wish players wouldn't do...) to make custom races look dynamic for themselves only? Well, Avlis added the appearances a while back for NPC use only. This meant that in the Avlis haks, the dynamic models existed in the 2da files, and by changing the appearance.2da, players could make the dynamic models show up instead of the static ones. I highly recommend against this! For one, you can run into problems if that file is updated in a Hak change and you forget that you left your version in the override. The other reason is that if you do this, you *will not see players nor NPCs of that race if they are female*.

If you really want dynamic models for all the custom races, you will need to find a modeler willing to do the grunt work of making the female parts, and is capable of doing the custom PLTs for those races that should have them.
A wise man does not dwell on his past. He learns from it, he grows from it, and then moves ahead into his future.

And some wise words from a wise man. :P
Orleron wrote:You have to excuse Themi. Tact, diplomacy, and softness are not his best traits, but he does not mean anything by his writing. He's a nice guy. You just get used to it after a while because he doesn't seem to learn. :)
Themicles
CoPaP Ambassador

PostAuthor: Yenefer » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:25 pm

Themicles wrote:
If you really want dynamic models for all the custom races, you will need to find a modeler willing to do the grunt work of making the female parts, and is capable of doing the custom PLTs for those races that should have them.

Ok, lost hope.
Player of:
Yenefer Urgash
BANSHEE!!!

Plethora's slave
Yenefer
Apprentice Scholar

PostAuthor: Ninjar » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:09 pm

Well, I think only the kobolds, gnolls, shaahesk, and goblins need them >_>

(PLTs that is)
Ninjar
Major DM
Major DM

Timezone: GMT +2

PostAuthor: Qohg » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:43 pm

are goblins custom? Im thinking in making a goblin char but in case their not custom, should i wait for the hak or will my goblin char turn custom once the hak is implemented?
Qohg
Prince of Bloated Discourse

PostAuthor: Sathsarrion » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:58 pm

They aren't dynamic yet, but you do have a choice of different static models now

viewtopic.php?f=87&t=108931
Sathsarrion
Sage

Timezone: GMT+10

PostAuthor: Angel of Death » Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:02 pm

Ninjar wrote:
Eklektikos wrote:
bolo wrote:It appears you only get the default dynamic Half-Ogre model if you create a new one since the update. I logged in with an old character of mine and he had reverted back to the static model.Then logged into Le'Or and created a new one, and then got the dynamic model.

Odd. My half-ogre, whom I've been playing since the beginning of the year, became nicely dynamic as soon as the update went in.

Yeah, the same happened for me.

I created my Half-Ogre around 2004 and recently started playing again after a few years of inactivity, but my character has not become dynamic. Is there anything i should do to make it dynamic?
Duhmash - Head Priest of the Bloodkin Tribe.
Raar - Big bad ogre
Fitz - Red Order Magus
Angel of Death
Minor DM
Minor DM

Timezone: +1 GMT
DM Avatar: Maleki

PostAuthor: Plethora » Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:20 pm

Angel of Death wrote:
Ninjar wrote:
Eklektikos wrote:
bolo wrote:It appears you only get the default dynamic Half-Ogre model if you create a new one since the update. I logged in with an old character of mine and he had reverted back to the static model.Then logged into Le'Or and created a new one, and then got the dynamic model.

Odd. My half-ogre, whom I've been playing since the beginning of the year, became nicely dynamic as soon as the update went in.

Yeah, the same happened for me.

I created my Half-Ogre around 2004 and recently started playing again after a few years of inactivity, but my character has not become dynamic. Is there anything i should do to make it dynamic?

A friendly DM can fix the model for you :)
Well, i've heard about the fella you've been dancing with, all over the neighborhood..
...why didn't you ask me baby? Or didn't you think I could..
Plethora
Head DM
Head DM

Timezone: +11 (DST)
DM Avatar: Verossa

PostAuthor: Angel of Death » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:13 pm

Could you point me to one then? Or should i poke one ingame?
Duhmash - Head Priest of the Bloodkin Tribe.
Raar - Big bad ogre
Fitz - Red Order Magus
Angel of Death
Minor DM
Minor DM

Timezone: +1 GMT
DM Avatar: Maleki

PostAuthor: Levis Pie » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:49 pm

Are there any dynamic races besides Half-ogre? If not, is the poke a dm for a new static model still an option? I did a bit of searching and only came up with sunscream's DIY 2da switcheroo. I don't like the idea of invisble gnoll chicks running at me, so I don't wanna do that.
Member of the Plethora Fan Club!
nwmblondy wrote:*Kisses Levis Pie*
Levis Pie
Sage

Timezone: CST

PostAuthor: Gorgon » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:37 pm

You can get a few other dynamic races with the help of a DM. Only the Half-Orge is available (normally) at creation time, and you are being smart with not editing the .2da to change all the ones you see IG. Sure, the invisible glitches are bad/annoying, but you also really don't want to see what people wear when they think you can't see it. :P

I forget which ones are dynamic in the haks (and too lazy to check again), but the DMs would know. Send them a PM and ask what you can do (or someone else here can mention what works already)?

*Edits* Be aware that even if you find a fairly good race with a dynamic model (male only), many clothing parts may have issues with it, especially if you choose the large phenotype (fat models). Some also have odd quirks with helm size and other scaling issues too (lizardmen for example). I think goblin works well, and gnoll (maybe helmet issues there), but don't remember the rest right now (half-asleep after work, so kinda numb).

Try messing with the creature appearances in a mod with our haks in the toolset, and then also try all the clothing/armor bits to see if there are any issues you won't like.
"God not only plays dice, he throws them in the corner where you can't see them."
-- Stephen William Hawking (b. 1942) --

Sprucing up ye olde NWN | Modifying nwn.ini and nwnplayer.ini | ~Rare Items Wanted~ | Stealth Modifiers
Gorgon
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster

Timezone: PDT -7

PostAuthor: Vichan Lyonsen » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:27 pm

While the half ogre is dynamic, it doesn't have a full compliment of armor pieces - no cloaks - and some just don't work terribly well - some robes -
I've spent most of my money on beer, fast women, and fast cars. The rest I just wasted .
Vichan Lyonsen
CCC
CCC

Timezone: pacific

PostAuthor: SaraEF » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:43 pm

All dynamic custom models have some clothing pieces they don't provide full support for. Shaahesk have problems with their biceps, ogres don't like robes, etc

You can put a kobold in a suit, though, so it's net positive.
SaraEF
RPotY 2014

PostAuthor: Vichan Lyonsen » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:45 pm

SaraEF wrote:
You can put a kobold in a suit, though, so it's net positive.

Agreed! :)
I've spent most of my money on beer, fast women, and fast cars. The rest I just wasted .
Vichan Lyonsen
CCC
CCC

Timezone: pacific

Previous

Return to The Avlis Project: General Discussion