M'Chek - (0)
Mikona - (0)
Visimontium - (0)
Underdark - (0)
Total players: 3
Gallery

Links Menu

Custom Races and ability adjustments

Forum for posing direct questions to the Avlis Team. Purpose is to facilitate Team/Player communication.

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Dungeon Masters

Custom Races and ability adjustments

PostAuthor: Scurvy_Platypus » Thu Apr 08, 2004 11:03 pm

Ok, just so everyone knows, this is my understanding of how the adjustment system works. Hopefully this will clear up some misunderstandings. Like I had. :)....

When you see something along the lines of an adjustment being made for example :
Orleron wrote:Changeling:

+2 Dex +2 Con -2 Int -2 Wis

This is from a baseline HUMAN. So things can look a bit odd from the perspective of a player and their stats. I'll give you an example. For this, we're going to say that everything is a 10

Human....elf
Str 10 ....10
Dex 10... 12
Int 10.....10
Con 10... 8
Wis 10....10
Cha 10...10

Ok, with me so far?

Now, here's where things get tricky. Say you make a Changeling, and use the base of Elf. What most people would expect to see is this:

Elf..........Changeling
Str....10.....10
Dex...12....14
Int....10......8
Con..8.......10
Wis...10.....8
Cha..10.....10

But what people see is:

Elf..........Changeling
Str....10.....10
Dex...12....12
Int....10......8
Con..8.......12
Wis...10.....8
Cha..10.....10

And it feels wrong. But it's correct if you keep in mind the baseline of human for applying the adjustments, _NOT_ elf.

As for why Autobic works the way it does and has you use something other than human to generate stuff...*shrug* I'm not a coder, I couldn't say. But that's the way it works. So when looking to see if you're getting the "proper" racial adjustments, remember it's coming from human.

And again, this is _my_ understanding of the way the system works. I've been wrong before. Once. :)
Scurvy_Platypus
Scholar

Return to The Avlis Project: Ask the Team