Deglos - (0)
Wilderness - (0)
Visimontium - (0)
Underdark - (0)
Total players: 5
Gallery

Links Menu

Will my char be able to travel?

Forum for posing direct questions to the Avlis Team. Purpose is to facilitate Team/Player communication.

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Dungeon Masters

Will my char be able to travel?

PostAuthor: Quiz001 » Sun Apr 04, 2004 3:27 pm

Recently, I've taken one of my two chars off Avlis permanently and am setting him up on Hala. He will continue his development there, and will hopefully take a PrC at some time in the future. He won't ever be RPed on Avlis again, but I would like him to occasionally visit some of the other Copap worlds. Question is, will he be blocked from travelling through Avlis to get to the other world portals because he was started here but took his PrC elsewhere? I may be doing the same thing with my other char too in the near future, and as a lot of hours have gone into them, I'd obviously not wish to abandon and re-make them again (one's lvl 10, the other's 7).

Thanks
THIS IS NOT A FREE HAIRCUT

Quiz001
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: Vroshgrak » Sun Apr 04, 2004 3:35 pm

you should be accepted on any world.
Vroshgrak
Team Member; Retired with Honors

Timezone: Pacific (GMT -8/-7)
DM Avatar: Hurine

PostAuthor: Quiz001 » Sun Apr 04, 2004 3:40 pm

you should be accepted on any world.

Yes I know, but I'm asking the team because I'm not sure about their stance on a char who's taken his PrC elsewhere after being started here -( even though he won't be played on Avlis again) being allowed to log into Avlis for the purpose of simply getting to other portals.

Quiz001
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: Deider » Sun Apr 04, 2004 4:03 pm

Your question confuses me. Have you been banned on Avlis? Are you leaving Avlis because you don't like playing here? Are you leaving Avlis because you don't like our stance on PrCs and would rather be able to take one at will on some other server?

Avlis is not the hub of CoPaP - you won't be able to get to every world directly from Avlis. And as long as you haven't been banned on Avlis then you can enter its servers via any other server linked to it (e.g. Hala).

I surely hope this answers your question. More importantly, I hope you find the server that fits you best, entertains you the most, and brings you the most fun.
Deider
Uber Posting Whor3

Timezone: GMT -8

PostAuthor: Quiz001 » Sun Apr 04, 2004 4:30 pm

Deider

No, I haven't been banned (lol- at least I hope not!) - the reason I took my char away to Hala was purely because of the PrC decision - I didn't like it, so I did as Silk suggested and voted with my feet, that's all. I'd like to keep at least one of my two main chars here, but the remaining one is too far away from being eligible for his chosen PrC (I took a long route!) for the quest to remain automated that long (AA), so I think he'll have to go too. I don't want to tread on people's toes here, and understand fully that Avlis doesn't want players 'buggering off' simply to attain their PrC and then coming back, which is why the one I've already re-located will never RP on Avlis again - it just wouldn't feel right to me either.

I know that all Copap is not accessible from Avlis, but since Hala only seems to have one portal - here - (unless there's something I don't know), then it's my only way through to Rockhome and Travellers (if it works again).

Don't get me wrong, I love Avlis to bits, and I'll start another char here in the future if it's not going down one of the PrC paths, but at the moment, two chars are hard enough to deal with - I have to sleep sometimes :)

Quiz001
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: CPU » Sun Apr 04, 2004 4:41 pm

There is a rumor floating around, I saw it posted on the Rockhome boards, that if you take a PrC from a linked world, your character will physically be unable to portal out from that world to Avlis. The suggestion was made that it was coded into the portals.

I figured it was the stuff of Urban Legend, but it's out there.
CPU

PostAuthor: Khaelindra » Sun Apr 04, 2004 4:55 pm

Silk got her PrC (all of her first 9 levels in fact) on HALA, but plays a lot on Avlis these days. She even did the AA-quest on Avlis once, but that was after she already had 2 levels of AA.

I'd think it very strange if the Avlis-team didn't trust the other worlds to take a serious approach to opening up PrC's and allow their PrC characters on Avlis also, and i have no indication that they don't. Of course you're not supposed to do server-hops or world-hops just for a PrC or some uber-item (or at least it's not looked upon favourably i'm guessing), but each CoPaP world has to live up to certain standards put down in the CoPaP rules and regulations. Those that are accepted as CoPaP worlds are not considered side-kicks of AVLIS but mature worlds in their own right, with their own team that is trusted to make the right decisions. Right?

There is a rumor floating around, I saw it posted on the Rockhome boards, that if you take a PrC from a linked world, your character will physically be unable to portal out from that world to Avlis. The suggestion was made that it was coded into the portals.

Well, consider that rumour proven untrue by me and all other characters with PrC's that have travelled through the portals. :wink:

Cheers!

