M'Chek - (0)
Le'Or - (0)
Visimontium - (0)
Underdark - (0)
Total players: 5
Gallery

Links Menu

griefing and Sereg

Forum for posing direct questions to the Avlis Team. Purpose is to facilitate Team/Player communication.

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Dungeon Masters

PostAuthor: Aloro » Thu Apr 08, 2004 4:19 pm

Khaelindra wrote:Divinia will just try to have all Sereg convert to a life in service of Cha'Reth... :D

Oh, man, THAT is a sad and funny image.

Sereg Healer of Cha'reth: Pelail, hoovai... oof! Ouch! Hey, I... argh!

PCs: You dirty bastard, take that! And that!

Sereg Healer of Cha'reth: But I... * gurgle * frien... *thump *

PCs: Yay! The evil has been vanquished!
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn wrote:The meaning of earthly existence lies, not as we have grown used to thinking, in prosperity, but in the development of the soul.
Aloro
Team Member; Retired with Honors

PostAuthor: Dralix » Thu Apr 08, 2004 4:21 pm

I think the discussion has all been valid and useful. No horses were killed in the making of this thread (IMO).

Moreover, I think it's important that these things that have been clarified be documented somewhere so that anyone thinking of playing a PC sereg knows what they are getting into, boundaries, etc. Maybe it's already been done, I'll be honest and say I haven't looked for it as I have no intention playing a sereg. I'm still trying to resist all urges to roll up a changeling ...

Dralix
Silver Contributor

PostAuthor: obsidian » Thu Apr 08, 2004 5:01 pm

I guess playing a Sereg takes a certain degree of masochism. Still, it'll be different. Now just to get the character creator actually working..
obsidian
Lord of Blithering Idiots

PostAuthor: Silk » Thu Apr 08, 2004 5:11 pm

obsidian wrote:I guess playing a Sereg takes a certain degree of masochism. Still, it'll be different. Now just to get the character creator actually working..

I would say it would take a degree of Sado-Masochism to play a Sereg.
Silk

Member of the MadK@t lover's group.
Silk
Co-Founder

PostAuthor: Alex Noble » Thu Apr 08, 2004 5:24 pm

Can Sereg PC's get a set of cloths marked plot. All the naked running might get a bit old. At least until they come into thier own. :twisted:
Alex Noble
Apprentice Scholar

Location: Michigan GMT -4 or -5 depending on daylight savings

PostAuthor: Vanor » Thu Apr 08, 2004 5:35 pm

I think it's imporant to keep in mind that how a given PC reacts to a sereg, depends on that PC, and the situation he or she is in.

My PC Delen for example, would be inclined to kill a sereg on sight, he's faced them enough times in the past, that he has no question what they are or what they're up to.

However if I saw one alone off in the wilderness someplace, I'd be inclined to just keep walking. Because if you see one Sereg, that means that there's serveral you don't see, also a Single Sereg is at least a tough fight.

Now if Delen was in Elysia someplace his reaction would most likely be different... He'd send who ever was near by for help, then try to kill or at least delay the sereg he saw.
Vanor

PostAuthor: Vian » Thu Apr 08, 2004 5:55 pm

My 2 cents is this:

Ye have little faith.

Trust the team.. we aren't going to allow every l33+ dude to join the server just to be a Sereg that is shit listed by many. Trust me most people don't want to be in Sereg position look at the number of evil characters we have... and how many have lasted... very very few. Reason?

It's hard... damn hard.. to be evil and like the Sereg are... anyone remember Fenius? Costas? Jack? and the 2 or 3 others like them?

Look to them as examples of what a Sereg PC should be like. Especially Fenius and Costas, they were the only 2 mass murderer type characters to walk Avlis that were shit listed by many people.

Sereg may have it a bit more tough than that... but perhaps all the Sereg players should band together? That's where you will get some awesome RP. Hell I'm thinking of making a Sereg PC just for the fun of it :p

I like challenging rp... the thought of starting out as this little puny being with amazing potential to be a super power... is awesome to me!

To me this makes the world more interesting. Just my thoughts anyways.

V~
Vian

PostAuthor: Beary666 » Fri Apr 09, 2004 2:24 am

Can you ID a Sereg on the spot by just looking at them?
How do you know it's just not and elf with very dark skin?

And I am assuming that if the PC sereg has his face covered and all his skin as well, it will be impossible IC to ID him as a Sereg.
Beary666
Elder Sage

Timezone: GMT -7

PostAuthor: makeshiftwings » Fri Apr 09, 2004 4:32 am

I'm also wondering, to what degree to drow and Sereg look alike? Do Sereg look exactly like drow except with black hair instead of white, or are there other differences? So far everyone I've met seems to know all about drow and how they are different and can spot the difference instantly, despite drow being from another plane of existence that most people should never have heard of.
makeshiftwings
Prince of Bloated Discourse

PostAuthor: Tyrion77 » Fri Apr 09, 2004 4:53 am

heh.. as far as i can tell.. Drow look almost exactly like Sereg except for the hair.. which apparently is a big thing as the last Sereg i met called me a white haired freak so...
never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.

