Server Totals
M'Chek - (1)
Wilderness - (0)
Ferrell - (0)
Elysia - (0)
Le'Or - (0)
Deglos - (0)
Visimontium - (0)
Underdark - (0)
Mikona - (0)
Total players: 1
Gallery

Links Menu

Will my char be able to travel?

Forum for posing direct questions to the Avlis Team. Purpose is to facilitate Team/Player communication.

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Dungeon Masters

PostAuthor: Jordicus » Sun Apr 04, 2004 11:45 pm

kokobil wrote:I tell you a sad story based on this. I knew a person who was fighter/bard. After the Hala link was established he went there and spent some time too . After several weeks i saw him again . I noticed strange wings on his back and he told me he had taken Red Dragon PrC. So we went to FoM. We were at the first area and there he disappeared. A DM portaled him on another area where after he questioned him about the way he obtained the Red Dragon levels he striped him of those levels. This fact drove him very sad and from that very moment he decided to quit playing NWN and Avlis and left for good. So I believe the letter of Quiz001 is very justified if we base on these facts. If the team has no problem with that for Quiz001 then they should apologise to that other player that left like that and should restore him to his lost Red Dragon levels. Not that will matter. I doupt he will ever pass by to see that restore but it would be honourable to be done that way for Lara Dee.


sorry your facts are wrong here. There are NO Red Dragons native to Avlis (yes currently there are some spells that can summon them, but that will be fixed relatively soon). A RDD requires that the character have Red Dragon blood when they are born, i.e. when the character is created. So that means that any character created on Avlis can NEVER be a RDD no matter what CoPaP world they travel to. Laura Dee's player was a long term Avlis player and knew this, but choose to do otherwise.

what is honorable, is for the Players to respect the Rules & Guidelines on each CoPaP world that they play on.


@Quiz001 - I'm sorry that the recent events have caused you to feel that your SD character does not fit in Avlis anymore.
You see things and you say, "Why?" But I dream things that never were and say, "Why not?" George Bernard Shaw
User avatar
Jordicus
Team Member; Retired with Honors
 
Posts: 8048
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2003 3:46 pm
Location: Whitehall, PA (GMT -4)

PostAuthor: Quiz001 » Sun Apr 04, 2004 11:52 pm

*Calms down again*

Tindertwiggy: Your comment on the attitudes of other players re: SD is spot on, and I'd love nothing more than to say 'fuck-em', but I can't, they are players here too, which brings me to why I disagreed with the PrC decision: I trust 100% of the DMs here to make the right decisions 100% of the time, but I don't trust all the other players in the same way since the SD thing started, so I wouldn't like to have to rely on other players rather than DMs to be controlling who gets PrC and who doesn't.
THIS IS NOT A FREE HAIRCUT

Quiz001
Scholar of Fools
 
Posts: 479
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 10:18 am
Location: UK

PostAuthor: Vergilius » Sun Apr 04, 2004 11:55 pm

Quiz001 wrote:*Calms down again*

Tindertwiggy: Your comment on the attitudes of other players re: SD is spot on, and I'd love nothing more than to say 'fuck-em', but I can't, they are players here too, which brings me to why I disagreed with the PrC decision: I trust 100% of the DMs here to make the right decisions 100% of the time, but I don't trust all the other players in the same way since the SD thing started, so I wouldn't like to have to rely on other players rather than DMs to be controlling who gets PrC and who doesn't.


The team understands that not all players will get along 100% of the time. That is why there will be multiple ways once this all gets worked out.

Vergilius
Team Member; Retired with Honors
 
Posts: 8270
Joined: Sun May 04, 2003 2:37 am
Location: Austin Texas, again
Timezone: US Central

PostAuthor: Aloro » Mon Apr 05, 2004 12:15 am

Drakuul wrote:eg - Champion of Torm - There is no god of Torm on Avlis and therefore the PrC is not able to be taken in Avlis - However, if you travelled to a world where there IS a god Torm and you converted and RPed training for CoT then yes, you could take it there, but not on Avlis.

eg - RDD is not a Native PrC to Avlis, since no Avlisian has RD blood and thus an avlis Native could not take it period, no matter where you went.


Yup, good summation.

If your character is built in Avlis, then they do not have dragon blood. Period. We've made this very clear. So if you go to another world and level up an Avlis-native character as a RDD, you're doing something that is forbidden and makes no IC sense.

If you build a character on a plane that has red dragons, and then that character takes the RDD class there, great! That character can then go to Avlis, or wherever else they wish. We have no problem with RDDs - we just have a problem with RDDs who are born in Avlis, because they do not exist.

If your character is built in Avlis, and then travels to another plane and spends some time there, and decides to take a PrC that fits IC (e.g. Champion of Torm, assuming there's a Torm on that plane), and if this PrC is obtained through roleplaying, then great!

We don't want to stop people from doing anything that makes sense IC (e.g. taking a PrC while on another world if you roleplay through learning about it). We do want to stop people from doing things that are impossible IC (e.g. having a PrC that requires a heritage that does not exist on Avlis). We do not now nor ever plan to have any sort of rules prohibiting people with PrCs from other worlds from traveling to Avlis. Why would we?

I hope this all makes sense now.

- Aloro
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn wrote:The meaning of earthly existence lies, not as we have grown used to thinking, in prosperity, but in the development of the soul.
User avatar
Aloro
Team Member; Retired with Honors
 
Posts: 12810
Joined: Sat Dec 28, 2002 5:11 am
Location: Rainbow's End

PostAuthor: Quiz001 » Mon Apr 05, 2004 12:27 am

Okay, thanks for all the help guys. I'm keeping my Rogue/wiz on Hala now (He's having great fun there, despite an increased mortality rate :P !), but thanks to the comments, I'll keep my other char on Avlis, and just see how it pans out.