Mickey
Lady Divinia Cecil, Combat Medic; Frederique Moriana, Dragon Avalanche; Amber, redhead Bandit Mascotte; Khaelindra, Mystic Archer

AbominationFascination: "Powergaming without RP is masturbatory and RP without combat and growth is fluffy poseurism."

Gary Gygax wrote:
A Master role player is one who is willing and able to bend their character concept to make the game more enjoyable for all involved.

Everybody Loves Paula (tm)
Khaelindra
Contributor

Timezone: GMT+1

PostAuthor: Quiz001 » Sun Apr 04, 2004 5:06 pm

CPU - yes , that's one of the rumours I'd heard too, which is what prompted me to ask the question. On top of which, I didn't want to piss the DMs off here if they saw me on the server while passing through.

Khaelindra - cheers for clearing it up :P

Quiz001
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: Vergilius » Sun Apr 04, 2004 5:33 pm

This is the first I've heard of that rumor, and I'd find it hard to believe that its true.

Secondly, I think you're overreacting to the recent PrC buzz on Avlis. The AA quest will remain automated, I'm sure. Perhaps you could explain your fear more clearly as I don't exactly understand its basis.

Vergilius

Timezone: US Central

PostAuthor: GreyLynx » Sun Apr 04, 2004 5:34 pm

I think a lot of this stems from a pre-warning given out that if an Avlis character runs to another CoPaP world just to get a PrC class that is locked on Avlis but not locked on that world, that character would not be viewed favorably. I think that view would seem reasonable to most DMs and players of all worlds that are serious about role-playing.

If you have a character who started out Avlissian, then spent a chunk of time on another world, came into contact with a particular group of people, then over time found you agreed with this group and accepted training (i.e. after a bit of role-play on the world, took a PrC class), your character would still be allowed to come back to Avlis.

GreyLynx
Elder Sage

Timezone: EDT (GMT-5)

PostAuthor: Vergilius » Sun Apr 04, 2004 5:44 pm

GreyLynx wrote:I think a lot of this stems from a pre-warning given out that if an Avlis character runs to another CoPaP world just to get a PrC class that is locked on Avlis but not locked on that world, that character would not be viewed favorably. I think that view would seem reasonable to most DMs and players of all worlds that are serious about role-playing.

I know and understand this, but he specifically mentioned AA, which is currently available via scripted quest. He also mentioned something about "before" the quest gets locked down or something like that, which just isn't the case and I assume to be a leftover from the recent buzz.

You are right with regards to the PrC. For any class not available, you can send word to the DMs for a quest that would enable that PrC, so there is really no need to go to a CoPAP world, take a PrC and then come back. Doing so either states that you don't have the confidence in your RP ability to even ask, OR that you have such confidence but don't trust the team to adjucate fairly.

Vergilius

Timezone: US Central

PostAuthor: GreyLynx » Sun Apr 04, 2004 5:58 pm

Vergilius wrote:
GreyLynx wrote:I think a lot of this stems from a pre-warning given out that if an Avlis character runs to another CoPaP world just to get a PrC class that is locked on Avlis but not locked on that world, that character would not be viewed favorably. I think that view would seem reasonable to most DMs and players of all worlds that are serious about role-playing.

I know and understand this, but he specifically mentioned AA, which is currently available via scripted quest. He also mentioned something about "before" the quest gets locked down or something like that, which just isn't the case and I assume to be a leftover from the recent buzz.

You are right with regards to the PrC. For any class not available, you can send word to the DMs for a quest that would enable that PrC, so there is really no need to go to a CoPAP world, take a PrC and then come back. Doing so either states that you don't have the confidence in your RP ability to even ask, OR that you have such confidence but don't trust the team to adjucate fairly.

Heh, my response wasn't directed to you, Verg. I was writing while you were posting and didn't see yours. Sorry for the cross-over. I was just saying in general, that folks seem to have been getting confused about the whole PrC thing. They seem to think that PrC's are forbidden on Avlis unless they are earned on Avlis, which is not the case. All Avlis (and probably all the other worlds) wants is that PrC's be earned in a way that is consistent with being IC.

For example, Champion of Tyr. An Avlis character should not run to another world just to get that. That's totally OOC. But if an Avlis character travelled to a world where Tyr was present and took up residence for a while, and after a fair bit of time converted to the church of Tyr, then after a bit more, received training as a Champion, then they should not worry about some day wanting to travel back to Avlis. Everything was done ICly. At least that is my take on Avlis' viewpoint.

GreyLynx
Elder Sage

PostAuthor: Quiz001 » Sun Apr 04, 2004 6:21 pm

Just to clear things up, the char still on Avlis is the one I'm planning to move to AA, but is still a little way off (even though he's lvl 10).