Tyrion77
Knight of Useless Drivel

PostAuthor: The Constrainer » Sat Apr 10, 2004 5:44 am

NWDuneAuron wrote:I'm fully expecting to be griefed with my Sereg PC. I would suggest that other people planning on playing them adopt the same attitude when playing their Sereg.

Please just remember we are here to have fun and unlike other Sereg you have fought in the passed Sereg PCs have a person who has developed and likes thier character much like you have. Please treat them ocordingly. The gentlemans agreement should still stand though IC it makes no sense. Do all agree?

The Constrainer
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: obsidian » Sat Apr 10, 2004 6:55 am

Had an interesting times in Elysia yesterday with my Sereg. Knowing you'll get killed 100% motivates you to make sure no one ever sees you. Still, I think I managed to create some ripples, or at least a few baffled people. :D
obsidian

PostAuthor: Arena Helerin » Sat Apr 10, 2004 3:12 pm

There is one thing that does seem a bit troubling to me that perhaps the team could give an answer for. What exactly is a low-level Sereg supposed to do? I've witnessed one Sereg character kill another level 1 character and had another level 1 character complain in the forums about getting killed. It isn't very IC for Sereg characters to run Fed Ex quests to gain levels, and if they are low levels, their only targets will be other low characters, particularly newbies or lowbies.
Arena Helerin
Apprentice Scholar

Location: My heart's in Texas, but my body's frozen up north.

PostAuthor: obsidian » Sat Apr 10, 2004 3:21 pm

Good question. Can't think of anything other than hiding, sneaking and beating monsters with a stick. Or alternatively: banding together. I wouldn't mind teaming up with other Seregs, but haven't seen any yet. (probably because they're hiding and I am hiding).

Wouldn't mind the company either. Would be fun to say something else than variation of 'Die you "#"%' for change.

Hm. Perhaps we should pm with other sereg pc's and organize a bit, eh? Or have Sereg boards for timetabling those assaults on dirty humans? :D

What I am saying here: PM me.
obsidian

PostAuthor: NWDuneAuron » Sat Apr 10, 2004 4:09 pm

Earlier, we banded together (3 Sereg) and launched a raid on the farmlands of M'Chek.

VERY VERY VERY fun, especially when we were caught stood over the arrow-ridden bodies of Farmers by a group of other PCs- Who RPed nicely, and gave us a chance, for which I thank you.

obsidian- We have a little group (5) put together, come join us :).
NWDuneAuron
Sage

PostAuthor: obsidian » Sat Apr 10, 2004 4:26 pm

Hell, yeah. Um, where?
obsidian

PostAuthor: Vergilius » Sat Apr 10, 2004 4:30 pm

Arena Helerin wrote:There is one thing that does seem a bit troubling to me that perhaps the team could give an answer for. What exactly is a low-level Sereg supposed to do? I've witnessed one Sereg character kill another level 1 character and had another level 1 character complain in the forums about getting killed. It isn't very IC for Sereg characters to run Fed Ex quests to gain levels, and if they are low levels, their only targets will be other low characters, particularly newbies or lowbies.

NWDuneAuron wrote:Earlier, we banded together (3 Sereg) and launched a raid on the farmlands of M'Chek.

VERY VERY VERY fun, especially when we were caught stood over the arrow-ridden bodies of Farmers by a group of other PCs- Who RPed nicely, and gave us a chance, for which I thank you.

obsidian- We have a little group (5) put together, come join us :).

I think there's your answer. Sereg can be an RP treat or it can be a griefing trip, all depending upon how the PCs involved handle it. Grouping up, causing some non-permanent mischief, RPing gettting caught/excaping/etc is all standard in-line.

Vergilius

Timezone: US Central

PostAuthor: Nighthawk4 » Sat Apr 10, 2004 4:57 pm

I see the Sereg PC opportunity as a Challenge and a Novelty. Some people will give it a try, sneak around pretending they are all Mean and Evil and Nasty - get killed by the first or second NPC they attack (as mine was) and then give up and move on.

The main problems or questions I can see are:

1. A level 1 Sereg is the same pathetic wimp as any other level 1. You are not an all-powerful uber-monster as the real Sereg. A damned good thing too.

2. Most of us do not want to spend much (if any) time playing a character whose raison d'etre is to kill everything it meets, or be killed by everything it meets. We are here on Avlis for RP and RPing killing or getting killed is not much fun. This is exactly the reason for this thread - people are worried by the idea.

3. The idea of Sereg clothing being marked plot would help. Sereg are going to spend a lot of time doing the naked run. It is difficult to blend in to the surroundings with your white underwear clearly visible.