(as someone else says...)


Game on
THIS IS NOT A FREE HAIRCUT

Quiz001
Scholar of Fools
 
Posts: 479
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 10:18 am
Location: UK

PostAuthor: kokobil » Mon Apr 05, 2004 12:32 am

That guy didn't know that at that time. He thought that he could go to another CoPap world and take whatever PrC he felt like to. He believed that since the character would be eligible there he would be eligible to the other linked CoPap worlds. I believe that if he knew that "issue" about the native characters in avlis as far as Red Dragon Disciples concernes, he would start a character there and then he would come to Avlis. Unfortunately for him though the Hala link was not when he had started his character. Was that matter listed somewhere at the world rules and information boards before that happens? I don't know. To be honest i learnt about it, at that exact time, because i happened to be there. I didn't say that it was anybody's error , it was just one of those messy situations that noone is to blame but still in the end people get hurt. Still i could find an RP reason for that. He could say he died at hala and his blood was tainted by a demon so a Red Dragon that was "heppened" to fly by there at the time he saw the whole thing and offered him a blood tranmission so that he can be saved See? As easy an RP reason makes something impossible that easily another RP reason can lift this impossibility. Of course the DM's may not have taken that into consideration if he hypothetically was saying this story.

About Vroshgrak. The frase "where is the truth and where is the lie" is a frase that demonstrates in an emphatic way the fact that one can be puzzled about something and has nothing to do with calling someone a lier or a trueteller. So put your arms back into your backpack.
User avatar
kokobil
Scholar of Fools
 
Posts: 340
Joined: Thu May 15, 2003 12:56 am
Location: Greece (gmt +3)

PostAuthor: Titanium Dragon » Mon Apr 05, 2004 12:36 am

kokobil wrote:That guy didn't know that at that time. He thought that he could go to another CoPap world and take whatever PrC he felt like to. He believed that since the character would be eligible there he would be eligible to the other linked CoPap worlds. I believe that if he knew that "issue" about the native characters in avlis as far as Red Dragon Disciples concernes, he would start a character there and then he would come to Avlis. Unfortunately for him though the Hala link was not when he had started his character. Was that matter listed somewhere at the world rules and information boards before that happens? I don't know. to be honest i learnt about it at that time because i happened to be there. I didn't say that it was anybody's error , it was just one of those messy situations that noone is to blame but still in the end people get hurt. Still i could find an RP reason for that. He could say he died at hala and his blood was tainted by a demon so a Red Dragon that was "heppened" to fly by there at the time he saw the whole thing and offered him a blood tranmission so that he can be saved See? As easy an RP reason makes something impossible that easily another RP reason can lift this impossibility. Of course the DM's may not have taken that into consideration if he hypothetically was saying this story.

About Vroshgrak. The frase "where is the truth and where is the lie" is a frase that demonstrates in an emphatic way the fact that one can be puzzled about something and has nothing to do with calling someone a lier or a trueteller. So put your arms back into your backpack.


I feel exactly no sympathy for that person. If you break the rules, tough cookies. Losing those RDD levels was correct; the DM did the right thing. That player screwed up, and it was no one's fault but their own.
Gilkin> ouch. how often do you roll a 20?
Cath> once every 20 rolls?
User avatar
Titanium Dragon
Sage
 
Posts: 2917
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2003 5:18 pm
Location: Corvallis, OR (GMT - 7)

PostAuthor: kokobil » Mon Apr 05, 2004 3:12 am

He may broke them, but he didn't know he was braking them. That's all i am saying. That was a big misunderstanding. Yes the DM did his duty but the hole thing was the outcome of unfortunate series of events .
User avatar
kokobil
Scholar of Fools
 
Posts: 340
Joined: Thu May 15, 2003 12:56 am
Location: Greece (gmt +3)

PostAuthor: Deider » Mon Apr 05, 2004 3:21 am

Just so you know, choraldances made a very clear post regarding the Red Dragon Disciple with regards to Avlis PCs many months ago. We can't force everyone to read that post, but it was made clear that native Avlissians cannot take the PrC. The same was explained for the Champion of Torm.

Folks, please remember that this is a question and answer forum, not a place to hold discussions. And this particular question I feel has been thoroughly asked and answered. Thread locked.
User avatar
Deider
Uber Posting Whor3
 
Posts: 8014
Images: 3
Joined: Sun May 11, 2003 12:33 pm
Location: California
Timezone: GMT -8

PostAuthor: Strangg » Mon Apr 05, 2004 7:21 am

kokobil wrote:He may broke them, but he didn't know he was braking them. That's all i am saying. That was a big misunderstanding. Yes the DM did his duty but the hole thing was the outcome of unfortunate series of events .


Ignorance of the rules is no excuse, nor is it a valid defense. The unfortunate part was that your friend coudln't suck it up and play on.




~S
Fighters do it face to face, Rogues may do it from behind, Rangers can do it from a distance, Wizards do it from out of nowhere, Clerics may not do it at all, Barbarians may do it in a rage, Sorcerers can do it on a whim, Bards on a note, but Paladins have to pay for it!

"You have a way with words... like a sage with a two-by-four" ~ Ava
User avatar
Strangg
Team Member; Retired with Honors
 
Posts: 4179
Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2002 11:25 am
Location: Heaven

Previous

Return to The Avlis Project: Ask the Team

Who is online

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Yahoo [Bot]