The char who's gone is a rogue/wizard, moving to........SD of course. I don't think I'd be happy playing an SD on Avlis anyway after the recent stuff on the forums - I play to enjoy, not to feel like a leper.

I wasn't actually planning on explaining any of this, but there you go... I'm not happy about the PrC situation because (only in my opinion) I don't want to have a character development mechanism under any control of other players. Yes, a PrC is a major development of a character, but I don't see it as more important than your choice to, say, multiclass to a druid, ranger,... whatever. I know it's the most important step of your character's career, which makes it even more important to me not to have it predefined or controlled in any way by other players, except in their indirect influence through RP. I don't want an argument about any of this, it's just my opinion, and the reason I don't feel comfortable doing it on Avlis.

Quiz001
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: Flakey » Sun Apr 04, 2004 6:57 pm

This concerns Hala a bit so I thought I would bring the following points up

As Hala Ambassador I refused more than 85% of requests for Avlis players, for PRCs.

No Avlis character will be allowed to take RDD or Champion of Torm in Hala.

Most of the requests I have turned down is because the first time this player was noticed in Hala, was thier request for a prc.

Other Avlis characters who spend a fair amount of time in Hala, and actively search for/develop thier character towards a certain Prc will be given the chance to go for a prc.
Last edited by Flakey on Sun Apr 04, 2004 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Minds are like parachutes, they have to be open to work.
Flakey
Apprentice Scholar

PostAuthor: GreyLynx » Sun Apr 04, 2004 7:09 pm

Regarding the rumor CPU mentioned, it is from this thread on the Rockhome boards: http://www.digi-fix.net/mystara/viewtop ... &start=105
posted by a team-member there.

GreyLynx
Elder Sage

PostAuthor: Quiz001 » Sun Apr 04, 2004 7:10 pm

Other Avlis characters who spend a fair amount of time in Hala, and actively search for/develop thier character towards a certain Prc will be given the chance to go for a prc.

That's fine with me - it's another reason I'm actually basing my char there, rather than visiting. For me there would be no point in taking a PrC unless my char developed properly in the given environment (in this case Hala) first.

Quiz001
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: kokobil » Sun Apr 04, 2004 10:37 pm

I tell you a sad story based on this. I knew a person who was fighter/bard. After the Hala link was established he went there and spent some time too . After several weeks i saw him again . I noticed strange wings on his back and he told me he had taken Red Dragon PrC. So we went to FoM. We were at the first area and there he disappeared. A DM portaled him on another area where after he questioned him about the way he obtained the Red Dragon levels he striped him of those levels. This fact drove him very sad and from that very moment he decided to quit playing NWN and Avlis and left for good. So I believe the letter of Quiz001 is very justified if we base on these facts. If the team has no problem with that for Quiz001 then they should apologise to that other player that left like that and should restore him to his lost Red Dragon levels. Not that will matter. I doupt he will ever pass by to see that restore but it would be honourable to be done that way for Lara Dee.
kokobil
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: Vroshgrak » Sun Apr 04, 2004 10:53 pm

if a character is native to avlis, they dont have red dragon blood.
if the character isnt native to avlis, theres a slim chance they have red dragon blood. going to another world, taking a PrC that isn't allowed for a very specific reason then yes, some punishment should happen.
Vroshgrak

PostAuthor: kokobil » Sun Apr 04, 2004 10:59 pm

Vroshgrak wrote:if a character is native to avlis, they dont have red dragon blood.
if the character isnt native to avlis, theres a slim chance they have red dragon blood. going to another world, taking a PrC that isn't allowed for a very specific reason then yes, some punishment should happen.

But just above they said to Quiz001 that is ok to go to another world and taking a PrC and now you come and deny that? Where is the truth and where is the lie? *seems puzzled*. And if you are speaking the truth than the team should have disabled this PrC at Hala because shit happen this way or SPECIFY from the beggining this issue so that not such misunderstandings happen.

So Quiz001 the correct answer to your questions is : Yes you can go to hala and take a PrC there as long as this one is NOT a Red Dragon!

PS I wonder what if he was taking the Champion of Torm.....
PS2 When the rules are not specific and clear then misunderstandings do happen :(
kokobil
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: Vroshgrak » Sun Apr 04, 2004 11:06 pm

what? im lying now? now im just confused. could you explain what you meant.
Vroshgrak

PostAuthor: tindertwiggy » Sun Apr 04, 2004 11:22 pm

There is no issue with characters legitamately taking a PrC on another world and coming back to Avlis.

Please don't do this:
1. Take a portal to another world, level up in a PrC with no IC involvement, and hopping back to Avlis. This has been done before, sometimes in a matter of minutes. As more and more CoPaP worlds make PrC's available only though dm or scripted quest, this will becoming less and less of a problem.