4. Someone told me that Female Sereg do not work correctly yet. Is this true please? I don't see any reason for Female Sereg not to work if Male ones do. On the other hand, can you imagine a Sereg with PMS? :twisted:
Life is never as bad as you think it is, although that doesn't help at the time.

Orleron wrote:I think it's a fun idea if you can idiot-proof it. Problem is God always builds a better idiot. :P

Please visit:
Avlis UK, ACE Forum and SATF Forum

Nighthawk4
Eldest DM
Eldest DM

Timezone: GMT
DM Avatar: DruEl

PostAuthor: Scurvy_Platypus » Sat Apr 10, 2004 8:06 pm

Several threads were split and moved here, since they didn't apply to the issue of Sereg and being griefed.

Edit:

I was nice and moved a few posts. Now, I've deleted some. I'm not kidding folks. Keep to the topic here.
Last edited by Scurvy_Platypus on Sat Apr 10, 2004 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scurvy_Platypus
Scholar

PostAuthor: CPU » Sat Apr 10, 2004 10:53 pm

Arena Helerin wrote:There is one thing that does seem a bit troubling to me that perhaps the team could give an answer for. What exactly is a low-level Sereg supposed to do? I've witnessed one Sereg character kill another level 1 character and had another level 1 character complain in the forums about getting killed. It isn't very IC for Sereg characters to run Fed Ex quests to gain levels, and if they are low levels, their only targets will be other low characters, particularly newbies or lowbies.

Sereg are being selective? Co-incidentally only attacking those that are low-level? I think you've been right-clicking too much. Sereg don't hate low level humans, they hate all humans. You should fight whomever you come across, not just those who you right-click and think you have a chance to kill.
CPU

PostAuthor: Titanium Dragon » Sat Apr 10, 2004 11:47 pm

CPU wrote:Sereg don't hate low level humans, they hate all humans.

Yup. Take lessons from STEAL.

Impossible rated? Bah, no problem! Its the effortless ones you've got to worry about. :twisted:
Gilkin> ouch. how often do you roll a 20?
Cath> once every 20 rolls?
Titanium Dragon
Sage

PostAuthor: Flakey » Sun Apr 11, 2004 12:16 am

The whole trouble with this is not from the sereg side, they already know about that they will be heavily involved in CvC, it is the humans they come across. I have already been attacked on sight by a sereg, but what about the people that do not like CvC that run into one, they have no choice.
Minds are like parachutes, they have to be open to work.
Flakey
Apprentice Scholar

PostAuthor: Arena Helerin » Sun Apr 11, 2004 1:02 am

CPU wrote:
Sereg are being selective? Co-incidentally only attacking those that are low-level? I think you've been right-clicking too much. Sereg don't hate low level humans, they hate all humans. You should fight whomever you come across, not just those who you right-click and think you have a chance to kill.

You're right. They shouldn't be, but in the encounters that I have seen, the only victims of attacks from Sereg PCs have been lowbies/newbies.

My question was more out of curiousity then anything else. Until the posts by Nighthawk, and NWDuneAuron I honestly didn't see any RP possibilities suggested for Sereg players. I still think it is a difficult concept to keep fresh and interesting without reducing the character to a one dimensionial assassin. I also think the possibility for abuse is very great and I wouldn't be surprised if more people complain about their characters being indiscriminantly killed by PCs. I'm willing to keep an open mind, though, and give it a chance from where I'm sitting as long as people are reasoned well enough as the vocal Sereg players have been to this point.
Arena Helerin
Apprentice Scholar

Location: My heart's in Texas, but my body's frozen up north.

PostAuthor: Titanium Dragon » Sun Apr 11, 2004 3:05 am

Flakey wrote:The whole trouble with this is not from the sereg side, they already know about that they will be heavily involved in CvC, it is the humans they come across. I have already been attacked on sight by a sereg, but what about the people that do not like CvC that run into one, they have no choice.

Well, you live in a CvC world. You can always run, you know.
Gilkin> ouch. how often do you roll a 20?
Cath> once every 20 rolls?
Titanium Dragon
Sage

PostAuthor: CPU » Sun Apr 11, 2004 6:24 am

Here's the other thing I believe I've seen Silk do regarding Sereg. You have to purposely attack Sereg before they will attack you. or... maybe I've just been lucky.

But if this is the case, Sereg do not have to start a fight with anyone. If Sereg don't want CvC, they stay out of human (PC) settlements. If they want CvC, walk into Mikona.

And if you're a human PC, then if you don't attack a Sereg when spotted - you wouldn't be attacked back. But if you do attack, be prepared for CvC.

None of my active characters are human. So, there may be qualifiers regarding whom and what they attack and when. But does this all sound about right?
CPU

PreviousNext

Return to The Avlis Project: Ask the Team