Ferrell - (0)
Wilderness - (0)
Mikona - (0)
Visimontium - (0)
Total players: 8
Gallery

Links Menu

Paladins

Forum for posing direct questions to the Avlis Team. Purpose is to facilitate Team/Player communication.

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Dungeon Masters

PostAuthor: Deider » Tue Apr 06, 2004 9:15 am

*wipes his brow now that The Boss (not Bruce Springsteen, the other one) has come in and made things clear :) *

Sarrena wrote:What about Dre'Ana then? as a God she has followers mostly ranging from LG to CG, not to mention LN to CN. Why couldn't she have Paladins?

In anticipation of this question WAAAY up above the self-styled King of Gnomes wrote:Now here comes the point where someone will bring up the fact that worshippers of a deity can have an alignment one step away from that of their deity. That is true for lay worshippers, or laymen. Paladins are far from laymen - they get power directly from their deity.

If you want to play an LG warrior who's extremely devout towards Dru'El or another god that's not LG, I'd play a fighter.

*looks up at Aloro's post*

There's another CG deity? :wink:
Deider
Uber Posting Whor3

Timezone: GMT -8

PostAuthor: Jordicus » Tue Apr 06, 2004 12:02 pm

Sarrena wrote:What about Dre'Ana then? as a God she has followers mostly ranging from LG to CG, not to mention LN to CN. Why couldn't she have Paladins?

it doesn't matter what alignment the followers are. it matter what alignment the diety is. ONLY a LG diety can have Paladins. period. Paladins are a Holy Warrior not a follower. In the same way an Avenger can only worship Dru'El and a Confounder can only worship Forian.

there are no exceptions
You see things and you say, "Why?" But I dream things that never were and say, "Why not?" George Bernard Shaw
Jordicus
Team Member; Retired with Honors

PostAuthor: Vanor » Tue Apr 06, 2004 3:44 pm

Going back to the question about O'Ma having paladins on another plane, that he had some power on.

That wouldn't happen IMO. O'Ma would sponsor Champions on this other plane, but would not sponsor Paladins. First off, O'Ma is NG, and would not be real comfortable with LG holy warriors repersenting him, because they wouldn't really repersent what O'Ma is all about.

Also there's the question of why O'Ma would sponsor a Paladin, when he already has his own version of Holy Warriors, the Champions.

That is I guess a more IC based way of saying what Jordicus said above...
Vanor

PostAuthor: Vian » Tue Apr 06, 2004 5:06 pm

As I said before.. all your Paladins R Belong to ME!!!

(I guess I was to vague :p... me being... Gorethar... the first Paladin of Gorethar.. Vian.. I was saying all paladins belong to Gore......AHH NEVERMIND :P)

V~
Vian

PostAuthor: Sarrena » Tue Apr 06, 2004 6:04 pm

Heh, thanks for the stampeding answer ;) All your pallys are belong to Vian... Or Gorethar.. Or Vian...
Sarrena

Timezone: -7
DM Avatar: Berryn

PostAuthor: Vanor » Tue Apr 06, 2004 6:06 pm

Sarrena wrote:All your pallys are belong to Vian... Or Gorethar.. Or Vian...

Same thing really... IRL Vian is short, squat and has a long beard. ;)
Vanor

PostAuthor: Sarrena » Tue Apr 06, 2004 6:09 pm

Does he giggle like Feeb when you tug his whiskers ;)
Sarrena

PostAuthor: Vanor » Tue Apr 06, 2004 6:10 pm

Sarrena wrote:Does he giggle like Feeb when you tug his whiskers ;)

I don't know, I've not tugged on either of their wiskers... I'm afraid they'd take it the wrong way. :D
Vanor

PostAuthor: Sarrena » Tue Apr 06, 2004 6:12 pm

You don't tug their whiskers? Do you at least swap out their ale for stawberry milk when they look away?
Sarrena

PostAuthor: Aloro » Tue Apr 06, 2004 6:15 pm

Deider wrote:*looks up at Aloro's post*

There's another CG deity? :wink:

Ooooh, that's it, say goodbye to your PEACE of mind, gnome! And I'm going to have a word with Mishlekh too about cutting off your booze supply. See if I don't!

* mutters and stalks off *

- Aloro
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn wrote:The meaning of earthly existence lies, not as we have grown used to thinking, in prosperity, but in the development of the soul.
Aloro

PostAuthor: Aradan Kir » Tue Apr 06, 2004 6:26 pm

Vian wrote:As I said before.. all your Paladins R Belong to ME!!!

(I guess I was to vague :p... me being... Gorethar... the first Paladin of Gorethar.. Vian.. I was saying all paladins belong to Gore......AHH NEVERMIND :P)

V~

:lol:
Aradan Kir
Elder Sage

PostAuthor: Vergilius » Tue Apr 06, 2004 6:47 pm

Jordicus wrote:

it doesn't matter what alignment the followers are. it matter what alignment the diety is. ONLY a LG diety can have Paladins. period. Paladins are a Holy Warrior not a follower. In the same way an Avenger can only worship Dru'El and a Confounder can only worship Forian.

there are no exceptions

Again, I think you misread his question. All of his questions have been prefexed with a "Not on AVlis" trope. While your answer is true for Avlis, it doesn't answer the hypothetical nature of his question.

Vergilius

Timezone: US Central

PostAuthor: Vanor » Tue Apr 06, 2004 6:54 pm

Vergilius wrote:While your answer is true for Avlis, it doesn't answer the hypothetical nature of his question.

Well as I read the question, he was asking about Avlis gods, on other planes or worlds. So in that case what is true on Avlis would hold true there as well, for any Avlis gods anyway.

Going with my example...

If O'Ma were to become part of the panthion of Rockhome, he still would not be able to sponsor Paladins. A different god, one native to Rockhome or any world that isn't Avlis, might... But a Avlis god wouldn't.

So that means what Jordi said, is corect and answers the question... Provided of course I'm reading the question corectly myself.
Vanor

PostAuthor: Aloro » Tue Apr 06, 2004 6:58 pm

Ok.

I think we're all clear on how Paladins work in Avlis.

This discussion has progressed into hypothetical situations that do not reflect any reality we have to deal with, and is growing too complicated to be of use to actual Avlis players.

Thread locked.

- Aloro
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn wrote:The meaning of earthly existence lies, not as we have grown used to thinking, in prosperity, but in the development of the soul.
Aloro

PostAuthor: Vergilius » Tue Apr 06, 2004 7:01 pm

Vanor wrote:
Well as I read the question, he was asking about Avlis gods, on other planes or worlds. So in that case what is true on Avlis would hold true there as well, for any Avlis gods anyway.

Going with my example...

If O'Ma were to become part of the panthion of Rockhome, he still would not be able to sponsor Paladins. A different god, one native to Rockhome or any world that isn't Avlis, might... But a Avlis god wouldn't.

So that means what Jordi said, is corect and answers the question... Provided of course I'm reading the question corectly myself.

I would say Avlis dieties are constrained on Avlis, but may not necessarily be constrained so on other worlds in the same way that outer world dieties are constrained here but may not be so elsewhere. Well, I would argue further, but this argument is all hypothetical to begin with. It application is scanty and its value equally so.

Vergilius

Timezone: US Central

Previous

Return to The Avlis Project: Ask the Team