2. Take RDD with a native to Avlis character. There are no Red dragons on Avlis, there will be no RDD's. This is the issue the team had with the "sad story" above. Really CoPaP is turning into a huge multiverse of which Avlis is just one part. There are many other CoPaP worlds that contain red dragons. If you want to play a RDD start a charcter on one of them. The same holds true for drow, duergar, etc....

Quiz001: As for people making someone "feel like a leper," fuck em. Play your character. The people recently bitching about SD are in no place to make judgements about your RP and decision to take the class. The truth is they would not be bitching if HiPS was properly implemented... So play your character and enjoy doing such. Please do not let a very small yet very vocal number of discontents drive you away. They have no rights to do such beyond what you yourself allow them.

We are a community of rpers, if someone sticks around on Avlis it is because they enjoy the rp and community. As such we need to keep in mind that everyone here knows how to RP, and as I see every time I dm, everyone here does a very good job of RPing. So it is not a player's place to judge their peers' choices. Nor is it their right. Leave it to the dm's, and game on.
Happiness is baked with one part bat guano, one part sulfur.

tindertwiggy
Legacy DM
Legacy DM

PostAuthor: Quiz001 » Sun Apr 04, 2004 11:27 pm

*Tears hair out*

What is this stuff about RDD? I don't want to be a RDD! One of my chars hopes to be a Shadowdancer one day, the other an Arcane Archer! How the hell did this start?

*looks at first post* haven't you ever just wished you never asked something? :?

Quiz001
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: Drakuul » Sun Apr 04, 2004 11:28 pm

*Clears throat*

It would seem that the current confusion is caused by "Native PrCs" and "non-native PrCs"

Native PrCs - The prCs that you could theoretically take from your home world.
eg - Arcane Archer - quested and scripted quest to take it
ShadowDancer - Player run troupe that can initiate you into the realms of SD

Non Native PrCs - The PrCs that you will NEVER be allowed to take on your home planet - and maybe not ever.

eg - Champion of Torm - There is no god of Torm on Avlis and therefore the PrC is not able to be taken in Avlis - However, if you travelled to a world where there IS a god Torm and you converted and RPed training for CoT then yes, you could take it there, but not on Avlis.

eg - RDD is not a Native PrC to Avlis, since no Avlisian has RD blood and thus an avlis Native could not take it period, no matter where you went.

This list is obvioulsy changeable depending on where your character is /what world you started on

In all of the above, RP should play a great part in how you get your PrC
Last edited by Drakuul on Sun Apr 04, 2004 11:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Drakuul
Sage

PostAuthor: tindertwiggy » Sun Apr 04, 2004 11:29 pm

kokobil wrote:
Vroshgrak wrote:if a character is native to avlis, they dont have red dragon blood.

But just above they said to Quiz001 that is ok to go to another world and taking a PrC and now you come and deny that? Where is the truth and where is the lie? *seems puzzled*. And if you are speaking the truth than the team should have disabled this PrC at Hala because shit happen this way or SPECIFY from the beggining this issue so that not such misunderstandings happen.

So Quiz001 the correct answer to your questions is : Yes you can go to hala and take a PrC there as long as this one is NOT a Red Dragon!

PS2 When the rules are not specific and clear then misunderstandings do happen :(

koko the rules were, are, and have been clearly stated. As for blaming the Hala team, why? Why should Hala disable a prc because Avlis pc's are not playing by Avlis rules?

Hala is not Avlis is not Rockhome is not Any other CoPaP world.
Happiness is baked with one part bat guano, one part sulfur.

tindertwiggy
Legacy DM
Legacy DM

PostAuthor: Flakey » Sun Apr 04, 2004 11:45 pm

kokobil wrote:But just above they said to Quiz001 that is ok to go to another world and taking a PrC and now you come and deny that? Where is the truth and where is the lie? *seems puzzled*. And if you are speaking the truth than the team should have disabled this PrC at Hala because shit happen this way or SPECIFY from the beggining this issue so that not such misunderstandings happen.

Vrosh was talking about the very specific classes that are banned. No Avlis character can have red dragon blood therefore they can not take RDD, even if they went to Hala to get it. The case you quoted was before my time, and either he abused the fact that the class was not locked for him, or a dm opened it in error. If the dm indeed open it in error he should have gone back to Hala to correct it, and not just leave the game.

Champion of Torm is disallowed in Hala as well, because Torm does not exsist in Hala.

Any of the Avlis holywarrior classes are also not allowed to be opened.

I hope this makes it clear to you.
Minds are like parachutes, they have to be open to work.
Flakey
Apprentice Scholar

Next

Return to The Avlis Project: Ask the Team