M'Chek - (0)
Deglos - (0)
Wilderness - (0)
Underdark - (0)
Total players: 2
Gallery

Links Menu

Multiple character files with the same name

Forum for posing direct questions to the Avlis Team. Purpose is to facilitate Team/Player communication.

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Dungeon Masters

Multiple character files with the same name

PostAuthor: Fire Monkey » Thu Mar 25, 2004 6:36 pm

I am sure I have seen a post about this somewhere but searched for ages and couldn't find it anywhere.

Basically I got permission ages ago to re-roll one of my characters in order to change something 'un-avlisian' about them. So far I just haven't got around to it. Anyway, my question is.......

If I make another character with exactly the same name as my current character (i.e. in order to re-roll it), will this cause problems?

I remember previously there were problems portaling to other worlds because of the way the .bic file was renamed. I think this issue was sorted, but are there any other potential porblems?

Thanks,
F.M.
Fire Monkey
Master Sage

PostAuthor: Nighthawk4 » Thu Mar 25, 2004 6:50 pm

It does not work if you use EXACTLY the same name. You have to make some slight change, at least - add a fullstop (period), use a different spelling, make one letter upper-case instead of lower case, etc.

Otherwise, you will still get the old character and it will probably mess up the database entries for both characters.

Finally, the DMs will get annoyed and smite you from on high :twisted:

Hehe - just kidding about the last point - maybe :wink:
Life is never as bad as you think it is, although that doesn't help at the time.

Orleron wrote:I think it's a fun idea if you can idiot-proof it. Problem is God always builds a better idiot. :P

Please visit:
Avlis UK, ACE Forum and SATF Forum

Nighthawk4
Eldest DM
Eldest DM

Timezone: GMT
DM Avatar: DruEl

PostAuthor: Jordicus » Thu Mar 25, 2004 7:07 pm

YES. NH is correct. a duplicate character name in your server vault will 90% of the time ruin both characters. some people are lucky...

just add an extra space after the last name and that is more than enough difference for the DB to keep track of the 2 characters seperatly
You see things and you say, "Why?" But I dream things that never were and say, "Why not?" George Bernard Shaw
Jordicus
Team Member; Retired with Honors

PostAuthor: Fire Monkey » Thu Mar 25, 2004 7:34 pm

Thanks for the quick response guys. I will do as you say and add an extra space at the end of the character name.
Thank you muchly :D .

F.M.
Fire Monkey
Master Sage

Return to The Avlis Project: Ask the Team