NWN & Windows 10

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Dungeon Masters

Post Reply
User avatar
Jazz
Team Member; Retired with Honors
Posts: 6644
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2004 5:25 pm
Timezone: GMT +1/+2
Location: Nijmegen, The Netherlands

NWN & Windows 10

Post by Jazz » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:43 pm

So I installed Windows 10 on my new PC, works great, it runs NWN1 (although it keeps asking for permission to run it as an admin, and I don't know yet how to set that to 'auto'). However, when I ALT+TAB out of NWN while running the game (to check Discord or change the song in Spotify) I have a hard time getting back into the game again. I can easily click on the game in my bar at the bottom, or ALT+TAB back again, but I can't seem to be able to do anything (and I can still see my Taskbar at the bottom of my screen). Is there a way to change this? Cheers!

User avatar
Ambrosia
Major DM
Major DM
Posts: 2800
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:45 am
DM Avatar: Berryn

Re: NWN & Windows 10

Post by Ambrosia » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:57 pm

For my computer, I had to set it to run in 'windowed' mode for that feature to run cleanly in Win10. Keep in mind I did that for the computer I'm about to replace, so I don't know if that's a thing for my new one or not. :P


Instructions Here
Have a*´¨)
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ * Wonderful day! *

User avatar
Sarmanos
Team Member; Retired with Honors
Posts: 2909
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 7:04 am
Timezone: GMT -5
Location: Massillon, OH

Re: NWN & Windows 10

Post by Sarmanos » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:33 pm

You can tell nwmain to always run as administrator under Compatibility if you right click and go into Properties. Also, I second it on not running full screen anymore with the old version. It just doesn't play nice with a lot of stuff anymore. I personally run it at 1600x900 windowed.
Vetinari: I have noted before that you have a definite anti-authoritarian streak, Commander.
Vimes: Sir?
Vetinari: You seem to have retained this even though you are Authority.
Vimes: Sir?
Vetinari: That's practically Zen.

User avatar
GrimlyAxefingler
CCC
CCC
Posts: 354
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:46 pm
Timezone: EST
Location: Hamilton Ontario Canada

Re: NWN & Windows 10

Post by GrimlyAxefingler » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:04 pm

Jazz wrote:I can easily click on the game in my bar at the bottom, or ALT+TAB back again, but I can't seem to be able to do anything (and I can still see my Taskbar at the bottom of my screen). Is there a way to change this? Cheers!
after you have tabbed back in to the game hit ALT to bring the mouse back into nwn, or if that isnt doing it sometimes i had to hit CTRL ALT DEL and then just immediately cancel out of the bluescreen to bring it back.

User avatar
Jazz
Team Member; Retired with Honors
Posts: 6644
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2004 5:25 pm
Timezone: GMT +1/+2
Location: Nijmegen, The Netherlands

Re: NWN & Windows 10

Post by Jazz » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:27 pm

GrimlyAxefingler wrote:
Jazz wrote:I can easily click on the game in my bar at the bottom, or ALT+TAB back again, but I can't seem to be able to do anything (and I can still see my Taskbar at the bottom of my screen). Is there a way to change this? Cheers!
after you have tabbed back in to the game hit ALT to bring the mouse back into nwn, or if that isnt doing it sometimes i had to hit CTRL ALT DEL and then just immediately cancel out of the bluescreen to bring it back.
:shock: That Alt thing really seems to work, thanks! :D

User avatar
Dirigible
Scholar of Fools
Posts: 357
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:12 am
Timezone: GMT
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: NWN & Windows 10

Post by Dirigible » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:31 pm

I struggle with this, I was going mad tabbing back and forth. I'll have to give the above a go! :glaskugel:
Sing for your supper.

Characters:Gann Eider, Skrike Lastbreath & Rakuug Yug'loz

User avatar
Jazz
Team Member; Retired with Honors
Posts: 6644
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2004 5:25 pm
Timezone: GMT +1/+2
Location: Nijmegen, The Netherlands

Re: NWN & Windows 10

Post by Jazz » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:33 pm

Sarmanos wrote:You can tell nwmain to always run as administrator under Compatibility if you right click and go into Properties.
As far as I can see I've done that. But it still asks something like 'would you like to allow this app from an unknown author to make changes to your PC?' (roughly translated from Dutch)

User avatar
Sarmanos
Team Member; Retired with Honors
Posts: 2909
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 7:04 am
Timezone: GMT -5
Location: Massillon, OH

Re: NWN & Windows 10

Post by Sarmanos » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:44 pm

Jazz wrote:
Sarmanos wrote:You can tell nwmain to always run as administrator under Compatibility if you right click and go into Properties.
As far as I can see I've done that. But it still asks something like 'would you like to allow this app from an unknown author to make changes to your PC?' (roughly translated from Dutch)
Alright, you need to go a bit deeper then. Go into Control Panel (not Settings) and find Security and Maintenance. From there go into Change User Account Control Settings. You'll see four different options, dial it down to what you feel comfortable with for a setting. I haven't tested the other settings though. I always turn off User Account Control entirely since I keep a pretty tight ship on what I install and run.
Vetinari: I have noted before that you have a definite anti-authoritarian streak, Commander.
Vimes: Sir?
Vetinari: You seem to have retained this even though you are Authority.
Vimes: Sir?
Vetinari: That's practically Zen.

User avatar
Jazz
Team Member; Retired with Honors
Posts: 6644
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2004 5:25 pm
Timezone: GMT +1/+2
Location: Nijmegen, The Netherlands

Re: NWN & Windows 10

Post by Jazz » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:55 pm

Thanks, Sarm. Unfortunatly, only the lowest setting will not display the message, and that setting's turning off all messages (which I don't want to do).

User avatar
Nighthawk4
Eldest DM
Eldest DM
Posts: 24495
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2003 8:32 pm
Timezone: GMT
DM Avatar: DruEl
Location: The Home of the Bard of Avon
Contact:

Re: NWN & Windows 10

Post by Nighthawk4 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:23 am

You may just have to accept the UAC messages. Apart from those, my Windows10 seems to work with NWN, once I turned off the nVidia overlay stuff :prost:
Life is never as bad as you think it is, although that doesn't help at the time.
Orleron wrote:I think it's a fun idea if you can idiot-proof it. Problem is God always builds a better idiot. :P
Please visit:
Avlis UK, ACE Forum and SATF Forum

Image

Post Reply