M'Chek - (0)
Underdark - (0)
Wilderness - (0)
Visimontium - (0)
Total players: 7
Gallery

Links Menu

How Spells work on Avlis

Forum for posing direct questions to the Avlis Team. Purpose is to facilitate Team/Player communication.

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Dungeon Masters

How Spells work on Avlis

PostAuthor: Alex Noble » Tue Apr 06, 2004 6:12 pm

Can we get a list of the spells that have changed, and what the changes are. I have done several forum searchs and as close as I have come is:

The following spells have been fixed either by adding saving throws or by eliminating other quirks:
greater/lesser missile storm
firebrand
true seeing
timestop

I have heard that Missile storm is all but useless now, but how so, and how dose true seeing work? I know some other spells have no visiual effects now, but which ones. Just a search on true seeing returns over 700 hits with 26 pages. And one of them is the update thread, and that's up to 19 pages now.
Alex Noble
Apprentice Scholar

Location: Michigan GMT -4 or -5 depending on daylight savings

PostAuthor: NWDuneAuron » Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:20 pm

True seeing, to my knowledge, now gives you +30 to spot and see invisibility rather than allowing you to automagically see characters in stealth mode.
NWDuneAuron
Sage

PostAuthor: obsidian » Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:36 pm

Firebrand was fixed to have a saving throw as it should.

Missile Storms were nerfed to shoot only a few missiles at one target. Guess it worked, since I've not seen anyone use it for a long time. Casting magic missile gives you more bang for yout buck than lesser isaac's.

True seeing is basically a see invisibility with some spot bonuses.

Haven't experienced a timestop for a while, so can't say what's it like currently.
obsidian
Lord of Blithering Idiots

PostAuthor: WrathOG777 » Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:40 pm

tons of changes, and more comming as the spells slowly ease in to the HotU spell updates.

Better off just waiting a few weeks/months and asking again once things settle.
WrathOG777
Master Sage

PostAuthor: Jordicus » Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:46 pm

obsidian wrote:Missile Storms were nerfed to shoot only a few missiles at one target. Guess it worked, since I've not seen anyone use it for a long time. Casting magic missile gives you more bang for yout buck than lesser isaac's.

this is not accurate. the original version of Missile Storm would fire a max of 20 missiles. You aimed at 1 target and all other hostiles in the area would receive 1 missile and the target would get the rest. that meant that if your target was the only hostile within a large area, they would receive all 20 missiles against them.

the change was so that the primiary target will only receive a max of xxx/casterlevel of missles. this forumla is being reworked.
You see things and you say, "Why?" But I dream things that never were and say, "Why not?" George Bernard Shaw
Jordicus
Team Member; Retired with Honors

PostAuthor: obsidian » Wed Apr 07, 2004 6:01 pm

That was what I was trying to say, but guess I didn't :D

What is the reworked version going to be like?
obsidian
Lord of Blithering Idiots

PostAuthor: WrathOG777 » Wed Apr 07, 2004 6:35 pm

Jordicus wrote:
obsidian wrote:Missile Storms were nerfed to shoot only a few missiles at one target. Guess it worked, since I've not seen anyone use it for a long time. Casting magic missile gives you more bang for yout buck than lesser isaac's.

this is not accurate. the original version of Missile Storm would fire a max of 20 missiles. You aimed at 1 target and all other hostiles in the area would receive 1 missile and the target would get the rest. that meant that if your target was the only hostile within a large area, they would receive all 20 missiles against them.

the change was so that the primiary target will only receive a max of xxx/casterlevel of missles. this forumla is being reworked.

Lesser is bad, even in the original form. That part is accurate. Magic missle really is a better option now. It does almost the same job for a lvl 1 slot instead of a 4th. but... this kind of discusstion is better suited in the mage forum!

http://www.avlis.org/viewtopic.php?t=27760

Any mage with spell concerns, be it broken, power issue, not working as intented by PnP, etc, please come and give your input there. I am trying to make spell changes easy on the team by useing one thread instead of these types of discussions poping up everywhere and the folks working to implement spells having to search for what needs fixing.
WrathOG777
Master Sage

PostAuthor: The Constrainer » Sat Apr 17, 2004 2:04 pm

One Question.... Why was Isac's lesser storm changed? I don't think it was that powerful to begin with. Its lake casting two magic missles at once for a four lvl spell. I recently casted this spell at a single traget and I shot only 3 missles. That is two less then a lvl one spell magic missle.

The Constrainer
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: choraldances » Sun Apr 18, 2004 3:54 am

The Constrainer wrote:One Question.... Why was Isac's lesser storm changed? I don't think it was that powerful to begin with. Its lake casting two magic missles at once for a four lvl spell. I recently casted this spell at a single traget and I shot only 3 missles. That is two less then a lvl one spell magic missle.

it's being modified as we speak, the script will not be in soon. Please be patient.
choraldances
Uber Posting Whor3

PostAuthor: The Constrainer » Sun Apr 18, 2004 5:24 am

choraldances wrote:
The Constrainer wrote:One Question.... Why was Isac's lesser storm changed? I don't think it was that powerful to begin with. Its lake casting two magic missles at once for a four lvl spell. I recently casted this spell at a single traget and I shot only 3 missles. That is two less then a lvl one spell magic missle.

it's being modified as we speak, the script will not be in soon. Please be patient.

Right, thanks.

The Constrainer
Scholar of Fools

Return to The Avlis Project: Ask the Team